Gord Downie, Tragically Hip, has terminal cancer

Yeah, I am not a huge Hip fan, but I grew up close to Kingston, so I grew up hearing their songs and having people talk about how great they are, so I may actually try to get a ticket to one of their shows. Terrible news because they are a national treasure. 

• Like 1

I love Tragically Hip and was absolutely gutted when I heard this. I'm very sad that they're not coming close to me for their last tour but I get it. I'm very surprised they're doing the dates that they are doing to be honest.

Honestly, this may  sound really terrible, but being a Canadian rock band is not a very lucrative gig. My thought is that a) Gord wanted to do one last tour for himself and b) he wanted to leave the band with a little something before he goes. 

• 2 months later...

It is very hard not to like the Tragically Hip. They were never as big in Quebec as they were across the rest of the country, at least with my generation, but they were always around, always churning out hits and catchy songs and Gordie was always present on a national scale. I did manage to catch parts of the concert and I do not think i am likely to forget their performance of "Grace, Too" - that was probably one of the most heart-wrenching, emotionally unsettling performance of any song I have ever seen. They really did go out with a bang. 

• 1 year later...