Real Madrid Manager Camacho Quits

Rage

Real Madrid have confirmed that coach Jose Antonio Camacho has resigned his post in the wake of Real's poor start to the season.

Camacho, who is expected to be retained by the club in some capacity - or at least offered a new role - will be replaced in the short-term by his third coach, Mariano Garcia Romon, but only on a temporary basis.

Camacho was only appointed in May, in succession to the sacked Carlos Queiroz.  But his latest reign has surpassed in length an earlier stint as Real's coach. That was in 1998, when he walked out after just 23 days in charge following a row with then president Lorenzo Sanz.

Real have lost their last two games - 3-0 away to Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League, and 1-0 away to Espanyol in La Liga on Saturday, when Walter Samuel and Michel Salgado were both red carded.

It is understood Camacho was frustrated by his inability to win over the dressing room, and by problems in his relationship with the club's star players, the so-called "Galacticos."

From Goal.com

Edited by KoRn Fan Jamie

I feel Real Madrid is an impossible job. They are expected to win everything by the fans, the locker room is full of massive egos who pretty much do what they feel like and the managers are rarely given enough time. In saying that I think that it is pointless even having a manager because I think the players think they are too good and don't need to listen and do what the manager says. I think the players should just manage themselves.

Camacho seems to me, to be a bit of a quitter. This is the second time he's resigned from Real to my knowledge. If he didn't think he could do it; why take the job in the first place? He should've stayed til AT LEAST December or so, then quit if he wished.

Edited by The_Monkey_Molester

I think they should try and get Bianchi as their next manager. It was confirmed that Romon was gonna stay on for the year and then they were gonna see, so I think that's enough time to persuade Bianchi. Eventhough he flopped at Roma, he's still a mastermind and could be what Real need.

I think the problem might actually be the player's themselves and their oversized egos. It is stated in papers today (take that for what you will) that Raul rounded up players and went to complain to the President of Real about being dropped in favour of Owen.

Fact is the manager's decision should be final, if players don't like it it's tough. That Real players may have that amount of power means no manager will ever really be in charge and will never win the players over unless he picks Raul and his friends.

I doubt the "Galacticos" would be happy unless they got to pick the team themselves.

I have to take the defense of Camacho, though. He's a great manager from what I've seen and he's strong willed. It's his way or the highway. He showed that in his stay at Benfica. He took a bunch of prima donnas who achieved nothing besides embarassing themselves and created a team. He stood up against anybody who "begged to differ" from his opinions, and took no bullshit from the players. He made the players respect him, and the fans loved him. Hell, when Real came for a friendly against Benfica, Camacho was as cheered as Benfica, and that's saying something. If he quit, he had a damn good reason for it, because at Benfica he went through various difficulties and never quit. That's why I think he's no quitter. If he couldn't control Real's lockerroom egos, no one can.

I think the problem might actually be the player's themselves and their oversized egos. It is stated in papers today (take that for what you will) that Raul rounded up players and went to complain to the President of Real about being dropped in favour of Owen.

Thats a lie, Owens been sat on the bench most of the time coming on occasionally late on for Raul to run at a knackered defence.

The point about the egos being the problem is the right reason though, it's the same with England some of these people have such big egos (Madrid I suppose have a right to) and it ruins the game. Still, thats what happens when you abolish wage caps and overcharge fans to watch a match.

What makes you so sure it's a lie? He didn't get on in the Espanyol game, and it wouldn't surprise me if Raul complained about it. He must have a friggin huge ego, as he is like Real Madrid's equivelant to Newcastle's Alan Shearer; he's their hero and the fans (and staff perhaps?) will usually side with him.

The whole resignation smells fishy to me, but I still think Camacho is a wuss if he 'walked out' without being pushed.

It's been heavily reported by a number of sources that a group of players, including Raul, Roberto Carlos and Fernando Morientes complained to the President. Nobody has spoke out against that from Real so I took it as being reliable.

But as I think we do all agree their ego's are getting out of hand. The Galacticos were a part of the team that blew their chanes last year and have largely featured so far this year. Can you blame someone for wanting to change things up?