The best start (3 songs or so) to an album

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger contains by far my favorite opening trio. While "Let Me Drown" (from Superunknown) still reigns as my favorite opening song of all time, the first three from BMF just kick things off and run with it. "Rusty Cage" is a hugely energetic opener, while "Outshined" & "Slaves & Bulldozers" slow down the tempo while introducing the sheer heaviness that awaited in the remaining songs.

This post is mostly a reminder to myself to go back and listen to Badmotorfinger again because man, that was a hell of an album.

Badmotorfinger is fantastic, but you really can't say the beginning is fantastic and have everybody else doing 4 songs without extending the love to "Jesus Christ Pose."

If you're going to extend it, you have to include JCP, though there's not really a bad song to be heard throughout. There's a goddamn sax solo in "Room A Thousand Years Wide", for crying out loud.

• Like 1

The opening song always has to set the tone for the rest of the album, while the second and third have to keep up that mentality. It always throws me when an album goes from uptempo opener to moody second/third track. Save it for later. While it also helps if one of the first three songs isn't the first single, it doesn't kill things for me like it used to.

Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger contains by far my favorite opening trio. While "Let Me Drown" (from Superunknown) still reigns as my favorite opening song of all time, the first three from BMF just kick things off and run with it. "Rusty Cage" is a hugely energetic opener, while "Outshined" & "Slaves & Bulldozers" slow down the tempo while introducing the sheer heaviness that awaited in the remaining songs.

Totally agree with that first paragraph Midget. I love the Stooges first album, it's a fine piece of rock and roll. Track 1 and 2 are incredible, possibly the best tracks the Stooges ever recorded (1969, I wanna be your dog). Unfortunately, track three is We Will Fall, 10 minutes of some of the most mundane shit you'll ever hear, sad that it came from one of the greatest bands to ever exist.

On the other hand, Raw Power's first three tracks are fucking screaming. You've got Search and Destroy, Gimme Danger, and my personal favorite, Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell.

Also, love Johnny Thunders L.A.M.F., one of my all-time favorite albums. Born to Lose, Baby Talk, and then All By Myself. Thunders is among my favorite guitar players, and I do believe this album is him at his finest. It's one of the greatest rock and roll albums ever recorded, and one of my all-time favorites. He managed to make love songs sound tough.

Badmotorfinger is fantastic, but you really can't say the beginning is fantastic and have everybody else doing 4 songs without extending the love to "Jesus Christ Pose."

If you're going to extend it, you have to include JCP, though there's not really a bad song to be heard throughout. There's a goddamn sax solo in "Room A Thousand Years Wide", for crying out loud.

And in retrospect, Searching With My Good Eye Closed is the perfect show opener for the comeback shows. The recorded intro to the crash in of the drums & guitar combo is electric live. The intro really helped build the atmosphere that was already present.

Fuck it, someone make the Badmotorfinger Appreciation Thread. :shifty: