Damon to lose the Caveman look

sahyder1

BOSTON -- Johnny Damon plans to lose the caveman look for charity.

The Red Sox center fielder said Monday he'll shave the beard he's had since the offseason to benefit the Boston public libraries' reading and tutoring programs for youngsters.

The Gillette Co., based in Boston, will provide the funds for the programs, Damon said before the Red Sox played Cleveland. A call seeking comment from Gillette was not returned Monday.

"Gillette told me to pick out an organization" to help, said Damon, who believes his shaving will take place May 21. He plans to keep his hair at shoulder length.

"Gillette's the leading shaving brand anyway, so they're not too concerned" about providing funds for the programs, Damon said. "They don't have to do this but they want to."

Damon said he's not getting paid for his participation.

The reading program is geared to making sure students can read by the time they're in third grade, he said. Money also will go to a program for students to go to public libraries for help with homework.

Damon was thinking of getting rid of the beard anyway.

"It's starting to get hot," he said. "It's looking sloppy. I can always grow it back in two weeks."

Damon reported to spring training in February with long hair that he hadn't cut for more than a year. He also had the beard, which he has trimmed since then.

When he arrived in Fort Myers, Fla., Damon talked about his unusual after-dark training regime: racing cars on the Orlando street where he lives, which has a 25 mph speed limit.

"Once a car starts coming, I'll just race it to my house," he said. "I scare the cars to speed up a little more, seeing a caveman-looking guy with long hair running at 10 or 11 at night."

Might his next shaving experience lead to commercials for Gillette?

"Hopefully, there's future things with them," Damon said. "It would be nice."

After all that.. at least he put it towards a good cause. (Y)

Guest bruins72

I think the whole Captain Caveman look works. It's something different than everyone else out there. I can imagine it's starting to get pretty hot though. The Boston area hasn't even begun to heat up though, so it's going to get worse. Smart move to shave it and even better that a charity benefits from it.

The Boston area athletes are always doing something for a charity. Troy Brown (NE Patriots WR) is doing a big bingo game (remember his United Way commercial?) for charity later this week.

NOOOOOOOOOO! Damon has become my favorite player soley based on his hair and beard. Thank god he's not cutting the hair though. He's the man. And about racing cars. :lol: This guy is great. He's the best. I thought I remember him saying something earlier in the year when he was asked about his offseason training he said, "Yea, if you consider doing a push up for each beer you drink, yea I've been working out." :lol:

I thought he looked like Jesus too not a caveman. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Same here, we thought he secretly played Jesus in Passion of the Christ. Oh well at least he's doing it for charity. Maybe he can spend that money to get out of Boston, the worst city in the league

Guest Locutus of Borg

I think he should let the hair grow until the All-Star break, then shave it off and donate the hair to Locks of Love. Grow the hair out again until the end of the season, shave, donate to Locks of Love. Grow and repeat. Gets to have the caveman look and then can donate to a good cause.

Guest bruins72

He's just shaving the beard, not his hair. He says he's keeping the long hair for now. It's taken him ages to grown (since the end of last season) and he's afriad he won't be able to do it again.