MLB 2K13 / MLB 13: The Show

Toe

I picked up The Show 13 yesterday and it is FANTASTIC. I Anyone who was bugged by the terrible load times in previous versions will be happy to know that you can install two versions of the game initially. A smaller one so you can jump right in and play faster but load times will be a little longer. If you choose the larger install the load times will be significantly shorter. If anyone has picked up a copy and would like to play against a long time EWBer (I think I started posting right before the EWD days. I just lurk a bit now) my PSN is Nittany_Lions_88

I will be getting The Show eventually. Just waiting on whether they're doing the digital download in the UK Vita store again. If so, hopefully they don't wait til 6 months after release to do so.

Won't be getting 2k13, read a lot of press suggesting it's just a cash in to close out the license and that it's actually a step back from 2k12 in places.

If you have the option go with The Show. I haven't played a 2k version in years, but I'm going to be picking up the new one today. I'm hoping that since I haven't played one in a while it'll be a breath of fresh air, but I have my doubts. Still, some baseball is better then no baseball at all.

Is this year's Show worth it if you're still playing MLB 12? I have no doubt it's a very good game...but I only got MLB 12 on the cheap in like October and am still enjoying it. It seems that this year's game made a few small franchise tweaks (not the huge overhaul promised 2 years ago...I imagine that is being held out until PS4 now).

The soundtrack on The Show is so awful. The song with Big Boi and Kelly Rowlands is especially bad. :( I guess it's nice when that the biggest gripe I've got so far.

Bombay Bicycle Club are on the soundtrack, so it can't be that bad.

They didn't make much fanfare about it, but both PS3 (£40) and Vita (£24) versions popped up in the European PSN store last night. So happy. Had to trade some stuff in and upgrade my memory card to a 32gb one though.

After playing a little of 2k13 it's obvious that it isn't nearly as polished as The Show. I've only played as my batter but while it isn't as good as The Show, it isn't as horrible as I was afraid of from what people have said.

Its the exact same as MLB 2K12 with the Astros in the AL. It has a few more glitches, but nothing game killing so far. I like both series. 2K is more arcade-y, The Show is more sim. It's obvious that this year, 2K didnt put a lot of work in to the game. It's not an awful game, it is just disappointing to see nothing change from 2K12.

Edited by Toe

Is it improved enough over The Show 12 to be worth buying?

I wouldn't say so. I'm a huge baseball fan, so I love this year's game for all the little stuff (like player pics not being real pics unless the guy plays for the same team he plays for in real life). The animations are a little smoother this year and there are some noticeable improvements to RTTS animation-wise. But the base of the game is the same and you could probably wait for it to come down in price.