Houllier leaves Liverpool

pigeon

While GH was with the club we won six titles. I think that is very good.

I meant much as in the League, not as in random Cup competitions because unless its the Championship League Cup Competition it really doesn't matter all that much in football nowadays

Here's a pretty good article from The Independent, which sums up the reasons for Houllier's dismissal:

James Lawton: Reality bites as Houllier bids farewell to Anfield

25 May 2004

Gerard Houllier, like his countrywoman Edith Piaf, had no regrets yesterday when he was removed from the Liverpool challenge that he insisted ran way beyond the healing powers of a "quick fix". The trouble was that six years in the life of Liverpool Football Club, with ever declining evidence that you have what it takes to be at least in contention as one of the best teams in England, were not some brief, jarring interlude. It had begun to look like the end of life as it had always been known at Anfield, and to suggest otherwise was pure Houllier.

He has many admirable qualities, and not least physical courage, but a willingness to face up to the realities of failure is not one of them. Indeed, there have been times over the last few years when as a spin artist he might have forced even Alastair Campbell to bend the knee.

The problem with spin, as Abraham Lincoln pointed out all those years ago when he said that you can't fool all of the people all of the time, is that it can take you only so far. This is particularly true of football. Once a week, sometimes twice, you are obliged to send out your team to show what you have got them to do. On far too many occasions it was embarrassingly clear that the answer was not very much at all beyond developing a herd instinct to get behind the ball.

There are some places where you can get away with talking endlessly about the potential of your team. Liverpool is not one of them, and when Houllier talked of winning six titles in six years that old Lincoln principle kicked in with some force.

What Houllier's Liverpool won was four trophies - and two knick-knacks, the Charity Shield and the Super Cup. You might get away with such blurring of the facts in some football outpost, where winning is not claiming your due but something close to fantasy.

From Bill Shankly taking over Anfield at the start of the Sixties until Houllier's reign, Liverpool won the old First Division title 13 times and the European Cup four times. This wasn't a run of success, it was a right of conquest - and the brilliant adherence to a winning tradition which was built unerringly on certain basic principles.

The most fundamental of these was the signing of good players who were introduced into a system of play that was unwavering in its belief in the importance of form and shape and a capacity to attack with the ball. When Shankly's successor, Bob Paisley, signed Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness he didn't oblige them to treat the ball as though it was a hand grenade with the pin removed. They were asked to do what they did best: use it with craft and imagination.

Souness had a deserved reputation as one of the ultimate hardmen ball-winners, but in possession he was equally effective. Dalglish and Souness, among other things, were masters of subtle movement. Asking them to scamper behind the ball at every opportunity would have been like handing Picasso a paint-by-numbers set.

Yesterday even Houllier was obliged to face the fact that the patience of the club and the city had run out when his close friend and the Liverpool chairman, David Moores, finally acknowledged that this was a Liverpool team, for all the bravura form of Steve Gerrard and the scoring talent of Michael Owen, that was plainly going nowhere.

Some Houllier apologists have asked why Liverpool have some divine right to a place at the top of the mountain. Other football empires have passed. Across the park at Goodison, Everton are a shell of the old force. Tottenham have made a parody of the old fighting cock worn on the shirts of such titans as Dave Mackay, John White, Danny Blanchflower and Cliff Jones. European Cup-winners Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa have had many lean days. Leeds United have defined how not to run a top club. So what is so cataclysmic about Liverpool spending a few years in the shadows? The special problem is that Liverpool are a football club who have continued to do more or less everything right.

It's true they had the aberration of appointing joint managers when Houllier and Roy Evans were put in charge of the team, but the absurdity of the move was noted and acted upon within a few months. Either side of that folly, Liverpool have been demonstrably Liverpool, supporting their manager - Houllier's is the first sacking since Don Welsh fell in 1956 - and ploughing money into the team at regular intervals.

More money than, for example, Arsenal in some recent years, which brings us to the nub of the issue. Houllier wasn't sacked for a failure to fulfil some crazed desire for overnight success. What he didn't deliver, unlike his countryman Arsène Wenger, was a clear sense of a developing team. It was not so much that Liverpool didn't get better. They got worse. Fans, especially those at Anfield, are not always idiots raging down a phone-in line. Houllier lost the fans, beyond a few flurries of sentiment, some time ago.

It happened for the most basic reason of all. It was because of the way his team played. He did some excellent work, especially in the early going. He imposed genuine discipline and competitive pride. He reminded the dressing room of what had gone before. He even won three trophies in one season, but some - including quite a number of the players who in their time had been cornerstones of the old empire - refused to be swept away. Liverpool had played hard and with some good fortune but they had not unveiled a way to play football that might just take them back to the top of the English game.

That was always the ultimate test of Gérard Houllier. The harsh but unavoidable truth is that he failed it. However, the new man will be required to sit the same exam and that it is essentially a fair one was confirmed recently by one of Europe's hottest coaches, Jose Mourinho, who made it clear that in many ways he was more tempted by the standards of decency at Liverpool than by the vast but crudely applied wealth of Chelsea.

Mourinho has every chance of winning the European Cup for Porto tomorrow night. Who knows, he might just consider Liverpool a suitable case for his attention. With six years and a big budget to play with, he might see it as rather more than an invitation to work a quick fix.

Personally, I want Thompson for Manager, he proved he can work well with the team after that spell when Houllier was in hospital. If I remeber he won almost every game he was in charge then. He knows the team better than anyone, and I know he could make some good signings.

In that spell he used the exact same tactics as Houllier, and though he did well at first, after he won manager of the month, they went on a long run without winning, which took us right out of the title race.

As Rick Parry said, we need someone with a track record.

Personally, I'd love to see someone like Alan Curbishly or Sam Allardyce as manager. They've worked wonders on small budgets at 'smaller' clubs, I'd be interested what they'd be able to do on a pretty hefty budget.

As for Houllier, he's a good manager - until you give him money. Sure, he may have brought guys like Hyypia in, but for every Hyypia there was a Biscan.

I'd prefer a Hitzfeld or Capello, someone who has won top honours.

Or of course Mourinho or Benitez.  I'd even take O'Neill over any of the English managers.

I hate that attitude. 'If they haven't won top honours then they're not good (enough) managers'. I very much doubt any of those managers could've done any better at Bolton or Charlton than Curbs or Allardyce have.

Edited by Agent_Sm1th

Valencia determined to keep Benitez

Valencia president Jaime Orti has issued a hands-off warning to Liverpool following reports linking coach Rafael Benitez with a move to Anfield in the wake of Gerard Houllier's departure.

benitez_tm.jpg

Rafa Benitez: Led Valencia to Liga and UEFA Cup glory this season (TonyMarshall/Empics)

'Benitez has one more year left on his contract with Valencia and our intention is to extend our relationship with him even further,' Orti said to PA International.

'He will coach Valencia next season. I don't think these rumours have any substance.'

The 44-year-old Benitez, a former Real Madrid youth team boss, is the most successful coach in Valencia's 85-year history.

He led the club to the Primera Liga title for the second time in three years this season, and last week steered them to UEFA Cup glory.

Before Benitez, the Mediterranean club had not won the Spanish title since 1971.

Valencia can capture even more trophies as they still have to face Real Zaragoza in the Spanish Supercup, and then the Champions League winners in the European Supercup

Source

Charlton chairman Richard Murray insists he is not overly worried about the speculation surrounding the future of Alan Curbishley because he has heard it all before.

1190093.jpg

Curbishley: subject of speculation

The Addicks boss is amongst the favourites to succeed Gerard Houllier as Liverpool manager after 13 years at The Valley.

Curbishley has been linked with a host of other jobs during his time with Charlton, with Tottenham reported to be another club interested in securing his services.

However, Murray - like chief executive Peter Varney on Monday - has come out to play down fears that Curbishley will walk away from The South Londoners, pointing to the fact he has just signed a new long-term contract.

"I don't know where this talk comes from but it happens every time there is a managerial vacancy," Murray declared.

"It's nothing new and I am quite cool about it.

"I've been here 13 years and Alan's been linked to many clubs.

"I remember when it was Norwich and QPR.

"I know (Liverpool chief executive) Rick Parry well and I haven't had a call from him.

"I know nothing about any interest from Liverpool.

"Alan has just signed a new deal, he has more money to spend in the summer and he has led the club to our highest league finish.

"All I can do is get him on a new deal and on much better money.

"Do I have a contingency plan? If your manager has just signed a three-year contract, do you then look to put a contingency plan in place."

Source

Personally, I think Alan Curbishley is the most likely candidate.

Benitez looks like he's the man ...

Benitez admits Liverpool interest

Yesterday he denied it, but today Rafael Benitez is very keen on a move to Anfield

Press Association

Thursday May 27, 2004

Rafael Benitez has admitted that Liverpool have been in touch with his agent over the managerial vacancy at Anfield - and signalled his desire to succeed Gerard Houllier.  The Valencia coach, who is one of the names in the frame to succeed Houllier, yesterday moved to play down speculation linking him with Liverpool.

But Benitez, who has won the league title and the Uefa Cup this season, has admitted that Liverpool would be a great club to coach.

"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage," Benitez is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

"I have been at Anfield several times as a rival coach and the atmosphere is wonderful. They have spoken to my agent Manuel Garcia Quilun to find out more about my situation."

And in what could be appears to be a U-turn on yesterday's statement, Benitez added: "I am happy in Valencia and I would only leave the club for a great European side and Liverpool are one of those."

Source: football.guardian.co.uk

...quoted as saying in the Daily Star...

That sentence alone should shoot the whole Benitez to Liverpool rumour down in a pile of burning wreckage, but I do think he will be the next Liverpool manager, but Liverpool still need work before they come close to Arsenal. And before anyone calls me a bitter blue nose, I have many Kopite friends who agree.

That sentence alone should shoot the whole Benitez to Liverpool rumour down in a pile of burning wreckage, but I do think he will be the next Liverpool manager, but Liverpool still need work before they come close to Arsenal.  And before anyone calls me a bitter blue nose, I have many Kopite friends who agree.

Yeah, I'd go along with that. Even Steven Gerrard has said that new signings are just as important as the new boss.

Although there is a rumour that Benitez would try and bring Aimar, Baraja and Ayala with him. That would be amazing!

Talks between Valencia and manager Rafael Benitez over a new deal will continue as the two parties have failed to reach an agreement, as rumours persist that he will walk away to join Liverpool.

The Anfield giants want Benitez to replace Gerard Houllier, but the Spanish champions are desperate to keep the man who has led them to two Primera Liga titles in three years.

Che chief Manuel Llorente has been speaking to Benitez regularly, while he has met the coach's agent Manuel Garcia Quilon to discuss a new contract.

They have offered Benitez a new two-year deal with more control over what happens at the club, but it is the lack of financial resources that Benitez is unhappy about.

Quilon says that he has met with Valencia chiefs, but nothing has been agreed and talks will continue.

"He had several conversations with Llorente and we have already spoken in person, but as yet there is nothing," said Quilon.

"They have told me what they want, but we have neither advanced nor have we backed down.

"For that reason, we will continue speaking."

The Reds seem determined to land Benitez, who has a proven track record in Spain, and the Merseyside outfit will be able to offer him the funds to build a side capable of challenging for The Premiership title

Source

I think Valencia has a hell of a fight on their hands in order to retain Benitez.

Benitez quits Valencia

Bookies close the book on Liverpool manager's job

Staff and agencies

Tuesday June 1, 2004

ben.jpg

Most wanted: Rafael Benitez.

Rafael Benitez has moved closer to the Liverpool manager's job after quitting as coach of Valencia today.  Benitez was offered a two-year extension to his contract at Valencia - which had one year left to run - but rejected that and tendered his resignation.

"I can confirm that Rafael Benitez will not continue at Valencia after the club and the coach agreed to part ways," a spokesman said.

The decision comes as little surprise: Benitez has been strongly linked with the Liverpool job since the club parted company with Gerard Houllier, and has been unhappy with the lack of responsibility he has been given at Valencia.

Many bookmakers have now closed the book on Benitez becoming the new Liverpool manager.

The Spaniard led Valencia to their second Primera Liga title in three years this season, and also steered them to the Uefa Cup crown.

However, last week he was quoted as saying: "Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage.

"I have been at Anfield several times as a rival coach and the atmosphere is wonderful. They have spoken to my agent Manuel Garcia Quilun to find out more about my situation."

It now appears to be a matter of time before he is unveiled as the new Liverpool manager.

source: football.guardian.co.uk

Edited by pigeon

• 3 weeks later...

Good move by Liverpool, but rumour has it (well, Mick Quinn on talkSPORT) that Stevie G isn't happy with Benitez's appointment, and is looking to move to Chelsea. Apparantly, Moores asked Gerrard if he would join Chelsea should they make an offer and have it accepted, and Gerrard said yes. Can't see it myself, but stranger things have happened.