"With Teeth" Release Date

tristy

And this topic quickly got off topic. I haven't really listened to too much NIN, but I might pick this up when it comes out. Definitely going to pick up the new Mudvayne one though, as well as the new SOAD ones when they come out.

I'm still not exactly sure how bands like Breaking Benjamin or Papa Roach could be considered "nu-metal" and then throwing in Slipknot and Linkin Park into that same category. None of those four bands even sound remotely similar to each other in the slightest fucking bit. I could throw these bands CDs into random genre bins at the record store and come out with more accuracy. I really hate trying to label what is what anymore because everyone changes their style up. So I'll just say it's still Rock n Roll to me bitches.

May is too far for more NIN! But in all honesty, I'm even more excited about a new tour than the album because when I saw NIN in 2000, it was better than sex. Well, better than sex with myself. Tristy, any news on a tour yet other than the vague New Year's Eve message?

And this topic quickly got off topic. I haven't really listened to too much NIN, but I might pick this up when it comes out. Definitely going to pick up the new Mudvayne one though, as well as the new SOAD ones when they come out.

Wannabe, I like you, but you're sounding like one of the 'music elists' that Cloudy & I used to talk about. Saying that X band ripped off Y band, and that X band is nu-metal or some such shit. Basically, you're coming across as a cock. Genres mean shit. If the music is good, that's all that should matter. Thus why I hate Cannibal Corpse.

I hate Cannibal Corpse as well. And how am I an elitist? Did I say that because a band is classified as nu-metal, that they are rubbish? I like Nu-Metal bands! Deftones, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Motograter and others are all in my CD collection, and are classified as Nu-Metal (Deftones being one of my favourite bands) All I'm saying is that that is generally what bands like Mudvayne and Mushroomhead are classified as. And as someone else pointed out, there is no real relevance with between bands in that genre. It's basically as redundant as the Metalcore term, which has taken over also. Also, I didn't say that anyone ripped off anyone, I just said that Mudvayne riffs are generally "watered down", or less complex then Metal, but still play on that basic idea. It is a commercial metal variant, which is basically what most Nu-Metal is. "Watered down" isn't a bad thing necessarily, as thats the only way I can think of describing it, but as someone said, Mudvayne may be as heavy as someone wants to go, listening-wise.

Genre's do mean shit when they are redundant, but most genre's make sense, apart from Nu-Metal (and to a lesser extent metalcore), which I just use as its convenient. It's like book genres...not every science fiction book you read will be the same, but they follow certain codes, similar to most music genres.

I also didn't say Cannibal Corpse were just metal (they are Death Metal), but that "heavy" for Mudvayne, is nowhere near as "heavy" as bands who play metal, and most of its different genres.

And I'm sorry if I'm a bit anal about that kinda thing, but I want to be a music journalist, so therefore, I believe in the genre system, and think that you can to a certain extent put most bands into a category, with similar artists. Many bands are polygeneric (made up word....:P), and manage to use 2 or more genre styles from song to song, as it is no longer good to just use 1, as people look for something more complex, or different, which can only happen if people mix more sounds and styles together (like The Mars Volta, for example). That's where the genre's begin to also get slightly hazy.

Also, fineintent, Kerrang still use the Math Metal term for Meshuggah and Dillinger Escape Plan. It's any band that basically uses Jazz time signatures, rather then standard signatures (very difficult to do apparently). Other bands who do it are Burnt By The Sun and Botch

Jazz time signatures are complicated, and Mudvayne use them with aparent ease and without alienating the listener IMO. My band also use them, and one day I'll post some MP3's.

What's a NIN live show like? I've never seen one on TV, let alone in the flesh - and I'm hopefully going to book tickets on Saturday morning.

Jazz time signatures are complicated, and Mudvayne use them with aparent ease and without alienating the listener IMO. My band also use them, and one day I'll post some MP3's.

What's a NIN live show like? I've never seen one on TV, let alone in the flesh - and I'm hopefully going to book tickets on Saturday morning.

I just don't think they use them as good as a band like Meshuggah or DEP.

And in a word: quality!

I could never get into DEP, they really fucking annoyed me when I saw them supporting SOAD. It just seemed so unstructured, and not in a good way. And the singer just growled for the whole set, ad nauseum.

I read about that gig, and most reviews said that the SOAD fans were just bullish and pig headed, and that Serj Tankian was seriously fucked off that the crowd showed no respect to DEP whatsoever. Not surprised really, (I like SOAD), but I can imagine thier fans being fanboy-esque.

Check them out on CD, they aren't as all over the place as you think they are, plus thier voccalist has changed.

I'm still not exactly sure how bands like Breaking Benjamin or Papa Roach could be considered "nu-metal" and then throwing in Slipknot and Linkin Park into that same category.  None of those four bands even sound remotely similar to each other in the slightest fucking bit.  I could throw these bands CDs into random genre bins at the record store and come out with more accuracy.  I really hate trying to label what is what anymore because everyone changes their style up.  So I'll just say it's still Rock n Roll to me bitches.

May is too far for more NIN!  But in all honesty, I'm even more excited about a new tour than the album because when I saw NIN in 2000, it was better than sex.  Well, better than sex with myself.  Tristy, any news on a tour yet other than the vague New Year's Eve message?

It's like watching a story unfold. You know, a lot of bands have the talent of making an entire album feel like a collective story, but NIN can blend any of their songs together in a 90-120 minute set and make it feel like a new album. It's un-fucking believable...

lots of pretty lights too.

If you want to see a NIN show, buy the And All That Could Have Been DVD. Even if Trent was sick on virtually the whole tour, it's still a kick-ass performance, so one can only imagine what it's like when he's at 100%.