WWF 1990

EWRFan

Good show man, I'm looking forward to the Rumble and seeing who'll win it. My three favorites for it are Warrior, Perfect and DiBiase. Though, I see Warrior and DiBiase getting involved in a feud for the IC title. I hope Perfect does win, And hopefully the Hulkster will put him over for the title. Looking forward to the next show

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies guys. Specially Hewey cause I enjoy your diary a lot.

Anyway, the official list of Rumble entrants will be revealed in the next Prime Time Wrestling.

Official contest!!!

Predict the winner of the tag team title tournament!! The winner will get to decide an undercard feud that will happen after Wrestlemania. As a tiebreaker, predict the other finalist as well.

To start with, this diary has started off well and I know it will get better, you have the era accurate with the squash matches and so on. I hope Perfect, Rude and the Hart Foundation get pushed.

Official contest!!!

Predict the winner of the tag team title tournament!! The winner will get to decide an undercard feud that will happen after Wrestlemania. As a tiebreaker, predict the other finalist as well.

WWF Superstars

January 15 1990

USA Network

Presented by Hasbro! WWF Superstars #1 on sale now!!!

Announcers: Vince McMahon & Jesse Ventura

Jake "The Snake" Roberts d. Brooklyn Brawler(1:22)

Another match that was designed to put over a possible threat at Hogan's title. Vince and Jesse spent the whole match thinking about a possible matchup between Hogan and Roberts at Wrestlemania VI. Roberts made quick work of Brawler and beats him clean with the DDT.

Winner: Jake "The Snake" Roberts(OR:64 CR:54 MQ: 75)

The Texas Tornado

We see a clip of a man beating a bunch of jobbers with a discus punch. Then we see this same man winning some sort of title that is blurred out (the USWA title some time ago) and then we are taken backstage with this man and Mean Gene Okerlund.

Mean Gene: "Ladies and gentlemen, I am standing by with one of this year's new entrants to the Royal Rumble. A man that has won numerous titles around the world and is known as The Texas Tornado, Kerry Von Erich. Kerry, I am well aware of your accomplishments around the world and I wanted to ask you, how does it feel to be in the WWF and what do you think of WWF Champion Hulk Hogan?"

Kerry: "Well Mean Gene, it is a pleasure to be here with you tonight making my debut in the WWF. I think this is a great opportunity, the chance of a lifetime to be here in the WWF and believe me when I say this, I wont let this opportunity go. I was invited to compete in the Royal Rumble, 30 men and one winner will walk out and go to Wrestlemania and main event the show aganist the WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan. Now Mean Gene, dont get me wrong, the competition in the WWF is the fiercest and strongest of any other place I have ever been, Hogan is a man that I respect and admire for everything he has done and all the greats that he has beaten. But I came here with the goal of becoming the very best and believe me, you cant be the best unless you have beaten the best. I wont make any predictions regarding the Royal Rumble, the only thing I will say is that you will see the best of Kerry Von Erich in that match and I am looking forward to facing Hulk Hogan."

Mean Gene: "The sensational Texas Tornado, Kerry Von Erich. Now let's go to the ring and witness this fearsome gladiator make his in-ring debut."

(OR: 69%)

"Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich d. Kevin Krueger (1:37)

They sold Kerry as a great technical wrestler and one who also works very fast. He started the match countering some basic holds with Kruger and then inmediatly went into a rampage of offense in a very fast speed. How can he do it missing 1/2 his foot? Anyway, he used a lame Discus Punch that Vince named "The Texas Tornado" for the win.

Winner: Kerry Von Erich(OR:49 CR:35 MQ:65)

The Genius d. Ben Jordan(2:21)

Another new jobber debuts aganist The Genius. Similiar to his last match, the Genius carefully studied his opponent and worked over him in the mat. The finish came when Jordan went for a neckbreaker, but Genius found a way out and managed to get the Honor Roll (Victory Roll) for the win. Genius kept talking about being able to find anyone's weakness.

Winner: The Genius(OR:54 CR:36 MQ: 72)

Rockers/Sheepherders video

A video airs of all the past events between The Rockers and The Sheepherders, including the finish to last week's match. Then we are shown backstage footage of Prime Time in which Marty and Shawn are getting stitches in their foreheads after the assault with the flag poles. The footage is blurred out due to it being too graphic according to McMahon. The only things we could hear in between the screams of anger was Shawn telling Marty "This is not over yet Marty, it is not over by a longshot!"

(OR: 76%)

The Rockers d. Rythm N Blues (4:51)

The Rockers had little white tapes covering the spot where they got their stitches in their foreheads. The Rockers treated the heels like punching bags and looked totally focused. McMahon said that he had never seen this intensity in the face of the rocking duo. Marty pinned Honky after the Rocker Dropper. No partying or celebration after tge match, the Rockers simply left with a bad look on their faces.

Winners: The Rockers(OR:78 CR:64 MQ:93)

Bossman looking for someone

Backstage, Slick and Akeem are preparing for their match in the WWF Tag Team Title Tournament. Bossman is looking trough some files and papers.

Slick: "Heeeeeey Booosssssman. Can you pleeeease pay attention?"

Bossman: "Sorry Slick. I am just a little pissed off. You see, I am looking for this guy, One Man Gang. He is a notorious criminal who used to work here in the WWF. He left a long time ago, but for whatever reason, the FBI thinks he is still here, disguised as someone else. But I cant find him anywhere. I need to find him, otherwise, I am out of a job."

Slick: "Just forget about that will you? Weeee have a match to get ready for...ya feeeeeeeeel me?"

Bossman: "You are right Slick. Sorry man, I will take this papers to the office and be in the ring in a minute"

Bossman leaves

Akeem: "Think he will find out?"

Slick: "Nooooo...he is such an idiot...he wont."

(OR:76%)

WWF Tag Team Title Tournament Round I:

The Hart Foundation d. The Twin Towers (6:41)

Great way to close the show.The faces looked really strong at the beginning of the match, but the obvious size differential played a factor as the match slowed down with the heels working over Bret and later Anvil. After Neidhart made the tag to Bret, Akeem ordered Bossman to get the nightstick into the ring. As Bossman swinged, Bret ducked and Akeem took the blow!! The Anvil dumps Bossman as Bret nails a second rope elbow on Akeem for the pinfall. As The Hart Foundation celebrate, Akeem and Bossman argue and the show comes to an end.

Winner: The Hart Foundation(OR:75 CR:69 MQ: 81)

Overall: 68%

Good show, The Akeem/Bossman storyline sounds interesting. The Rumble is certainly heating up, The tag title tournament is suppose to end at Wrestlemania 6 right? I thought I read that and was just wondering. Looking forward to the next update :D

WWF The Magazine

user posted image

The Perfect Challenge

By: Sophie Corbett

To professional wrestling fans, it is no secret that Mr. Perfect is one of the most complex personalities in this business. The son of wrestling great Larry "The Axe" Henning is one annoying individual that believes he is the greatest wrestler alive and reminds us of it every chance he gets. But what if Mr. Perfect is saying the truth?

Outside of the WWF, Perfect established a name for himself as a strong technical wrestler that never backed down from a challenge, but was never given the praise he deserved. In his numerous collection of titles, one piece of gold is missing and that is the WWF World Title.

"When I came here, I came because this is the best place to be and this is where the great athletes come to play" said the controversial Mr. Perfect. "What's the point in having many world titles if their is no competition for them? I defeated all those old guys who still think they have it, I defeated the biggest men, the strongest men that where thrown my way without breaking a sweat. When I came here and people started booing me, when they should have been on their knees admiring the athlete that was in front of them, it really pissed me off. I mean, why do they love those other guys? Hogan and Warrior I can understand, they are among the best on the world, but people like Jim Duggan and Dusty Rhodes? Please, they like someone that yells a lot and always shows his thumb...or someone that dresses in polka dots and talks like he came out of the special olimpics. That really pissed me off. That is why I am taking this so called heroes down one by one. Hogan and Warrior have refused to wrestle me, but I will get my chance to prove them who is better when I win the Royal Rumble this year."

To Perfect, their is no competition in the Royal Rumble. In his mind, he believes it is a matter of going into the ring and that's it. He believes he is so good that he just needs to walk out there and let things happen. But is he right? Maybe so. You cant doubt his talent and his confidence. When he talks, as annoying as he might get, he talks with the confidence that he can back up his words and so far, he has backed them up. That is why come Wrestlemania VI, we might be looking at the Perfect Challenge for Hogan's title.

From Bushwhackers to head whackers

By Bill Watts

One of the hottest things in the WWF right now is the sudden transformation of the Bushwhackers from loving weirdos to dangerous psycopaths. To many people outside this business, it was a huge shock, but for those that live and breathe wrestling, it was a matter of time.

Personally, I was one of the few people that didnt want Butch and Luke in the WWF. I have seen what they have done all over the world, I had seen who the Sheepherders where before they showed their true colors a couple of weeks ago. For fans from places like the mid south are and Puerto Rico, Butch and Luke where to savages that stopped at nothing to destroy their opponents, it was a common sight to see their opponents bleeding, it was a common sight to see the flag poles play a factor in the matches, it was a common sight to see barbed wire or fire getting involved in the outcome of the match.

But when they came looking for a WWF contract, the first thing that President Tunney asked of them was to tone down the violence and stop being the demented bloodthirsty animals they where. That was the only condition for their signing. That is how the Bushwhackers came to pass. I was skeptical of this signing, how long until they turned back into the animals they really are? But after seeing the Bushwhackers in action and seeing how well the crowd responded and how changed they where, I agreed that it was a good move. I felt that Luke and Butch truly changed for the better.

But President Tunney did something that Butch and Luke didnt like. They where left out of the WWF Tag Team Title Tournament. That was the spark that lighted the flame and turned this two back to their former ways. But is Tunney really the person to blame? No. He had a tough decision to make and he made the choices based on who he tought where the top teams in the world at the moment. Butch and Luke's record was not good enough to enter, that is the truth. But when other wrestlers that have never tagged before like Tito Santana and Tugoboat or Jim Duggan and Dusty Rhodes where entered, that is when you have to blame Tunney. Why not put one of the most experienced teams in the tournament? Perhaps because he feared this same thing, he feared that giving Butch and Luke the opportunity to conquer the gold would mean unleashing the savage instict that was missing from them. Now The Sheepherders have arrived and the WWF has a big problem in their hands.

Only time will tell how far Butch and Luke will go.

Edited by EWRFan

Guest Prototype

Good show. The Bossman/Akeem storlyine is humurous, although I dont know if at the time the WWF would actually acknowledge someone changing "gimmicks". Looking forward to the Rumble.

WWF Prime Time

January 16 1990

USA Network

Presented by Nintendo!! WWF Superstars on NES for just $39.99

Announcers: Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby Heenan

The British Bulldogs

We see the same footage from a couple of weeks ago, a tag team with flags from England on their tights kicking a bunch of jobbers. The video ends with "THE BRITISH BULLDOGS DEBUT....TONIGHT!!"

(66%)

The Nasty Boys

Another video airs, this time showing two tall men dressed in leather jackets and pants, wearing motorcycle helmets. Then they get into the ring and remove them, kick a bunch of jobbers and celebrate with BOBBY HEENAN!!! The video airs with "THE NASTY BOYS DEBUT....TONIGHT!!"

(87%)

WWF Tag Team Title Tournament:

The Nasty Boys/with Bobby Heenan d. The British Bulldogs (9:59)

This was by far the best match of the tournament. Bobby Heenan left the commentary booth and joined his new team. The Nasties came out wearing some hideous motorcycle helmets, while the Bulldogs came out with their own bulldog named Matilda. Very power heavy match with some great spots from the Dynamite Kid. The Bulldogs had the match won after Davey's running powerslam into a Swan Dive Headbutt from the Kid, but Heenan got on the apron and distracted the referee, allowing Jerry Sags to use one of the helmets and knock out the Bulldogs. Seconds later, he covered Davey Boy and the Nasties moved on to the quaterfinals.

Winners: The Nasty Boys(OR:73 CR:70 MQ:94)

The Dragon has arrived....and the Macho Man doesnt like it!!

Backstage, Mean Gene Okerlund was standing by with Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat.

Mean Gene: "Ladies and gentlemen, it is a pleasure to be standing by with The Dragon, Ricky Steamboat as he returns to the WWF. Dragon, if I am not mistaken, you are back because you where invited to the Royal Rumble. How does it feel to be back in the WWF."

Dragon: "It is a pleasure to be here with you Mean Gene and it feels great to be back home. When I got that phone call from Jack Tunney and he told me, Ricky, you have to come back and enter the Royal Rumble because you are one of the best in the world and the WWF is where the best in the world go to wrestle. I said, thank you Jack and see you there. I was waiting for a chance to come back and earn my shot at the top and this looks to be the perfect moment to do so. 29 other men will enter, only the dragon will walk away the winner. I feel a lot of respect for Hulk Hogan, I even get goose bumps when I think about facing him, but when I win the Royal Rumble and go on to Wrestlemania VI, all the goose bumps will fade away and all the nerves will go away and the only thing that will remain is my desire to win that title....."

Savage: "and what makes you think you will win the Rumble? I dont even know why you are back here Dragon. I kicked your butt all over the USA in the past and I will do it again. I want you to understand something Steamboat....I dont like you, I never did, I defeated you hundreds of times and I tought I got rid of you for good. But you seem to like getting beat up by the Macho King and you came back for more.OOOOOOOH YEEAAH!!! Steamboat, only one man will walk out of the Royal Rumble as the winner and that man is me.....OOOOHHH YEEEAAHHH!!! DIG IT!! I just hope you are in the ring when it's my turn to get in so I can get the privilege of tossing you over that top rope!!!"

Steamboat: " Oh believe me Randy, I will be there. We'll see who dumps who out of the Rumble."

They stare each other down nose to nose and it seems an old rivalry is boiling hot again.

(80%)

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat d. Greg "The Hammer" Valentine (4:13)

Great crowd reception and great re-debut match for The Dragon. Hammer attacked him from behind and was in control, but Ricky made a quick comeback after he moved out of a charge to the corner. Steamboat used a wide variety of chops and kicks to decimate Valentine and finished with his trademark Flying Crossbody for the win. After the match ended, Randy Savage attacked Steamboat from behind and tossed him over the top rope. He then started yelling at Steamboat "The same thing will happen this Sunday!!! OOOOOOH YEEAAAH!!"

Winner: Ricky Steamboat(OR:67 CR:67 MQ:83)

Tunney's decision

Jack Tunney is sitting by his desk with a huge WWF Logo in the back.

Tunney: " Ladies and gentlemen, fans of the WWF. I have made my final decision regarding the Andre the Giant situation. I dont think Andre is capable of properly defending himself on a wrestling ring. He needs more time to train. I am willing to give Andre his match aganist Haku at this year's Wrestlemania VI if he proves to me that he is on adequate condition. Andre has already been informed of my decision and he asked for something else, which I decided to grant. At the Royal Rumble, Haku will face the WWF Champion Hulk Hogan in a non-title match, with Andre as the special referee. Haku has been informed of this decision and has accepted with one condition, that his entrance to the Royal Rumble is not jeopardized and that, since he is wrestling Hogan, he gets #30. Seeing that he is facing the champion of the world, I have granted his request, therefore, Haku will enter #30 at the Rumble and the other 29 numbers will be decided in a random drawing. That is all."

(53%)

Rowdy Roddy Piper d. Reno Riggins (1:23)

More Rumble hype. Piper just pummels Riggins and locks him in the sleeper for the win in less than one minute and half.

Winner: Rowdy Roddy Piper(OR:44 CR:45 MQ: 54)

Warrior is ambushed

According to Gorilla, this video is from yesterday during a house show in Queens. Ultimate Warrior had just defended the Intercontinental Title aganist The Honky Tonk Man and was walking backstage to his locker room when Ted DiBiase and Virgil attack him from behind. Warrior is send face first aganist the wall and then he is battered and beaten with the Million Dollar Title. DiBiase and Virgil run away after spotting the camera.

(OR: 77%)

Tito Santana & Tugboat d. Bob Bradley & Iron Mike Sharpe(2:14)

Gorilla says that Tito and Tugboat are getting ready for this Saturday's Wrestling Challenge and their match aganist The Bolkshevicks. Tugboat wins after Santana nails Sharpe with the Flying Jalapeno followed by Tugboat's Big Splash for the win.

Winners: Santana & Tugboat(OR:42 CR:37 MQ:52)

The Perfect Challenge

We get a replay of Perfect's challenge at Superstars and then he comes out with a mic:

Perfect: "You people dont even deserve to hear me talk, so I will make it short. Bring out the next challlenger in the Perfect challenge."

Out comes Hercules Hernandez and Perfect looks worried.

(80%)

Mr. Perfect d. Hercules Hernandez (7:21)

Hercules mauls Perfect from the beginning and he just pinballs around the ring. Perfect gets locked in the Full Nelson and he looks to have no chance of winning, but he makes the ropes and as the ref orders the break, he gives Hercules a mule kick down low and takes over. He wins with the Perfectplex.

Winner: Mr. Perfect (OR:59 CR:68 MQ:68)

Overall: 65%

Edited by EWRFan

WWF Royal Rumble card

Non-Title Match: Special Referee Andre the Giant:

Hulk Hogan vs Haku

Flag Match:

The Rockers vs The New Zealand Sheepherders

Two WWF Tag Team Title Quaterfinal matches:

TO BE ANNOUNCED ON WRESTLING CHALLENGE

THE ROYAL RUMBLE:

PARTICIPANTS:

BRUTUS "THE BARBER" BEEFCAKE, DAVEY BOY SMITH, THE DYNAMITE KID,DUSTY RHODES, HERCULES HERNANDEZ, HILLBILLY JIM, JAKE "THE SNAKE" ROBERTS, "HACKSAW" JIM DUGGAN,"SUPERFLY" JIMMY SNUKA, "TEXAS TORNADO" KERRY VON ERICH, KOKO B. WARE, RICKY "THE DRAGON" STEAMBOAT, ROWDY RODDY PIPER, ULTIMATE WARRIOR, BAD NEWS BROWN,HAKU, MR. PERFECT, "MACHO KING" RANDY SAVAGE,"MILLION DOLLAR MAN" TED DIBIASE, "RAVISHING" RICK RUDE, THE BARBARIAN, THE GENIUS, BRET "THE HITMAN" HART, JIM "THE ANVIL" NEIDHART, AX, SMASH, JERRY SAGS, BRIAN KNOBBS, "THE MODEL" RICK MARTEL AND TITO SANTANA.

Guest Prototype

Good show. Steamboat being back is cool and a feud between him and Savage should be great. I hope Savage comes out on top. Having Haku fight Hogan in a non-title match at a PPV, plus being in the Rumble itself, makes no sense to me. Whats the point of the match if Haku gets nothing if he beats Hogan? (not that he will though) Here are my Rumble predictions.

WWF Royal Rumble card

Non-Title Match: Special Referee Andre the Giant:

Hulk Hogan vs Haku

Flag Match:

The Rockers vs The New Zealand Sheepherders

Two WWF Tag Team Title Quaterfinal matches:

TO BE ANNOUNCED ON WRESTLING CHALLENGE

THE ROYAL RUMBLE:

PARTICIPANTS:

BRUTUS "THE BARBER" BEEFCAKE, DAVEY BOY SMITH, THE DYNAMITE KID,DUSTY RHODES, HERCULES HERNANDEZ, HILLBILLY JIM, JAKE "THE SNAKE" ROBERTS, "HACKSAW" JIM DUGGAN,"SUPERFLY" JIMMY SNUKA, "TEXAS TORNADO" KERRY VON ERICH, KOKO B. WARE, RICKY "THE DRAGON" STEAMBOAT, ROWDY RODDY PIPER, ULTIMATE WARRIOR, BAD NEWS BROWN,HAKU, MR. PERFECT, "MACHO KING" RANDY SAVAGE,"MILLION DOLLAR MAN" TED DIBIASE, "RAVISHING" RICK RUDE, THE BARBARIAN, THE GENIUS, BRET "THE HITMAN" HART, JIM "THE ANVIL" NEIDHART, AX, SMASH, JERRY SAGS, BRIAN KNOBBS, "THE MODEL" RICK MARTEL AND TITO SANTANA

WWF Wrestling Challenge

January 21 1990

FOX

Presented by Coliseum Video! Survivor Series on sale now for just $19.99!!

Announcers: Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura

McMahon and Ventura are the announcers tonight since they are the official PPV announcers and where on HYPE DUTY!!

WWF World Tag Team Title Tournament Round I:

Tito Santana & Tugboat d. Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov (3:35)

Total squash as the russians had no offense. Maybe that is why they refused to cooperate and no sold most of the attacks, which led to a bad match. Once again, the Flying Jalapeno/Big Splash combo was enough to finish Zhukov and the faces advance in the tournament.

Winners: Santana & Tugboat(OR: 49 CR:52 MQ:43)

McMahon then mentions that tomorrow at the Royal Rumble, the quaterfinals begin with THE YOUNG STALLIONS AGANIST DINO BRAVO & EARTHQUAKE and DEMOLITION VS BAD COMPANY.

More in the life of detective Bossman

Backstage, Akeem is talking to Slick.....on a different voice? But as soon as Big Bossman enters the room, he changes his voice to the same old african wannabe stupid tone.

Bossman: "I am really starting to get mad. I mean...I have interrogated every single superstar in the WWF and I have absolutly no clue who One Man Gang is. How can a thug disguise himself as an african native and I cant recognize him?"

Akeem: "Weeeeeeeeeell brotha, I hope you dont think that Aaaaaakeeem is your man. After all, I am the African Dreaaaaaaaam, you have reason to suspect."

Bossman: "Seriosly? I mean, for what I know, One Man Gang is one tough street punk and he sure wont disguise himself as a happy go-lucky african who dances and makes funny gestures. I dont think he will go that low...."

Akeeem (In normal voice, seems to be upset and forget his schtick) "Are you saying I am a joke?!!!!"

Bossman seems surprised at the reaction and the tone of voice as Akeem does his best to compose himself.

Akeem: "Soooooo sorry Bossman. It seeeems I am getting too in touch with the american lifestyle and it is affecting my behaviour...even my native accent seems to be fading away."

Before any more questions could be asked, Slick steps in the middle of this and pulls the Bossman away.

Slick: "Bossman, stop this thing, would ya. Weeee have a match coming up and you suuuuuuuuure need to focus."

Bossman and Slick exit, not before Bossman eyes up Akeem. Akeem seems lost in tought....

Akeem: (In normal voice) "I think he is starting to suspect....I might have to get rid of him somehow.....somehow..."

(75%)

Big Bossman d. Al Perez (3:14)

The crowd seems to be getting behind Bossman's angle since they start a "He is Akeem" chant pretty soon. Slick's facials are impressive as he tells Bossman to ignore the fans and focus on the match. Bossman pounds Perez for the whole match (with Perez no selling yet again) and finishes with the Bossman Slam.

Winner: Big Bossman(OR:50 CR:35 MQ: 66)

Hogan/Haku/Andre video

A video airs hyping the whole Andre and Haku saga and how Hogan became involved. This all leads to the Hogan vs Haku match with Andre as the special ref at the Royal Rumble tomorrow night.

(95%)

Warrior is attacked replay

They replay the video of the assault on the Ultimate Warrior by Virgil and Ted DiBiase:

Warrior is ambushed

According to Gorilla, this video is from yesterday during a house show in Queens. Ultimate Warrior had just defended the Intercontinental Title aganist The Honky Tonk Man and was walking backstage to his locker room when Ted DiBiase and Virgil attack him from behind. Warrior is send face first aganist the wall and then he is battered and beaten with the Million Dollar Title. DiBiase and Virgil run away after spotting the camera.