MLS 2009

HailtotheYo

Can anyone tell me why the MLS doesn't have the same rules as all the other leagues in the world? I mean by that; MLS has drafts right? And I read somewhere that a player cannot choose where to go himself, the federation chooses for him? That would be insane.

No. It applies only to people under a certain age, and it only applies if the player wants to go to play in the MLS. The drafted player is free to go to Europe or anywhere else if they want.

Within the league though, if Toronto drafts a certain player, then that player can only sign with Toronto until another team trades for his rights or he reaches a certain age and his rights expire. It's the same system used by the NFL, NHL and NBA. North American sports fans are used to this system. As the league grows and improves, I expect them to switch to the way everyone else does it.

Damn, Montero looks really good. Seattle's team has already come together. They're in danger of being REALLY fucking good.

Good to see that the offense continued this week and that some of the younger talent that MLS can use as "identity" (like Montero/Weaver) were showcased in the results. Two very good weekends to start the season (Y)

From what I remember reading they are putting it to a vote for the team name in Philadelphia and it will be either, AC Philadelphia, SC Philadelphia, Philadelphia Union, or Philadelphia City. And I would be surprised if the Vancouver and Portland teams are called anything else since they both have a bit of history behind them and fans wouldn't be to happy if they changed.

Seattle looks f'n good. 7 goals in three games, all three clean sheets. They're aggresive and play the ball forward constantly. The backline has formed very quickly and is giving them the ability to be a bit more direct in their attack. Keller looks great, and they've got 5 playmakers up front. Holy shit. Philly, good luck being half this good next year.

• 3 weeks later...

KC has a new stadium on the way tentatively scheduled to be done in 2011, I think the main reason that they moved into the place they are in now is so that they wouldn't have to pay the probably large amount of rent they did when the rented Arrowhead from the Chiefs.

kansas_city_wizards.jpg

That would indeed be a sweet stadium for KC (Y) ... I'm sure it was to get out of the rent, but damn it looks bad right now. Even with the fan support it just looks High School in nature. That's GOT to go.

And holy shit, I can't believe the crap up here in DC. Unfuckingbelievable that they can't get a stadium deal done in the 20 mile radius from DC. Absolutely stupid.

Ever since Alan Shearer's name started being mentioned with the Newcastle job John Carver's been rumoured to be going back there as they are known to be good friends and Carver has admitted to having a strong desire to go back to Newcastle. I wouldn't doubt that Carver will be heading there at some point in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Couple of images released of the new KC Stadium:

kcwizards_the_trails_1.jpg

kc_wizards_the_trails_2.jpg

quite different from the first ones, but looks to be more fitting of the team/league. Nice downtown setting integration. could be very good, OnGoal seems to be finally providing good ownership for the KC fans.

Indeed, I really like that move too. He's only what , 27 ? right ?

I'd love to see them grab Friend as well :shifty: .... 6'5" of front man would be lovely for the league. But yes, I really like that pick up.

I'd like to see teams in the MLS to move after some other "regional" (meaning the Americas) guys. Like say Shelton, or Rodallega :shifty:

• 1 month later...

yeah, not a bad AS match last night. Everton wore some hideous (although not as ugly as their home kits) unis last night.

Went to PK's and Everton edged the AS's. First time the AS squad has lost to international competition. I forgot who took the first PK for Everton but holy shit did he miss the broad side of the barn. Both Howard and Kellar made some nice saves.

I'm really looking forward to the second half of the season. There's been a few international signings that may (or may not) really help a couple of teams.

• 3 months later...

All right, so we're down to the semi-finals. I'm probably the only one still watching but that's fine.

RSL ? really ? wow, not at all anything I'd expect. They do play well as a team but I really didn't figure they'd get past the defending champs.

I called LA/NE in the final before the playoffs and looked well on my way to that with NE's performance in the first leg. Whoops, way to absolutely blow in the second. Chicago is consistantly a better team in the league though, so I can deal. I'm hoping they go through over f'n RSL though.

LA/Houston should prove to be entertaining. Flash VS Grit. I hate having to 'root' against the home state team, but for prediction purposes I've got to go with the best player in the league. I won't however, be upset if I lose my group if Houston goes through.

What the hell was the little scuffle about at the end of the Galaxy game?

No clue how that game ended with just one goal, could of been about six or seven in that game. Beckham literally tore them to pieces with some of the long balls. Actually really enjoyed that game, one of the first times I've had the chance to properly watch MLS.

All right, so we're down to the semi-finals. I'm probably the only one still watching but that's fine.

RSL ? really ? wow, not at all anything I'd expect. They do play well as a team but I really didn't figure they'd get past the defending champs.

I called LA/NE in the final before the playoffs and looked well on my way to that with NE's performance in the first leg. Whoops, way to absolutely blow in the second. Chicago is consistantly a better team in the league though, so I can deal. I'm hoping they go through over f'n RSL though.

LA/Houston should prove to be entertaining. Flash VS Grit. I hate having to 'root' against the home state team, but for prediction purposes I've got to go with the best player in the league. I won't however, be upset if I lose my group if Houston goes through.

I'm watching too, so you aren't completely alone. And add me to the "Salt Lake? WTF?" group, as well. I predicted an LA championship at the beginning of the season. May as well stick with them to win it, now.

I'm really ready for this season to get over though. Next year Philadelphia gets our MLS team and I'm so excited. Go UNION!

What the hell was the little scuffle about at the end of the Galaxy game?

Not really sure to be honest. There had been some "chipiness" throughout but things were kept under control. I know there was some shit feeling stemming over from let one.

No clue how that game ended with just one goal, could of been about six or seven in that game. Beckham literally tore them to pieces with some of the long balls. Actually really enjoyed that game, one of the first times I've had the chance to properly watch MLS.

Oh man, Chivas had several opportunities but dicked the cross over and over. Becks picked up in the second half but holy crap he had Buddle quite a few times but left it short. Still overall a very good game that should have seen 3 or so goals.

Yeah, next year will be fun with Philly coming in. It's funny, over at the BigSoccer forums they're already being your typical "philly fans." Should be a good ride. But seriously, how the fuck do you not get your stadium done in time to open the season ?