Alien: Isolation

brenchill

I bought this game with my birthday voucher from EB. Of course I had to add more money to it but hell I thought why not buy this for what is effectively more than 50% off?

It came with that dlc mission from Alien included. The one where you could choose to be Dallas, Ripley or Parker. I went down the ladder and started exploring. Ended up in a room and after searching around i noticed the Alien wander past the door I'd come through. I was just wondering if the best move was to go through the second door, or back through that first door assuming that the Alien probably wont track back if I give it time to clear the immediate area around the door when it burst through the second door. I forgot everything else, started running with no purpose and got skewered within 30 seconds. :P

So, I started this today, just finished Mission two and the game is already getting on my nerves. I play with a headset on with the volume at it's max. And the sounds that are made on the left of Ripley I hear in my left ear it's just really fucking creepy. Next mission the Alien will also be lurking around....DAMN YOU AMAZING SCARY GAMES.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bringing this tread back after Secret Santa.

LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The original Alien film is probably my favourite horror film and probably my favourite sci-fi film too. From the very beginning it nails the look of Alien. Then when you get onto the crumbly, lonely and creepy space station / Nostromo copy the sense of foreboding and dread just keeps ramping up. Just before meeting the Alien properly, you spend a whole chunk of time hearing the chirruping in the vents above you. Then when it makes its full appearance you realise that you're not safe from it any more.

Indeed it's suddenly appeared from the vents at me a few times now. If it happens you're just screwed. The loading screen tells you not to run, but seriously, when you can't kill the thing, you really feel like you're in the position where there's nothing else you can do, even if you're certain you can't escape it. That's a great feeling to instill in a game - that sense of helplessness.

The Working Joes are wonderfully creepy too. Moreso in fact I'd say. From meeting them the first time (they speak professionally but without emotion), then shortly after getting a warning from another ("I wouldn't go in there if I were you") but still feeling safe around them if you "behave"....then suddenly you see what they're capable of and the game has suddenly tricked you back out of feeling safe into feeling helpless again.

I just finished a section where I had to call a lift without getting spotted by a camera that would call a Joe. Well as I waited for the lift the camera spotted me and sounded the alarm. I was too scared to look back as I ran for the opening lift, dived inside, pressed the button as quickly as possible, turned as the doors closed to see a Working Joe right outside the door and literally an inch or two away from getting inside. That was probably the most "frightening" thing so far.

The setting is glorious though. A couple of glimpses out of windows has shown the rest of the vast ship orbiting that huge planet, with pieces of the ship breaking off. It's all just.....brilliant, to be fair.

A couple of glitches though but, hey, it's the PS3 working at about 120% so I can forgive it.

In an earlyish level where I have to get a keycard from the medical facility and the alien turns up and stalks you around the wards and rooms. Some good scares and near-misses. It follows you from area to area within it though. In the end I get into the vents and see the legs a few times as it stalks past. It must have heard me or something though as suddenly it runs past me and I hear a strange rattling noise.

Flashlight on, turn back down the vent and the bloody thing has doubled back and snuck up on me from behind, killing me in the vent! Quite a shock to be fair.