The 12 in 12 Challenge

probablyoliver

• 3 weeks later...

And that's February done. This month I actually managed to start and complete four games, which is insane and unprecedented and a feat I doubt I'll replicate the rest of the year.

I already covered Mirror's Edge Catalyst and enjoyed my time with it. Finicky, frustrating and with a pretty chap story but the core mechanics were super fun.

Next up I finally sat down and played through season 2 of The Walking Dead and holy fuck what an emotional roller-coaster that was. I think I preferred it slightly to the first season, as I always thought the first season was more a collection of small, self-contained moments whereas this seemed more like a cohesive narrative throughout. Some of the choices were downright impossible and that last choice especially had my gawping at my tv, hands shaking and tears streaming down my face for a good 10 minutes. Definitely worth playing if you've not already.

I went a fair bit lighter after that with Gravity Rush Remastered and hot damn, that game is ludicrously fun. The story is bonkers with so many loose ends but the writing was brilliant and at points genuinely funny. Combat was fun, flying around the city was excellent and all the challenges, side quests and DLC was excellent too. Definitely not a 10/10 perfect game by any stretch but it was waaaaaay more fun than it had any right to be and was absolutely worth the £9 or so I paid for it.

Last and, -if I'm being honest- least was Ether One, a Myst-esque puzzler that came free with PS+ last year. First couple areas were good, with some genuinely interesting puzzles but the second half was filled with some of the most stupidly obscure stuff I've ever had to deal with in a game. The story, a journey into the mind of a dementia sufferers memory was nice and the last act was a real visceral gut punch but this one was purely for die hard fans of the genre.

It's good that I doubled my target this month because there's only one game I'll be paying any attention to in March, and I can't God damn wait for it.

My main February game was Uncharted 2, which is basically the video game equivalent of a lower-end Marvel movie; quippy characters, some fun sequences, an overall good time but nothing especially memorable. Though that's not fair because really my big memories of that game are going to be dying in stupid ways again and again and again and again, out of a mix of my own stupidity (MAYBE I CAN JUMP ONTO THAT wait nooooo) and the game being frustratingly vague quite often. Uncharted 3 will definitely be the game for one of these coming months as I work through the series, but not the next two at the very least.

I also beat the first season of the new Hitman, technically, but that was literally in like the first two hours of the month.