My precious TechTV

Corizzle

yeah, it's pretty weird now.

i was watching it last night at 3 in the morning, and this guy was talking to a RPG character about how someone slayed his brother.

wasn't even stupidly funny. just stupid.

Guest Mr McFarlane

The only G4 show I can tolerate (Judgement Day dosen't count since it's Reviews on the Run) is Icons.

The one where they tell stories about random video game shit like the making of tetris or Electronic Arts.

Everything else can suck my hairy white ass.

On a scale of 0-100%

Angry Kou is 100% angry at G4/Comcast, And if I win the lottery.

I'm buying G4TechTV and making it good again, Not just for me.

Not just for the EWB people, But for geeks around the world! =P

Guest bruins72

cause x-play wouldn't be good if morgan and adam left.

I could do without that twit, Adam. He acts like he's on some show geared towards toddlers. Morgan Webb is a goddess though.

well it looks lie hings may get worse for the ttech tv fans

if things go as stated in this article then most of the techtv shows that were kept will recieve new hosts :angry::o if this happens I will without a doubt stop watching the channel. and man the techtvfans are really letting the g4 fans have it on the official forums :D

FROM THE DESK OF DAVID POGUE

A Lamentation for TechTV

Published: June 3, 2004

It’s a fact of high-tech life: things move fast. Don’t fall too much in love with anything, because it might not be here this time next year.

Like Sony’s innovative Clié palmtops, which Sony announced this week that it will no longer sell in the U.S.

Or like TechTV, a cable station dedicated to technology lovers. For years, I’ve regularly TiVo’ed several of its shows—especially “The Screen Savers,” “Call for Help” and “TechLive”—and then, by fast-forwarding, cherry-picked the best tips, tricks, news, trends, and Web links. I learned something new every time.

Last Friday, TechTV as we know it disappeared. It was swallowed up by Comcast, the cable-TV giant, who has merged TechTV with its own G4 channel (all video games, all the time).

The new, combined channel, called G4TechTV, will include some of TechTV’s shows in a new form. But several shows have been canceled, including “Call for Help” and “Tech Live,” and the hosts of the remaining shows may be replaced. The timing couldn’t be worse. After struggling for years to get into the channel lineups of the nation’s cable and satellite providers, TechTV was finally making some headway and building a following. (The Times wrote about “Call for Help” as recently as December, in a story about its live, 24-hour “Help-a-Thon.”)

But for whatever reason, Microsoft co-founder and billionaire Paul Allen, whose Vulcan Programming company owned TechTV, put the channel up for sale. (Insert joke about Paul Allen needing the cash here.)

Comcast is trying to put a bright spin on things, proclaiming “G4techTV will be the one and only network that is plugged into every dimension of games, gear, gadgets & gigabytes.”

But behind the press release, you’ll find a lot of very unhappy people. For starters, there are the 285 TechTV staffers whose jobs are being eliminated.

Then there are “The Screen Savers” (TSS) fans, who already miss original host Leo Laporte since his departure a couple of months ago, and may soon see the departure of his co-host, Patrick Norton. (A G4TechTV spokesman says only that the new channel is “in negotiations with several TechTV hosts.”)

One laid-off employee told me that in pursuit of the young male demographic, Comcast has an incentive to replace these veteran computer-industry personalities with twentysomethings.

If that’s true, I worry that we won’t be seeing any more of TSS’s trademark interviews with brilliant—but over-30—industry pioneers like Jef Raskin, Robert Moog, Don Norman and Douglas Engelbart.

In fact, you have to wonder what interviews and cutting-edge demos they’ll offer at all, since Comcast is moving what’s left of TechTV from San Francisco (high-tech country) to L.A. (video-game country).

Then there’s the new Web site, G4TechTV.com, which is a blinking, pulsing organizational disaster. Its chaos doesn’t say much for the show’s new guardians, although the G4TechTV spokesman reminded me that the two channels merged only last Friday, on a holiday weekend. He assured me that the Web site will constantly improve.

The real tragedy is that a merged gamer-PC channel might not be any more likely to succeed than two separate channels did; in fact, you might argue that the combined channel will disappoint both constituencies equally. As one disappointed fan wrote on G4’s feedback board: “They think they can attract a larger, younger demographic by just putting on younger faces. These people, however, will not feel the pinch until the ratings plummet down the road. It happened where I worked before.

“These fools would let an aging Robin Williams go to bring in Carrot Top. We can only hope that these short-sighted morons realize the errors of their ways and bring back Leo Laporte before the ratings take a nose-dive to the point where they decide to cancel G4/TechTV altogether.”

In fact, G4TechTV is indeed in negotiations with Mr. Laporte about an increased role at the new network. Meanwhile, G4TechTV exhorts viewers to give the new channel a try, send feedback at its Web site, and be patient; the merged network will “constantly improve” over the next 12 months.

That may be so—but in the short term, at least, I’ll miss my old on-screen friends at TechTV.

I heard about this, when G4 "forces" all the TechTV shows to move to LA in July a lot of the hosts said they would have to quit and not leave San Fran, including a lot of TSS and the Fresh Gear hosts. This would be my final straw and I would be forced to quit watching the channel all together.

yeah if it goes as plan , yoshi , and probabaly kat will be hosting Screensavers , casue from the looks patrick doesn't want to move and the guys at g4 thnk he's too old they are looking for young faces for hosts. I really think all the tech tv shows , x-play being the exception , will get new hosts . the only reason their not gettign rid of adam and morgan is becasue in their eyes X-play is like the major show on tech -tv .. I like x-play alot but its no where nere the best techtv show..

at the official forums a bunch of techtv fans are trying to start a petition for g4 to release all techtv's shows so they can be picked up by another station . . I don't think this is a good idea just like the merger wasn't a good idea but it had to happen so g4 should have at least respected the techtv viewers . I mean how many tech tv shows have been carried over ? about 5- 10 shows .. and they completely wiped the techtv site . all the archives of computer help and downloads of the day gone..

Comcast is really screwing up they g4 is the best channel ever when infact it isn't , they'll lose alot of viewers if it keeps on like this.