Nerdy spaceman... err, Epic metal shit

Bushmeister

Yes, so I've been listening to a lot of Therion's later discography (stuff like Deggial, Secret Of The Runes, Sirius B and Lemuria) and I've been meaning to find more. Like symphonic, epic metal. No power metal stuff: this is like semi-slow, dignified, with classical choirs and deep, epic vocals. The music makes you think of vikings, conquest, huge landscapes and crusades.

So, any help here?

Within Temptation, Tristania, and maybe even Sirenia could fit what you want. At least some of their material would. It's kind of hard to find what you want since it'll either be Power Metal or Gothic Metal most likely. And with Gothic Metal you're almost guaranteed death grunts. If you want music about Vikings though... WINTERSUN!!!!

Edited by damshow

Oh, I don't mind death grunts. Some of earlier Therion material and some of their cover songs also feature grunts while being epic. As long as it's no ultra-high "balls in a vice"-level of power metal shrieking, I can deal with it. I just want the epic-ness to really come forth.

Not sure exactly how epic they sound (some they do, some they don't) but check out Tyr. They're a metal band from the Faeroe Islands and not bad. (I think you can still download "The Edge" for free from their webiste... http://www.tyr.net/)

Edited by Kid Britain

Oh, I don't mind death grunts. Some of earlier Therion material and some of their cover songs also feature grunts while being epic. As long as it's no ultra-high "balls in a vice"-level of power metal shrieking, I can deal with it. I just want the epic-ness to really come forth.

Well those bands will work since they have female vocalists. The style you want is becoming increasingly popular in the metal world actually. So you're getting into it at the right time with a lot of new releases, etc. coming frequently.

Oh and Tyr kick more ass than anything.

Yeah, Kamelot are quite good. Kind of like power metal that is prog tinged...

Where the fuck did all the power metal fans come from? :P:shifty:

When you say epic, I say Rhapsody (but since they're, like, the single most popular symphonic metal band ever, you probably already know them, and me merely mentioning them has probably put you off :P). Their newest album (Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret) is greatness. Fabio isn't too high. Most of the time :P

Like Keef said, try Battlelore.

I prefer the first SoEL album, and thought the second was slightly... I dunno... off mark.

Emerald Sword > Unholy Warcry

When you say epic, I say Rhapsody (but since they're, like, the single most popular symphonic metal band ever, you probably already know them, and me merely mentioning them has probably put you off :P). Their newest album (Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret) is greatness. Fabio isn't too high. Most of the time :P

I was a power metal fan before hearing stuff by Dragonforce...

... but now I have I'm a bit of a DF mark. lol.

Hammerfall are ace! Cheesy as hell, with a whole heap of catchiness! :D

• 2 weeks later...