Modded 2006 BMW 3 Series

Guest John Cena

Guest John Cena

I've done plenty of other GFX-related stuff, but this is my first attempt at modding a car of any sort. I took a picture of a 2006 BMW 3 Series and did a few things to it.

The original:

P0016997.jpg

My version:

BMW3.jpg

Modifications

-- Replaced manufacturer's hood with carbon fiber one

-- Added blue underglow lights

-- Custom rims

-- Custom paint job

Being slow at this and making a lot of mistakes, the whole thing took me over 3 hours to do :P. Any thoughts, feedback, etc.?

First off i'm gonna say that i absolutely suck at car chopping so take my thoughts witha grain of salt.

I like the hood a lot , the overall color looks a tad unrealistic ( don't ask me why it jsut looks off) also the glow just doesn't seem right Love the rims . just noticed one mirror is yellow the other isn't

just a question . Did you use tutorials to do that if so can you post a link I really want to learn

There are several things I don't like. First the Carbon Fiber doesn't look at all real. Second why is the BMW badge still on the hood, after-market hoods don't have them on there. The leftrear rim is very choppy. The left mirror is still silver. The door handles are silver, and why is the side marker light yellow/green? One more little thing, the underglow is poorly done.

Just so I'm not all negative...I love the color. I'm also very negative because that's one of my favorite cars.

Guest John Cena

yea the carbon fiber pattern i used was a bit big and i didnt realize that till the very end. next time i change the hood the pattern will be smaller. as for the bmw emblem, i stuck it back on there myself without really thinking about the fact taht the custom hoods never have them there :P. the glow did bother me too but there was only one tut on that and i wanted to try it out anyway. thanks everybody for all the feedback and always leave more if you want :).

to doc: here's a site i got most of my help from http://www.photoshopchop.com/index.html

Guest John Cena

well i obviously like the underglow on urs better than mine (how'd you do it?). hood scoop looks a tad odd and the rear rim the side looks a bit 'dented' or just off. otherwise, very nice

well i obviously like the underglow on urs better than mine (how'd you do it?)

Thanks. For the underglow, I traced out the shadow and promoted it to a new layer, coloured it with pruple and set the layer style to Soft Light. Then I did a little smudging and darkening near the edges.

Guest John Cena

you can basically just get 'em from anywhere. any pic of a car with newer rims or w/e you want. all you have to do is adjust the perspective of the rim to fit the car ur using and play with the lighting effects etc to make it look realistic

Guest John Cena

definitely different from mine and caucasian's lol. except i dont like the color much. the edges of the custom bumper are visible and thus make it look a bit ugly and the side-skirt doesnt quite match the rest of the body's color. i was gonna add a spoiler to mine but i couldnt for the life of me figure out how so urs looks decent. as for the roof scoop, i dunno how to tell you to fix that cuz i couldnt do it myself (it just looked all squashed and retarded).

JC's: The colour is nice, the carbon fiber hood looks good. The rims and glow look a bit dodgy but it's not bad.

CH's: Nice colour, glow and rims look sweet. Hood scoops was a good idea but not quite executed. Perspective is a tad out and they could both be moved to the left a bit.

Dan's: Nice colour again, i'm liking the decals on the side and the hatch on the hood. the front bumper lets it down since that's the first thing people look at it and it's colour isn't quite right and it's blurry. Rims are decent. Spoiler looks a bit jaggy and you should try to avoid colourising the BMW badge.