MLB Offeason Thread

sahyder1

Boy have the Mets made a splash. Reports out of NY and Boston indicate that Pedro has signed a year deal with the Mets for $58 Million. Yeah, they might've made a mistake giving him the 4th year but the Mets needed to make a big move. This will help go along way for the Wilpons who are trying to get their own TV Network started. The Mets rotation is looking pretty good for next year if this deal actually is signed.

I wonder if Boston makes a last ditch effort to get Pavano now. They're rumoured to be intersted in Burnett and Hudson. Do they jump in to the Beltran and Delgado hunt? Wouldn't surprise me.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see where the Manny for Floyd/Matsui trade helps the Red Sox. Not only do you lose a huge bat in your lineup but you get worse defensively. I never thought losing Manny Ramirez would hurt a team's defense but this trade would, Matsui is dreadful. It is purely a money move but I believe they could ask for more than a hurt outfielder and a marginal SS/2B for the World Series MVP.

The Floyd-Manny trade is all but dead due to the Mets not wanting to pick up Manny's Contract. Floyd is now rumored to go to either Cincinati or Tampa from what I've been told. Kaz will be traded, possibly to the Angels, allowing for the Mets to hopefully sign Cabera. They're also interested in Odalis Perez but the Pedro deal will proably end that one. I'm so excited the Metros compeleted this one, hopefully we'll be third...it can happen.

Matt Clement has all but signed with the Angels, prob by the end of the night.

Also the Burnett-Vasquez deal won't happen, Vasquez will stay for when the Johnson trade is made and Burnett may end up in Detroit.

It seems the Mets are trying to make it up to their fans after not getting A-Rod in 2001 and Vlad Guerrero last off-season. All Mets fans do on WFAN is complain, and they have a right too but it will be a nice change of pace to hear some positive things said on that radio station about the Metropolitans if they can bring in a slew of big names to help their club.

I don't see where the Manny for Floyd/Matsui trade helps the Red Sox.  Not only do you lose a huge bat in your lineup but you get worse defensively.  I never thought losing Manny Ramirez would hurt a team's defense but this trade would, Matsui is dreadful.  It is purely a money move but I believe they could ask for more than a hurt outfielder and a marginal SS/2B for the World Series MVP.

Guest Bluesman

Can someone say Carlos Beltran? Slide Damon over to LF and you still have a very dangerous lineup and one that's versatile. If they don't go after Beltran they have other options. Delgado would be a nice fit for them. Heck, even Magglio.

Can someone say Carlos Beltran? Slide Damon over to LF and you still have a very dangerous lineup and one that's versatile. If they don't go after Beltran they have other options. Delgado would be a nice fit for them. Heck, even Magglio.

If they are able to add someone like Beltran with the cash, it'd definately be a great deal for the Sox. Otherwise I don't see how it helps them. Speaking of not helping, how about signing Pedro :lol:

Monday, December 13, 2004

ESPN.com news services

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Pedro Martinez closed in on a four-year deal with the New York Mets, and the Boston Red Sox resigned themselves Monday to losing the three-time Cy Young Award winner.

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

GM  W  L  Sv  K  ERA

33  16  9  0  227  3.90

"He was a great member of the Red Sox team for seven years, and a certain Hall of Famer," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "He will be missed, and we are disappointed to have lost him to the Mets and the National League."

Martinez's agent, Fernando Cuza, told the Mets he will attempt to work out a deal with them after New York guaranteed a fourth year, a person involved in the talks said on condition of anonymity.

"Nothing has happened yet," Martinez said from the Dominican Republic on Monday night.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya expressed confidence about the negotiations with Martinez but wouldn't detail the discussions.

"The good news is that we're still in dialogue," Minaya said. "Every day that goes by and we are having dialogue is a good day."

Minaya then left baseball's winter meetings and returned to New York, and the sides will work by telephone to finalize the contract language. The remaining issues are believed to revolve around perks the Red Sox had included in their offer, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

New York initially offered a $37.5 million, three-year contract with a $12.5 million team option for 2008.

Boston's final proposal was a $40.5 million, three-year deal that contained a club option for 2008, a baseball official said, also on condition of anonymity. The Red Sox thought the Mets' offer was for $56 million over four years, the official said, but a Mets official said that figure was not correct.

An agent who spoke with the Mets said New York's proposal was worth about $52 million.

"We put our best foot forward and made an offer that makes sense to the club," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. "We think it's a fair and generous offer."

Martinez, 33, must pass a physical before the Mets complete the deal.

ESPN's Steve Phillips is reporting that one of the items under discussion between the Mets and Martinez's representatives is what specifically will be allowable in the right-hander's physical.

One item being discussed is whether Martinez would be allowed to skip any potential MRI exam as part of the physical and instead merely take a strength test on his arm and shoulder. Martinez has a history of arm injuries. As far back as 1999, Martinez was placed on the DL with right shoulder injuries; in 2001, Martinez feuded with Red Sox management as he claimed to have a slight tear in his right rotator cuff.

What is not yet known is whether the Mets have agreed to this stipulation.

Cuza did not want to comment on the talks.

"You are always asking the same thing, but I should tell you that when I sign, I will let you know all the details," Martinez told reporters Monday afternoon in the Dominican Republic, according to ESPN Deportes' Web site. "Not even I know about all this. People think that I know everything, but that is not true. You guys will be the first to know."

Martinez helped pitch Boston to its first World Series title since 1918, but Epstein said he refused to increase the team's offer in the past two days.

"We wish Pedro nothing but the best going forward both on the field and off the field," Boston owner John Henry said in an e-mail. "He pitched with every ounce of his being for the Red Sox over the course of 216 games. Some of those performances were among the most memorable in Red Sox history. Who will ever forget the 1999 All-Star Game? He has earned everything that he has accomplished, including his World Series ring and his reputation as one of the greatest who ever lived."

Landing Martinez would be the splashiest move made by the Mets since Minaya became general manager in late September. A six-time All-Star with Montreal and the Red Sox, Martinez has a 182-76 record and 2.71 ERA in a 13-year major-league career that began with Los Angeles in 1992. Minaya, who is also Dominican, visited Martinez in his homeland last month.

Martinez would join a Mets rotation that includes two-time Cy Young winner Tom Glavine, Kris Benson, Steve Trachsel and Victor Zambrano.

Glavine was surprised Martinez would leave a World Series winner but was happy with the decision.

"The more quality guys you have in your rotation, the more everybody feeds off everybody else," Glavine said. "All those years in Atlanta, you always had the pressure to keep up with everybody, but you knew if you had a bad game, you had the luxury of knowing somebody behind you would have a good game."

The Mets have slumped badly since losing to the Yankees in the 2000 World Series, finishing last in the NL East in 2002 and 2003 and then going 71-91 last season for their third straight losing record.

"We certainly can be in contention if all five guys in the rotation stay healthy and pitch up to their capability," Glavine said. "We'll be in position where every night we have a quality guy starting."

Minaya is also trying to add a position player, and there have been talks to acquire Sammy Sosa from the Chicago Cubs, possibly for Cliff Floyd.

"It certainly would be nice if we can add a bat or two," Glavine said.

Martinez's time in Boston was electrifying from the start, as he piled up the Cy Youngs and strikeouts and brought a Latin beat to Fenway Park. But he was also temperamental, complaining about contract negotiations and slights from a few fans among the thousands of admirers.

His departure leaves the Red Sox to defend their title with a rotation that currently includes Curt Schilling, David Wells, Tim Wakefield and Bronson Arroyo.

Derek Lowe, who became the first pitcher to win three postseason clinchers in one year, became a free agent.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Edited by sahyder1

Pedro has declared his intent to sign with the Mets for a four year contract pricing out at about $52 million. The Mets are also making a last ditch to sign Carlos Delgado, who along with Richie Sexson have been throughly pursued by the Seattle Mariners.

The Randy Johnson trade wheel has begun to spin again. The Yankees have once again resumed talks with the Arizona Diamondbacks about trading for Johnson. It seems this time around the talks will be more serious yet Arizona seems to want the same trade package as before.

Expos' Move to Washington Could Come Apart Over Ballpark Financing

Dec 15, 9:54 AM (ET)  Email this Story

By BRETT ZONGKER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Baseball fans in the nation's capital might not have long to cheer their new team.

The District of Columbia Council voted 7-6 Tuesday night to approve legislation that would finance construction of a ballpark. But it contained a provision that could cause the baseball commissioner's office to reopen the search for a long-term home for the Expos franchise, which has been tentatively renamed the Nationals.

The legislation was amended to require private financing for at least half the stadium construction costs, a provision not contained in the September agreement between baseball and Washington Mayor Anthony A. Williams.

"We will review the amendments and the legislation as passed and have a response (Wednesday)," said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer.

One response came almost immediately: The team postponed a news conference scheduled for Wednesday to unveil its new uniforms. No explanation was given.

"I am not trying to kill the deal," said council chair Linda W. Cropp, who introduced the private financing measure. "I'm putting some teeth in it because I'm really disappointed with what I got from Major League Baseball."

The amendment passed on a 10-3 vote after Cropp threatened to withhold support from the overall package if the provision wasn't approved. Cropp said she didn't think the change violated the city's agreement with baseball, but would pressure Williams to find a private financier.

Williams refused to answer questions after the vote.

"We'll have to see how baseball reacts," said Councilman Jack Evans, a baseball proponent. But he said he expects the council will have to change the legislation to keep the deal alive.

"We'll have until the end of the year to change this," Evans said.

(AP) Washington Mayor Anthony Williams, center, D.C. Sports Commission Chairman Mark Tuohey, left, and...

Full Image

City Administrator Robert Bobb said city negotiators were talking with baseball officials, but he didn't expect the owners to accept the change.

If the law stands, baseball's most likely response would be to have the team play the 2005 season at Washington's RFK Stadium while baseball's search committee resumes negotiations with cities that want the team.

One option could be Las Vegas, which was among the cities competing for the Expos and is still lobbying for a team. Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman campaigned at last week's winter meetings, arriving accompanied by showgirls wearing feathered headdresses.

Baseball opponents in Washington said the change makes the deal more equitable.

"All we're asking for is private financing for half the stadium," said Councilman Adrian Fenty, who voted against the final legislation. "That shouldn't be a problem."

The Montreal Expos became the first major league team outside the United States when they started play in 1969, but attendance at Olympic Stadium slumped over the past decade and the franchise was bought by the other 29 teams before the 2002 season. In 2003 and 2004, some of the team's home games were moved to Puerto Rico to raise revenue.

From the start, baseball owners insisted a publicly financed stadium for the team be a component of any move.

When the council gave its initial approval to the law on Nov. 30, it called for the city to issue $531 million in bonds to finance the plan. Baseball owners approved the Expos' move Dec. 2. on the condition that financing be put in place consistent with the deal, and that arrangements to prepare RFK Stadium for use in 2005 satisfied baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

Washington's new team would start play April 4 at Philadelphia and play its home opener April 14 against Arizona at RFK Stadium.

Monterrey, Mexico; Norfolk, Va.; Northern Virginia; Portland, Ore.; and San Juan, Puerto Rico, also tried to land the Expos.

---=

Associated Press Writer Derrill Holly contributed to this story

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Associated Press

BOSTON -- All-Star shortstop Edgar Renteria told The Boston Globe he has agreed to a $40 million, four-year contract with the Red Sox, the paper reported on its Web site Wednesday.

Edgar Renteria

Shortstop

St. Louis Cardinals 

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

GM  HR  RBI  R  SB  AVG

149  10  72  84  17  .287

Renteria, who played for St. Louis for the past six years, made the final out in Boston's World Series sweep of the Cardinals. He has a .289 career average and is a four-time All-Star and two-time Gold Glove winner.

Reached by the paper at his home in Colombia, Renteria said the World Series champions made the best offer.

"I like to play on a winning team like Boston, St. Louis or any team that has the opportunity to win,'' he was quoted as saying. His decision came down to the two pennant winners, and he said the Red Sox were "more interested in my playing for them.''

At a news conference to announce an agreement with pitcher John Halama, Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said no agreement was yet in place with Renteria. Lucchino said the team was negotiating with the shortstop and Boston hoped to hold another news conference this week.

"An All-Star and Gold Glove infielder would be a great addition to this or any other team,'' Lucchino said.

Renteria replaces fellow Colombian Orlando Cabrera, who was acquired in a late-season trade and played a key role in Boston's championship run.

His contract also includes an option for 2009.

If you can't beat 'em join 'em. But hey since Edgar Renteria wore number 3 and that was the Babe's # and the curse...oh wait I don't have to talk about that horse shit anymore. Good deal for the Sox.

As for Cabrera the old shortstop switch has been talked about since the day both Edgar and Orlando became free agents and that seems the place he will end up because, as like almost every other free agent has so far, he has spurned the Tigers.

was.gif

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Washington's new baseball team shut down business and promotional operations indefinitely Wednesday as its move to the nation's capital teetered on the brink of collapse.

The decision by Major League Baseball followed the District of Columbia Council's decision Tuesday night to require private financing for at least half the cost of building a new stadium. The September agreement to move the Montreal Expos to Washington called for a ballpark fully financed by government money.

“  Here we are back where we were five years ago -- a city that cannot do what it says it's going to do. I'm saddened that we can go so far in five years and step back so far in five minutes. ”

— Mayor Anthony A. Williams

"Yes, I think baseball is now in jeopardy," Mayor Anthony A. Williams said.

A previously scheduled news conference to unveil new uniforms was called off and fans who bought tickets to watch the renamed Nationals next season at RFK Stadium can get refunds, said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer.

Baseball will not resume talks with other cities until after Dec. 31, the deadline in the agreement for Washington to put a ballpark financing law in place.

"In the meantime, the club's baseball operations will proceed, but its business and promotional activities will cease until further notice," DuPuy said.

He did not address where the team would play its 2005 home schedule if the deal with Washington falls through. It remains unclear whether baseball would move the franchise to RFK Stadium on a temporary basis, remain at Montreal's Olympic Stadium or go to another city.

Williams had signed the deal nearly three months ago, and publicly celebrated the return of major league baseball to Washington, which hasn't had a team since 1971.

"We had a deal. I believe the deal was broken, and the dream of 33 years is now once again close to dying. I would say close," Williams said at a news conference Wednesday.

Council Chair Linda W. Cropp proposed the amendment, which was approved 10-3 after she threatened to withhold support from the overall package, which then passed In a 7-6 vote.

"I am not trying to kill the deal," Cropp said. "I'm putting some teeth in it because I'm really disappointed with what I got from Major League Baseball."

The September agreement estimated the cost of building the ballpark and refurbishing RFK Stadium at $435 million, but critics claimed it would cost far more. The proposal, as initially approved by the council on Nov. 30, called for Washington to issue up to $531 million in bonds to cover the cost.

"I am very confident that we are going to be able to work through this and that we will have baseball here," said Councilman Jack Evans, who supported Williams on the original financing plan.

Some of the communities that had lost out in the bidding for the team prepared to resume their efforts to lure the franchise.

"I don't think we've ever stopped," Norfolk group head Will Somerindyke Jr. said. "We always wanted to keep this area an option. If the opportunity arises for the Expos again, we are going to be standing there along with everyone else.

"Whether we could get something done by next year, I think that's a stretch," he added. "It would be very, very tough."

Somerindyke's organization has returned the deposits it collected on nearly 10,000 season tickets and almost 100 luxury boxes during its drive to get the Expos. He didn't think it would be difficult to get those deposits back.

Officials in Portland, Ore., were uncertain how to interpret the developments.

"We need to wait to see how Major League Baseball assesses this so we can respond," said Drew Mahalic of the Oregon Sports Authority.

Supporters of Oregon's campaign to land a major league team will update outgoing Portland Mayor Vera Katz next Tuesday, during a previously scheduled meeting concerning the city's efforts to attract a team and stadium financing.

"Obviously this is moving pretty fast," said Scott Farris, a spokesman for Katz. "We have not heard any word from major league baseball that they are reopening the relocation process."

The city has a finance plan for a new ballpark, Farris said. Baseball officials have said they want public financing for a new stadium in place before deciding where to relocate the team.

Mahalic said Oregon's bid for a major league team has never centered solely on the Expos. The Oregon Stadium Campaign has worked to keep Portland's pitch for baseball alive, in hopes of landing a team in the future.

"This is an ongoing pursuit," Mahalic said.

Northern Virginia's group had hoped to build a ballpark near Dulles International Airport.

"We hope that the District of Columbia will be able to fulfill the terms of its agreement and succeed in bringing Major League Baseball back to this region," Virginia Baseball Stadium Authority spokesman Brian Hannigan said.

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman went to baseball's winter meetings last weekend trying to attract attention to his efforts to lure a team. But he could not offer a firm stadium plan.

"It's just a glint in my eye, at this point," he said.

Washington has lost teams twice before: The original Senators became the Minnesota Twins after the 1960 season and the expansion Senators transformed into the Texas Rangers following the 1971 season.

"Here we are back where we were five years ago -- the nation's capital, the center of the world, a city of possibility, aspiration and ambition and opportunity, and a city that cannot do what it says it's going to do," Williams said. "I'm saddened that we can go so far in five years and step back so far in five minutes."

The Expos became the first major league team outside the United States when they started play in 1969, but attendance at Olympic Stadium slumped over the past decade and the franchise was bought by the other 29 teams before the 2002 season. In 2003 and 2004, some of the team's home games were moved to Puerto Rico to raise revenue.

That's such garbage. Don't make a bid for a professional sports team if you can't pay to have it there. Hopefully they go back to Montreal so I have another thing to do when I go up to Canada to get wasted.

Like previously said though, at least they have some good players now.