MLB Offeason Thread

sahyder1

That's dandy.  Even at 40-something years old, he's still an immature prick.

I didn't really have a problem with him until, after apologizing numerous times at the beginning of the press conference, he began the whole "did I not say" b.s. to apparently the same cameraman/journalist he shoved the day before.  It was almost like watching Marv Levy all over again.

yup....he had that whole apology going and the "did I not say" just made seem like he was being pissed off by the media yet again. Mark it down....he will explode again. He followed in Schilling's footsteps of landing on a good offensive team in order to pile up victories in a HUGE market.......it's just too bad that RJ is no Schilling when it comes to charisma or handling people.

Edited by sahyder1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK this whole Carlos Delgado "courtship" has dragged on too long...

I personally think he is going to the Mets but it seems that the Marlins and Rangers are also pretty strong players in the Delgado chase.

Where does anyone think he will end up?

I think he's pretty much a lock to sign with the Mets.

I personally think he is going to the Mets but it seems that the Marlins and Rangers are also pretty strong players in the Delgado chase.

More than likely.. It seems the Mets want to spend a lot of money to get not a whole lot in return... Again....

Did anyone hear about Florida's senate president are calling the Marlins terrorists for wanting money for a new stadium??

Astros ink Clemens to record deal

Rocket signs one-year contract for $18 million

By Alyson Footer and Jim Molony / MLB.com 

HOUSTON -- Three days after Roger Clemens proposed an unprecedented figure of $22 million in salary arbitration, the Rocket and the Houston Astros came to a happy medium and agreed upon a one-year contract worth $18 million, giving the right-hander the highest salary earned by a pitcher in a single season.

The previous record was held by Pedro Martinez, who earned $17.5 million in 2004, his last year with the Red Sox.

When the two sides exchanged salary figures Tuesday, the Astros offered Clemens, a 10-time All-Star, $13.5 million, the highest one-year salary proposal in club history. Last year, Clemens accepted a "hometown discount" deal worth $5 million, and he earned an additional $1.8 million when incentives were met.

Clemens, who was 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA, won the Cy Young Award in 2004 after leading his hometown team to within a game of the World Series. His 18 victories were tied with Carl Pavano for the second-most in the National League. He was the starter of the All-Star Game at Minute Maid Park and helped the Astros set a home attendance record with 3,087,872 fans.

The Astros sold out eight of Clemens' home starts, and averaged 39,433 fans over his 20 starts at Minute Maid Park. Houston averaged 38,122 fans per game at home.

Clemens, who will turn 43 in August, had talked of retiring following the season, but never completely closed the door. He had indicated as recently as December that he would make up his mind in late January or early February. During the Winter Meetings in December, his agents accepted the Astros' offer of salary arbitration and hinted the Rocket would be more inclined to return if the club signed center fielder Carlos Beltran.

Apparently, the Astros losing Beltran to the Mets wasn't a deal breaker for Clemens.

Clemens' return will not fix the holes the Astros need to fill offensively, but the Rocket's presence in a starting rotation that will likely consist of Andy Pettitte, Roy Oswalt and Brandon Backe gives the Astros one of the better rotations in the division.

A chance for one more season with old friend Pettitte, expected to be healthy after an injury-shortened 2004, as well as a chance to give the hometown fans one more opportunity to see him play, were among factors Clemens had to consider before making his decision. He proved quite convincingly last season that there is still a lot left in the Rocket.

Clemens won his final six decisions and eight of nine after the All-Star break. He finished the season with 4,317 career strikeouts, second-most behind Nolan Ryan and 156 ahead of Randy Johnson of the New York Yankees.

Clemens leads all active pitchers in wins, starts, innings, strikeouts, complete games and shutouts.

Clemens' 328 career victories has him tied with John Clarkson for 10th most all-time. If Clemens wins 15 games in 2005, he will pass Clarkson, Steve Carlton (329) and Tim Keefe (342) for eighth place.

The .667 winning percentage by Clemens is the highest by any right-hander with 250 career decisions and the best by any 300-game winner other than Lefty Grove (.680).

Clemens could also move up on several other career lists in 2005. His 4,493 career innings is 28th all-time and he needs only eight innings to pass Eppa Rixey, Eddie Plank and Ferguson Jenkins for the 25th spot. His 46 shutouts rank 26th all-time and are within three of Don Drysdale, Early Wynn, Luis Tiant and Jenkins for 21st place.

Sammy might be slamming somewhere else next season.

WGN Radio in Chicago reported Friday that the Cubs will trade Sammy Sosa to the Baltimore Orioles if the outfielder passes a physical and waives his no-trade clause. The Cubs would receive infielder Jerry Hairston, pitcher Jorge Julio and two minor-leaguers in return.

The report comes a week after Chicago general manager Jim Hendry told the team's winter convention that he thought the slugger, linked to trade rumors all offseason, and the Cubs could patch up their differences by spring training.

Last season was a tumultous one for Sosa. He was sidelined for a month because of a back problem brought on by a sneezing attack. The Cubs lost seven of their final nine games in a collapse that cost them the NL wild card, and Sosa was fined $87,400 -- one day's salary -- for leaving the clubhouse shortly after the final game started.

Sosa batted just .253 -- his lowest average since 1997 -- and hit 35 homers and 80 RBI in 126 games, ending his run of 100-RBI seasons at nine.

Sosa, who has 574 career homers, also heard some unfamiliar boos at Wrigley Field last season.

He has a $17 million salary this year, and the team has an $18 million option for 2006 with a $4.5 million buyout. If Sosa is traded, his 2006 salary becomes guaranteed and a 2007 club option is added at $19 million with a $4.5 million buyout. Cubs management had said it expected Sosa back in right field, partly because other teams were unwilling to take on his burdensome contract.

"I think he will be traded, and I think Sammy will be one of the best pickups of the entire offseason," Reich told The Sporting News earlier Friday. "He deserves better than this. He's determined, absolutely determined, determined to remind people he has a lot of productive time left."

Jorge Julio was not part of that trade. It was Hariston, 2 Prospects and $10M straight up for Sosa.

His contract has also been restructered so that the clauses that come into effect if he is traded will no longer be a factor. He will play one season for Baltimore and then be a free agent.

I think this trade is good for everyone involved. It was Clear Sosa didn't want to be in Chicago anymore and Chicago didn't want him there either. Baltimore really needed to do something to take a step forward and this is it. They still can't compete with the Yankees or Red Sox because they don't have any pitching. Regardless I like a lineup that features Mora, Tejada, Sosa, Lopez and Palmeiro. This will make Tejada even better since Sosa will be protecting him in the lineup. If the Cubs turn those prospect and get Huff they come out strong as well, although Huff is a terrible fielder, even worse then Sosa, and can't DH in the National League.

I know this is a couple of days but I just felt the urge to rejoice in the departure of Hideo Nomo from the Los Angeles Dodgers. Back in the mid-90's, this guy was one of my favorite players on the team. Even when he came back to LA a couple years back I was happy about it. But after last year, I wanted Nomo out at any cost. Luckily the Tampa Bay Devil Rays decided to give him a whirl with a minor league deal. Now I know it's not good to jump off a bandwagon just because a guy/team starts to go downhill but Nomo didn't go downhill, he fell off the fucking cliff. Every Dodgers game with him on the mound led to massive amounts of cringing and trying to guess how far the last home run just went. Don't get me wrong I wish the guy the best in Tampa but Hideo needs to hang 'em up soon if last season is any indication of what he has left in the tank.