Tropes in television and film

Benji

There's far too many shows based around "oh, this guy notices stuff people don't but he's not Sherlock Holmes honestly he's not."

That is indeed very annoying. The exception to this trope would be House because the producers of the show were up front with the concept and admitted early on that they were basicly doing "what if Sherlock Holmes was a doctor" and because Hugh Laurie as House is awesome.

In action films when it looks like the hero has won and then somehow he hasn't quite and everything is extended by another 20 minutes of pointlessness.

Django Unchained kinda did this for me.

It wasn't pointless (he had to rescue Broomhilda and avenge Schultz) but the movie really dragged by that point and I think it would've been better if the resolved everything during the shoot-out in which Schultz got killed.

Edited by Hellraiser

Quirk for the sake of quirk.

I watched Greenberg the other night and felt it was just trying super hard to be a cool indie movie. Music snob, check. Main character with mental issues, check. Drugs, check. Falls for the "quirky" girl, check. The story itself was average at best, but with them doing all this to meet some indie criteria, it became almost unwatchable.

Also I think New Girl is terrible at trying far too hard to be quirky. This is before mentioning how bad Series 3 was.

Whether it's because the series has too many episodes, or the show has been going on for too long, I hate when they come up with increasingly cheaper ways for the villain to escape/survive.

Two shows I'd like to note are two of my favourites. Merlin and Total Drama. By the 5th season of Merlin I was like "Forget the narrative, just bloody kill Morgana already." with Total Drama season 1(which is the best season) the increasingly cheap ways they kept the villain Heather in the competition was kind of irritating. Perhaps with fewer episodes it might have felt less forced.