My Cabbages! (The Avatar Thread)

Benji

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just watched the first episode. A couple of creative changes I wouldn't have made, but otherwise a solid adaptation, and it was magical seeing so much of it in love action. Zuko actor is nailed on and Sokka actor is very faithful too.

I'd be intrigued to hear comments from anyone who didn't watch the cartoon because people who have seen it are being their usual Stan selves and being hyper protective of any slight deviation from source material that isn't a scene for scene replication.

On 25/02/2024 at 05:23, Benji said:

Just watched the first episode. A couple of creative changes I wouldn't have made, but otherwise a solid adaptation, and it was magical seeing so much of it in love action. Zuko actor is nailed on and Sokka actor is very faithful too.

I'd be intrigued to hear comments from anyone who didn't watch the cartoon because people who have seen it are being their usual Stan selves and being hyper protective of any slight deviation from source material that isn't a scene for scene replication.

Have never watched the show but am familiar with lots of the characters juts due to some conversations I've had with other podcasting folks.

I really really liked it. It's not perfect but for the most part, the foundation of the story is so strong. I can immediately see why people liked the show and can only imagine how good it is if it's able to flesh out more of the story. 

Really love Zuko and Katara's stories, especially with the context of the flashbacks. 

• Like 1

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it well enough. Thought Sokka's actor was perfect for the role. The action scenes were pretty cool and it was surprisingly violent for the very first episode of an adaptation of a children's show. 

• Like 1

Half way through and honestly I'm loving it. I feel like they haven't done Katara justice thus far (no fault of the actress, I feel like show runner decisions have nixed a strong part of her journey) but outside of that no real complaints. Some things are better than the cartoon, some things are worse, but the spirit is still there.

I love how they have merged some episodes into one another, it reminds me of the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon where they took the best elements of some comic stories and wove them together to make something even better.

Scene in episode four particularly loved...

Spoiler

When Zuko turns back to give his real feelings about Iroh's son and they talk, and you get that little sting of "Leaves From The Vine", which for those unaware of the cartoon is basically one of the most iconic songs in the show. Absolutely adores that.

• Sad 1

On 27/02/2024 at 04:58, Benji said:

Hide contents

When Zuko turns back to give his real feelings about Iroh's son and they talk, and you get that little sting of "Leaves From The Vine", which for those unaware of the cartoon is basically one of the most iconic songs in the show. Absolutely adores that.

I chose the oddest time to cut onions :crying:

• Sad 1