[TEW '13] Supplemental Mods

So, here's an idea that's been floating around my head for the past few days.

In TEW mod-making, generally, the focus has always been on playability over content, abandoning the EWR method of trying to fit in every worker we can find information on. And that's great - that should be our focus.

However, I often find that I'll be playing a game on a TEW mod and get really annoyed when I get an idea for a specific worker, only to find that they don't exist in this mod. Sometimes they seem like a glaring omission, sometimes it's just because my tastes run somewhat obscure, and I have plans for a wrestler off the top of my head who, quite frankly, no one else has missed from the data all this time.

The solution shouldn't have to be spamming the update threads with "this local worker should be added, I'm not sure of his stats". Making a mod for TEW is hard fucking work, and I appreciate that all too much.

What I'm proposing - and what I intend to start out doing, and could potentially enlist people's help in doing - is a series of "supplemental" mods.

Rather than try and create a mod from the ground up, or try and push already overly busy mod-makers to include obscure workers or promotions that only interest a handful of people, I suggest we take full advantage of TEW's "import" feature, and create mods tailored to specific needs, not designed to be playable, but designed to bolster the existing mod.

For example, my first project will be a British Wrestling mod. Mostly focusing on workers, teams and relationships, rather than a fully functioning game world, the goal will be to provide an "add-on" to an existing modern-day mod, so that when you find that the worker you're looking for isn't included in your current mod, you can just import him or her from this one. Or else you can download all the supplemental mods, as more are released, and import them to your data right away.

I'm looking at a few specific themes, with the following being the first on my list;

1. British Wrestlers

2. Celebrities

3. Joshi

4. American veterans/old-timers

There's a whole world of other possibilities - be it other themed groups of workers, or just a "venues" mod, a "Dojos" mod, or anything else of that nature.

• Like 2

Be sure to read TEW development team member Derek B's mod-making guide on the GDS forums before you get started on this, Skummy. It's a long read but it'll teach you the ins and outs of all the mechanics to the core and will result in more realistic, Cornellverse-like data that gels much better with the game than most of the modern day mods we've had for years now do. Both Fleisch and NWAvsWWF over there are doing modern day mods that are nearing completion now and are tailored to the game's mechanics because of that guide.

That said, this is is an awesome idea and I'm really looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

By British wrestling what do you mean, the current world or would it also go back to the World of Sport era or even beyond that, I'd gladly offer any help with that evn though it would mostly be with info and such if needed.

The idea first came to me at a RevPro show, so the initial idea is for it to be more modern-day, as it will be designed as an add-on for a modern-day mod. However, as the "World Of Sport" era is one of my personal favourites, it will be represented in some capacity, if just to include some of the veterans that are still working, or still involved in a non-wrestling capacity.

Would you be creating from scratch or would you rather fix up workers, if its the latter feel free to convert and take workers from my TEW10 mod (the topic below this one), it had the majority of top UK talent since I have most of the key feds but tends to drop off a little when it comes to newer guys since their isnt much on them but for most its a good starting point.