The Scott McFly Prediction League

Beagle2

Hi all,

I know Scott was popular here partly for running a wrestling predictions contest, however he also used to run one for football (soccer) too. He ran it for a few years when he was in high school and during the first couple of years of doing his degree at uni, but he had to give it up to put all of his energy into his studies (which clearly paid off!).

I then took the contest over and ran it for 4 years, however I didn't do it for the 2009/2010 season due to lack of interest. However, I've decided to revive it in honour of Scott (as the Scott McFly Prediction League, or SMPL) for the 2010/2011 season and thought I'd post here to see if there were any football fans that would be interested in playing. I already have some interest from people on the forums on my website but I could probably use a few more to make it a bit more exciting.

Here's a quick summary of what happens in the contest -

- Each week I pick 6 football games for everyone to predict - one from each of the following countries - England, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

- Everyone predicts what they think the score will be - you get 1 point for the correct outcome (home win, draw, away win) or 3 points for getting the outcome and score correct.

- At the start of the 'cycle' (usually two cycles per season), fixtures are created so you play a different person each week.

- If you win against your opponent for that week you get 3 points for the main league; if you draw, you get 1 point in the league. 'Prediction Points' are also recorded in the league, which is your total points from all 6 games each week (this is basically the equivalent of the 'Goals For' total in real football leagues and is used to determine who is placed higher when more than one person has the same number of league points).

- In the past I've usually had 12 people playing, so the league would run for two 11-week cycles (one before Christmas and one after). If I get a few more players I'll just extend the league and the cycles will take a bit longer; if I get a lot more players I'll create a 2nd Division with promotions and relegations at the end of the season.

I'll be getting the system ready over the next few days and sending out emails to those that wish to join at the weekend (hopefully), and with any luck we'll be able to catch the first week of the English and Scottish leagues. The league will be run from my website, but I'd be more than happy to post up regular updates here too if there's enough interest.

I'm sorry if I've made it sound complicated, but it's really just a case of logging into a page and typing in some numbers before a certain date and time. :P

So, if anyone is interested, please post in this thread, PM me here, or email predictionleague@xboxelite.co.uk. :)

Thanks for all of the interest, folks!

I think I've got 12 people in total now, which is the number I usually start with - but I'll happily welcome a few more if anyone else still wants to join. :)

I don't think I'll be able to catch the first games of the season, but I should catch the second weekend (21st/22nd August). You'll all receive a message/email next weekend telling you all of the details of the contest and what the first set of games will be.

Hi all!

I'm still working on the website for the Prediction League, but I'm pretty sure I'll have it done tomorrow night.

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm not forgetting about it.

If anyone else still wants to join, it's not too late! Just post here and I'll get you added too. :)