Guitar

lazy_arse

Basically I've been thinking for a while about starting to play a musical instument and I've now decided I fancy learning to play the guitar, but just need a few questions answered.

How much would I be looking at to buy an accoustic guitar? Nothing too flashy, just something for beginners.

How easy is it to actually learn to play? Will I need to get tuition or is it something that I can just pick up myself and learn slowly?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Guest Cashmiesta

Yeah, but I know you can get a beginners from Argos from £30 I think. I went straight into Electric Guitar and I got some good support from family and they got me a few books.

It's easier on Accoustic especially with nylon strings cos they don't cut into yer fingers!

Mitch

I've been playing guitar for about 6 months now. My first guitar was the encore acoustic out of the Argos catalogue, its great for beginners and only cost me £35. I suggest you look into it and give it a try.

Guitar isnt easy to pick up by any means, one thing you need to do is take it a step at a time and not aim to high. You can teach yourself, but you kinda need some idea of what to do and where to look for stuff. Just google it and you'll get some decent starter material.

You can get a decent beginner acoustic for around £50 that will last a long time.

If I were you, I'd definately get lessons. When I wanted to learn guitar I got lessons for the first couple years, they were great... I learned so much. You can learn a lot more by playing guitar with someone better than you, than by playing on your own.

So, in conclusion, definately try to get some one-on-one lessons.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I bought a cheap acoustic, locked myself in my room for 4 weeks and tried to teach myself, when the 4 days were up I still couldn't play, but at least I had that unhealthy addiction to masturbation.

Teach yourself with books, its slow but more rewarding, and its cheap.

Guest Bluesman

I don't really think that learning from books is more rewarding... you'll learn a lot faster with lessons, and therefore won't get frustrated and quit early. Really, you could just take enough lessons to get the basics down pat, then teach yourself once you can learn tabs and stuff.

I tried to teach myself for weeks, I've had 4 guitar lessons now and I've already learnt so much more than I could out of any book or tutorial I've read.

Mine cost £25 for an hour and a half, it costs but I think it's definitely been worth it because I can already play along with some music I like, change chords, play bar chords etc, which just wasn't happening when I tried to do it on my own.

Though I'd guess self-teaching works for some people, just not for me.

Edited by supergrass

I tried to teach myself for weeks, I've had 4 guitar lessons now and I've already learnt so much more than I could out of any book or tutorial I've read.

Mine cost £25 for an hour and a half, it costs but I think it's definitely been worth it because I can already play along with some music I like, change chords, play bar chords etc, which just wasn't happening when I tried to do it on my own.

Though I'd guess self-teaching works for some people, just not for me.

i don't know if this has been said or not, but you seem to want it to be easy so..

i don't play guitar, but most of my friends do.. and they'll pretty much all agree that electric guitar is easier than acoustic.. i found this out after reading a John Fogerty interview and he said it