Games We Complete In 2024

Ruki

1. Persona 3 Reload*
2. Unicorn Overlord*
3. Final Fantasy XVI
4. Sonic CD (Sonic Origins*)

(* = also platinumed)

lol, two in one day.

Bit of a weird one this. Despite being a huge Sonic nut in the 16 bit era, I never owned/played Sonic CD due to my parents wisely not wasting their money on a Mega CD. I occasionally picked up the game via emulation in the decades since, but given how little love I had for the experience (Sonic CD's level design is trash, fight me), I never actually bothered to complete the damn thing. Until today, via Sonic Origins, which I also platinumed, so hooray.

(P.S. do not buy Sonic Origins, the ports are deeply flawed)

• Like 2

Just finished Unicorn Overlord. What a fantastic game that was. Story was a little generic, but everything else around it (gameplay, voice overs, music, etc) were superb. Vanillaware does it again!

Spoiler

1. Super Mario Wonder

2. Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy

3. Mario RPG

4. Dave The Diver

5. Silent Hill: Short Message

6. Balatro x6

7. The Exit 8

8. Luck Be A Landlord

9. Unicorn Overlord

• Like 1

Decided to give Buckshot Roulette a try since I like the aesthetic (similar to Inscryption). Not much in the way of a game though, can be beat in about 20 minutes depending on how lucky you are. 

Spoiler

1. Super Mario Wonder

3. Mario RPG

4. Dave The Diver

6. Balatro x6

7. The Exit 8

8. Luck Be A Landlord

9. Unicorn Overlord

10. Buckshot Roulette

On 30/03/2024 at 18:32, Your Mom said:

I've been going back and forth between stuff so it's been like 2 months since I actually finished a game. That changed today! I played Open Roads it's on Game Pass and it was made by the Gone Home people. It's very much that kind of game. Nothing you haven't seen before if you have played that one or like most of the other stuff but it's a kind of game I really enjoy. It's like watching a little movie that I actually control. Was about the same length too I started and finished it today in like probably a bit under 3 hours. Highly recommend it if you are a fan of their work.

Games Completed in 2024:

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Mineko's Night Market
3. Open Roads

Decided to give Open Roads a try based off your comments! Very much agree that it's more like a movie than a game, but it was enjoyable all the same! I really liked the ending where...

Spoiler

You find out that Opal's dad had been alive the whole time and he just ended up faking his own death. A nice little twist. 

A very enjoyable experience. Would recommend it to anyone who has a spare 2 hours for an interactive story.

Now I am in that in-between games stage. I am still playing FF7 Rebirth, but I can only play that on the TV.... and I am waiting for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes to come out in about 10 days. 

Spoiler

1. Super Mario Wonder

3. Mario RPG

4. Dave The Diver

6. Balatro x6

7. The Exit 8

8. Luck Be A Landlord

9. Unicorn Overlord

10. Buckshot Roulette

11. Open Roads

• Like 2

1. Persona 3 Reload*
2. Unicorn Overlord*
3. Final Fantasy XVI
5. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box

(* = also platinumed)

Having found my old 3DS, I completed this little DS game over the weekend. It served as a means to divert me when I nearly dropped £40 on the Apollo Justice trilogy (which I will get at some point). I completed the first Layton game (Curious Village) several years ago, so moved on to the second.

• Like 3

Decided I wanted a smaller sub-game (since I usually have two games on the go, FF7-R2 being the main atm) before Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes comes out next week. Decided to try out Soccer Story. It was a fun enough game, nothing mind blowing, it was going for that Golf Story feel, and I give it a C+ in that regard. The sprites are fun and expressive and the world is silly/over the top. That's about the last it gets right. The gameplay is painfully simple, and after enough stat-boosts, way too easy (I won the final match 6-1 without trying... and the final 1v1 match I won 14-0). It's also quite glitch-y at times which leads to frustration. And each zone also has the EXACT same set up. Tell them you want to play soccer, convince a team to play. Beat the team. Convince another team to play. Play the first team, then the second team, then go to the next zone. Repeat. 

It is fine and mindless, which is sometimes all you're after. It helps that it's a short game, I think I finished in 10 hours?

Spoiler

1. Super Mario Wonder

3. Mario RPG

4. Dave The Diver

6. Balatro x6

7. The Exit 8

8. Luck Be A Landlord

9. Unicorn Overlord

10. Buckshot Roulette

11. Open Roads

12. Soccer Story

Have completed other games this year but didn't use this so I'll just start with this one.

1. FFVII Rebirth

Really enjoyed it, albeit got a little frustrated from time to times. FF7 OG was such a huge part of my growing up I'm probably biased in thinking it's phenomenal though.

• Like 3

1. Persona 3 Reload*
2. Unicorn Overlord*
3. Final Fantasy XVI
5. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
6. Professor Layton and the Lost Future

(* = also platinumed)

When I was perhaps 25% of the way through this one, I made a comment in the General Gaming Thread about how it was particularly bonkers compared to the prior two Layton games. Having now finished it, I can say with full authority: this game's plot is B O N K E R S.

Several of the major twists are only very loosely tied together and require significant application of "don't... think too hard about that" to your suspension of disbelief. But bloody hell, that was quite a ride.

Spoiler

Also, thousands of Londoners must have died. Thousands😅

Finally finished Mario Wonder recently having been chipping away at it from time to time. To echo what I said in the Nintendo thread at release, it's an utterly charming game that has given the 2D element of the franchise a real shot in the arm after the stagnation of the NSMB games over the last 15 years or so.

I've managed to snag all the secret exits, wonder coints etc so I'm pretty sure the last thing I've got to do is the final final final level of the Special World. This has so far proved slightly tricky, and whilst it feels a bit cheeky to frown upon what is a bonus section only meant for true aficionados of the game, it has annoyed me slightly. It just feels like trial and error gameplay where you're expected to react to things you couldn't have possibly seen coming so it turns into memorisation where you get so far, die, but then realise what you have to do, so you replay the level and pass that bit you died at, only to die about 4 seconds later and the whole thing repeats itself. 

• Like 3

Rolled credits on Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth. High chance it's my game of the year. Waiting 3-4 years for the finale will be torture, but worth it.

Spoiler

Super Mario Wonder

2. Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy

3. Mario RPG

4. Dave The Diver

6. Balatro x6

7. The Exit 8

8. Luck Be A Landlord

9. Unicorn Overlord

10. Buckshot Roulette

11. Open Roads