World Wrestling Federation '92

ChuBalso

Javert Over The last couple years i think it's been since u started u remain the king u have what i love about a diary on this site which is realisim. My pick for the rumble is Lee.

Keep it up man u r the king ( Or the Memphis Knight :thumbsup: )

Marc

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a question lingering in my mind for a little while now. Just today, I happened to snag it and will now reveal for you to answer. I notcied that you have a few wrestlers who debuted after '92 like Andrew Martin, Buh Buh Ray, Spike, Simon Diamond and so on. I was wondering how did you add them into the scenerio? Did you create them from computer generated wrestlers? Did you tranfer this game to another 'modern' scenerio? Were they already in the '92 scenerio? Do you enjoy all these question that basically only need one answer to shut them all up?

I'm sure the answer is obvious but I've never dealt with the obvious. Thanks in advance.

There has been a question lingering in my mind for a little while now.  Just today, I happened to snag it and will now reveal for you to answer.  I notcied that you have a few wrestlers who debuted after '92 like Andrew Martin, Buh Buh Ray, Spike, Simon Diamond and so on.  I was wondering how did you add them into the scenerio?  Did you create them from computer generated wrestlers?  Did you tranfer this game to another 'modern' scenerio?  Were they already in the '92 scenerio?  Do you enjoy all these question that basically only need one answer to shut them all up?

I'm sure the answer is obvious but I've never dealt with the obvious.  Thanks in advance.

WOooooooooooooooo WrestleMania! It may only be a text version, but its got the same excitement about it like the real one. I wanna see my Kings last Fling? Oh and you once said youd release the Javert Scenario after Mania... still gonna happen? Ive always wondered what itd be like to hard split WWE... one half Inoki influenced... one half McMahon/Russo influenced.

Edited by EZE

user posted image

Jan 18th, 1998

Monday Night Raw-

Channel: USA Network - Prime Time

Venue: Tsugami Sports Complex - Memphis, TN

Attendance: 12,054

Announcing Team: Joey Styles & Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan

In-Ring Announcer: Joe Pedicino

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Dave Hebner, Shane McMahon, Jimmy Korderas, Joey Marella, John Finnegan, Jim Mollineaux

By

Dave Schmeltzer

====================================================

Top 3 RAW Moments - #3

April 4th, 1994 "Gertner Hides From The Immortals - Manhatten Centre (Attn 9,004)

Agent Steve Blackman d. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Hillbilly Jim" Ya'll listen to me, and Ya'll listen good! (Crowd starts throwing debris at Hillbilly) Ya'll better get up on your feet! Everyone in the WWF should watch this next man wrassle! Ladies and gentleman, The Immortals give you, the man that is going to lead our manager, Terry H. Hogan to the WWF Presidency--I give you, straight out of the hands of the secrect service...the master of over 420 Martial Arts! Ladies and germs, Ya'll stand up, and put dose hands t'gether....for AGENT STEVE BLACKMAN!"

Blackman won the match in 20.3 seconds with a quick pump kick to Hacksaw's chest which knocked him out cold. He was, then carried out of a stretcher....

Overall: 53

Crowd: 54

Match: 51

Hacksaw Jim Duggan lost overness from this match. Agent Steve Blackman gained overness from this match.

Jan 25rd, 1998

WWF Worldwide Saturday Nights-

Channel: FOX

Venue: The Castle - Sarasota, Florida

Announcing Team: Sean Mooney & Jerry 'The King' Lawler

Attendance: 12039

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Shane McMahon, Earl Hebner, Charles Robinson, Jim Mollineaux, John Finnegan

By

Dave Schmeltzer

- Waltman vs. Sandman-

Royal Rumble WorldWide opened with Joey Styles, in the ring, pushing Shawn Waltman, citing his King Of The Ring draw with Owen Hart, his strong C1 CLASH showing, and his early year reign as the Intercontinental Champion. He then introduced Waltman, who came out dressed up in a complete Karate get-up straight out of the Karate kid....

Styles" Shawn Waltman...alot of people are talking about the Royal Rumble! Alot of people in there could win! Former world Champion, Mr. Perfect. Al Snow. Brian Christopher. Don Frye. Jun Akiyama. The Undertaker. The list goes on and on. Where does Shawn Waltman fair in this?"

Waltman" Well you know something, Styles - alot of people, as usual, seem to forget about the little ol' 'Highlight Kid' Shawn Waltman. They forget that I went 30 minutes, with the man who is Intercontinental Champion right now! They forget that I shocked the world when I beat Jeff Jarrett for the Intercontinental Belt last year! And, as you can see, Joey, I'm focused. I've been building on my Martial Arts training. And as you know, that's what got me into professional wrestling in the first place. My love for martial arts. And now...I'd like to show some of my training footage."

With that, on the Titan Tron, a video started of Waltman in some dojo, practicing his kicks and strikes. Within 10 seconds the Sandman's music started to play. The crowd booed, as Sandman came out with a beer in hand, and face painted as Sting, as he were for the RAW 5th Anniversery show. Woman shadowed behind him, holding the singapore cane, as he entered the ring, and started laughing at Waltman.

Sandman" HEY YO!!! (Crowd echoes his words, followed by booes as a close up of Sandman's Sting painted face was shown on the Titan Tron) Happy 5th Anniversery!!"

Styles" The 5th Anniversery RAW show was on Monday!! What are you doing out here!"

Sandman " What the hell's your problem!? I'm celebratin'! (Does Sting impersonation) Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooyaaa!!"

Styles" You know what! I do have a problem! And you just reminded me of the reasons why I do!! I have a problem with what you and your partner in crime, Brutus Beefcake are trying to do to the legacy of the Horsemen!! I have a problem with--"

Sandman yanked the microphone out of Joey Styles hand, then yelled Styles out of the ring.

Sandman" Hey, you'd better watch your mouth boy! Now get out of my ring!"

With that, Sandman took the cane and started poking Styles until he left the ring. The crowd was getting behind Styles, as Mooney praised Styles for 'speaking his mind'. Sandman, then, pointed his cane in the direction of Waltman, refocusing his attention on the Highlight Kid.

Sandman" Ya know...I was just in the back, with my main man, Sweet Bruti...(The crowd booes)..and I just realised (Takes a sip of beer)...I'm WATCHING THE KARATE KID 'PART WALTMAN'! (Crowd booes)...Ya...know...Actually...hey..Kid...ya remind me of someone! Look!"

With that, Sandman pointed to the Titan Tron: On it...a split screen graphic of Shawn Waltman's Face, and the actor who played 'The Karate Kid' in 'The Karate Kid'. Sandman started laughing hysterically, as Waltman was positioning himself for a kick. Finally, the Sandman turned around into a flurry of chest kicks, climaxed by Waltman's standing spin kick to the chest, which knocked Sandman over the top rope. They showed a brief shot of Joey Styles applauding Waltman's actions, in the back as they went to a commercial break hyping the first match, at the Castle, The Home of the 1998 Royal Rumble. 73%

-ADVERTS-

Hayabusa d. Tiger Jeet Singh Jr.

Well, looks like they didn't do an undefeated streak push with Tiger Jeet Singh Jr.--that must be reserved for the Crimsons. They really didn't pay attention to the match, and just used this as a backdrop to keep switching to a backstage camera, of Joel Gertner & Miss Elizabeth arriving at the arena. Mooney pushed Gertner as the most popular WWF President of all time, and Elizabeth as the first lady of the WWF. I love the use and acknowledgement of the history of the WWF. Hayabusa won with his stardust flip. They then cut to the backstage area, where Joel Gertner and Elizabeth were walking around.

Overall: 64

Crowd: 63

Match: 65

- A Presidential Warning To Gertner -

Coming out of the break, they showed Gertner & Liz talking with Gerald Brisco and Pat Patterson. Gertner was overheard talking about the days when he was President, when President Ted Dibiase, along with The Giant Silva and The Crimson Twins approached him.

Gertner (To Brisco)" ...and remember how you wrestled in..."

Dibiase (Approaching Gertner) " It's you again! Gertner, I don't know what you and that tramp are doing around here...but let me let you in on a little something; IT DOESN'T PAY TO CROSS...THE MILLION DOLLAR BOSS!! Hahahaha!"

Gertner" Oh really? Well, President 'Theodore High Class' can kiss my Quinticential Ass!"

**A strong 'Gertner' chant was heard, as Ted Dibiase and Gertner squared off face to face**

Dibiase" Don't you ever calle me Theodore again!! I don't know what you two are doing here! But, I run things around here now! I'll see you two tommorow at the Rumble...or actually...I hope I don't see you! Hahahaha!! Mark my words!! Do not cross me. Every man has a price, for the Million Dollar Man! Even former WWF Presidents."

*With that, Mr. Perfect and Barry Horowitz were seen walking into the building. As they were walking, Perfect was overheard saying, 'The Crimson Morons is more like it...' to Horowitz sending them both into laughter. The Crimsons looked at each other as they went to break. 79%

Joel Gertner gained overness from this segment.

86%

-ADVERTS-

- The Crimsons Call Out Perfect and Barry -

Going into the break, Mike Rotunda came down the isle asking for the mic, sparking a small "Irwin" chant. He then introduced "Two of the finest men in the WWF Presidential Council -- The Crimson Twins!" The first 5 minutes here was great, because for the first time ever-- as the Crimson Twins were playing to the crowd, one side of the Castle chanted "Crimson", and the other side, "Sux", making fun of the Crimson's 'dialect'. Mooney tried to tell a joke saying,

"It looks like we have some Crimson relatives in the crowd"

In pure Crimson fashion, seemingly unmoved by the chant, the Crimsons began to do there deal, each holding a microphone.

Tamox & Xamot" We just heard something very disturbing!"

**The crowd booes them instantly for talking at the same time. At this point, Tomax ran climbing to the second turnbuckle, while Xamot ran to the opposite end, and started yelling at the fans.**

Tomax" Would you people..."

Xamot"...please shut the hell up!!"

**At this point, some cult Crimson fans, were actually heard cheering on the Crimsons, getting into their routine**

Tomax & Xamot" AS WE WERE SAYING..."

Xamot" Just moments ago..."

Tomax"...we saw this!!"

**With that, they showed Mr. Perfect's, Crimson Morons comment to Barry Horowitz, leading the crowd into a cheer. At this point, Mr. Perfect came out with Barry Horowitz. They came out to Barry's 'Sting-Like' music, that I only remember him using at SummerSlam during the Sting-Undertaker match. Perfect said that he did indeed say that, and that he would say it to The Crimson's face--So, of course, he then repeated it, sending the crowd into small buzz as the Crimsons prepared to retaliate.

Tomax" Well, it looks like we've been insulted by..."

Xamot"...Mr. and Mrs. 'Hi We haven't won a match..."

Tomax & Xamot"...IN JUST ABOUT 10 YEARS!!"

This sent the crowd into quite a buzz, as that seemed to be a stinging shot to both Perfect & Horowitz. I was expected Mooney to say something along the lines of 'But Perfect was a World Champion last year'. Luckilly he didn't. At this point, referee Shane McMahon ran down the isle, and into the ring, as the Crimsons officially challenged Perfect and Barry.

Tomax" Since we have a referee here..."

Xamot"...lets show everyone why we are the..."

Xamot"...future tag team champions, and why..."

Tomax"...Perfect and Barry are permanent tag team loosers!"

Tomax & Xamot" LETS!!"

With that the four engaged in a slugfest, followed by a bell, starting off the match, with Lawler yelling, "We've got an impromptu match! An impromptu match, Mooney!. 74%

Mr. Perfect lost overness from this segment. Barry Horowitz lost overness from this segment. Tomax gained overness from this segment. Xamot gained overness from this segment.

- The Crimson Complex -

The Crimson Twins d. Mr. Perfect & Barry Horowitz

The match had no tags and was basically just a tornado tag match. The crowd got into a Tomax - Barry exchange with ended with Tomax yanking Barry into a swinging neckbreaker. At 9:33 Perfect gave Xamot a snake eyes on the turnbuckle, resulting in Xamot clutching his face in extreme pain afterwoods. They were selling the idea that he 'landed on that permanent scar' on his face. While this happened, Tomax, on the outside, threw Horowitz hard into the ringside steps. This went over great, since the ringside steps are rarely used. Perfect, when he heard the thud, immediately went to the outside to check on Horowitz. While that was going on, Tomax snuck around the ring and pulled Xamot to the outside of the ring. Tamox then went in the ring and began clutching his face as Xamot were, hoping to fool Perfect. Perfect then walked in the ring, saw Tamox clutching his face down on the mat, and looked back at Barry, on the outside, who was being helped to the back by officials. As soon as Perfect turned around, Tamox got up, and ran up behind Perfect, setting up for his Cranium Kick, sending the crowd into the loudest buzz that I've ever heard when that move is teased. Mooney kept screaming, "He's behind you Perfect! It's Tamox! They pulled a switcheroo!!" as if he could be heard, by Hennig. Anyway, seconds later, Tamox caught Perfect with the Crimson Kick, and hooked the leg to win the match. Perfect sold the kick like he got hit in the back of the head with a bat. On their way to the back, Mooney leaped out of his seat to get a word with The Crimsons;

Mooney" Tamox! Xamot! You two pulled some sort of switcheroo out there!"

Tamox" Switcheroo? No not a Switcheroo!"

Tomax & Xamot" That's The Crimson Complex!"

The Crimson continued on to the back, with Xamot still clutching his face at times.

Overall: 68

Crowd: 74

Match: 56

Mr. Perfect lost overness from this match. Barry Horowitz lost overness from this match. Tomax gained overness from this match. Xamot gained overness from this match.

- Waltman Ordered To Face The Sandman; 'Next' -

From Mooney, they went to The Sandman who was complaining to Mike Rotunda about Waltman's 'attack' on him earlier--as they walk to his lockeroom. Sandman's face was still painted as Sting. Waltman, walked by, and grabbed Rotunda, saying, "Hey, I heard you wanted to see me. What's up? (To Sandman) Wow, we just keep running into each other tonight, huh?"

Rotunda" Yea, actually that's what I wanted to talk to you about! Is it true that you attacked this man!!"

Waltman" Well, yes--but only after--"

Rotunda" Well, try doing that when the Sandman can see you!! That's right, Karate Kid -- get your wrestling gear on! You've got a match with the Sandman! "

At this point, Sandman cracked his singapore cane over the head of Waltman, then continued hitting him, forcing Waltman to stagger all the way through the back and to the break. This started another 'impromptu' match, as Mike Chioda ran to the ring and got the match officially started. They took a commercial break 2 minutes in. 73%

- The Real Sting -

Shawn Waltman d. The Sandman

I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to enjoy some of these WorldWide matches. The story of this match was Waltman's eventual comeback, which turned the tide of the match. For the record, Sandman's face was still painted with the Sting paint, and Waltman's Karate Kid gear was his ring wear. Sandman had alot of really good tough offense here, which went over even better, against Waltman. There seemed to be a fight in the stands, but the majority of fans stayed with the match. Finals came when Sting starting walking to the ring pointing angrilly at the Sandman, with his painted face. Sandman started mouthing off to Sting, then turned around into a lightning kick off of the top rope for the cover.

Overall: 80

Crowd: 78

Match: 83

-ADVERTS-

- Paulie Dangerously's 'belief' in Sabu -

Coming out of the break, they showed a prerecorded segment with Paulie Dangerously and Sabu, hyping the Three Way Dance for the Royal Rumble. Dangerously did a pretty good job here, talking in a 100% serious tone, about the history of the Arabians in professional wrestling. He went on to talk about how Arabian wrestlers made 'Extreme Wrestling', popular, and ensured that Sabu -- will be the one start the wave of Extreme Wrestling, once again.

Dangeroulsy was very convincing here. 88%

Owen Hart DRAW Mike Barton - WWF I-C Title

According to several inside sources, THIS untelevised unannounced match is what the WWF staff had been talking about all night. I'm hearing that they're thinking of going with a Barton - Owen feud, heading into Wrestlemania, and tried out this match to see how it would be recieved, and what they could do. With no heat. No build up. And, with no feud history the results were highly positive. Not only was the crowd hot, and into the near falls, but Barton and Owen worked incredibly well together. The match came to an end when Hart had Barton in the sharpshooter. But, then, all of a sudden Carl Oulette, wearing the WWF I-C Belt, hit the ring, carrying a ladder to the ring. Owen darted out of the ring, as soon as he saw Oulette hit the ring, selling the idea that he wanted to avoid injury before the Pay Per View. During this time, the TV audience was treated with an 8 minute complete Royal Rumble Preview. Once WorldWide was back on the air, Oulette was almost all the way up the ramp, when Brutus Beefcake, & The Sandman, along with Percy Pringle III, & Woman....except...not exactly.

Overall: 84

Crowd: 86

Match: 81

- The "Four Horsemen" -

When WorldWide came back on the they showed Oulette on his way to the back, saying that "He was out here flaunting his stolen belt". At this point, they played the not recently heard, Blue Blazer music, which got a nice pop. But instead, out came a short fat stubby man dressed up in the Blue Blazer outfit. It was Percy Pringle III. Oulette started laughing, as Pringle yelled into a mic,

"I wanttttt myyyyy belllltttttt!!!! Waaaa!! Waaa!! My Belt!!! Waaa!!!" Pringle looked god awful in that Blazer suit.

After hearing Pringle cry, Sting's music played, but of course, out came the Sandman--continuing his attack on Sting. Sandman came out, and only annoyingly screamed like Sting over and over again. Finally, Ric Flair's music played, and Beefcake came out, dressed up in a less than flattering robe, symbolising Ric Flair's robe. The crowd hated this. Beefcake ended the segment, thankfully, not doing a Flair impersonation.

Beefcake" YA KNOW SOMETHING BRUTHA....(crowd booes)..Sweet Bruti's got all the answers dude! And tommorow night, (To Oulette) you gotta help us in our task brutha! Ya see, even though we're not really teamates or anything, dude...we're both going to be trying to do the same thing tommorow night dude! No..we're not going to TRY!! We're going to make this the worst night in the history of the Four Horsemen! First, Oulette--I don't know about any of these morons out here (Crowd booes), but there's no doubt in Sweet Bruti's mind that you are the best Canadian Wrestler in the WWF today!! And tommorow night, you have a chance to throw that right in the Horsmen's face..when you face, 'The Canadian Horsemen, Owen Hart!' (The Crowd booes as Oulette smiles, shakes hands, and returns to the back before posing with the IC belt)

And...finally...you and me...Sandman....tommorow night...WE...become the newest members of the Horsemen!! Tommorow night, Steve Corino and Sting will be looking UP at us!! Because, tommorow night, compadre--you and I become, the elite! Now, hit my music! I've got some drinkin' to do--right, Bruti?"

WWF Worldwide went of the air with Beefcake and Sandman posing with their hands up, as Pringle III, and Woman smirk on from opposite ends of Beefcake and Sandman. 78%

Show Quality: 71%

TV Rating: 7.32

Commentary Aftermatch

Mooney" Could we be looking at the two newest members of the Four Horsemen!?"

Lawler" Corino and Sting are out! Sweet Bruti and The Beer Drinkin' Rebel is in!!"

Mooney" It's the Royal Rumble!! Tommorow night! All 3 WWF Titles on the line! That War Games Cage Match! And of course...The 1998 ROYAL RUMBLE!"

Lawler" I can't wait!"

THE RUMBLE

IS

NEXT.

Jan 29rd, 1998

The Royal Rumble-

Channel: Pay Per View

Venue: The Castle - Detriot MI

Attendance: 12,054

Announcing Team: Vince McMahon & Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Dave Hebner, Shane McMahon, Jimmy Korderas, Joey Marella, John Finnegan, Jim Mollineaux

By

Dave Schmeltzer

The 1998 Royal Rumble did a 1.97 buy rate, with 20,490 paid, with a total gate of $1,229,400. WCW did get a similiar buy rate, with Michaels-Mutoh on top--but they sold only 20,085 seats out of the 22,000 seat Orion Centre. GCG's first Pay Per View with Bret Hart, did an impressive 1.61 buy rate--but only time will tell if they can get these numbers consistently in the future.

- The Genius Chases 'The American Dream' -

The Royal Rumble opened up with Sean Moooney & Louie Dangerously doing the pre-game bit. Louie actually got somewhat of a pop, which is somewhat of a suprise since his last--and only--TV appearance was at the Arsenal Pay Per View last year, in England. I'm sure the crowd just popped for the fact that he was impersonating Heyman. They talked at length about the Pay Per View, until Sean Mooney brought out, 'The American Dream Dustine Rhoads. The two bickered for quite a while, leading to Genius 'kicking Dustine out of the building'. He told her to "Go back to the 'World's Crappiest Wrestling' farm", which was definately a knock at WCW and Dusty Rhodes It's so funny to see, Genius--a WWF jobber years ago--now in an important 'position' in the WWF. They then did the official countdown, right before introducting the announcers, Vince McMahon & Bobby Heenan. The crowd liked the stuff between Rhoads and Genius--but one thing is clear; Rhoads is one fat lady. 76%

The Genius gained overness from this segment. Dustine Roads gained overness from this segment.

1. Don Frye d. Kama Mustafa in 11:13 of a No Rules Match

Referee: Bill Silvermann

The Royal Rumble opener proved to be one of the best openers in a while. The crowd was really behind Frye here--more often then before, which is good for Frye's apparent push. Frye did a great job here in hiding Kama's basic lack of ability by his, constant reversals and submission variations. McMahon must've pointed out the crowd's strong support for Frye at least about 5 times during the match. Finals of the opener came at 8:33 when Kama got on top of Frye and starting nailing him with pummell punches. Right after Kama got up, Frye popped right up behind him, selling the idea that he was blocking Kama's shots--Mustafa walked into a belly to belly then into an single leg ankle lock, submitting the match to Frye leading to the loudest pop for Frye, to date. McMahon started to push hard the posibility of Frye going on to make his mark, and win the Royal Rumble. With the way that Frye was being cheered, the possibility wasn't that slim.

Overall: 73

Crowd: 75

Match: 70

Don Frye gained overness from this match.

Commentary Aftermath

McMahon" Wow!! Listen to this capacity crowd, Brain!! Listen to the support of Don Frye!! Former professsional Shootfighter! Wow!"

Heenan" McMahon! I never thought about this, but Frye could very well win that Rumble!!"

McMahon" I think that, now, Simon Diamond sees that Don Frye DOES belong in the WWF!"

Heenan" The WWF Titles are on the line! Next!"

2. The Crimson Twins won a 3 way elimination match against The Space Croppers & The Ebony Experience, to win the WWF Tag Team Titles in 17:59

Referee: Joey Marella

This was an excellent match, which relied heavily on good ring pyscology--footprints of Inoki booking here. Xamot started off the match with Storm which was pretty good. Storm got alot of offense here, moreso then I've seen in his previous matches--probably since Xamot's offense is horrible. Xamot tagged out to Stevie Ray at 5:33, who then 'called in' Rhyno, leading to a few minutes of basic Ray offense. During this part, and a few more minutes in--the crowd starting doing the wave, which distracted many from the match for a bit. Tomax was tagged into the match a few times and relied heavily on alot of amateur type move--I guess to showcase his talents--I guess, since they would be winning the gold. The first elimination came at 11:22, when Booker T was pinned by Rhyno after a Starr Spear out of no where. That 'Crimson Sux' chant started during the 2 on 2 encounter, which at many times spilled to the outside isle ramp. At 14:31, Rhyno went for his Starr Spear on Xamot, but Xamot moved, causing Rhyno to go flying through the ropes and hard into the outer rail, taking him out of the match. Heenan and McMahon pushed this hard as this being 'a turning point' of the match, giving the advantage to the Crimsons. The next 2 minutes consisted of Devon trying his best to battle the tag team work of both Crimsons. Crowd woke up and popped hard when Storm caught Xamot, with his shining wizard. Devon, who was on a roll, then went after Tomax charging him--but Tomax ducked the clothesline, giving Devon a spinning back drop for a near fall. Tomax, then went outside the ring and started working on the fallen Rhyno, as Xamot slowly recovered in the ring--refocusing his attention on Storm. The two scuffled in the ring for some time, until eventually Storm threw Xamot into the ropes--but Xamot reversed, catching Storm back off the ropes in a position for a spinebuster. But seconds later, Tomax came off the ropes with a leaping clothesline, doing the old Hart Foundation tag finisher--The Hart Attack. Xamot quickly covered Rhyno, hooking the leg pulling out the victory, to win the WWF Tag Team Titles. The match went kind of long, which took alot out of the crowd, but they popped hard for the Hart Attack move and the eventual three count.

Match: 73

The WWF Tag Team titles have gained in image.

Commentary Aftermath

Heenan" McMahon!! That is the new move that my top secret sources told me to look out for! That's the Crimson Attack!!"

McMahon" Well, the Crimson Twins are the new WWF Tag Team Champions, Brain! Their undefeated record here in the WWF, continues!--"

Heenan" I don't think they can be defeated! They are the most effective tag team in WWF history!"

3. Owen Hart d. Carl Oulette in 13:22 of a Ladder Match to retain the WWF Intercontinental Title

Referee: Jim Mollineux

The crowd was really hot for this match, as this feud's been one of the WWF's best in a while. They cut to alot of signs in the crowd that read "Le Theif", which is actually pretty funny, since there was talk early on in Oulette's career as bringing him in as a pirate. Oulette may not be strong on the mic, but his interaction with the fans during matches is classic. As the match went on, Oulette must've stop to scream at ringside fans, in french, about 10 times. This was part of the reasoning behind Oulette loosing offense many times during the match. At 9:33, Lance Storm ran down the isle, and just started attacking Owen right there in the ring, during the match. Owen fought back, leading to a small Owen-Lance Storm exchange, that the crowd actually was very much into. Oulette joined in, eventually stomping Owen down into the corner. Oulette then instructed Lance to go outside and bring in a table from the outside. Here, McMahon teased that Oulette could be planning to use that table to plancha on Owen from the top rope. However, after Owen was placed on the table, the crowd was stunned to see Oulette climb the ladder instead of the turnbuckle. Whence on the top of the ladder, Oulette yelled, "Viva Carl Oulette!!", before leaping off of the ladder to plancha Owen on the table--but Owen moved, causing Oulette to land hard on the table, denting it's centre a bit, to a loud "Oh My God" chant. Lance was on the outside, and couldn't believe Oulette went throught the table. At this point, at 12:22, Owen set up and climbed the ladder getting and retaining the WWF Intercontinental Title, continuing the Horsemen success in WWF Ladder matches. They had WWF Medics come out, to help Oulette out, with Storm, as the crowd chanted "Owen" throughout the arena.

Overall: 88

Crowd: 93

Match: 79

Commentary Aftermath

McMahon" Wow!! What a match! The Horsemen Ladder Match Success route continues...as Owen Hart defeated Carl Oulette! "

Heenan" Well, the Canadian Horsemen may have won the match, but Oulette had to go crashing into a table off of the top of a ladder to make that happen!"

McMahon" What a scene, here at the 1998 Royal Rumble! The Horsemen could make it 2 in a row, tonight!"

*Sabu's music begins to play*

Heenan" Uh Oh!! You know what that means! It's the WWF 3 way match between Ric Flair, Sabu, and Tenzan! And the Triple Crown Title is on the line!!"

4. Hiroyoshi Tenzan defeated Ric Flair & Sabu in a 3 way elimination match, to retain the WWF Triple Crown Championship in 27:33

Referee: Bill Alfonso

As soon as the Bill Alfonso came down down the ramp, the Castle erupted with booes--now that it was clear that Alfonso was to be the ref for the Triple Crown Title match. Tenzan got quite the heel reaction coming out, holding two belts on his shoulder, and one around his waist. Flair was sporting a new Nature Boy '98 robe, which led to McMahon praise the robe as if it were a wrestlers, screaming;

"What a beautiful Robe!! Nature Boy' 98!! Look at that, Brain! How much do you think that robe is worth!? How much could it be?! Millions I bet!"

Alfonso ordered both James Cornette & Paulie Dangeroulsy away from the ring, right away--he did it to Cornette, first which got him some cheers--but followed suit with Dangerously, getting back his heel heat. This 3 way match, unlike most, was actually just that -- a 3 way match. Instead of one guy being on the outside of the ring, allowing the other two to go at it--all three men were constantly in the ring, saving each other from danger when needed--and double teaming on someone, when strategically acceptable. The WWF crowd really got into a straight 5 minute period, where Sabu & Flair really took it to Tenzan, double teaming him, leading to a number of near falls, teasing Tenzan's elimination. Tenzan began his comeback at 12:51, when Flair and Sabu had him in the corner, and nailed him with some loud chops to the chest. The crowd was really on with their "Woooooo's" after each chop. Suddenly, Tenzan started shake off the chops, and stood tough as Flair and Sabu continued nail him with the chops. Finally, after a few more chops, Tenzan charged Flair and Sabu with a double lariat, sending them both crashing down. Tenzan taunted the crowd in Japanese, as they quickly got incredibly hostile. Both Sabu and Flair got up, and took turns charging Tenzan, but both fell into his somoan drop, getting huge a huge reactiion from the crowd. McMahon pushed those somoan drops hard calling them "career threatening", which I find that hard to believe. Maybe it would do a bit of damage to the back...but career ending? It's times like this that I wonder why Vince even announces, despite having Styles on board. The two somoan drops led to Tenzan falling to his knees, selling the idea that the two drops took alot of energy out of him--leading to all three men being laid out. Flair, the first to recover, slowly crawled over to Sabu and locked on the figure four, eliminating Sabu, at 17:33, which suprised many. I think the general feeling within the company is that, even though Sabu has been elevated to Uppercard status, he's still not ready to hold the WWF Triple Crown--which I understand. Right after Sabu submitted, Flair who still kept the hold on, was suprised by a Tenzan headbutt off the top rope. Tenzan quickly followed up with a pin on Flair, getting the nearest fall of the night, with Flair kicking out right before the three count. At, 23:33, Tenzan was in full control, until he went to kick Flair--but Flair countered with a dragonscrew into a his patented Figured Four. The crowd went bonkers as Tenzan was screaming in pain, as Flair used his last bit of energy to put as much pressure on the hold as possible. Here's how it went down, from the view of McMahon and Heenan.

Finall Call, by Vince McMahon & Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan

McMahon"....And now....Ric Flair....He's got the hold...on Tenzan...the Figure Four...it could be over..."

Heenan"Tenzan's not giving up McMahon! This man does not give up!! He's a machine!! He's a monster! He's the greatest wrestler in the WORLD today!! He's--"

McMahon"...and look at Flair...pulling back...trying to put...as much pressure on that foot as he can...wait...and..."

Heenan"...Alfonso's making a count..."

McMahon"1...2...3! Tenzan JUST passed out! Flair is the new WWF Triple Crown Champion! Ric Flair is a 6 time WWF Champion!! I don't believe it!! I don't believe it!!"

**Ric Flair gets up, and demands the Triple Crown Belts. Flair takes the belts and starts posing with them running back and forth into the ropes and strutting. He trips--selling his fatigue. However, at this point Bill Alfonso grabs the belts out of Flair's hands to a shower of booes.**

Heenan" Flair is not the champion!!!"

McMahon" WAIT JUST A MINUTE! What just happened!!! Wait a second!! Lets get the official word!!"

RING ANNOUNCER JOE PEDICINO (After conversing with Bill Alfonso) " Ladies and Gentleman! Here is your winner.....AND STIIILLLLLLLLLLLL The WWF Triple Crown Champion! Hiroyoshi Tenzan!!!"

Overall: 85

Crowd: 90

Match: 74

Commentary Aftermath

McMahon" What!! I don't believe it! Why!? Why!? Tenzan passed out! Tenzan wasn't able to take anymore! Ric Flair was pulling back as far as he could to the most pressure on Tenzan! Why is Tenzan still the champion!"

Heenan" Because he's the best wrestler in the world, today, McMahon!"

McMahon (Noticing that Joey Styles is on his way to the ring) " Well...not so fast Heenan. The official voice of the WWF--Joey Styles is on his way to the ring! He'll get to the bottom of this!"

- Flair's Shoulder Was Down -

The crowd was heavily booing Alfonso, and even throwing some debris into the ring, as Tenzan left to the back with his titles in hand. Styles made his way to the ring, and had a look of disgust, directed at Alfonso, as Flair threw a tantrum in the corner.

Styles" Now, hold on a second, referee Bill Alfonso!! I think that what I saw...and what all of these fans here in Detriot saw--is something different from what YOU saw!! (Crowd cheers) Now, I may wear glasses--but you counted Tenzan down--then awarded the match right to him!! Now, I think I speak for everyone when I say that you're dubious officiating has gone too far!! TOO DAMN FAR!"

Alfonso (Screaming and shouting, as always) " Joey Styles...you listen to me! I call it right down the middle all the time!! And right here, right now--I called it right down the middle!! Ric Flair's shoulders were down to the mat when he had the figure four locked on!! So I was counting him--NOT TENZAN!!! Even though Tenzan passed out...he did so AFTER I counted the three on the Nature Boy!!! I don't care if Flair's a Horsemen! I don't care about this tradition crap! Because it means nothing, when I gotta call it right down the middle!! So, Styles, you can just BITE ME!!!"

**With that, Alfonso slapped Styles right across the face, causing Flair to jump to Styles' defense. While Flair was talking, the other members of the Four Horsemen came to the ring.**

Flair" Alfonso!!!! You dare slap Joey Styles!! You see, this is a man who I respect!! Unlike you, he's one of the true great representatives of his profession!! You should learn something from him! You should learn about honour! About tradition!! About what this sport is about! And you, woo! My friend deserve a lesson! A lesson in--- "

Alfonso" Shutup Flair!! You're just upset that you're not the champ anymore...that you're not 'THE MAN' in the WWF anymore! There's someone better than you in the WWF! Hell, I think--"

At this point, Flair grabbed Alfonso by the collar, and waited for the crowd's approval, before clocking him in the face to a huge pop. Sting cashed into the action, throwing Alfonso into the turnbuckle and nailing him with the Stinger Splash. Corino followed by landing the Dusty Rhodes elbow on the fallen Alfonso, while Owen closed it up with a brief sharpshooter. Ric Flair's music then played, as Mike Rotunda, and the unamed Tony Garea and Vince Russo ran down to the ring to help up Alfonso, as the Horsemen returned to the back. 86%

Commentary Aftermath

McMahon" Wow!! Well, Fonzo sure did learn his lesson! Never mess with a Horse---"

Heenan" A lesson? A lesson for what!? You know, I used to always be the big supporter of Ric Flair...but this is too much! What did Alfonso do, besides call it right down the middle! Flair lost! His shoulders were down! End of story!"

McMahon" Well, what about Alfonso, slapping Joey Styles! What was that for?"

Heenan" I've always wanted to see Styles get slapped. "

5. Shawn Waltman won the 1998 Royal Rumble after eliminating Prime Time Brian Lee at 79:33

This was definately one of the better Royal Rumble's in a while. Sure, the crowd, at times were rather dead after the counts, but they were getting into many of the different exchanges going on in the Rumble during the Rumble. There were a couple of suprises, here--but nothing ground breaking. Ted Dibiase's music hit, as he came out as the 6th entrant in the Rumble. Dibiase ended up being among those left in the latter moments of the match, which really says alot of his conditioning. The Genius also emerged as suprise entry #22, to aid the WWF President. It was really funny hearing Mr. Perfect's old music hit--and the crowd popping huge--only to see that it was Lanny Poffo. Don Frye had a great showing here, which proved the inner feeling within the company that Frye is definately going to be factored into the future of the WWF. Frye got one of the biggest pops of the Rumble match when he belly to bellied Lance Storm over the top rope, then followed suit with D'lo Brown just about a minute later. McMahon pushed Frye hard as being an athlete who was "always taught never to quit" pushing his advantage in the Rumble. Heenan kept going nuts, talking about how Frye was 'still' in the Rumble during the 30, 45, and 60 minute time intervals--the crowd took notice of this, too, showed by the small 'Frye' chants during many of his strong spots during the match. There were a few other stories of the match:

Carl Oulette - Ric Flair

Oulette, who entered during the 12th minute mark,

Wrestling/Time Out/Elim By

1. Don Frye/ 60:50/ Ric Flair

2. Ric Flair/ 65:33/ Ted Dibiase

3. Kamala/ 16:44/Ric Flair

4. Flexx Kavanna/ 47:33/Ric Flair

5. Mr. Everything Andrew Martin / 32:22/Don Frye

6. Ted Dibiase/ 66:45/Shawn Waltman

7. Kama Mustafa/ 22:33/Big Dick Dudley

8. Carl Oulette/ 56:11/ Ric Flair

9. Tomax/ 29:33/Don Frye

10. Prime Time Brian Lee/ 79:03/Shawn Waltman

11. Big Dick Dudley / 43:22/ Jun Akiyama

12. Jun Akiyama / 60:33/ Ric Flair

13. Barry Horowitz /45:22/ Carl Oulette

14. Johnny Ace /35:33/ Brian Lee

15. Raymond Rougeau /39:33/ Brian Lee

16. Al Snow / 62:44/ Brian Christopher

17. Wolfie D/ 38:33/ Big Dick Dudley

18. D'lo Brown/ 46:33/Don Frye

19. Lance Storm/ 45:33/ Don Frye

20. Brian Christopher/ 75:33/ Shawn Waltman

21. Hayabusa /50:33/ Shawn Waltman

22. The Genius/ 66:40/ Brian Lee

23. The Renegade Warrior/ 58:31/Ted Dibiase

24. Chris Jericho/ 58:33/ Brian Lee

25. Shawn Waltman [WINNER]

26. Simon Diamond 63:07/ Brian Lee

27. Mr. Perfect 70:33/ Brian Lee

28. Mike Barton 75:33/ Shawn Waltman

29. Xamot /67:11/Brian Lee

30. The Big Bossman /65:33 Brian Christopher

Overall: 72

Crowd: 73

Maatch: 70

editing?*

I'm in the process of bringing over the proper update from the old board. Apparently I never saved the completed version of this.

How...annoying.

edit* Ok, so I just realised what happend. Apparently THIS is when my computer crashed (the first time) I began writing ou tthe RR (above) then I lost it all. And all long term readers know that I'm honest about when shit like that happens, and simply CANNOT do a show 'twice'. So as soon as Marsh gets something fixed for me, I'll be reposting Royal Rumble, along with the recap, and YEAR END AWARDS, with a nice hearty title history recap and more....And wow...

We are virtually to Wreslemania. I CANNOT WAIT to write this show. Xfactor will begin with Wrestlmania, following a recap for new readers.

Edited by Treyu

Here is my quick Royal Rumble recap, to move forward (since, as I mentioned before, I had wrote part of it already, and don't like doing the same thing over again).

So here is a quick recap from our lazy intern, on the Royal Rumble. The next update will be, the first RAW of February, live from Madison Square Garden.

This will be followed by

1) a title history

2) RAW Preview

I will not be listing the relationships yet. Maybe later, though, they will become apparent in the writing of the diary.

enjoy

Background

(The last Event)

Royal Rumble, Jan 31st, 1998 - The Castle Detriot Michigan

Hosts: Vince McMahon & Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan

Results:

First, The Genius, of the Presidential Council did a dumb skit with The American Dream...female fat wrestler, Dustine Rhodes.

1. Don Frye d. Kama Mustafa in 11:13 of a No Rules Match

Referee: Bill Silvermann

Simon Diamond accompanied Mustafa to the ring. Frye won with a chokehold. Crowd was hot.

Overall: 73

Don Frye gained overness from this match.

2. The Crimson Twins w/ President Ted Dibiase won a 3 way elimination match against The Space Croppers & The Ebony Experience, to win the WWF Tag Team Titles in 17:59

Referee: Joey Marella

In what was expected the Crimson Twins finally won the tag titles after the Hart Attack manuever--called the Crimson Attack. Dibiase was more than happy.

Match: 73

The WWF Tag Team titles have gained in image.

3. Owen Hart d. Carl Oulette in 13:22 of a Ladder Match to retain the WWF Intercontinental Title

Referee: Jim Mollineux

The best of the two ladder matches between them. Owen finally took his belt away from Le Theif, Carl Oulette. The rest of the Horsemen joined the Canadian Horseman to celebrate.

Overall: 88

Crowd: 93

Match: 79

4. Hiroyoshi Tenzan defeated Ric Flair & Sabu in a 3 way elimination match, to retain the WWF Triple Crown Championship in 27:33

Tenzan carried the other two to a great match. Sabu was good, but Tenzan had perfect timing with all of his spots. Flair was the last to go after 4 consecutive moonsaults by Tenzan.

5. Shawn Waltman won the 1998 Royal Rumble after eliminating Prime Time Brian Lee at 79:33

...This was definately one of the better Royal Rumble's in a while. Sure, the crowd, at times were rather dead after the counts, but they were getting into many of the different exchanges going on in the Rumble during the Rumble. There were a couple of suprises, here--but nothing ground breaking. Ted Dibiase's music hit, as he came out as the 6th entrant in the Rumble. Dibiase ended up being among those left in the latter moments of the match, which really says alot of his conditioning. The Genius also emerged as suprise entry #22, to aid the WWF President. It was really funny hearing Mr. Perfect's old music hit--and the crowd popping huge--only to see that it was Lanny Poffo. Don Frye had a great showing here, which proved the inner feeling within the company that Frye is definately going to be factored into the future of the WWF. Frye got one of the biggest pops of the Rumble match when he belly to bellied Lance Storm over the top rope, then followed suit with D'lo Brown just about a minute later. McMahon pushed Frye hard as being an athlete who was "always taught never to quit" pushing his advantage in the Rumble. Heenan kept going nuts, talking about how Frye was 'still' in the Rumble during the 30, 45, and 60 minute time intervals--the crowd took notice of this, too, showed by the small 'Frye' chants during many of his strong spots during the match....

Waltman eliminated Lee at 79 minutes. By this time, Lee's persistance had turn him into somewhat of a face for the match. Probably, by fact that he didn't come out in his Undertaker gear...and instead, biker gear. They still called him, Lee The Undertaker, many times during the match though. The crowd did go bonkers for Waltman though.

McMahon did a good job of pointing out Waltman's successful WWF plight over the last year. From winning the Light Heavyweight Title, to the I-C title, to drawing Owen Hart at the C1 Clash, to this. His Royal Rumble victory.

Wrestling/Time Out/Elim By

1. Don Frye/ 60:50/ Ric Flair

2. Ric Flair/ 65:33/ Ted Dibiase

3. Kamala/ 16:44/Ric Flair

4. Flexx Kavanna/ 47:33/Ric Flair

5. Mr. Everything Andrew Martin / 32:22/Don Frye

6. Ted Dibiase/ 66:45/Shawn Waltman

7. Kama Mustafa/ 22:33/Big Dick Dudley

8. Carl Oulette/ 56:11/ Ric Flair

9. Tomax/ 29:33/Don Frye

10. Prime Time Brian Lee/ 79:03/Shawn Waltman

11. Big Dick Dudley / 43:22/ Jun Akiyama

12. Jun Akiyama / 60:33/ Ric Flair

13. Barry Horowitz /45:22/ Carl Oulette

14. Johnny Ace /35:33/ Brian Lee

15. Raymond Rougeau /39:33/ Brian Lee

16. Al Snow / 62:44/ Brian Christopher

17. Wolfie D/ 38:33/ Big Dick Dudley

18. D'lo Brown/ 46:33/Don Frye

19. Lance Storm/ 45:33/ Don Frye

20. Brian Christopher/ 75:33/ Shawn Waltman

21. Hayabusa /50:33/ Shawn Waltman

22. The Genius/ 66:40/ Brian Lee

23. The Renegade Warrior/ 58:31/Ted Dibiase

24. Chris Jericho/ 58:33/ Brian Lee

25. Shawn Waltman [WINNER]

26. Simon Diamond 63:07/ Brian Lee

27. Mr. Perfect 70:33/ Brian Lee

28. Mike Barton 75:33/ Shawn Waltman

29. Xamot /67:11/Brian Lee

30. The Big Bossman /65:33 Brian Christopher

Overall: 72

Crowd: 73

Midway during the Rumble, they did an angle where Xamot and Tomax, The Crimson Twins -- new WWF Tag Team Champions started harrassing Miss Elizabeth, the first lady of the WWF. She was sitting at ringside. The Crimson Twins now have their own microphones. 84%

6. Brutus Beefcake & The Sandman defeated Sting & Steve Corino in 17:44 of a War Games Tag Match

FOR ENTRY INTO THE FOUR HORSEMEN

Beefcake's team won when Carl Oulette, upset over his loss to the Canadian Horseman Owen Hart, closed the cage on Corino's head as he was trying to escape. Oh, that's right. WWF cages have doors. How they plan to work out this stipulation, and further this angle, is beyond me. But Joey Styles was more than vocal on how disrespectful this was to the tradition of the Horsemen name.

Match: 80

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

<BR><P>

PO Box 1228, CA - February 2nd, 1998

<BR><P>

*********************************************************************************************

Waltman wins The Rumble. Horsemen Loose Stipulation Match</center>

The 1998 Royal Rumble, like most of the recent WWF events, lived up to it's hype -- kicking off 1998 with one of the most entertaining Pay Per Views, to date. The Rumble, from the Castle in Detriot, MI - did a total gate of $1,229,400, with 20,490 paid -- and a 1.97 buy rate. Bret Hart's first GCG PPV, for Jimmy Crockett, got him a 1.61 buy rate, establishing GCG as, now, a viable competitor to the WWF, and WCW...who seems to claim the #1 title, due to their name value, with Hogan and The Berzerker.

Shawn Waltman eliminated Lee The Undertaker near the 79th minute of the Royal Rumble, earning him a WWF Title shot at Wrestlemania -- completing what looked to be a carefully devised push that, essentially, started in Janurary of last year. First, Waltman won the GWF Lightheavyweight Championship. After pairing him up with, then top face, Bret Hart -- Waltman went on to make a strong showing in the King Of The Ring, and an even better showing, at September's C1 Clash Tournament, going to a time limit draw with Owen Hart. Now, as the Royal Rumble winner, 'The Highlight Kid' Shawn Waltman looks to be heading into a Wrestlemania '98 main event with Hiroyoshi Tenzan, which, on paper, looks to be a classic.

In other news from the Rumble, Sting & Steve Corino lost a Tag Team War Games match to Brutus Beefcake and The Sandman, with their Horsemen spots on the line. This result comes as a huge suprise, since, Brutus Beefcake, Sandman, Ric Flair, and Owen Hart (Flair and Owen) the other two members of the Horsemen) does NOT sound like a viable stable. It just wouldn't make sense for Flair to part ways with his protege (Steve Corino) and long time partner, Sting. It's all up in the air. But the person who really benefited from this is Carl Oulette. Oulette came into the Rumble with alot of momentum, after his great Shangril-a 3 way match with Owen Hart & Shaggy 2Dope, followed by the angle continuation of him stealing the I-C title from Owen, with sidekick, Lance Storm. After loosing that ladder match, earlier in the Rumble, Oulette showed up at this match, slamming the door on Steve Corino, getting his "anger out" on the Horsemen, after loosing to the Canadian Horseman Owen Hart. Oulette started screaming in French to the fans for quite some time, and walked out with Sandman and Beefcake, to the biggest heel reactions in quite some time. Where this whole angle between Sandman/Beefcake, Oulette/whoever, will go, will be very, very intersting.

Finally, the WWF Presidentship. So far, the Presidential council--an idea coined by Vince Russo--has been a nice addition to the WWF. Even though the stable includes, new Tag Team Champions, The Crimson Twins, Xamot & Tomax, the organisation comes accross as an authority group, with President Ted Dibiase, rather than 'just another regime', like PRIDE, or The Horsemen. This, most likely due to the plethora of older wrestlers as members of the Presidential Staff, such as Lanny Poffo,  Bob Orton, Jimmy Del Ray, and Jim Duggan.

<CENTER>

Observer Year End Awards</center>

What was 1997 the year of? Well, here were the main stories of the year...

The Berzerker arrives in WCW

The Berzerker (John Nord) turned his life around, and returned to Wrestling, this time, in WCW to do another program with Hulk Hogan -- achieving just as much, if not more success than their WWF feud. This, instantly gave WCW the star power, that they lacked during the older years. It also brought the ratings war between Nitro and RAW immeasurably close for the rest of the year, up to the present, establishing the heavily Dusty-Influenced promotion as the most 'popular' promotion in the World.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan Unifies WWF and GWF Titles against Hart

At SS'97, Hiroyoshi Tenzan (GWF Heavyweight), Bret Hart (WWF World), and Steve Corino (C1 Clash Winner) fought to unify the titles, establishing the WWF Triple Crown Championship in one of the most controversial match endings in WWF history. Not since the, Moolah-Spider Lady incident of 1985 has there been this much uncertainty as to if the ending was fully planned or not. Some feel that Bret was screwed by the WWF staff -- as he was having problems with them ever since Corino was given the belt, and The Dark Carnival was brought in. The image of WWF Agent, Antonio Inoki almost 'protecting' referee Bill Alfonso from Bret Hart, and staring Bret out of the ring, at Survivor Series, is an image that was probably on EVERY newstand wrestling publication for the month of December. Bret, soon went packing, and showed up at Jim Crockett's Golden Canvis Grappling Promotion. Many believe that it's Bret, that can bring GCG past the level of WWF and WCW. The only problem is that out of GCG's 3 shows, 2 are on after 1:00am.

ECA & 21CW Promotions

When Marty Jannetty was released from the WWF in 1996, and resumed the "Professor Marty Jannetty" gimmick in ECA, most felt that he was doomed. When Jeff Jarrett and Pretty Paul Roma were released from the WWF (Jarrett '97, Roma '96), many felt that they were headed toward of world of obsurity. But, both men were able to take their WWF success, just like Jannetty, and made 21st Century Wrestling a viable competitor to ECA -- both of which are now nationally known. While ECA has the Combat Zone, which is shown on TNT, Monday Night's/Early Tuesday's at 1:30am, most networks are afraid to give 21CW a show. There's something about a Dark Patriot vs. Terry Funk barbed wire ring of fire match, that didn't ring well with most networks.

The Awards

(Wrestler) (Votes) (Group Affiliation)

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Wrestler of the Year

1. Steve Corino (1,496) WWF

2. Stunning Steve Austin (1,205) WCW

3. Shawn Waltman (834) (WWF)

Most Outstanding Wrestler

1. Shawn Waltman (2,123) WWF

2. Owen Hart (982) WWF

3. Shawn Michaels WCW (873)

Best Box Office Draw

1. Hulk Hogan WCW (2,592)

2. The Berzerker WCW (1,362)

3. Steve Corino (438)

Feud of the Year

1. The Dark Carnival vs. The WWF (961)

2. Steve Corino vs. Bret Hart WWF (790)

3. Brian Pillman & Stunning Steve Austin vs. Dustin Rhodes and Shane Douglas (507)

Tag Team of the Year

1. The Crimson Twins WWF (1,246)

2. The Hardy Brothers (USWA) (1,244)

3. Misterio & Black Tiger (ECA) (1,238)

Most Improved

1. Shawn Waltman WWF (1,640)

2. Carl Oulette WWF (1,010)

3. Professor Marty Janetty (ECA) (527)

Best on Interviews

1. Ric Flair WWF (1,388)

2. Commissioner Harley Race (WCW) (1.235)

3. The Crimson Twins WWF (640)

Most Charismatic

1. Ric Flair WWF (1,596)

2. Brian Pillman WCW (1,023)

3. Jacques 'The Mountie' Rougeau GCG (584)

Best Technical Wrestler

1. Bret Hart GCG (1,808)

2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan WWF (1,243)

3.  Christian Cage (VZF-Canada) (731)

Best Brawler (Bruiser Brody Memorial Award)

1. Abdullah The Butcher WCW (1,840)

2. Masato Tanaka (JAP) (467)

3. Tommy Dreamer ECA (416)

Best Flying Wrestler

1. Shawn Waltman/Lightning Kid WWF (1,660)

2. Jushin Thunder Liger WCW (1,186)

3. Rob Van Dam/Haybabusa (ECA/WWF - tied) (934)

Most Overrated

1. Pretty Paul Roma 21CW (1,678)

2. The Dark Patriot/Doug Gilbert (875) (the man only had one of the best years of his career last year, still overrated?)

3. Jacques 'The Mountie' Rougeau GCG (778)

Most Underrated

1. Rob Van Dam (ECA) (747)

2. Bob Hollly (VZF-Canada) (492)

3. Simon Diamond (WWF) (329)

Promotion of the Year

1. WWF (1,079)

2. WCW (876)

3. 21CW (772) (Easily the most edgy promotion in North America)

Best Weekly TV Show

1. WWF Monday Night RAW (2,157)

2. Golden Canvas Greats (1,152)

3. VZF Canadian Carnage (870)

Best Match of the Year

1. Mr. Perfect vs. Steve Corino (WWF Summerslam) (1,049)

2. Shawn Michaels vs. The Great Muta (WCW Starrcade) (779)

3. Billy Kidman vs. Little Guido SWF (532)

Rookie of the Year

1. Don Frye WWF (2,733)

2. Giant Paul Wight 21CW (718)

3. Kurt Angle (GCG) (578)

Best Non-Wrestling Performer

1. Ted Dibiase WWF (3,139)

2. Paulie Dangerously WWF (1,023)

3. Arn Anderson (WCW) (478)

Best Television Announcer

1. Joey Styles WWF (1,344)

2. Jim Ross (GCG) (1,287)

3. Sgt. Slaughter (GCG)*Retired into announcing (876)

Worst TV Announcer

1. Dusty Rhodes WCW (1,026)

2. Vince McMahon WWF (620)

3. Todd Pettingill ECA (590)

Best Major Wrestling Show

1. WWF Shangrila/SS'97 (1,960)

2. WCW Dusty Bowl (Max Moon's debut) (Nov '97) (1,000)

3. VZF Code Red (Feb '97)(633)

Worst Major Wrestling Show

1. WCW's Dusty's Doodle (125)

2. Bruce Hart's NYC Wrestling Bamfest (122)

3. 21CW Debut Show (when they had 7 workers - Jan '97) (97)

Best Wrestling Maneuver

1. The Crimson Cold Wave (Crimson Tag Team)  (127)

2. Hiroyoshi's Tenzan's TTD (58)

3. Great Muta's Moonsault 619 (52)

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic

1. WCW's Kiss me or die angle with Tammy Sytch and Hulk Hogan (359)

2. GCG having Bret Hart trash WWF every week on TV (34)

3. Skinner spitting tobacco on fans for heat (5 Star Supreme Wrestling -- Cult) (18)

Reader's Personal Favorite Wrestler

1. Shawn Waltman (179)

2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan (51)

3. The Berzerker (50)

Reader's Least Personal Favorite Wrestler

1. The Insane Clown Posse (253)

2. Mike Barton  (48)

3. Sid Vicious (GCG) (34)

Worst Wrestler

1. The Berzerker (WCW) (224)

2. Hulk Hogan (WCW) (49)

3. Tony Halme ECA (40)

Worst Tag Team

1. Vinnie Vegas & Scotty Flamingo WCW (157)

2. Hillbilly Jim & The Rock (Don Muraco) 21CW (108)

3. Skinner & Dutch Mantell 5SSW (97)

Worst Non-Wrestling Performer

1. (Prezident) Jack Tunney (GCG) (269)

2. Tugboat (ECA) (145)

3. Captain Lou Albano (21CW) (49)

Worst Match of the Year

1. The Berzerker vs. Hulk Hogan (WCW) (WCW Great American Bash) (245)

2. Scott Putski vs. Kurrgan (5SSW) (The 5 Star Showdown '97) (49)

3. Jerry Lawler vs. Brutus Beefcake (Career Match-Summerslam) (38)

Worst Promotion

1. Piledriver Wrestling (Regional) (198)

2. New York City Wrestling (small) (111)

3. Smokey Mountain Rebirth (regional) (79)

Best Booker

1. JJ Dillon WWF (275)

2. Dusty Rhodes WCW (185)

3. Lester McNight III GCG (61)

Promoter of the Year

1. Jim Crockett (GCG) (287)

2. Vince McMahon (117)

3. Jerry Jarrett (USWA) (79)

Best Gimmick

1. The Crimson Twins WWF (156)

2. Stunning Steve Austin WCW (47)

3. Simon Diamond's Petition against Don Frye WWF (46)

Worst Gimmick

1. Jake Robert's 'lost' without his Snake WCW (92)

2. Matt Anti-Borne (meaning, never was born. :/) GCG (53)

3. Officer-in-training John Tenta (WWF) (45)

Most Embarassing Wrestler

1. The Berzerker WCW (84)

2. Agent Steve Blackman (2 years in rehab before getting out. Our 'bad boy' of wrestling. His early small 1994 WWF Success got to him, eh?) (67)

3. Jimmy Garvin 21CW (53)

Most of the awards don't come as a suprise. It's been a great year for wrestling, mostly for the WWF, WCW, and GCG. Antonio Inoki's imput has put the WWF on the map as having the best workers in the sport. But, WCW, with the acquisition of The Berzerker, Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, and other ex-WWF'ers over the years, have more of a star power appeal to them. And now, with Bret Hart in GCG --the announcing team of Jim Ross and Sgt. Slaughter has been introduced into many more homes.

Now, what will 1998 have in store?

....an excerpt from page 5 of the Porch this past week...they did a feature story analyzing the booking of The Cartel (Russo, Dillon, etc.), taking a look at how they brought prestige back to the titles...The report was a bit inaccurate. Just a bit. Enjoy

THE

PRO

WRESTLING

PORCH

by Kade Weller

WWF TITLE HISTORY

WWF World Title

Hulk Hogan; Mar 22, 1992-Dec 16, 1992

Ric Flair; Dec 16, 1992-March 2nd 1993**

Bret Hart; March 2nd 1993-August 2nd, 1993

Yokozuna; August 2nd 1993-Nov 28th 1993

Bret Hart; Nov 28th 1993-March 24th, 1994**

The Mountie;, Mar 24th 1994 - May 12th, 1994

Ric Flair; May 12th, 1994 - June 27th, 1994***

Million Dollar Man - June 27th 1994 - April 30th 1995

Bret Hart; April 30th 1995 - July 30th, 1995***

The Mountie; July 30th 1995 - August 27th, 1995**

Ric Flair; August 27th 1995 - October 29th, 1995****

Bret Hart; October 29th 1995 - December 31st 1995****

The Berzerker; Decemember 31st 1995 - Feb 12th 1996

Ric Flair; Feb 12 1996 - March 31st 1996*****

*Steve Corino (Royal Rumble Winner); Mar 31st - April 28th 1996

The Undertaker; April 28th 1996 - Sept 29th 1996

Bret Hart; Sept 29th 1996 - March 30th 1997*****

Steve Corino; April 27th1997 - Mr. Perfect; August 31st, 2997

Mr. Perfect; August 31st - Steve Corino; September 28th, 1997

Steve Corino; September 28th, 1997 - October 5th, 1997

Steve Corino; October 5th, 1997 - Nov 97

Hiroyoshi Tenzan Nov 97 - Present***

* = Number of times held Belt; i.e. ***** (5 Time Champion)

WWF Tag Team Titles

The Rockers March 22nd 1992-Aug 3rd 1992

The Nasty Boys Aug 3rd 1992-Jan 15th 1993

Demoltion (Ax & Smash) Jan 15th 1993-Nov 1st 1993

Money Inc. Nov 1993-Nov 28th 1993

PHAT (Big Bossman & Akeem); Jan - March 94

The Perfect Horsemen (The Perfect & Tully Blanchard) March 1994 -July 16th 1994

The Cowboys From Hell (Cowboy Mike Hegstrand & Dutch Mantell) July 16th 1994 - August 10th 1994

August 10th 1994 - Aug 13th - Vacant

Insane Clown Posse; August 13th 1994 - September 25th 1994

The Perfect Horsemen; Sept 25th - Oct 30th 1994**

The Insane Clown Posse October 30th 1994 - Jan 28th 1996**

The Dark Patriot & Dr. Death Steve Williams; Jan 28th 1996 - Feb 23rd 1997

The Cartel (Horowitz & Porteau) Feb 23rd 1997 - March 17th 1997

The Road Warriors; March 17th - March 30th 1997

The Cartel; March 30th 1997 - April 3rd 1997**

The Road Warriors; April 3rd 1997 - May 5th 1997**

Insane Clown Posse; May 5th - May 25th, 1997 VACATED***

Team H; June 5th, 1997 - September 13th, 1997

Doug Furnas & Phil Lafon; September 13th, 1997 - Oct '97

Ebony Experience; Oct '97 - Jan '98

Crimson Twins Jan 98 - Present

WWF Intercontinental

The Ultimate Warrior; March 22nd 1992-September 26th 1993

The Mountie; Sept 26th, 1992-Feb 28th 1993

Shawn Michaels; Feb 28th - November 28th 1993

Chris Champion (Tatanka); Nov 28th, 1993 - Jan 30th 1994

Lex Luger; Jan 30th - Feb 7th 1994

Jerry Lawler; Feb 7th 1994 - March 24th, 1994

Million Dollar Man; March 24th - May 12th 1994

Shawn Michaels; May 12th 1994 - May 13th, 1994

The Mountie; May 13th 1995 - May 28th 1995

Johnny Smith; May 28th 1995 - Jan 8th 1996

Ludvig Borga/Tony Halme; Jan 8th 1996 - Jan 22nd 1996

Razor Ramon; Jan 22nd - Jan 28th 1996

Pretty Paul Roma; Jan 1996 - Dec 14th 1996

'Future' Steve Corino; Dec 14th - Dec 23rd 1996

Jeff Jarret; Dec 23 1996 - Feb 23rd 1997

The Lightning Kid; Feb 23rd 1997 - March 3rd 1997

Jeff Jarrett; March 3rd 1997 - April 27th 1997

Sabu; April 27th - Oct 97

Shaggy 2Dope Oct '97 - Nov '97

Owen Hart; Nov '97 - PRESENT

GWF Heavyweight

The Dark Patriot; March 1996 - Feb 1997

Jerry Lawler; Feb 1st 1997 - March 1st, 1997

The Blue Blazer; March 1st 1997 - March 30th 1997

The Sandman; March 30th - PRESENT

GWF Light Heavyweight

The Lightning Kid; December 16th, 1996 - Feb 8th 1997

Johnny Ace; Feb 8th 1997 - March 30th 1997

Shaggy 2 Dope March 30th - SUSPENDED

ECW Heavyweight

The Blue Blazer; April 28th 1996 - May 26th 1996

The Sandman; May 26th 1996 - Dec 7th, 1996

Nikolai Volkoff; Dec 7th, 1996 - March 17, 1997

New Jack; March 17 1997 - SUSPENDED

notes;

Some analysis of this shows, that while the titles have changed hands often, the calibre of wrestlers that have held the titles have been so high, that the switching of the titles did nothing, but elevate the prestige of the titles over the last few years...

Also, over the last year, there has been a decrease in the shifting on titles, and longer title reigns....

user posted image

The Year of "The Dragon"...

Feb 2rd, 1998

Monday Night Raw

Venue: Madison Square Garden, New York

Attendance: 10,014

Announcing Team: Eric Bischoff & Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan

By

Dave Schmeltzer

The first Monday Night RAW, following the Rumble, began with a small photo recap of the Rumble event, narrated by Vince McMahon. Once RAW went on the air, Bobby Heenan was shown looking around at the hot crowd, wondering where Joey Styles was. After running down the card (WWF Title Match, Christopher-Perfect etc.), he mentioned that Sean Mooney was in the ring, about to introduce the WWF President. That's when PHAT TV Host, Erich Bischoff came out of the crowd, and joined Heenan at the broadcast booth.

Heenan (Giving Bischoff 'a look') " What the...? This isn't PHAT TV, this is Monday Night Raw. What are you doing here?"

Bischoff" Well, Heenan--wrestling fans, I'm Eric Bischoff! You'll usually see me hosting PHAT TV with The Body, but I've graduated!"

Heenan" From what? Automotive school...AGAIN?!"

Bischoff" No, no, haha...no, Brain. I've been asked to do the show tonight, as Styles will be very busy tonight at the Garden! He'll be doing interviews with the wrestlers throughout the show--and tonight, HE will be the first to talk to, The Four New Horsemen, Brutus Beefcake & The Sandman! "

Heenan" That's right, car-boy! We've got two new members of the Horsemen! Sweet Bruti! And The Sandman!!" [*Ted Dibiase's music starts to play*]

Bischoff" You know what that music means! Here comes the WWF President...The Million Dollar Man, Ted Dibiase!"

Heenan" And he's joined, as always, with The Neeeeewwwwwww Tag Team Champions, THE CRIMSON TWINS!"

Bischoff"...and it looks like he's without the rest of his Presidential Council! Let's go to Sean Mooney, in the ring -- but first, a quick look at the history, of WWF Presidents!!"

- President Ted Dibiase Get's Impeached -

They quickly cut to a video montage of past WWF Presidents. Alot of President Jack Tunney sitting around his desk, like a loaf. There was a funny clip of 1994 President Joel Gertner hiding from Hogan, underneath his desk. I'm suprised they showed current ECA'er Captain Lou Albano arguing with Jim Cornette & Antonio Inoki--but they also showed Slick stealing Jack Tunney's gold. After the montage, Sean Mooney was in the ring joined with Dibiase and The Crimsons, to a nice hearty, "Crimson Sux" chant, with each side of the crowd alternating words...The Crimson's took out thier very own "Crimson mics", from their tights, and actually interupted Sean Mooney, first.

Tomax" Show some respect!"

Xamot" To the WWF President!" [*Crowd booes*]

Tomax" So some respect! To Your...."

Xamot (Shouting) " NEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! "

Tomax & Xamot" WWF Tag Team Champions!"

After a bit more stalling and taunting from all three, Sean Mooney began the long opening segment.

Mooney" Million Dollar Man, Ted Dibiase...I noticed that--"

Dibiase" President Dibiase, Mooney! Mwahahahahahahaa!!!"

Mooney" President Dibiase...Where's The Genius? Where's CEO Jim Duggan? Bill Alfonso? Where's your Presidential Council?"

Dibiase" Mwahahahaha!! Mooney!! Don't worry about that! Because, what we have to talk about is moving forward into 1998! 1998 the year of The Dragon!! And, come Wrestlemania '98, everyone will know what I mean! But first things, first! First off, I wanna talk about the lovely Miss Elizabeth!!"

Mooney" And, I think that other's want to as well! Last night, at the Royal Rumble...your Crimson Twins were especially rude! Especially rude to the 1st Lady of the World Wrestling Federation!! Now, what was that for?!"

Dibiase" First of all, Mooney...she had no business, by ringside!"

Mooney" She's the First Lady, Ted Dibiase!"

Tomax" And she'll be the last lady..."

Xamot"...if she keeps hanging around ringside...."

The Crimson Twins & Dibiase " Hahahahahaha!!"

At this point, the laugh factory was overtook by sudden cheers from the crowd. Miss Elizabeth had walked halfway down the isle and started staring at the curtain. Within 10 seconds, out came, the first WWF President, Jack Tunney, to a pop, that I'm sure not even he'd thought he'd get. He had noticable gray hairs, but his face looked primarily the same as it had when he left the WWF in 1993. Tunney, also increased his name value from the last few years of doing the President gimmick in ECA. He 'stopped' Elizabeth, and motioned her to the back, before continuing on to the ring. The crowd, feeling the surge of nostaglia, had a noticable 'Tunney' chant going....

Ted Dibiase" Jack Tunney!? Jack Tunney?! The worst President in WWF History!? Mwahahahaha!" [*Crowd booes*]

Tunney [*Takes out piece of Paper*] " I..I...[*waits for crowd to calm down*] I have here, in my hand...the document that calls for YOUR IMPEACHMENT FROM WWF PRESIDENCY!!" [*Crowd cheers*]

Dibiase [*livid, with The Crimsons*] " What!? What!? What?!! You can't do that!? You don't even work here!!"

Tunney" I do so, now! [*Crowd cheers*] But, more importantly, the people who signed this call for impeachment do, also!" [*Crowd cheers*]

Dibiase [*Grabs Paper out of Tunney's hand*] " What?! What!? JJ Dillon? Bob Orton, Joey Styles? Lanny Poffo? Jim Duggan!? What the?"

Tunney [*snatches back paper*] " No need to read through all the names. I'm sure these great WWF fans don't want to sit throught 100 signatures. " [*Crowd cheers again*]

Dibiase" I've never heard of this! Signatures? Impeachment?!"

Tunney" That's because I wrote it, in case...in the future, we had a pompous President like you, who kept abusing his power!"

Xamot" When has President Dibiase?"

Tomax" Abused his power?"

Xamot & Tomax

" WE WANT EVIDENCE!

WE WANT PROOF!"

Tunney" You want evidence? I'll give you evidence! Right here, next week, on Monday Night RAW, during the impeachment trial!" [*Crowd cheers*]

Dibiase" Wha?! No! No! You can't do this! [*To cheering fans*] Shut up! Shut up!"

Tunney" And if ya don't like it, I've got two words for you! TOO BAD!"

With that, Jack Tunney left, to another pop. After a few seconds of panting in the ring, Dibiase and The Crimson Twins 'chased after' Tunney towards the back as the crowd cheered on. They were very careful, it seems, with Tunney. They didn't have him say too much, since he's not a very charasmatic speaker. But, they had him say just enough, to the point where whatever he said would get a reaction. I like how they used the Presidential Council, and to a lesser extent, the WWF staff, to 'turn against' Dibiase for his abusing of power. I'm guessing, the 'evidence' will revolve around Dibiase's introduction of PRIDE, as well as his run-ins with Paulie Dangerously, as well as virtually every other WWF face. 81%

user posted image

Jack Tunney, the WWF's first WWF President has returned,

to lead in the impeachment of President Ted Dibiase

-ADVERTS-

Pauline Patriot d. Sexteen w/ Brian Christopher & Bruce Pritchard

It looks like the WWF is serious about the WWF Women's division. I'm hearing that they'll continue to have this 'exhibitary' type of matches until Wrestlemania '98. Bischoff mentioned that the first WWF Women's champion since, 1989, will be crowned at Wrestlemania '98. Wrestlemania '98 will take place, this year, from The Astrodome, in Houston, Texas. That's alot of seats to fill. Pauline won with the "Patriot Missle" (top rope shoulder block) at 6:33 of an OK match. The crowd was still buzzing about the whole Tunney-Dibiase impeachement thing.

Overall: 28

Crowd: 34

Match: 28

Sexxteen lost overness from this match. Pauline Patriot gained overness from this match. Sexxteen didn't really sell very much, which hurt the match rating.

- Brian Christopher blasts ally, Brian Lee -

Once, Pritchard, Sexteen, and Christopher, got up the ramp, in front of the Titon Tron they were met with Joey Styles who got a nice pop coming out. Joey Styles, who was promoted to Executive Director Of Talent Relations, this past Novemember, mentioned to Brian Christopher, how his mate, Lee The Undertaker, just missed out on winning the Royal Rumble. He brought up, Christopher's 'main squeeze', Sexteen, just loosing her match to Pauline Patriot, then asked if Christopher felt that he would, too, come short of victory, against Mr. Perfect, later tonight. Pritchard started to speak on behalf of both of his men, but was quickly interupted by Christopher;

Christopher" Now hold on a minute! Joey Styles, you come out here, and talk about this, and talk about that! Lee The Undertaker is old news! First he DUMPS Bruce Pritchard as his manager and goes on this stupid Dark Carnival thing for months! I've continued to team with you...yet you've always stayed allied with those Dark Carnival cronies, who now are ALL GONE from the WWF, now, 'Dead Man'!! So, you come crawling back to Bruce Pritchard, who did everything for you, and you beg him to take you back! So he does!...And now, you come this close to winning the Royal Rumble! But of course...like you always do...YOU FAILED! Pritchard took you back, and you failed! [*Crowd Booes*] Bruce! You've got to cut this man! I've got a match against Mr. Perfect, and I don't want Lee's MEDIOCRENESS [*Crowd booes*] to have an effect on me, like it did to Sexteen!! The only reason why Sexteen lost that match against Pauline Patriot, is because she was thinking of the dead weight that we're carrying, in Leeeeeee!! [*Crowd booes loudly*] I plan to WIN my match, tonight, against Mr. Perfect! And I'm gonna do it...and everything else...WITHOUT LEE THE UNDERTAKER! Let's get outta here!"

With that, Christopher darted away, holding Sexteen's hand, closely followed by Pritchard. Christopher has to work on his delivery, if he wants to be remain near the top...but because of the suprising face responce to Lee The Undertaker, had generated alot of heat with his comments. 94%

-ADVERTS-

The Space Croppers (Rhyno Starr & Devon Storm) d. Doom ED (Koko B. Ware & Butch Reed

There are just some people, like Doom ED, that you wonder how they still manage to keep their jobs. Both, Koko and Reed had very little offense during this match, and kept stalling by taunting fans. Finals of the match came at 10:01 with the Asteriod Explosion; an Atomic Drop from Storm, into a running Spear from Rhyno, onto Reed. There was a funny sign that made TV that read, "Koko. Your bird's needed in Atlanta"...I don't even think WCW will take the bird.

Overall: 56

Crowd: 64

Match: 63

Koko B. Ware lost overness from this match. Butch Reed lost overness from this match. Devon Storm gained overness from this match. Rhyno Starr gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- WWF Triple Crown Champion Hiroyoshi Tenzan

And The Rest Of PRIDE -

Monday Night RAW returned with Joey Styles in the ring, standing to his usual 'Oh My Gawd' chant from the MSG crowd. After, purposefully asking on mic, "Are we on", Styles introduced PRIDE. Out came, lead by James E. Cornette, WWF Triple Crown Champion Hiroyoshi Tenzan sporting a rather flashy-looking silver suit, Johnny Ace, wearing shades, Mike Barton, Hayabusa, Tatsumi Fujinami, & Jun Akiyama. Johnny Ace quickly snatched the microphone out of Styles' hand, and began to eye down the hostile MSG crowd. Ace got Cornette's attention, and directed him to a sign in the crowd....

Ace [*Pointing to a "Jerry's still the King Of The WWF" sign*]" Uh..hey buddy!? It's 1998, now. Where'd you did that sign up from? 1994? " [*They laugh, crowd booes*]

I thought that comment was pretty funny. After grabbing the microphone back, Styles called Ace 'Rude', and began to talk to James Cornette. He mentioned Highlight Kid Shaw Waltman winning the 1998 Royal Rumble, and promised that Waltman would be on PHAT TV this week on Sky television. He then asked if he was confident in Tenzan's ability to defend the title, successfully, at Wrestlemania '98. Cornette spoke, while Tenzan yelled and screamed in the background, whilst patting his belts;

Cornette

" Joey Styles, years ago when I brought Tenzan into the WWF, everyone said, he never had a chance, he was too small!

When he went against the 'suicidal', 'homicidal', 'genocidal' Sabu...many said he wasn't 'hardcore' enough!

When he went against wrestlers like Owen Hart, and Stan Hansen, everyone said he wasn't TOUGH enough!

But you see, Styles, he's proven them all wrong! He proved them all wrong when he defeated both Bret Hart and Steve Corino IN THE SAME MATCH, at Survivor Series! And, just last night...the critics got proven wrong again, when Tenzan defeated Sabu and Ric Flair in a 3 way Title match! He took the bomb out of atom! He took the Woooooo outtta Ric Flair, and he proved that he is the greatest wrestler in the world, today, Styles! And he'll prove it again tonight, against Flair, just like he'll prove it against the Lighting Highlight Flashy Jumpy Kid Shawn Waltman, at Wrestlemania!!"

After Cornette spoke, Styles moved the mic over to Tenzan who had alot to say. According to translators he basically ran down Waltman. But to all of us non-Japanese speaking folk, it sounded like this;

Tenzan

" Hahaha!! Waltmanshuuuu! Deherrrddaaaaaaa!! Dongchaaa!!

Wanngggg sonn Championshipshu!!! Wrestlemania!! Ha! Ha! ha!!

ONE! TWO! THREE! TENZANSHU!"

At that word, Cornette led PRIDE away as Bischoff and Heenan put over Tenzan big time. It looks like it will, indeed, be Tenzan-Waltman at Wrestlemania. Waltman, had the night off (as hinted by Styles), so that he's fresh and ready for the PHAT TV taping, tommorow night. 81%

The Big Bossman DRAW Barry Horowitz

In what was VERY unexpected, it took 2 advert breaks, and 5 extra minutes for this match to end, via a 20 minute time limit draw. Despite the poor workrate, in a match that looked to have footprints of Inoki booking, the crowd got more and more into the match as the match went on. By the 13th minute mark, with both men, a bit fatigued, it was clear that the match was going to go on a bit longer than usual. For the next five minutes, the two shared several near falls, with the crowd actually popping nice for all of them. At 16:55, Bossman missed an elbow job from the second rope, and got caught with the Horowitzer, a dropkick off of the top rope. But after the move, both men remained laid out--selling lack of stamina, huge. By this point, there was a nice Horowitz chant. Bischoff did a good job of both men giving it their all, as "All WWF Superstars do, each and every day, in arena's all accross the world" Horowitz was the first to get up, with Bossman shortly thereafter. Horowitz went against the ropes, but was countered by The patented Bossman Slam, which got a big reaction, for it's timing. Bossman went for the pinfall, but, time had just run out, seconds before the pinfal. Though Bossman was a clear heel, both actually got an applause as the near 30 minute ordeal came to an end.

Overall: 63

Crowd: 80

Match: 53

-ADVERTS-

- Lawler Interrupts RAW -

Coming out of the break, Bischoff and Heenan recapped all of the events that led up to the stipulation match, where Brutus Beefcake & Sandman would be admitted into the Horsemen. In the ring was Joey Styles, along with officials, JJ Dillon and, road agent, Ole Anderson. Styles gave them both very flattering introductions before, Jerry Lawler, who looked to have a chip on his shoulder, came out to no ring music. He still a nice pop, as always...after all..the man was on top of the WWF for over 4 years. He apologised to Styles, Anderson, and Dillon and said that this was important. He asked the 'boys in the back' to pull up 'that' piece of footage from earlier tonight....

Johnny Ace quickly snatched the microphone out of Styles' hand, and began to eye down the hostile MSG crowd. Ace got Cornette's attention, and directed him to a sign in the crowd....

Ace [*Pointing to a "Jerry's still the King Of The WWF" sign*]" Uh..hey buddy. It's 1998, now. Where'd you did that sign up from? 1994? " [*They laugh, crowd booes*]

Edited by Treyu

Titles:

WWF Triple Crown Champion - Hiroyoshi Tenzan

WWF Intercontinental Champion - Owen Hart

WWF Tag Team Champions - The Crimson Twins (Xamot & Tomax)

WWF President - Ted Dibiase (manager Crimson Twins) with The Presidential Council (Genius, Jimmy Del Ray, Bob Orton, CEO Jim Duggan)

Past Presidents

Jack Tunney; 1980'something- late 1993

Joel Gertner; late 1993 - mid 1994

Terry H. Hogan mid 1994 - early 1996

Captain Lou Albano; early 1996- late 1996

Paulie Dangerously; late 1996 - mid 1997

Ted Dibiase; mid 1997 - present

WWF PHAT TV

WWF Physically Huge And Tough Television

The Year Of "The Dragon"...

Feb 5rd, 1998

Channel: SKY

Venue: The LiveCline Auditorium, Cleveland - Ohio

Announcing Team: Vince McMahon & The Doctor Of Style Slick

Attendance: 12039

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Shane McMahon, Earl Hebner, Charles Robinson, Jim Mollineaux, John Finnegan

By

Dave Schmeltzer

- Slick & The Doctors Of Style -

PHAT TV, opened up with a nice montage recap of the MSG Raw happenings of earlier this week. Vince McMahon opened the show, replacing Eric Bischoff, and mentioned that Jesse The Body -- the usual co-host of PHAT TV, was out doing a charity event. Slick's music soon hit, and he came to the announcer's table along with, The Heavenly Bodies, Dr. Tom Pritchard & Jimmy Del Ray...

McMahon" And, it looks like I'm being joined by, The Doctor Of Style Slick..and...The Heavenly Bodies?"

Slick" Nahhh, Nahhhh, Nahhhh, mahh bruthaaaaaaaaa!! They are no longer the Heavenly Bodies! You is looking at, Doctor Gigalo Jimmy Del Ray, Doctor Tom Pritchard...and oohhhh baby look at that hair--THE DOCTORS OF STYLE!!"

McMahon" Oh my!" 76%

Slick lost overness from this segment. Dr. Tom Pritchard gained overness from this segment. Dr. Gigalo Jimmy Del Ray gained overness from this segment.

The Warriors Of Doom (Horace Hogan & The Renegade Warrior) w/ Paul Ellering d. The Doctors Of Style (Dr. Tom Pritchard & Dr. Gigalo Jimmy Del Ray

So, they added "Doctor" in front of 38 year old Jimmy Del Ray's name, and now he and Pritchard are the Doctors Of Style. Doesn't look they'll do much with them, though. I'm hearing, while they wanted to keep Slick around--since he's been such a strong part of the WWF--they want to tone him down, from the heavy attention that he got from being involved in the whole Zeus-Mike Tyson-King Of The Ring ordeal. WOD won, after a gorilla press and slam by Warrior, followed by the mighty Horace Leg-Drop on Del Ray.

Overall: 61

Crowd: 59

Match: 64

Jimmy Del Ray is losing overness because of his weak gimmick.

-ADVERTS-

- 1998 Royal Rumble Winner Shawn Waltman, via Satellite -

Coming out of the break, they had McMahon talk to Shawn Waltman via Satellite, from his home in Middletown, Pa. Waltman was resting, from the hard fought Royal Rumble match, and promised to return to WWF action, next week on RAW. McMahon announced, that the Wrestlemania '98 contract signing will take place next week on RAW, with interim President Jack Tunney. Slick ended the interview with his heelish questions;

Slick" Sooooo, bruthaaaaaaaaa Waltman!!! What do you say to those who say that Tenzan is a better wrassler than youuuu!!?"

Waltman" Slickster. You look at that Highlight Reel, and I can guarentee you that I'm on 80% of those tapes! Whether it was against, Carl Oulette, The ICP, Johnny Ace, Owen Hart, Mike Barton...I was always more than a lightning kid--I'm the Highlight Kid! And when Wrestlemania rolls along, what you will hear, is Joe Pedicino saying; 'Neewwwww WWF Triple Crown Champion, H.L.K, Shawn Waltman!!" [*Crowd cheers*] 84%

Al Snow d. CW Anderson

Despite the lack of crowd reaction, the two worked really hard, here. PHAT TV has always been known as the show with better 'wrestling' than RAW. During Snow's offense, there were several 'Let It Snow' chants--but as soon as the former Triple Threat member got on offense, everyone went back to sleep. During the match, they played comments from WWF Official Joey Marella, who agreed with Ted Dibiase's impeachment. Snow won with the Snow Plow at 8:55.

Overall: 70

Crowd: 59

Match: 82

-ADVERTS-

Jun Akiyama & Hayabusa d. Doug Furnas & Phil Lafon

This was probably the best match on PHAT TV in a very long time. McMahon pushed Lafon & Furnas big as former WWF Tag Team Champions. Akiyama & Hayabusa are, also, well over with the fans--Hayabusa for his short programme, as the "Japanese Assassin" fueding with Bret Hart, just prior to his departure--and Jun Akiyama for his ECW Title reign which ended right before Shangril-a due to injury. The fast paced match ended, after Akiyama ducked out of the way of a double clothesline by the Can-Am Express, and suprised them both with Exploders. After nailing them, each, with two more--he tagged out to Hayabusa, who ended the match (at 12:59) with the 450 splash on Lafon. The fans did have the decency to applaud after the match was over.

Overall: 77

Crowd: 65

Match: 90

-ADVERTS-

Don Frye w/ Clyde Vasseaur d. John Kronus Helmsely w/ Hunter McMahon Helmsely

Frye looks to be getting better, and better -- but Kronus is horrible. They used this match, mostly, as a backdrop to talk further about this impeachment trial scheduled for RAW. I have no idea of what this 'trial' actually entails...but if we have to watch Dibiase and Tunney converse in an actual court room, then I think WCW's going to have a very good rating period, next week. Frye won with an armbar at 8:14.

Crowd: 54

Match: 69

-ADVERTS-

- The Crimson Twins vs. Rapper Wolfie D -

Coming out of the break, newcomer Wolfie D was rapping in the ring, for the fans. They showed a brief shot of McMahon moving his head to the beat of Wolfie D's rapping, to which Slick yelled;

"McMaahhhhoooonnnn, you don't know how to jive!" Rap time was interupted by The Crimson Twins, both wearing the WWF Tag Team Titles around their waste. It was clear, they were out to pick on the newcomer. The paused, and waited for the "Crimson Sux" chant to die down.

Tomax [*Almost rapping*] " Hello, how are you, here, today?"

Xamot [* II *]" We have come out here to say..."

Tomax" That we've grown tired of your mindless rapping...."

Xamot" So please stop the pointless flapping..."

Tomax & Xamot [*Pointing at Wolfie*] " BEFORE WE GIVE YOU A CRIMSON SMACKIN'"

Most of the crowd booed, but some actually laughed. Tomax is such a better talker (And wrestler) than Xamot. But Xamot's scar accross his face, is enough to get him more over...since it makes him look like a certified madman. Or, a madman Tomax, since they look virtually identical. Wolfie D started to leave the ring, but then paused midway, showing his courage, getting an nice pop from the fans.

Tomax & Xamot" Don't stop there!"

Wolfie D" Who are you to tell me wat I gotta do!?"

Tomax & Xamot " Because we're the Crimson Twins!"

Tomax" The World Wrestling Federation..."

Xamot"...Tag Team Champions!"

Xamot" And we work side..."

Tomax"...by side with the WWF President..."

Tomax & Xamot" President Ted Dibiase!"[*Crowd booes*]

Wolfie D" Last time I checked, Ted Dibiase was being impeached! And you two are about to be IM-PUNCHED!"

And with that, Wolfie D, delt a couple of swift shots to the Crimson Twins knocking them both down, still wearing their belts. Wolfie quickly went through the ropes and toward the back to saftey, to a nice reaction, as the Crimson Twins frantically re-grouped in the ring. Before going to more comments from the WWF Staff about Dibiase's Impeachment, the Crimsons picked up their mics and yelled;

Xamot" This isn't over!"

Tomax" Wolfie D!"

Tomax & Xamot" NOT BY A LONG SHOT!"

Wolfie D gained overness from this segment. 71%

Sabu w/ Paulie Dangerously d. Simon Diamond w/ Kama Mustafa

Sabu, in his first match since the WWF Title Match at the Rumble, had a 'Sabu' chant going for most of the match. Dangerously was intense on the outside. Sabu won with the arabian facebuster at 11:11. McMahon noted that Diamond made his WWF Debut, turning on Tony Halme, posing as a doctor, early last year.

Overall: 78

Crowd: 77

Match: 80

-ADVERTS-

- Barton KO's Marella -

Lee d. Mike Barton

Lee's pop here was just rediculous. Lee went from one of the top heels in the company, to the undisputed top face. Despite Waltman's improvement over the year, Lee get's much more of a reaction then he, or anyone else in the company, does. The only person who's closer to Lee, is probably Sting. This match was pretty strong, as Barton's last year of a push has made his a credible singles wrestler. Finals of the match game when Lee caught Barton by the throat, as he was going for a double axe-handle, and nailed him with The Lee Chokeslam, as it's being called now. He then finished him off with the tombstone at 8:53. The fans started up with the, "Lee! Lee! Lee!" chants, again.

Crowd: 81

Match: 72

-ADVERTS-

- Joey Styles' Face2Face -

After the break, they showd a 'during the break' highlight, which showd, Mike Barton knocking out official, Joey Marella, for awarding Lee the match. McMahon then, introduced a new segment, called, "Joey Styles Face2Face with...", a taped interview segment from the Titan Sports Studios. Styles was sporting tape accross his head, selling the cane shot from RAW. This week, his guest was The Lovely Miss Elizabeth. Elizabeth said that she was the one to bring interim President Jack Tunney, back to the WWF, as a result of her rude treatment from two of Dibiase's aids--The Crimson Twins--at the Royal Rumble. She mentioned how, Dibiase, as President, formed PRIDE, and used his power to help Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Mike Barton, and Jun Akiyama achieve some form of success over the last year. Well, she's got a point. Even when Hogan was president, those in his group never really "did" anything, besides starting conflicts, every week. Oh, and Brutus Beefcake & Hunter McMahon Helmsley (The Dream Team II) were SMW Tag Team Champions--and those titles were hardly defended. Styles ended the interview by asking her, "If Ted Dibiase is, indeed, impeached -- who will you endorse as the next WWF President?"

Liz" I think, I'm with all WWF fans, when I say that the next WWF President should be...the man who's been the fairest one to date. Jack Tunney."

Styles" Thank you very much for joining us here on Face2Face...next week, my guess will be Horsemen IV member, Carl Oulette-- Liz, any last words before we go?"

Liz" And Dibiase...if you don't like this...As Jack Tunney would say--I've got two words for you--TOO BAD."" 79%

-ADVERTS-

Sting, Owen Hart, Steve Corino d. Carl Oulette, The Sandman, Lance Storm

This match looked to be clearly rushed -- but I think it was just some sort of test match, to see how well some of the members of The Horsemen and The Horsemen IV would work together. The match, which lasted all but 6 minutes long had no tags--just brawling. McMahon sold this by saying, "All 6 men...they have a hatred for each other! Unbelievable! I don't think Hebner will ever get control!" I'm hearing they may be building for some sort of War Games confrontation between the two regimes, at Wrestlemania '98. Match ended when somehow, somewhere, Sting got Storm with the Stinger Splash--followed by Hart, the legal man in (with Storm) locked on the Sharpshooter at 6:16, for the victory. PHAT TV went off the air with the 3 Horsemen IV members brawling to the back with the 3 members of the 4 Horsemen.

Crowd: 80

Match: 76

Commentary Aftermath

McMahon"..and I don't think that war will ever end! Well, on RAW, Ric Flair will be in attendance! And who knows WHAT'S on his mind, after the events of the last week!"

Slickster" That's right, baby!!! And so will the Horsemen IV, so something's gonna happen!!"

McMahon" Plus, the impeachment trial, of President Ted Dibiase! The Presidential Council, with the help of Jack Tunney are hoping to get this carrier of corruption OUT of power!"

Slickster" Nah, c'mon!! Dibiase's the man with the MON-EEE!!! Why he gotta go?"

McMahon" Plus, Kama Mustafa the Ultimate STreet Fighter goes one on one...with a man, who's certainly shown what he's made of, LEE!!"

Slickster" Lee's gone through a big UNDERTAKING, lately!"

McMahon" And of course, the contract signing, the WWF Title on the line...Wrestlemania '98--Shawn Waltman vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan! Join us, on Monday Night RAW, g'nite everybody!"

Slickster" DA MON-EE!"

Card Quality: 69

(February's Big Event PPV is ARSNAL X2

THE HORSEMEN IV

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

'Sweet Bruti', Brutus Beefcake, Carl Oulette, The Sandman, Lance Storm

(The Managers)

user posted imageuser posted image

Percy Pringle (Beefcake), Woman (Sandman)

user posted image

Feb 9rd, 1998

Monday Night Raw-

Venue: Celest Palace, Detriot, MI

By

Dave Schmeltzer

RAW OPENING

[*]HLK Shawn Waltman & Barry Horowitz vs. Mike Barton/WWF Triple Crown Champion Hiroyoshi Tenzan

[*]Brian Lee vs. Kama Mustafa

[*]Curt Hennig vs. Johnny Ace

[*]The Impeachment Trial

- The Impeachement Trial, to be held at Arsenal X2 -

RAW on 2/9 opened with Bischoff and Heenan hyping the show -- Seconds later, Ted Dibiase's music hit, and out he came with the Crimson Twins, with a look of anger on his face. They cut to several "Impeach The President" signs in the crowd. There was a really good one, that had a picture of President Clinton's face crossed out, right next to Dibiase's mug. Joey Styles commented that Dibiase was early for his impeachement trail. Dibiase yanked the mic out of Styles' hand, and starting screaming to the back at Tunney;

Dibiase" There will be no impeachment Trial, Styles! At least, not tonight!"

Styles" What do you mean!?"

Dibiase" I need time! I need time to put together the greatest defense team that my money can buy! I need 2 weeks! 2 weeks, which makes it just in time, for the WWF's next PPV, Arsenal X2! And then, Tunney -- you can bring forth all the evidence you have for my impeachement! But, remember this...It doesn't pay to cross, the Million Dollar Boss!! Remember that! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

With that, Dibiase led the Crimson Twins away to a strong heel reaction, while Styles re-inforced Arsenal X2 as the new date for the Dibiase Impeachement Trial. 86%

'Mr. Everything' Andrew Martin d. 'Road Dogg' Brian James

Well, it looks like they've officialy had 'Road Dogg' Brian James drop the garbarge man gimmick. Very strong opener here. Martin looks to be a really good wrestler, especially given his height. I'm hearing they may start a programme between he, and Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig. Martin won with the "Everything Slam", (Pumphandle) at 8:16. They hyped the rest of the card, during this match.

Overall: 74

Crowd: 71

Match: 78

-ADVERTS-

Terry Taylor d. Tatsumi Fujinami

The fans have a new found respect for Terry Taylor, after his strong C1 Clash Tournament showing of last year. Very basic match here, as Bischoff and Heenan spent this match, primarily talking about the contract signing, which was to follow this match-up. Fans were quiet for most of the match, but popped when Taylor nailed his patented top rope kneedrop, for the win at 9:01. Following the match, they cut to highlights of Shawn Waltman in the Royal Rumble...

Crowd: 71

- Jerry Lawler Ruins The Contract Signing -

Coming out of the break, Tatsumi Fujinami was in the ring, with the mic in his hand. Heenan, always the witty one goes, "It's a good thing I know 48 different languages, Bischoff. How many do you know?" as Fujinami was introducing PRIDE, in Japanese. Johnny Ace, once again, brought that "The Jerry Lawler Ace Charity Fund" cardboard box, to the Ring. Tenzan got a bigger reaction than usual, most likely due to his stellar performance, last week against Flair. Next, out came Waltman to a very strong pop. Bischoff must've mentioned that Waltman was in tag action against PRIDE, later on in the night, about 5 times during the entrances. Finally, next was interim President Jack Tunney, with the lovely Miss Elizabeth. Tunney read through the contract. It's a good thing to have Tunney back -- he's the only one that would make fans sit through rules of a match. Waltman and Tenzan stared each other down as Tunney read through the rules. Suddenly, just as Tunney asked both men to sign the contract, Jerry Lawler was spotted by the curtain, already blocked off by a host of WWF officials. Heenan mentioned here that Lawler wasn't even allowed to enter the ring, as a result of his retirement, and could face suspension if he continued to go after Ace. Lawler was heard arguing with officials saying; "Well, tell him to get rid of that stupid box! C'mon!" Everyone's attention in the ring, was then set on Lawler trying to get by several referees and officials. Finally, Lawler had enough -- punching, refs Joey Marella, Jim Mollineaux, and Earl Hebner. He, then followed suit, with Jack Lanza, Gerland Brisco, Pat Patterson, and Antonio Inoki, and charged the ring to a huge pop. What followed next was, as Bischoff said, "Pure mayhem" Tunney darted out of the way, as PRIDE ganged up on Lawler. Waltman went to help, but was pulled off and thrown out of the ring by Hiroyoshi Tenzan. Tunney grabbed the mic from the outside and screamed, "Get me some help out here!", as PRIDE pretty much ganged up on Lawler. Minutes later, Jun Akiyama, and Hayabusa, blocked off the ring, while Ace instructed Barton & Cornette to pull Lawler up. Ace, then delivered an Ace Crusher/Diamond Cutter to the retired, former GWF Champion. After that, they had GWF Wrestlers join Tunney, HLK, and officials, in clearing the ring of PRIDE. I think Bischoff is taking commentating lessons from Mooney, as he called this a "Heinous act prepatrated by Johnny Ace, Hiro Tenzan, and the rest of PRIDE....79%

-ADVERTS-

Lee d. Kama Mustafa

Once again, Lee's popularity is amazingly high. Here, he went against Mustafa, and the fans reacted as if he were taking on someone like Carl Oulette. The "Lee! Lee! Lee!" chants lasted for the entire duration of the match, and climaxed when he nailed Mustafa with the Lee Chokeslam at 5:11 of a one sided battle. Bischoff mentioned that Lee's been undefeated since he lost the "Ultimate Sacrifice Match", against Sting, at Shangril-a. So, it looks like they're building on something, here. After the match they showed footage from a charity event, joined by WWF Announcer Jesse Ventura, and some Radio Station spots, by Brian Christopher.

Overall: 80

Crowd: 84

Kama Mustafa is losing overness because of his weak gimmick

-ADVERTS-

- Ace tries to collect -

Johnny Ace d. Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig

Very long match here, with great ring psycology...which is what kept the crowd into the match--and that's what Ace is known best for. They seem to be giving Ace a little push here, as he actually kicked out of the perfect-plex. Heenan showed that the WWF has no-to-little plans with Perfect by saying; "It's just a fisherman suplex, anyway, Bischoff" after Ace kicked out. Perfect couldn't believe it, and it's here -- that Ace began his comeback. Ace clobbered Perfect with a charging turnbuckle forearm, then followed suit with a top rope Ace-Crusher for the cover at 12:56. Two advert breaks, a brief pause, and finally the match was done. Ace got some real heel heat here by going around ringside asking fans for donations for the Ace-Lawler charity fund. They showed a brief clip of Lawler flipping out, backstage.

Overall: 75

Crowd: 82

Match: 62

-ADVERTS-

- The Horsemen IV Mock a 4 Horsemen Fan -

Coming out of the break, Percy Pringle III & Woman were in the ring, tautning fans. Pringle then gave a hearty introduction to each member of The Horsemen IV...

" The young prospect...a future WWF Champion...the future Buddy Rogers, Jerry Lawler, Hulk Hogan, or even...STING of the Wrestling World...HELL! He's even got the Sting paint! LANCE STORM!"

" The right hand man of Sweet Bruti -- He's the Hitman of the Horsemen IV, the man who taught the 'voice' of the WWF, Joey Styles, a lesson...former GWF Heavyweight Champion, THE SANDMAN!"

" In my eyes, he is the reeeaaaallll Intercontinental Champion! He was the true hidden gem in the Canadian Foundation...the real leader of the Quebecers...NOW IT'S HIS TIME! The man who crushed little Steve Corino's head in between the cage door at Royal Rumble '98 - CARL P. OULETTE!!"

" And finally..[*To a fan*]..The fat man ain't finish talkin' so you can just sit down! He is a member of two legendary Dream Teams! He's a Mega-Power on his own! And he is the leader of the Horsemen IV! SWEEEEEEEEEET BRUTI!!!!!!"

The crowd was VERY hot, here. The Horsemen IV, an angle, which obviously started since last year has been nothing short of a success for the WWF. Despite being a heel, those Sweet Bruti t-shirts have been selling like crazy....

Sweet Bruti" Well, ya know somefin' brothaaaaaaahhhh!? [*Crowd booes*] I said, ya know somefin' brothaaaaaaahhhh!? [*Crowd booes louder*] Ya know...there used to be a saying...'To be the man, you've got to beat the man!' [*Crowd Woo's*] Well, hehe...there's a new sayin' brothaaaah! To be a Horseman, you've got to beat the Horsemen! [*Crowd booes loudly*] And, at the Royal Rumble, we did just that! We beat the Horsemen! And..I must say, that the NEWWWWWWWWWW Horsemen IV are looking just fine! Hahahaha! So now, the question is...which Horsemen is the better Horsemen! Is it, the old, tired, Horsemen of Ric Flair, Sting, Steve Corino, and Owen Hart? [*Crowd cheers*] Or is it the HORSEMEN IV! The collection of four of this sport's premiere athlethes, bruthaah?"

As the crowd booed, Pringle directed Bruti's attention to a fan in the front row, holding a "Horsemen 4 Ever" sign. The fan, was 19 year old GWF Wrestler, Charlie Stuanstanbilaak. Beefcake went over to the fan...

Bruti" See, now here's a fan who knows what he's talking about. Who's your favourite wrestler!? Is it, The beer drinking, stick swinging Sandman? Is it Carl Oulette?

Is it--[*Pauses to acknowledge 'Le Theif' chant*] Is it, Lance The Stinger? Hahahaha! Or is it...ME!! SWEET BRUTI!!!? C'mon."

Charlie" It's...it's...it's...WWF Intercontinental Champion...the Canadian Horseman Owen Hart!"

*The crowd popped big time for the fan--who remained unamed for the whole segement--as Beefcake and the Horsemen overeacted*

Bruti" Owen Hart?! Owen Hart!?! You like Owen Hart! That's it! Owen? Let's see just how good you really are, dude! Let's see if the 'Canadian Horsemen' is all what he says he is. Because you may have eeked by Oulette...but now, I challenge you for that I-C title! When? RIGHT HERE, NEXT WEEK! [*Crowd cheers*] Do it for the fan...what's you're name, son?"

Charlie" My name is Charl--"

Bruti" SWEET BRUTI'S NOT INTERESTED, ANYMORE! Hahaha! "

Some of the crowd actually laughed at that last comment, as Beefcake led the Horsemen IV to the back. Beefcake, I think, had a bit too much mic time, as alot of what he was saying wasn't heard from the live crowd, as they were switching between, "Bruti Sux", and "Le Theif" chants during the whole segment. Heenan and Bischoff hyped up that Owen-Beefcake matchup for next week, as Oulette & Storm got ready for their match. 64%

The Sandman debuted his new gimmick, it got a positive response. Gary the WWF Fan gained overness from this segment. Brutus Beefcake lost overness from this segment.

Carl Oulette & Lance Storm d. Rick Martel & Ray Rougeau

They're talking about placing Rougeau & Martel in announcing roles, as fans seem to care less and less about the two, as time passes by. Heenan made an interesting point here, in pointing out that 3 out of the 4 wrestlers involved in this match (Oulette, Martel, Rougeau) were apart of the first Canadian Foundation, back in 1993 (Oulette, Martel, Rougeau, Hart Foundation II, Jim Neidhart, Jimmy Hart, Mountie, & Bret Hart). Oulette won with the cannonball on Martel at 11:11. After the match, Storm landed a savatte kick on Rougeau--which he called, "The Storm Kick".

Crowd: 69

Match: 68

-ADVERTS-

- Dustine Rhoades; WWF Woman's Champion? -

According to several sources, the next segment wasn't even supposed to take place. However, after it was discovered that Dusty Rhodes made a comment about the WWF being 'second rate', on Nitro tonight, they sent Joey Styles out to interview WWF Woman's wrestler Dustine Rhoades. And, just as it happend at the Rumble -- Dustine Rhoades stole the show. Joey Styles came to the ring, and absorbed a brief "Oh My Gawd" chant before starting to speak.

Styles

" As many of you know, there's another promotion out there...You know, the place down south, who's champion (The Berzerker) passed through here, a couple of years ago. [*Crowd booes*] Now, they may refer to us as 'second rate'...but remember, the WWF stands for World WRESTLING Federation. We deliver the matches that defy athletic limitations. We're innovating Pro-Wrestling, as we know it! Whether it's the C1 Climax, Lethal Lottery, Ladder Matches -- You name it, we've come up with it! Well, 1998 is no different! Because, on March 27th, 1998 -- Wrestlemania '98 -- The WWF will crown it's first WWF Woman's Champion since the 1980's. [*Crowd cheers*] That's right. The WWF is prepared to innovate, once again--this time, in bring the finest Woman's Wrestling seen anywhere!"

Suddenly, Dusty Rhode's old music sounded:

AAMMMEEERRRICAAANN...

DREEEEEAAAAAAMMM!!She's just your common girl...WORKIN' HARD...with her hands....

Crowd popped, as they immediatley knew it was the overwieght, poke-a-dot wearing, mostly incoherent, female take-off of Dusty Rhodes--Dustine Rhoades. Joey Styles grinned as Dustine danced all around the ring, to a small, but very noticable, "Dusty's Back" chant. Styles was about to speak, but Dustine did a little shooting, acknowledging the Dusty chant...

Dustine"Whoooooooooooo is Dusty!?!?!"

[*Chant volume heightens*]

Styles[*Laughing*]" I've been asking myself that all these years! But anyway...Dustine Rhoades, are you going to be competing for that WWF Woman's Championship?"

Dustine" Listen to me, Joey-Honey...If you weeeeeeeeeellllllllllll!!! WOO!!" [*Starts to dance, shaking her butt*]

Styles" Uh..Mrs. Rhoades, if you please."

Dustine [*Seductively close*] " You can call me, Miss Rhoades. I ain't married...YET."

Styles [*Jumping back*] " UGH!!"

Dustine " But to answer yo' question...[*'Dusty' chant starts again*] I weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllll beeeaaacccompettttttiiin' innnddissssstourrrrrnaaaaaaaameeenttttttttforrrrrrrrrr daaaawommmaaan's tittle!!! YEA!! WHOO [*claps*] YEA BABAH!!!"

Styles" I think I join all 10,000+ fans here, when I say, WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY!?!?"

The crowd laughed. Dustine replied by saying, "This is what I said, Styles!!!" Continuing in her impersonation of Dusty Rhodes, Dustine went against the ropes, did a highly animated dance, and proceeded to elbow the mat, ala the bionic elbow. Styles let out a low key, apathetic, "Oh My Gawd.", as Dustine continued to dance around. They cut to more charity footage with Jesse Ventura -- as she continued to go on and on, with Bischoff and Heenan hyping Dustine as one of the competitors for the WWF Woman's Title, which will be decided at Wrestlemania '98. I'm sure this was all Russo writing here. But, I do like them using Dustine to generate interest in the Woman's title...as well as using this as an opportunity to fire back at WCW.

75%

Dustine Roads gained overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

Shawn Waltman & Barry Horowitz d. WWF Triple Crown Champion Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Mike Barton

Nice main even here, as they teased several Tenzan-Waltman encounters. They were actually in the ring together for about 2 minutes. Tenzan threw Waltman against the ropes, Waltman ducked a clothesline, then went for a spinning heel kick. Tenzan ducked the kick and went for the lariat. HLK grabbed his arm, and countered with an armbar, that Tenzan got out of by quickly getting to the ropes. The crowd applauded that exchange, as Tenzan fustratingly tagged out to Barton. Finals of the match came when Kid nailed Barton with the Lighting Kick--his spinning cartwheel kick, for the cover at 12:03. Waltman got a nice pop, celebrating with Horowitz as Cornette pulled an angry Tenzan, along with Barton, back to the locker room.

Overall: 79

Crowd: 88

Match: 71

-ADVERTS-

Commentary Aftermath

Bischoff" Well folks, a big PHAT TV planned for this Thursday night, as the #1 Contender for the I-C title will be decided, in a 3 way match, between Barry Horowitz, Johnny Ace, and Brian Christopher! But...we do have a few minutes here...because we THOUGHT, that the Horsemen...the FOUR Horsemen would be here tonight...but...it looks like...they're not here."

Heenan" Well, lemmme tell ya something, Bischoff--I know Flair. And this Royal Rumble match...it hurt him. It hurt Sting. It hurt Corino. It hurt Owen. These guys don't wanna be seen. They want some time to themselves. Everything that they've built their whole career on, has now been reduced to---" [*Ric Flair's music starts to play*]

Bischoff" Waaaaaaaaiiiit a minute!!! I think....I think....[*Sees Flair*] There he is!! There is Ric Flair! There's the Canadian Horsemen Owen Hart! There's Sting! And Steve Corino! The Four Horsemen are here!"

Heenan" And, they're heading this way! I'm outta here!"

- The 4 Horsemen Declare War On The Horsemen IV -

And with that Heenan departed as the 4 Horsemen walked over to the announcers table, and did some posing for the crowd. First, Owen took the mic....

Owen" Sweet Bruti!! You poor excuse for a barber!! You want a shot at this belt!? YOU GOT IT!!!" [*Crowd cheers*]

He quickly handed the mic to Steve Corino. At this point, it was 10:56pm, they were clearly moving fast.

Sting" Hey!! Hey, Lance Storm! You wanna go around wearing Stinger paint?! Is it because you idolise me!? Well guess what! You can meet your maker!! Any time, any where! In fact! Let's do it in about two weeks! At Arsenal X2!! And I'll wipe that paint right off of your little punk face! Wooooooooooooo!"

The crowd echoed him, as he handed the mic over to Corino. Bischoff looked so useless here, just looking up at each guy as they spoke.

Corino" And so, they say that 'Imitation is the greatest form of flattery!' So, I'll let my fellow Horsemen deal with this Horsemen IV group for now. I got my head sandwhiched in the cage -- I've got something else on my mind. I have my sites set on the WWF Triple Crown Championship! But, you see...this time, I want Tenzan ONE-ON-ONE! None of this 3 way match crap! I am the C1 Clash winner! I deserved more than being put in a stinkin 3 way dance match -- Especially since one of those wrestlers high tailed it out of the WWF since he couldn't hang! So Tenzan--I'm asking for ONE MORE CHANCE! ONE MORE MATCH! ONE-ON-ONE!! ARSENAL X2!!! Corino-Tenzan. And that's where I'll win the WWF Title for the FOURTH TIME! FOR THE FOUR HORSEMEN!"

*Crowd popped huge for that challenge, as Corino slowly passed the microphone over to his mentor, Flair. Bischoff politely told Flair that they had to wrap things up...*

Flair" Shuttup, I'm the Nature Boy, I'll wrap it up when I'm ready. [*Crowd shouts Woooo!*] OULETTE!!!!! You wannnaaa come out here, and wear this robe! [*Flair lifts up robe that he carried with him*] Woooo!! You wanna come out here and pretend to be the Nature Boy! Well guess what! YOU'VE GOT THE REAAAAAAAL NATURE BOY in two weeks, bucko!! That's right! Oulette! You think you're big time! You think stealing a WWF Belt, and interfering in Horsemen business is all fun and games?! It's because of you [*Flair starts ripping of his suit*], Woooo!! It's because of your interferance that made us loose that match! Wooo!! And it's because of me, [*Flair throws suit jacket on Bischoff's table*] that you're gonna have to wear a patch on your other eye, too!! Wooooo!! Woooo!! [*Flair spins around*] Wooooo!! Woooo! Now, you can wrap it up!"

With that Bischoff threw up his hands, as The Four Horsemen stepped down from the announcer's area, as RAW came to a close. The fans were hot as ever. 76%

Card Quality: 76%

Rating: 7.62

WCW Nitro: 7.84

PHAT TV Preview!

[*]#1 Contenders Match (IC Title)

Barry Horowitz vs. Johnny Ace vs. Brian Christopher

[*] An interview with Paulie Dangerously & Sabu

[*]The Big Bossman vs. Steve Corino

[*]Wolfie D debuts!

[*]Joey Styles Face2Face w/ Carl P. Oulette

[*]Woman's Tag Match

Pauline Patriot & Christine Blaze

vs.

Bull Nakano & Dean Diana Polane

AND MUCH MUCH MORE!

"Dustine Rhoades is GOLD, but only if she get's funky like a monkey and does some cubbering, if you weeeeeeeeeeeeeeel" -- Sycodmn

Edited by Treyu

Staff Info

This isn't the complete staff info...but just some info on some staffer's who's (either retired from wrestlers or) talent is unknown....

Eric Bischoff (Announcer, 67)

Mike Rotunda (Road Agent, 95)

Antonio Inoki (Road Agent, 80)

Ole Anderson (Road Agent, 75)

(other)

Michael PS Hayes (Announcer, 5SSW, 71)

Sgt. Slaughter (Announcer, GCG, 80)

user posted image

Feb 16rd, 1998

Monday Night Raw-

Venue: Toledo Centre, Atlanta Georgia

By

Dave Schmeltzer

RAW OPENING

[*]I-C Title: Owen Hart (Champion) vs. Sweet Bruti

[*]Paulie Dangerously's 'Big Announcement'

- Ace Complains About Lawler; Duggan Interjects -

After the opening, Johnny Ace came out with manager, James E. Cornette and instantly began boasting his 3-way #1 Contendor's match, that he won on PHAT TV. He then said that, now, as the #1 contendor, he had to focus all of his attention on 'wrestling', and couldn't worry about looking over his shoulder, at all times -- for Lawler. He then demanded that interim President Jack Tunney do something about it before he "Gives Lawler an Ace-Crusher that'll put his neck into retirment" Suddenly, Hacksaw Jim Duggan's " Hoooooooooo!!!!", was heard -- and he appeared in front of the curtain -- 2X4 in hand, to a moderately loud 'USA' chant.

Duggan

" Johnny Ace!? Hoooooooo!!! You hear these fans? U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!! These people remember the country that they live in! They remember this great country called the U.S.A! And I think, you hangin' around with all of yo' PRIDE buddies made you forget! But good 'ol Hacksaw will be proud to give you a little...'History Lesson' later on tonight, in that ring!! So whattaya say, 'tough guy!?' Hoooooooo!!"

Ace [*Waits for USA Chant to simmer*]" Hacksaw...you wanna match with me? The #1 Contender for the I-C Title? Fine. This'll be a great warm up."

Duggan" We'll see about that, tough guy!"

With that, Hacksaw began chanting again as he went to the back. The ring music of The Ebony Experience began to play, as Bischoff and Heenan began to hype the rest of the programme, once again. 69%

Johnny Ace lost overness from this segment.

Ebony Experience (Booker T & Stevie Ray) w/ Lady Jacqueline & D'lo Brown d. Terry Taylor & Rick Steiner

Is it me, or does Taylor get paired up with someone different, each week? Finals of this match came at 8:10, when Taylor missed his patented top rope knee drop, on Steve Ray. Ray tagged in Booker T, and they nailed Taylor with the Harlem Hangover--a double flapjack.

Overall: 63

Crowd: 64

Terry Taylor lost overness from this match. Stevie Ray gained overness from this match. Booker T gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- Senior Official Bill Alfonso, Supports Johnny Ace -

Coming out of the break, senior official Bill Alfonso, was standing backstage with Sean Mooney, and The Crimson Twins. He had a piece of paper in his hand, that was found by Tomax, one of the former aides, along with brother Xamot - to Ted Dibiase. Alfonso said that the paper was the contract of Lawler's retirement match with Sweet Bruti, last year. Alfonso read out the important stipulations of the contract;

Alfonso"...and the looser of the match, will not only be banned from active competition, but they are not to engage in conflict with any active competitors, and could face permanent suspension from the World Wrestling Federation, if they do so. This includes, being depraved of announcing duties, special events etc."

*The crowd reacted big to this. Now, suddenly, Jerry Lawler--a man who has been an icon in the WWF, faced a possibillity of permanent suspension.*

Tomax" Remember, we were aids to President Dibiase..."

Xamot" ...during the time of the retirement match."

Tomax" So as a result..."

Xamot" ...we remember the details."

Tomax" Details that Lawler and..."

Tomax"...interim President Joke Tunney seems to have..."

Tomax & Xamot" Selectively forgot!"

Mooney" Well, there you heard it, folks. Senior Official Bill Alfonso, along with WWF Tag Team Champions, and close aides to President Dibiase, calling for disciplinary action against Jerry Lawler for his actions. Will Jack Tunney--"

Tomax & Xamot" JOKE TUNNEY!"

Mooney" Er..yeaa...will he suspend Lawler? Back to you Bischoff and The Brain!" 80%

Tomax gained overness from this segment.

- The Ugandan Giant Snaps Again -

Flexx Kavanna d. Kamala

Kavanna had, I guess a 'return bout' with Kamala, following Kamala snapping and attacking Taylor & Kavanna on PHAT TV, last week. Of course, he did that again. Kavanna got Kamala with the Kavanna Krush, for the cover at 7:16. After the victory, while Kavanna was celebrating, Kamala attacked him from behind, and followed up with two big splashes. Bischoff kept yelling that Kamala had to be controlled. They then hyped up Paulie Dangerously's 'big announcement' that would follow the break.

Overall: 62

Crowd: 66

Match: 55

-ADVERTS-

- Paulie Dangerously 'The Guiding Light' Of The WWF -

Coming out of the break, Paulie Dangerously came down, to old ECW music, as his theme. There was a small 'ECW' chant...but Dangerously got right to business...

Dangerously

" You know...I heard Bruce Pritchard on PHAT TV talking about how he's the greatest manager in WWF History, blah blah blah! But everyone knows that I am the real guiding light of the World Wrestling Federation. [*Crowd cheers*] I started, and guided the careers, of many former WWF stars! I'm not proud about it--but I was part of THE CARTEL, during it's most dominant period! As WWF President, I laid down the law! I guided Sabu to a long healthy Intercontinental Title reign, and got him a shot at the WWF Triple Crown Title! And last year, I lead the fight against The Dark Carnival!

Just before Shangril-a, I made a call to a special friend..Sting! I needed help. We needed help. The Undertaker and the Dark Carnival were terrorizing the WWF like no group ever before! And, on Novemember 30th, when Lee The Undertaker got up, after falling off of the scaffold, high above the ring, all the way down through over 12 tables, I saw something special. I saw that, an Ultimate Sacrifice, was indeed, made. I saw a man, that didn't need to be apart of a cult, like The Dark Carnival. I saw...LEE. [*Crowd pops, 'Lee' chants start.*]

But you see, just as in the past, Lee was short of one thing -- GUIDANCE. All these years, it was clear that his manager was going for one thing -- POWER. Did he care about where Lee's career was heading? NO! He just used Lee to lead the CARTEL -- just like Ringmaster Jim Neidhart & Paul Bearer used the Undertaker to achieved their power. But, I'm different. I put the career of my clients in front of my own personal gratifications! I stepped down as WWF President, so that I can further concentrate leading Sabu to a long healthy I-C title run!

So now...at this time...I would like to bring out, the man--who over the last few months, showed that he's more than just An Undertaker. He's a fighter! A winner. And, to me -- A Champion! Ladies and gentleman...please welcome...a man, who's promising career will now be placed under The Guiding Light of Paul E. Dangerously! THIS! IS! LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

And, with that grand introduction, Lee came out, in his new usual ring attire of leather gear, and a bandana. Lee and Paulie then stood in the ring for a few minutes, absorbing the Lee chants that overtook the arena. Bischoff sold this new pairing big time, citing that nothing can get in Lee's way now. As they returned to the back they showed a brief clip of Sabu, throwing things around, backstage. Apparently, he didn't like his manager's announcement, very much. 80%

Lee lost overness from this segment.

- President Ted Dibiase Arrives -

The Crimson Twins & PHAT d. The Space Croppers & The Warriors Of Doom

Tomax & Xamot w/ Bill Alfonso, Big Bossman & Earthquake d. Rhyno Starr, Devon Storm, The Renegade Warrior & Mighty Horace Hogan w/ Paul Ellering)

Well, Bill Alfonso accompanied the Crimson's once again, to the ring. Bischoff mentioned that Ted Dibiase had not arrived yet. I found it interesting that Pedicino introduced Bossman & Earthquake as 'PHAT' --

from Slick's 1993-94 group with them, along with, The PHAT Meanie, and Kamala. Finals of this fast paced 8 man tag came at 11:17, when Ted Dibiase ran down the isle, and smashed a chair accross the back of Storm, from the outside -- as he was coming off of the ropes. The Crimsons then nailed him with The Crimson Cold Wave -- the Hart Foundation's old move, (The Hart Attack), for the victory. Dibiase, who got a huge heel reaction, coming in, then played to the crowd with Alfonso and the Crimsons, in the ring as they went to break.

Crowd: 69

Match: 68

-ADVERTS-

- President Ted Dibiase Demands Action From Interim President -

Coming out of the break, Dibiase was still in the ring with the Crimsons and Alfonso--but this time, had a mic in his hand. He hyped the Impeachement Trial at Arsenal x2, and said, that until then he still had some say in what went on in the WWF. He pushed the idea that he was innocent and did nothing wrong during his tenure. Bischoff, I guess not knowing he was shouting over Dibiase's promo, yelled here; " What about being apart of PRIDE! Working with the Dark Carnival! Attacking WWF Officials! C'mon! What kind of President is that!?" Dibiase, then, moved onto the subject of Jerry Lawler attacking Johnny Ace on numerous occassions, ever since they had that little altercation, a few weeks ago, on Monday Night Raw. He then demanded that Tunney, as interim President punish Lawler for what he's been doing. That's when the Wrestlemania theme began to play, and out came interim President Jack Tunney -- or as the Crimsons say, JOKE Tunney.

Tunney" President Ted Dibiase, once again, this is a prime example of you, using your power to hurt your enemies! The months of, attacking officials, helping PRIDE Wrestler's win their matches, working with The Dark Carnival...these are all reasons why you're being impeached! [*Crowd cheers*] But...in this case...the Lawler case...even though I know that you guys have a bitter rivarly dating back to '94...you do have a point."

Dibiase" Mwahahahahahahaha!!! That's right, Tunney! It's about time that you see things my way! So what's it gonna be, for Lawler? Lifetime suspension!? That's what it says in the contract!"

Tunney" I'll make a decision...but NOT TONIGHT! I will make a decision, this week, on PHAT TV! I'll see you then. [*Starts to leave ring, then stops in between the ropes*] Oh...and Dibiase -- If you don't like that, I've got two words for you...TOO BAD!"

Crowd popped for Tunney's usual line. As Tunney was drawing near the curtain, Dibiase decided to get in some last words...

Dibiase" Tunney!! Tunney!! You'd better bring your best Lawyers to that trial, because I'll have million dollar Lawyers on my side! Mwahahahahaha! Tunney...you will learn...just like everyone else has, that -- IT DOESN'T PAY TO CROSS...THE MILLION DOLLAR BOSS!! Mwahahahahaha!!!"

79%

Johnny Ace d. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Ace and Cornette shook Dibiase's hand, when they got into the ring, for this match. This was another small scene to sell the 'corruptiveness' of Dibiase, as President. Ace did what he could to make this match, something, but Duggan's as immobile as a desk draw. Hacksaw did do a good job of keeping the fans, somewhat interested. Ace won with the ace crusher at 9:03. Bischoff sold the Ace-Crusher big time, saying that it could permantley injure wrestler's necks. Once again, Ace took his carboard box for Lawler charity, and walked around ringside, looking for donations. Heenan mentioned that Ace will be facing, either Owen Hart or Sweet Bruti, at Arsenal x2.

Crowd: 72

Match: 42

-ADVERTS-

- Lawler requests reinstatement -

Coming out of the break, Mooney was standing by with Jerry Lawler, who had a very serious look on his face. Mooney asked Lawler his thoughts, on the fact that he could face expulsion from the WWF, after this Thursday. Lawler did a serious promo, here...

Lawler" Ya know, Mooney...Should I really be suspended? I mean, sure, I violated the stipulations of that retirement match a few times -- but how would you feel, if you're hanging out backstage, talking with announcer Vince McMahon, and all of a sudden, you hear a wrestler making fun of you!? For no reason at all! So here's what I'm asking, iterim President Jack Tunney. Instead of suspending me...REINSTATE ME" [*crowd is heard cheering*]

Mooney" Holy Cow! Reinstate you!? The only ones who can reinstate you, is the wrestler who beat you, Brutus Beefcake and...."

Lawler" The WWF President! Or, in this case, the Interim President. And, I know I violated rules...and I know that Beefcake ain't gonna get me reinstated...so I'm asking Tunney to reinstate me. I was provoked. I was horsed into this! "

Mooney" Jerry 'The King' Lawler, I hate to be a party pooper, here -- but the chances of you being reinstated are...are....well..."

Lawler" Slim to none? Is that what you're trying to say? Because, you're right. But I'd figured I'd throw that out there. I shouldn't have to take this treatement, Mooney. And if I am suspended...then...well...so be it. But, I don't regret anything that I've ever done, here."

Mooney [*Shakes hands with Lawler*]" You're one of Memphis' greats. Good luck. Eric. Bobby. Back to you guys."

Owen Hart d. 'Sweet Bruti' Brutus Beefcake w/ Percy Pringle III

Heenan was hilarious, here during the ring introductions in making fun of Lawler for his pleading; " Waaaaaahh! Waaaahhh! Waaahhh! What a crybaby that Lawler is! You do something wrong, then you pay for it. I never met a King that cries, have you?"

Beefcake worked his usual slow style, hiding his ability of not being able to do, basically anything. Bischoff pushed this, as a 4 Horsemen vs. Horsemen IV match, which went over well, especially due to the hot crowd. At 9:44, following an overhead toss, Beefcake gave the sign for the Sleeper hold, which got a HUGE heel reaction. Beefcake, then, instead of doing the hold, got angry at the crowd for booing, and made his sleeper sign, again--getting an even hotter reaction. It's great to see Beefcake, at this point in his career, with so much heat. He's in great condition, and--even though he was never much of an intriguing talker--his character is what got him over. Both Beefcake and Pringle, then started to yell at ringside fans. At this point, Owen got behind Beefcake, and suprised him with the roll-up for the cover, and the victory. Crowd popped big time, for the finish. Beefcake was livid. He began throwing a tantrum, as he was joined with the other Horsemen IV members. However, The 4 Horsemen quickly hit the ring, to join the Intercontinental Champion, Owen Hart celebrating in the ring.

They went to an advert break with the Horsemen IV outside the ring, and the Four Horsemen in the ring. They did the split screen deals again showing Sting/Lance Storm, and Oulette/Flair. I'm hearing their going to add Sting-Lance Storm to the card, since Storm is still going around wearing Sting paint.

Overall: 77

Crowd: 85

Match: 61

The WWF Intercontinental title has lost image.

-ADVERTS-

Commentary Aftermath

Bischoff" Well folks, we're just about to rap things up here, but, Brain, what a RAW it was tonight! In a few days; PHAT TV, Jerry Lawler is hoping that Tunney grants him reinstatement!"

Heenan" Oh, c'mon Bischy. Lawler broke the rules of a contract. He should be suspended. End of story!"

Bischoff [*Holding his ear*]" I'm...ok..ok...well we're gonna wrap it up here, folks, join us next week for the final RAW before Arsenal x2 -- but PHAT TV is right around the corner...and...I'm hearing...that Sean Mooney is with...Johnny Ace? Let's..um...yes...let's go to the back. Mooney?"

Heenan" Give an Ace-Crusher to Mooney!"

- Ace's parting words for Lawler -

They jumped to the back, where Sean Mooney was literally chasing behind Ace, as he angrilly searched for Lawler. Ace was upset that Lawler was asking for reinstatement. When they got to the back, they saw Lawler, bags in hand, heading towards his car. Ace, yelled at Lawler from the doors...

Ace" Hey, Burger King! Lemme tell ya something -- I don't know what you're trying to pull, but YOUR RETIRED! And that means that you can't go attacking...TITLE CONTENDERS, like me, just because you were never one yourself! [*Crowd is heard in background, booing*]

Lawler, you're out of here!"

At this point, Ace, who had the camera pointed at him, snatched the camera from the camera man's grasp. He then pointed it at Lawler, who stood there, like a loaf, next to his car, and said;

Ace" Take a look, right there. You're looking at WWF Great Jerry Lawler, here for the final time! It's been great, Jerry -- but like all Burger Kings -- you gotta go outta business sometimes! Haha! There he is! The King Of The WWF! For the very last time...." 74%

Jerry Lawler lost overness from this segment.

Card Quality: 69

TV Ratings -

Nitro: 7.87

Raw: 7.30

ECA: 3.90 (Graveyard - TNT)

PHAT TV Preview!

[*]Lee & Sabu vs. Brian Christopher & The Big Bossman

[*] Al Snow vs. Simon Diamond

[*]The Helmsley Cousins (John Kronus Helmsely & Hunter McMahon Helmsley)

vs.

The Brooklyn Bad Boyz (Debut)

[*]Joey Styles' with a Live Face2Face w/ Jerry Lawler following....

[*]Interim President Jack Tunney's decision regarding Lawler's future in the World Wrestling Federation

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

PO Box 1228, CA - February 2nd, 1998

*********************************************************************************************

Corino Out For Arsenal. Lee's Plans to Go into Rehab, after Arsenal

In, what has to be two devasting blows to the WWF, Steve Corino, announced this past week that he will not be able to make it to Arsenal x2. According to several sources, Corino gave notice to Vince McMahon just several days ago, informing him that he had a family emergency to attend to. This, of course, now leaves the WWF in a huge bind, as now, their Main Event is more-or-less, ruined.

In more bad news for the WWF, at the reccomendation of road agent, Mike Rotunda, Brian Lee will be heading into rehab, immediately following Arsenal x2. The recommendation came, after Lee arrived at 4 consecutive house shows, considerably drunk. As a result, the WWF gave him an ultimatum. The choice of being fired, or checking into rehab. The amount of time that Lee will spend in rehab is unknown, but many feel his behaviour is a direct result of his success in the WWF, over the last year.

Where this leads the WWF, into Arsenal x2 is unknown. Who will replace Corino? Where does this leave Lee, and the future plans that the WWF had, with him. I'm hearing they were planning for a Lee vs. Sabu Wrestlemania match -- stemming from Lee joining with Paulie Dangerously; but that looks like it's been scratched now. As for the WWF Title Match -- I can't think of any viable options for Corino's replacement. Waltman wouldn't work...since that's the Wrestlemania, Main Event. Of course, the WWF could go with a quick switch, and just put one of the other, more established, top faces, like any of the other Horsemen -- but to put someone like Sting in there, would be a waste -- as a Sting-Tenzan feud could do great for business, given the correct set up. Owen can't face him, as he's already I-C Champion. And Flair and Tenzan already fought 4 times in the last two months.

With the WWF going up against WCW's Superbrawl Main Event of Stunning Steve Austin vs. Hulk Hogan, it's clear that the WWF's going to have to think of something. And fast. The Lee situation, while an inconvenience, and a dissappointment to many -- isn't as severe as Corino's case. Lee, has just started to get popular, so the WWF still has the Horsemen as their top faces; with Waltman close behind. Waltman has been said to have been getting pops, just below those of Lee.

Next week's PHAT TV will be an interesting one. The WWF, as of RAW 2/16, did not acknowledge either Corino's or Lee's eventual departures. Corino will be back on March 2nd. But, Arsenal x2 is Feb 22nd.

In other news, Bret Hart is said to be very happy with Golden Canvas Grappling.....

Edited by Treyu

The Year Of "The Dragon"...

Feb 22rd, 1998

ARSENAL II - PAY PER VIEW

Venue: The Aethran Arena - Portland, Oregon

Announcing Team: Vince McMahon & Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Attendance: 18,246

In-Ring Announcer: Howard Finkel

Referee Team: Mike Chioda, Shane McMahon, Earl Hebner, Charles Robinson, Jim Mollineaux, John Finnegan, Bill Alfonso, Shane McMahon, Dave Hebner, Bill Silvermann, Joey Marella, Fuji-san, Jimmy Korderas, Earl McDavis

-- By Dave Schmeltzer

Arsenal x2 on 2/22 drew in 18,246 totalling up for a total gate of $1,094,760, expecting to see Tenzan vs. Corino, on top. Before the Pay Per View started -- during the preview -- they said that Steve Corino missed his flight into Portland, and would most likely not be able to make it to Arsenal x2. Well, it's about time they let the fans in on the truth, well, part of it anyway. In what could've been a pure disaster, the WWF used this time increase the innovation with the smaller feuds, and pushed the Waltman - Tenzan confrontation.

[*] - Introducing The Crimson Sister; 'Rusha' -

1. Rusha won the WWF Women's Battle Royal, in 11:07, after eliminating Lady SPEED

Referee - Joey Marella, Tim White, Shane McMahon

Entrants: Beulah, Christy Blaze, Cactus Girl, Sexteen Summers, Dean Diana Polane, Lady SPEED, Bull Nakano, Dustine Rhoades, Rusha & Helen Wolfenstein

During the ring entrances of the women, Jesse Ventura started talking about his recent autograph signings, and public appearances. He called himself, 'The Most Popular WWF Superstar Of All Time - EVER' McMahon laughed, and began calling the match.

The crowd, which was hot, right away, actually reacted to this match. Most of the attention was revolving the subtle lesbian, Sexteen Summers, Dustine Rhoades, Lady SPEED, and the winner, Rusha. The highlight of the match occured, 3 minites in; After Bull Nakano was elimated by Rhoades, Catcus Girl decided to go for a top rope elbow to the outside, onto Nakano. She missed, and eliminated herself. This got a small 'Oh My Gawd' chant started for a short while. At 4:44 Lady SPEED awed the crowd after she went to the top rope for a springboard onto Dean Diana Polane. Her gimmick is that she's obviously recklessly fast and agile. The overweight female Dean flopped over the top rope to the ground shortly after. At 7:44 when Rhoades was on a rampage, landing the bionic elbow on all 8 women left, an unfamiliar face appeared from the curtain. It was 29 year old female bodybuilder, and GWF Wrestler, Joanie Laurer (Chyna)

user posted image

Final Call By Vince McMahon & Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

McMahon" Wow!! Look at Rhoades go! An elbow to Christine Blaze! Helen Wolfenstein...staggers into the corner! Sexteen Summers...down to the mat! Oh here we--[*Notices Laurer*]WAIT A SECOND! Who's that!?"

Ventura" I've got a better question, McMahon: WHAT'S THAT!?!?!"

[*Laurer enters ring. Picks up Sexteen Summers and gorilla slams her to the outside*]

McMahon" Oh my! Look at the power of this woman! Who is she?"

Ventura" She's entry #12, McMahon! There were only 11 entrants! Up until now!"

[*Gives the 6'7" Helen Wolfestein a lariat, that sends her over the top, and to the outside*]

McMahon" Unbelievable!"

Ventura" Now, McMahon, this is my kinda girl!!"

[*Grabs the last entrant left, Lady Speed, by the throat -- and tosses her, with one hand, right over the top rope to the arena floor*]

McMahon" She's no girl! She's a monster!"

Ventura" And this monster has just won the WWF Women's Battle Royal!"

Overall: 38

Crowd: 45

Match: 41

Howard Finkel began to announce Laurer as the winner, but he stopped midway in sentence because he didn't know her name. While he stood there confused, asking everyone if they knew who she was, Laurer stood around the ring and eyed down the crowd. Most cheered. They've never seen a woman wrestler of this magnitude. The cheers quickly turned to booes when The Crimson Twins, WWF Tag Team Champions, emerged out of the curtains and made their way to the ring. They were followed by the whistle blowing, always hopping, senior official Bill Alfonso. They paused and looked arrongantly at the crowd as they did the famous alternating arena sides, 'Crimson Sux' chants. They were flawless on the mic. Even, at times when it was clear that Tomax was improvising - as he is the more charasmatic one - Xamot always quickly followed as if they planned it. The chemistry is amazing.

Tomax[*On Turnbuckle, shouting*]" There's nothing worse than bloody, Portald Oregan..."

Xamot" ....the city that never wakes!"[*Crowd booes*]

Tomax" Allow us to introduce to you..."

Xamot"...the winner of the WWF Arsenal x2 Women's Battle Royal!!"

Tomax & Xamot" OUR SISTER!"

Xamot" Adopted, of course..."

Tomax" RUSHA!!"

Crowd popped big time for that announcement, as Alfonso hopped around all three, like a kangaroo on coke. Rusha took the mic, and began to talk, but Xamot yanked it out of her hand, laughing a bit with Tomax.

Xamot" Rusha doesn't get to speak..."

Tomax"...don't be silly."

[*Rusha grins, showing probably one of the most hideous looking smiles that I have every seen*]

Xamot" What we'd like you to do Rusha..."

Tomax" ...is to show the people here, those muscles of yours..."

[*Rusha flexes, frowning into the camera*]

Xamot"...those biceps..."

Tomax" are like the size of..."

Xamot"..of what?"

Tomax" I'VE GOT IT!"

Xamot" Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Tomax" I always am!"[*Both arrogantly shine their Tag Titles, crowd booes*]

Tomax" Now, where were we? Ah yes!"

Xamot" The biceps!"

Tomax" Those biceps are the size...."

Tomax & Xamot" OF RUSSIA!"

Rusha flexed for a few more seconds, answering the crowd's booes, until Wolfie D's music hit. He came out to the curtain with a mic....

Wolfie D" Yo! Crimson sissy's! You gotta girl to watch yo' back! And she ain't even biological! [*Crowd laughs. A closeup is shown of Rusha grimacing at that remark*] Well, I got mah dawgs watchin' mah back! And this is mah main dawg! He's the biggest baddest thug out of thugsville, Tennesse! He's SCOTTY T! And we are RATED R!"

At that point, out came called up GWF Wrestler, Scott Taylor. When he was younger, he started out in the USWA with Jerry Lawler, and his son, Brian Christopher -- before they both came to the WWF. Scotty wore gangster clothing, and strutted down the isle like he was straight out of, 'thugsville', I guess. They both charged the ring, and the match began. 68%

Rusha gained overness from this segment.

[*] - The Crimson Switch -

2. The Crimson Twins (Xamot [70] & Tomax [64] w/ Bill Alfonso [83] & Rusha [52]) defeated Rated R (Wolfie D [67]& Scotty T [48]) in 15:48, retaining the WWF Tag Team Titles

Referee: Shane Mcmahon

WWF Tag Team Championship

Bringing in ECA woman star Rusha, into the GWF Developement territory, a few months ago, looked to have paid off, as she was jawwing with ringside fans, already. Match started off, fast paced, with all 4 men brawling. This was definately a good way to hide Xamot's lack of workrate. But of course, Ventura brings up that German-Army inflicted scar under Xamot's left eye, every two minutes to get him over -- which works. Tomax & Scotty T had a really good exchange, that the crowd was getting into. Tomax wore Scotty T down, with a abdominal stretch spot, at 7:57. When the ref was distracted by Rusha and Alfonso, the Crimson twins switched spots -- and the alternate twin ran in, and continued with the abdominal stretch. Crowd started to grow restless during a 3 minute boston crab spot, by Tomax onto Scotty T -- but popped when Scotty powered out of it, sending Tomax flying into the turnbuckle. He tagged out to Xamot, who couldn't catch Scotty in time, before he made the hot tag to Wolfie D. Xamot sold Woflie's punches, and took an underhook suplex, leading into a near fall. After a few more minutes of Xamot getting thrown around, Wolfie tagged in a re-energised Scotty T. McMahon stressed that not only would the Crimson's loose the Tag Team Titles -- but, should they loose this match, it would be their first WWF loss. Scotty & Wolfie gave Xamot a double brainbuster -- or the "Thug Drop". At this point, Alfonso hopped on the apron and started blowing his whistle at McMahon. Of course McMahon ran over to stop him.

Here, at 12:44 into the match, Rusha pulled herself up by the ropes and into the ring. The crowd looked in anticipation as she taunted Rated R. Wolfie D ran up to her, but stopped, as he didn't want to hit a woman. Scotty T did the same. She then slapped both men -- right after each other -- with the slaps echoing througout the arena. Rusha kicked Wolfie, then sent him through the ropes to the floor. Next, she gave Scotty a nice looking implant DDt -- his own move. After both Twins recovered, they told Rusha to hold up Scotty, for what looked like the Hart Attack tag team move. But instead they did, what Ventura called The WWF's first ever 'Triple Team Move'

While Xamot climbed the turnbuckle, Tomax nailed Scotty with a high Crimson Cranium Kick, to the back of the head. Xamot quickly followed up with a top rope clothesline, sending Scotty out of Rusha's grasp, and straight down into the mat. Rusha quickly left the ring, while Xamot attended to Wolfie on the outside. Finally, after Tomax made the cover, McMahon returned from Alfonso, and made the cover, awarding the match to The Crimson Twins.

Crowd: 62

Commentary Aftermath

McMahon" The Crimson Twins are still the WWF Tag Team Champions! But you can't tell them apart! That's why they won, tonight!"

Ventura" McMahon, did you see that!? The WWF's first ever Triple Team Move! Tomax's kick to the back of the head -- then, BAM! Here comes Xamot with top rope clothesline! All while Rusha held that Scotty up above her shoulder!"

McMahon" Well certainly this, 'sister' of the Crimson Twins, is quite the unique one, but this wasn't a 6-man contest, Jesse. But coming up, the verdict; Will President Dibiase be impeached? "

----------------------------------------------------------

They breifly went to the back where Sean Mooney was standing outside of a door that read, "KEEP OUT: TRIAL IN PROCESS" Mooney said that he was hoping to get updates from WWF staff as they enter and leave the room. Just as he said that, Cowboy Bob Orton, of the Presidential Council, appeared, walking to the door. Orton, doing his total heel act, told Mooney to get out of his ways, as "He had more important matters to attend to"; that being the trial, as he brushed by Mooney and walked into the room. Mooney, pearing into the room, had the door rudely slammed in his face right before he sent it back to McMahon & Ventura.

----------------------------------------------------------

[*] - The Memphis Knight -

3. Owen Hart [86] defeated Johnny Ace [80], in 11:13 retaining the Intercontinental Championship

Referee: John Finnegan

WWF Intercontinental Championship

During the ring entrances, McMahon announced that Steve Corino was attempting to make it into Oregon via emergency helicopter. Boy, Mcmahon sure can tell a good lie. Match started off with the two going at it via a slugfest, which got the crowd hot, almost, immediately. Cornette, outside the ring held a sign that read, "RIP BURGER KING", of course, directed at the suspended Lawler. At 7:13 the two got into a chopfest, over in the turnbuckle corner -- which climaxed with Ace crushing Owen in the face, with a forearm, following his chop. Ace, then began alternating between rapid chops and forearms, then gave Owen a snap mare out of the turnbuckle. He quickly went to the top, and nailed owen with a forearm off of the top turnbuckle to the back of the neck. Ace, who was pumped at this point, followed up with two back drops, followed by a top rope legdrop, for another near fall. Ace, sweating prefously(sp), starting to push around referee John Finnegan, urging him to count faster. He was then suprised, as he turned back around, to an Owen punch to the stomach from his knees. Owen gave him another punch, but his comeback was quickly stopped with a kneelift, for another near fall. Ace, than gave the sign for the Ace-Crusher, which got a heel pop from the crowd. However, as he was setting up for the move, he decided to go one step better -- A top rope Ace Crusher. After he sat Owen on the turnbuckle, Owen started to punch him, as he was climbing up for the Ace-Crusher. The crowd started the 'Owen' chant until Owen landed a roundhouse right on Ace, sending him off the turnbuckle and too the mat. Owen quickly followed with a 2nd rope elbow drop, ala his brother, Bret -- that the crowd, noticed, and popped for. McMahon and Ventura started selling the idea, that Ace, perhaps made a mistake by going up for the top rope Ace-Crusher. 5 minutes later, Owen came off of the tope rope with a flying splash, ala his GWF Championship Blue Blazer days. At this point, The Memphis Knight made his (first?) appearance.

user posted image

Final Call By Vince McMahon & Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Ventura" Look at Owen, McMahon! Did you see how high he got! What's---"

[*At this point, Jerry 'The King' Lawler's old music plays, crowd pops*]

McMahon" Wait a minute! Is that what I think it is!?"

Ventura" It's Jerry Lawler's music! But he's been suspended, McMahon! He'd better not be here!"

[*Out of the curtain, comes a masked man, wearing blue single strap tights, with white colouring on the pants. It clearly looks to be the body of Jerry 'The King' Lawler. Accross the right pant leg reads "Memphis", the other reads "Knight.

McMahon" Wait a second! That's not Jerry Lawler! That's...That's.....The Memphis Knight!?"

The Memphis Knight, got a huge pop coming out, especially coming out to Lawler's music. The Knight got in the ring, and went right after Ace, nailing him with 3 roundhouse rights, followed by an elbow smash after throwing Ace into the ropes. Crowd popped big time here, as McMahon & Lawler got over John Finnegan, as usual, as being one of the most lenient officials in the WWF.

Ventura" Now why isn't Finnegan disqualifying Owen!?"

McMahon" Because that's referee John Finnegan! Acquired years ago when ECW merged with the WWF! OH MY...look at that...SPINNING PILEDRIVER!"

After giving Ace a spinning piledriver, though he only moved a few degrees to his right when coming down, The Knight, went to the second rope, pulled off his strap ala Jerry Lawler, and nailed Ace with a top rope fist. Owen looked on in confusion, with Finnegan. Crowd started to chant 'Jerry', here, as they were now noticing the similiarities between this Knight & Jerry Lawler. Plus, Ace was getting destroyed. After a stump piledriver, the Memphis Knight left to a huge pop. Cornette tried pulling on Knight on his way back up the ramp, but was met with a right hand to the face, sending him staggering all over the place. Owen, administered the sharpshooter onto a beaten and battered Ace, at 13:01, for the victory.

Overall: 69

Crowd: 81

Match: 71

The WWF Intercontinental title has lost image.

Commentary Aftermath

Ventura" Where's the disqualification, McMahon!? Why is Owen the winner of the match! Who was that man!? I'll say it, McMahon! That looked alot like that crybaby, Jerry Lawler!"

McMahon" Wait a minute! You don't think---"

Ventura" OF COURSE THAT'S WHAT I THINK, MCMAHON!! Not everyone's as dumb as you!"

McMahon" Well, I don't think that's the case, Jesse -- We will find out more about this Memphis Knight in the weeks to come! Coming up, it's time for the verdict. Will Ted Dibiase be removed as WWF President!? For the first time ever, a WWF President has been impeached! Is this the end of the road for Dibiase?"

Ventura" I hope not!"

[*] - The WWF Presidential Impeachment Trial -

They to the backstage area with Sean Mooney joined by Lanny Poffo, who was dressed a read shirt, and grey sweatpants. He represented the Presidential Council, who impeached Ted Dibiase. On the other side of Mooney, was Clerance Mason, introduced as Ted Dibiase's lawyer. Vince Russo, who's last on air appearance was in 1994, with Randy Savage and Sid -- was immediatley next to Mooney, holding an envelope in his hand. He was introduced as WWF Matchmaker Vincent Russo. As Poffo and Mason looked on in anticipation, hoping for a not=guilty verdict, Russo made the verdict;

Russo [*Reading from the paper in the envelope*]" We, the executive board of the World Wrestling Federation, find, President Ted Dibiase guilty, of running a corrupt campaign as WWF President. [*Poffo and Mason start to have a fit. Russo talks over them*] Time and time again, Mr. Dibiase has failed to show the qualities of a fair, honourable President...[*Poffo and Mason continue their uproar*]...and has failed to consistently display signs of improvement, or willingness to change. This verdict was reached as a result of reviewing countless amounts of footage, where President Dibiase exemplified these dishonourable qualities; one of which will be shared, immediatley following this annoucement. Lastly. THIS DECISION IS FINAL. President Ted Dibiase is no longer, nor can he ever be again, WWF President. Ted Dibiase has been impeached."

As Russo stood there, Poffo, and Clerance Mason protested the announcement. Cowboy Bob Orton, Mike Rotunda/IRS, & Jack Lanza also joined Poffo and Mason in the protest.

Poffo" NO! NO! You can't do this!?"

Orton" You won't get away with this!"

Mason" My client will not tolerate this! You will be hearing from my lawyers!"

Russo [*Ignoring the trio*]

" Consequently, there will be a new WWF President named at Wrestlemania '98, in just a couple of months. Thank you."

Poffo" You can't do this to our President!"

Mason" This ain't over!"

Crowd popped big time for the 'guilty' announcement. Russo then showed the key piece of evidence, that helped 'them' in making the decision. It was from RAW last year, where then WWF, now, ECA announcer, Sgt. Slaughter actually confronted Dibiase about the way he was acting as President.

This, shortly after Dibiase introduced PRIDE. I'm sure the WWF did this, also, to take a shot at Sgt. Slaugther, announcer of GCG.

Raw August '97

Slaughter came out and started running down Dibiase as President and said that he should resign as leader of PRIDE so that he can be an 'honourable' President. At that point, PRIDE'S Japanese music played, as President Ted Dibiase, Road Agents Mike Rotunda/IRS & Antonio Inoki, & ECW Champion Jun Akiyama walked down the isle to a huge heel reaction. Dibiase yelled at Slaughter for questioning him. Slaughter, apparently not heeding Dibiase's word asked him if he and PRIDE were afraid of the WWF's newest addition, STING! Dibiase threw a tantrum, yelling;

Dibiase" STING!? STING?! The WWF President is standing right before you and all you can ask about is, STING? A former tag team specialist is here, in Mike Rotunda, and all you have to ask about is, STING!? Perhaps the greatest mind in all of Japanese Wrestling, and a high ranking WWF Official Antonio Inoki is standing right before you...and all you have to ask about is, STING!! Slaughter!! The current ECW Heavyweight Champion is standing right before you...JUN AKIYAMA!! Perhaps the most underated wrestler in American Wrestling Today!! He can suplex you in thousands of ways! He can make you submit in more ways than most! And he is the ECW Champion!! Yet, all you have to talk about is, Sting?!? That's it Slaughter!! It's come to my attention that you aren't doing a sufficient job as an announcer! You're not asking the questions the people want to hear. Slaughter! You will learn, that It doesn't pay to cross the Million Dollar Boss!!! YOU'RE FIRED!!!"

With that, Jun Akiyama handed his ECW title over to Inoki, and grabbed Slaughter, teasing the exploder. Inoki, Dibiase, and IRS urged Akiyama to go forward and nail Slaughter with the Exploder, which he did moments later, dropping Slaughter on his head. Akiyama then picked him up, threw him into the corner, and nailed him with a charging knee. Finally, PRIDE'S music played, as Inoki raised the hand of the ECW Champion, as Dibiase and Rotunda laughed in the background, leaving a beaten and battered Slaughter laying in the ring, motionless. 93%

Jun Akiyama gained overness from this segment.

user posted image

March 2rd, 1998

Monday Night Raw-

Venue: Ulane Arena, Cincinatti, OH

Attendance: 7,011

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Billy Silvermann, Mike Chioda, Dave Hebner, Shane McMahon, Jimmy Korderas, Joey Marella, John Finnegan, Jim Mollineaux

By

Dave Schmeltzer

RAW OPENING

[*]Highlights From Arsenal x2

[*]The Highlight Kid Shawn Waltman & The Memphis Knight

vs.

The Crimson Twins (Non-Title Match)

[*]"Mr. Everything" Andrew Martin vs. Sting

[*]A special Interview with Manager of the Warriors Of Doom (Hogan & Warrior), Paul Ellering

- Oulette Attempts a Styles Strike -

Monday Night RAW on 3/2, following Arsenal, opened up with the "Oh My Gawd" chants as Joey Styles stood, stationary, in the ring. Just before they went live, they showed Styles protecing an injured Flair from the Oulette Cannonball, followed by him refusing to raise Oulette's hand. He got an extra amount of applause for this.

Styles

" About 5 years ago, a 21 year old kid who wanted to become a wrestler, made his WWF debut, right behind that announcer's table -- just like me. His name is, Steve Corino. [*Crowd cheers*] Steve Corino, at the young age of 26, is already a 3 time WWF Champion, and just last night--he had a chance to make it number 4. For, yes, The Four Horsemen. But that chance got derailed. No one's sure quite why. So now...without any further ado, please welcome, The Future, The Boy Wonder, The King Of Old School! STEEEVVVEEEENNN CORRRRINNNOOOO!!!"

Corino came out to a huge pop, accompanied by, oddly -- Jack Victory, long time ally. Corino got right down to business.

Corino" So, here I am, 15 minutes before the plane comes to pick up, and I get a call!! A very special call! And THAT's what made me miss my flight! But, you see -- it's what I got out of that call that really mattered! And that call was from this man, Jack Victory! He reminded of the days, when I would do what I wanted to do! When I would go after who I wanted to do!"

Styles" What are you trying to say?"

Corino" What I'm trying to say, Styles...is that no-longer is The King Of Old School going to be buried in the shadows of the Horsemen! Years ago, it was fine. But, now, I'm a 3 time WWF Champion! It's time for The King Of Old School, to do things on his own -- the better way!! I'm all grown up, Styles!"

[*Some boo, others cheer*]

Styles" But why!? Ric Flair..he's you're mentor!"

Corino" And I thank Flair for those years of wisdom! Those years of advice! Those years of guidance! But remember, when I won that title last year, I did it alone! And Flair--I know you're not here tonight...but I really do thank you, for everything that you've done! Owen, Stinger,---"

Here, Carl P. Oulette's music hit, and he came down the isle, in his Quebecer suit once again, getting a strong heel reaction, as usual. He was joined, as always, by the Sting-face painted, Lance Storm.

Oulette [*Acknowledges 'Le Theif' chants*]" Everybody knows, Steve, that the real reason you're leaving the Horsemen...is because of me! That's right! Last night, in front of millions and millions of people, I defeated The Nature Boy Ric Flair -- Woooooooooooohahaha!!! [*Crowd booes*] You are embarrassed! Hahahaha!! You are embarrassed that the WWF's premiere athlethe Carl Pierre Oulette, sent Flair, your leader, your idol, packing!"

Corino" That's not true, Oulette! I--"

Oulette" It is true! But you are not the main reason why I came out here. [*Looks to Styles*] It's you that I want to speak to."

Styles was great here, in giving an expression of being cautiously intimidated.

Oulette" So, you want to be a wrestler, eh?"

Styles [*Stepping Back*]" Uh..uh..no, I don't want to become--"

Oulette (Shouting) " Then why do you not raise my hand, when I won the match against the Nature Puke Ric Flair, EH!? [*Crowd Booes*] Why do you stand in front of my path, when I'm about to crush Nature Puke's ribs with the Canadian Cannonball, EH?!?"

Styles" Now..hold on...I--I didn't mean to---"

Oulette" Let's face it, Styles! You are a biased announcer, eh!!! And you dare stand biased against, me, EHHH!!!!?"

Oulette was getting angrier and angrier by the second. Finally, he lunged at Styles, but Corino quickly leaped into action catching Oulette's right hand from nailing Styles. Styles, on reflexes, ducked out of the way, falling to the ground, yielding a big grasp from the fans. Oulette stood strong, staring directly into Corino's eyes, as his hand was being restraint, by the King Of Old School. Styles quickly scampered out of the ring, as officials hit the ring to break up Oulette and Corino. They cut to highlights of TBB's (I see they knocked off a 'B') PHAT TV debut, a couple weeks ago. 75%

Steve Corino lost overness from this segment.Carl P. Oulette lost overness from this segment.

The Brooklyn Badboys (Taz & Kama) d. Koko B. Ware & Butch Reed

Heenan did what he could to make it seem like Doom ED were still somewhat 'tough', but it wasn't too believable with the way Koko was working. Taz & Kama, however, were very impressive. Kama kept the crowd hot with his straight forward rough-and-tough streetfighting. Taz awed the crowd with his T-Bone Taz plexes, that only Jun Akiyama could emulate. Finals of the match, came after the Taz Plex at 8:02, on Reed.

Crowd: 68

Match: 49

Koko B. Ware didn't really sell very much, which hurt the match rating.

-ADVERTS-

- Ellering Splits The Can-Am Express -

Coming out of the break, Eric Bischoff and Heenan talked about Tenzan's defending the title against the Memphis Knight, at Arsenal x2. While merely touching on the identity of the Memphis Knight, the commentators focused on Tenzan's path to winning the Triple Crown. Of course, they used this to announce, the TAG TEAM C1 CLASH tournament. However, unlike the C1 CLASH, the Tag C1 CLASH, will be a, 12 team single round elimination tournament. The winners of the tournament will then be given a title shot against The Crimsons, or whoever is the Tag Team Champs, at Wrestlemania '98. Here's when Sean Mooney came down the isle, and introduced, Paul Ellering to the ring.

Paul Ellering, though his promos are so outdated, is still over (enough) with the fans. He began talking about having the meanest, leanest, wildest, fiercest, tag team in all of wrestling -- in Horace Hogan & The Renegade Warrior. Of course, the Warrior & Hogan chants began here. Bischoff snuck in, that the Warriors Of Doom would be facing Earthquake and The Super Destroyers, later tonight. Ellering, then said that he had added another great tag team under his belt, that would also be entering the Tag Clash. Of course, Bischoff had to remind us that Ellering brought the Legion Of Doom into wrestling, so anything else he does must be great, right? Anyway, to quite a suprise he introduced, The Can-Am Express, Doug Furnas & Phil Lafon, former WWF Tag Team Champions. Crowd popped a bit. Furnas looked as happy as ever. LaFon, however, didn't. All of a sudden after looking less than thrilled at his new allies, LaFon yanked the mic out of Mooney's hand. He paused for quite some time, just 'looking', at Furnas, Ellering, and The Warriors Of Doom, then said;

Lafon" I..don't believe this. This is what you were talking about, Doug? This is the 'great news'?"

Furnas" Yea! C'mon Phil! I got us a great deal. C'mon. This is Paul Ellering! [*Crowd cheers*] You know that Cowboy guy that you see all over the other promotion winning the title...Ellering brought him into wrestling! Ellering--"

Lafon" Yea--but these guys are...idiots."

[*Camera gets a shot of Hogan huffing and puffing, and Warrior gorilla pressing the air, for no apparent reason*]

Ellerings [*Waiving Newspaper*] " Hooooollllldddd on!! I'm not going to have anyone calling my team, idiots! [*To Furnas*] You'd better tell'em to shape up! Or Ship out!"

Lafon" What!? Listen to me, you--"

Furnas" Ok, c'mon guys. Let's talk about this in the back. I don't think we--"

Lafon" We don't have to talk about this. Lemme tell ya something Doug. We've been former WWF Tag Team Champions, before. THIS is not what we need to get them back! You're gonna have to make a decision. Are you with me...or are you with me...or are you with...the..er...Warriors Of...RE-TARD-DOOM!?"

With that, Lafon dropped the mic and walked out of the ring, as Furnas, WOD, and Ellering looked on, in disbelief. Of course, Mooney, never knows when to shut up.

Mooney" So what's it gonna be, Furnas? Are ya gonna stick with Lafon, your partner of many years -- or are you doing to start a new career path...under the guidance, of a proven effective manager -- Paul Ellering?"

Ellering" Do what you feel is right, Doug. You know where me and my Warriors will be."

The interview ended with Ellering patting Furnas on the back, then walking to the back with the Warriors Of Doom. Clearly, Ellering was to be the good guy, here. They cut to highlights of WWF Woman's matches along the last few months, with footage of Dustine Rhoades, the overweight Diana Polane, Lady SPEED, Catcus Girl, and Rusha--who made her debut at WWF Arsenal x2. They then hyped Bull Nakana vs. Groupee, who's gimmick is a rock and roll star...or a groupee, following the break. 64%

-ADVERTS-

- Bull Nakano; PRIDE'S Pick For Women's Champion -

Bull Nakano d. Groupee

Groupee came to the ring with a heavy metal guitar, and played some guitar riffs for the fans. Nakano quickly ended that with a lariat to the back of Groupee's neck sending her face first into the mat. Nakano, then dragged the 100 pounder by her hair, and smashed her with a powerful falling bowerbomb, for the victory. Immediatley following her impressive win, James E. Cornette, led WWF Triple Crown Champion Hiroyoshi Tenzan, and the rest of PRIDE to the ring...

Overall: 52

Crowd: 44

Match: 60

Groupie lost overness from this match. Bull Nakano gained overness from this match.

Cornette, Tenzan, Ace, Hayabusa, Akiyama, & Barton all stood tall, with Bull Nakano as the crowd started up with those 'USA' chants. Cornette, waited for a while, then, grabbed a mic from Pedicino, tennis raquette in hand.

Cornette" So the boy wonder Steve Corino didn't even show up to his match at Arsenal, and Tenzan, being the world reknowed athlethe that he is, was able to defend his title, completely unexpected, against, Jerry 'The King' Lawler [*Crowd cheers*] Yea, that's right! I know it's you, Lawler under that Memphis Knight mask! But, you see, I'm not here to talk about that! I'm here to talk about the newest addition to PRIDE that will have us dominate the women's division, just as we do the singles men division! I give you, your next woman's champion, Bull Nakano!! "

With that, all of PRIDE raised their hands up, getting a strong heel reaction. Nakano's impressive win really got her over alot with the fans. Now, with PRIDE, she had just the people around her, to make this trip to the US, worth her stay. All of PRIDE left the ring, except for Hayabusa -- his match with Al Snow, was next. 64%

James E. Cornette lost overness from this segment. Bull Nakano gained overness from this segment.

- The Memphis Knight Strikes! -

Al Snow d. Hayabusa

Definately one of the better RAW matchs in a while. Match went to one advert break, after Snow landed an overhead body-to-body on Hayabusa sending him crashing upsidedown, into the turnbuckle. Finals of the match came at 12:47, when The Memphis Knight appeared out of the stands. He punched out Cornette, at ringside then hopped back into the stands. Hayabusa, who was looking on, turned around into the Snow Plow, which was followed by the eruption of 'Let It Snow' chants. The question by Bischoff after this match was;

" Who is that man!?"

Overall: 82

Crowd: 77

Match: 87

- Furnas Makes His Choice -

The Warriors Of Doom (Horace Hogan & The Renegade Warrior)d. The Super Destroyers & Earthquake

The match, while filled with a few 'Warrior' & 'Hogan' chants, was mainly used as a backdrop, so that Eric Bischoff could announce the WWF Woman's C1 Tournament for the WWF woman's title. Listening to Bischoff plea for viewers was classic;

"This is not a time to miss WWF action! We'll, soon, have two major tournaments going on at the same time! The Tag Team C1 CLASH, where the winner gets a shot at the Crimson Twins at Wrestlemania '98; and The WWF Women's Title Tournament, to crowd the first Women's Champion, since the 1980's! That final, will also take place at Wrestlemania '98! Don't miss WWF action folks! It's the road to Wrestlemania '98!!"

At 7:55 Hogan and Renegade both gave powerslams to the Superdestroyers, showing off their strength. Warrior gave Earthquake a shoulder block, sending him through the ropes, while Hogan nailed Super Destroyer #1 with the Mighty Hogan Legdrop, for the victory. After the match, Doug Furnas came out, and extended his hands of acceptance to Paul Ellering. It looks like the WWF's going singles for Furnas & Lafon.

Overall: 49

Crowd: 50

Match: 49

-ADVERTS-

- 'The Body Shop'; Phil LaFon chooses his path -

user posted image

They debuted a new segment here, as out of no where, out came to some ring music, Jesse 'The Body' Ventura. Ventura, who came out to a nice pop, said that 1998 is the year of the Body. Jesse, it's March, already. Ventura started going on about how, if Joey Styles got his own segment on PHAT TV, then he can get his own segment on Monday Night RAW. The crowd actually popped for the WWF mainstay heel commentator. The Body Shop's set was basically like the older Barber Shop, or Piper's Pit, sets. Ventura's first guest was Highlight Kid Shawn Waltman. Ventura made a comment about how we haven't seen much of the Highlight Kid, recently. Waltman said that he's been doing some extra conditioning for his big Wrestlemania match against Tenzan. At this point, Phil LaFon wandered onto the set of The Body Shop.

Bischoff" What could he possibly want!?"

LaFon" A little while ago, my partner--well, former partner--Doug Furnas came out here...and decided that he was going to wrestle for the rest of his career, for the entertainment of these people! HE's going to swallow his dignity just to become a circus act, like those Warriors Of RE-TARD-DOOM! But I, am going to do a service FOR the fans! And that's why I came out her, Mr. Waltman. Cos' you see, I know that all of these fans are dying to know who the Memphis Knight is! And, last night at Arsenal, YOU saved him. Tonight, YOU'RE teaming with him. YOU must know who he is!"

Waltman" Now, hold on..."

Ventura" I actually agree with him! I think that all of these fans would want to know that! Right everyone!? [*Crowd booes*] See? So, tell us, Waltman; who is the Memphis Knight?"

Waltman" Hey listen, LaFon..Jesse. I don't know who The Memphis Knight is. Last night, I did what I did, because I saw a man being attacked, being ganged up on. And I didn't like it. And, if I don't like something, I'm going to do something about it. I don't care if it's WWF Officials, WWF Security, or the WWF Triple Crown Champion, himself, Hiroyoshi Tenzan. Tenzan, I'll see YOU at Wrestlemania, in Houston!"

[*Waltman went to leave the set, but LaFon grabbed his arm*]

LaFon" Whooaaaaaaaa! I don't think you understand. I'm demanding to know who the Memphis Knight is."

Waltman" Hey! [*Breaks away from Lafon*] Get off of me? Why do you care so much?"

LaFon" It's not me, who's asking."

With those words, road agent Mike "IRS" Rotunda came out and attacked Waltman from behind. Dressed in his IRS gear, Rotunda, gave the hard shoe shots to the head of Waltman screaming, "Who is it!? Who is it?! It's Lawler, isn't it!" Suddenly Lanny Poffo, joined with Bill Alfonso, Rusha & The Crimson Twins, joined Rotunda on the set. This made it clear that this was a set up, devised by Phil LaFon and Lanny Poffo, fresh off of his tough break up with Furnas. 63%

Shawn Waltman lost overness from this segment. Phil LaFon's turn was completed, and he is now a heel. Phil LaFon gained overness from this turn.

- Poffo issues the Warning -

Somehow Ventura managed to keep a hold of his mic, and put it up to Poffo as he spoke directly in the face of Waltman. Waltman was being held up by The Crimson Twins.

Poffo" Now, you listen to me, you greasy waste of life! Your friend, The Memphis Knight, has already caused trouble, here tonight, attacking Jim Cornette! Now, if that is indeed, Lawler, do you know how much trouble that can place you in! As you know, I was the Presidential Assistant to President Ted Dibiase, and to have him impeached, is just ludicrous! Jack Tunney will pay, but while there is no President, I will not sit back, and let filthy swines like you and that interim President, Joke Tunney, spit in the face of authority! [*Crowd booes, and starts chanting 'Geninus Sux'*] How dare he spit in the face of President Ted Dibiase's authority! Until Wrestlemania--until a new President is named, as Presidential Assistant - Waltman, I will make you, and your buddy, Memphis Knight, as miserable, as ever! And tonight, the Crimsons will be sure to rip that mask right outta Lawler's hair!" [*Crimsons take out mics out pocket*]

Tomax" It'll be..."

Tomax & Xamot" ...our pleasure, Mr. Poffo."

With that, Poffo, the whistle blowing Alfonso, and The Crimson's and Rusha, made their way off of the 'Body Shop' set and too the back leaving Waltman hurt and disheveled. 81%

Lanny Poffo debuted his new gimmick.

-ADVERTS-

- Brian Christopher Blames Sting -

"Mr. Everything" Andrew Martin w/ Francine d. Sting

Mr. Everything's resemblence to Hulk Hogan, in the 70's is almost scary. He had a new shirt that read, "I am Everything! And you are nothing!" Everything slugged it out with Sting, but Sting dominated much of the match. Christopher came out 5 minutes into the match, and joined Bischoff and Heenan on commentary. He was out there to run down Sting. He blamed Sting for changing his long-time friend Brian Lee. He said that after he defeated Lee, last night, he saw a Lee that he's never seen before. He was basically telling us that we won't see Lee for a while, and he was blaming Sting. Midway into the match Sting noticed Christopher pointing in his direction, and started jawwing back and forth, with Christopher, long distance. Out of nowhere, Martin snuck up from behind of Sting, rolled him up, hooked the tights, and pulled the upset. Martin went crazy, with celebrating with Francine. Sting couldn't believe it, and chased after Christopher to the back.

Overall: 83

Crowd: 87

Match: 77

Mr. Everything gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- The Memphis Knight Gains More Followers -

Shawn Waltman & The Memphis Knight d. The Crimson Twins via DQ

This was announced as a non-title match, but Rusha came out with the titles, anyway. Both Poffo, LaFon, and Alfonso were at ringside for this one. As soon as Knight was tagged in, Tomax caught him with a legsweep, getting him down. Out of no where, Cornette ran out in front of the curtain, and waived Johnny Ace to the ring. Referee, Billy Silvermann called for the bell right away, at 5:11, as soon as Ace joined The Crimsons in attacking the Knight. Waltman hopped in, to even up the odds a bit better. As this rumble was going on, Cornette led WWF Triple Crown holder Hiroyoshi Tenzan, down to the ring. Tenzan, as usual, was wearing a funky looking suit.

Upon entry, Tenzan grabbed Waltman away from the melee, giving him a somoan drop. He continued to kick at Waltman, while Ace shouted and attacked The Memphis Knight with the Crimsons. Mike Rotunda, along with Jack Lanza, hit the ring once again, and tried wrestling the mask off of the Memphis Knight, but to no avail. The fans even started those "Iwrin" chants, here. The crowd continue to boo until, Interim President Jack Tunney emerged out of the curtain, yelling for them (w/o a mic) to leave the Knight alone. After they wouldn't listen, Tunney returned to the back, and returned with Curt Hennig, charging the ring to a mighty pop. Hennig, first dropkicked both Crimsons out of the ring. He then gave a hip toss to Ace, sending him out of the ring, and followed up by starting head to head with Tenzan. Tenzan simply backed up, never taking his eyes off of Perfect.

RAW went off the air with PRIDE/Poffo retreating to the back as Jack Tunney, Curt Hennig, & Sean Waltman attended to the Memphis Knight. Poffo was heard, last yelling; "I used to Manage you! Stay out of our way!", to Perfect.

Overall: 74

Commentary Aftermath

Bischoff" Wow! If it wasn't for Jack Tunney and Curt Hennig, the Memphis Knight would've been unmasked!"

Heenan" Don't you know what this is!? This is like having a Democratic President, and a Republican Vice President!"

Bischoff" Well, it looks like Lanny Poffo, and certain members of PRIDE, will stop at nothing to find out who the Memphis Knight is!"

Heenan" Why is Waltman and Tunney protecting him! If Waltman wants to win that WWF Triple Crown Title, he'd better concentrate on that, and not on protecting Lawler--er--i mean The Knight!!"

Bischoff" Seeya next week, everybody! The WWF Women's Tournament, and Tag C1 Clash begin, but up next, it's PHAT TV!!"

Card Quality: 65%

Rating: 6.05

PHAT TV Preview!

[*]Phil LaFon w/ Lanny Poffo vs. 'Mr. Perfect' Curt Hennig

[*] Sabu & Barry Horowtiz vs. Brutus Beefcake & The Sandman

[*]The Debut Of RUSHA!!!

Rusha vs. Noji Akuto

[*]A Special Interview w/ THE MEMPHIS KNIGHT!

Will he reveal his identity?

[*]Don Frye vs. D'lo Brown, of the Ebony Experience

AND MUCH MUCH MORE!