PS2 Problems

Agent Risktaker

Okay, so I got my PS2 two years ago and it looks fine, except with my NCAA Football 05. I got the game during Hurricane Ivan and brought it back with me and it worked fine for about a week. Now, however, it will only go to the logo of Playstation 2 and then go to a black screen and start making clicking sounds. But all my other games work.

What's the problem?

the clicking sound are either

a. your laser is damaged and is getting to close to the disc

b. the arm or bar that holds the laser is damaged

I'm currently havig the same problem with my 4 month old ps2 thans to gta: sna andreas. all my other games will play fine.

either contact sony and tell them your having a dis read error and for around 10-20 dollars they'll ship you a new ps2 once they recive your old one.

or you could look online and find a do it yourself faq on how to clean and fix the laser

or youc an find a company online that will fix the ps2 for $50

http://www.game-medic.com/ -- i'll probably be contactign them soon about my ps2

Will sony fix the problem if the warranty has already expired (just wondering because i am also having problems with my ps2)

Most likely, but it'll cost you.

No, it won't. Last year my PS2 started with the infamous Disc Read Error problem. I called them up and answered a bunch of questions, they told me to ship out my PS2. Shipping was rough, about $30, but they sent me back a totally refurbished PS2 with a brand new controller (I never sent a controller in) so it pretty much balanced itself out.

From what I've read it costs about £60-80 in shipping and repair. what the fuck is the point in a warranty otherwise?

They didn't charge me anything in repairs, just shipping. It's probably because they have that pending class-action lawsuit against them regarding disc read errors.

Just yesterday the stupid thing started making clicking sounds randomly when playing just GTA. I hate it. It's like it is loading, I guess, as I pause it and the screen remains black for a few seconds until loading the pause screen. The sound goes away, and I begin to play. Moments later random clicking sounds will appear and then go away, and repeat for a while. It'll stop, but then starts again.

Also, I noticed that the things on the screen like trees, building, and grass don't load until you are just past it, making it hard to see where you are even going, eventually running right into a building.

What is the exact cleaning kit you got, HolokastTheIkon?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bluesman

I'd try vacuuming out the vents, that always seems to help me. A friend of mine was having problems with his so they took it apart and found a bunch of junk on something (I can't remember exactly what, I'll ask), cleaned it up, and now it works good as new.

Guest Bluesman

It's quite possible. For awhile I only had problems with ESPN B-Ball. Then Live '05 wouldn't work, and while San Andreas would, it would could out and show a black screen that says "Cannot Read Disc" or something like that.

Even know I'll get a disc error or two with ESPN before it works, while my fiancee was able to play Jax and Dexter without any problems, and San Andreas worked without any problems.

Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I don't actually have a disc read error problem. Instead, the disc is actually read when I put it in -- the golden CD comes up for me to mash X to start it. But here's here the problem lays: it'll go to the black screen with Playstation 2 and then it cuts to a plain black screen and about ten seconds later, begins clicking.

Anyone know if this is the same thing, different, or what?

Guest Bluesman

Hmm...I know my friend said his problems playing games including some noise. I'll ask him when he gets out of his night class...

EDIT-That's what my friend had happen to his. What he did was take the main cover off (on the bottom, there are small screws under the black pads), and then take another cover off where the games go. There was the disc reading lens and two silver tracks, one of which had a bunch of "gunk" on it. They cleaned that stuff off, put it back together, and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Oh yea, he said that you'll need a really small screwdriver.

Edited by Bluesman

I've been having the clicking for a few months now and getting worse.

Sometimes I need to flick the machine on a few times to get away from all the Disc Read problems.

Some DVDs don't work on there anymore (like my Spaced series 1 and 2 grrr) and some games are better than others. If I've not played a game on there before or it's been a while since I played it, it takes a few goes to get it working but then it's fine until I put it aside for a couple of weeks. At the moment Star Wars: Battleground, GTA: San Andreas and Pro Evo 4 are all okay though Battleground was a bitch to get working when I got it...

EDIT: Oh and don't bother with the £80 mending...You can get a new slim line PS2 with modem (I believe) for £99....

I've had mine for over 3 years now (spent the first year foolishly with it on it's side - idiot) and need a new one I think...I want to have no problems again.

It seemed to get worse after a period of taking it round people's houses. It loves to just sit there and be loved.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Did as you said Bluesman and found some grit on one of the tracks so I cleaned it. Unfortuneatly, I already sent the game off along with $15 and a note about the problem so according to EA's warranty, I should be getting a new copy in about 3-4 weeks.

Look for a NCAA '05 diary soon. :D