The greatest album ever?

Guest Lucifer

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I dislike these 'greatest' topics is because they are usually so biased with people just going on about what there favourite albums are instead. Luckily for me, my favourite albums are the ones I think are some of the best ever :P

Madonna - Immaculate Collection

Argubly the greatest female to ever grace the music business, so she obviously must have done some amazing stuff to be seen like she is. I think this album is just amazing from nearly start to finish. A tonne of her great early hits on it, the hits that made her recognised as one of the best. You had tracks like 'Holiday' which was pretty huge, plus 'Like a virgin', 'Material Girl' and more. Just so many massive songs on it. You also had 'Into the groove' which just has an amazing beat and shows Madonna at her best. Also my two favourites, 'Like a prayer' and 'Vogue'. Another two amazing songs, with Vogue having an amazing sound to it where it could get nearly anyone dancing, just had something so great about it. Cant really say much more, just for me I see it as one of the best albums there's been.

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall

I was going to say his debut album instead, but I had to go with this one simply because it was so damn big back then and just amazing. You had around about five to six hits where not big but just massive still to this day. There's not much more I can say because the songs like 'Billie Jean' and 'Thriller' speak for themselves. Just a pure amazing album.

The reason I dislike these 'greatest' topics is because they are usually so biased with people just going on about what there favourite albums are instead. Luckily for me, my favourite albums are the ones I think are some of the best ever  :P

Madonna - Immaculate Collection

Argubly the greatest female to ever grace the music business, so she obviously must have done some amazing stuff to be seen like she is. I think this album is just amazing from nearly start to finish. A tonne of her great early hits on it, the hits that made her recognised as one of the best. You had tracks like 'Holiday' which was pretty huge, plus 'Like a virgin', 'Material Girl' and more. Just so many massive songs on it. You also had 'Into the groove' which just has an amazing beat and shows Madonna at her best. Also my two favourites, 'Like a prayer' and 'Vogue'. Another two amazing songs, with Vogue having an amazing sound to it where it could get nearly anyone dancing, just had something so great about it. Cant really say much more, just for me I see it as one of the best albums there's been.

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall

I was going to say his debut album instead, but I had to go with this one simply because it was so damn big back then and just amazing. You had around about five to six hits where not big but just massive still to this day. There's not much more I can say because the songs like 'Billie Jean' and 'Thriller' speak for themselves. Just a pure amazing album.

Shit, sorry about that. I was going to say 'Off the wall' but in the end went with 'Thriller' so I must have forgot to change that title bit. Like you said though, not all that many songs on it and yet most of them were all massive. Although I have to say, that song with Paul I dislike a little or maybe it's just because I don't like the video that much.

Led Zeppelin IV is the greatest album ever.

Every song on that album is great. It has Black Dog, Rock And Roll, Stairway To Heaven, Misty Mountain Hop, and Going To California. Those are 6 of Zeppelin's biggest hits and Stairway is legandary. It also has Four Sticks which has one of the best drums in history. Then listen to how Plant sings in When The Levee breaks. And finally we've got Battle Of Evermore which is one the greatest acoustic songs ever.

So after that you have to see why Zeppelin VI is the greatest album ever.

I've gotta say it's a close call between 'Tommy' by the Who and 'American Idiot' by Green Day.

I think both albums have a similiar feel in that one song spills into the other and they every last song is brilliant.

The Who are up there with the Beatles as one of the most influental bands of all time, and 'Tommy' is easily one of the most influental albums ever made, so it's pretty easy there.

Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come.

Too me personally. The albums speaks volumes and influenced my life more than any other CD out there. Refused came out and said, "we dance to all the wrong songs" and got us ready for the new noise. They were a punk band who could experiment with techno, jazz and could throw in 8 minute songs. The band stayed together, on the brink of destruction, for the sole purpose of this record. They realized they had to make the greatest record of all time or else. They are everything truly aspiring about a band... confident and not shallow.

When people discuss albums by bands, it leads to fights. Even with with the biggest and baddest. But when people like Refused, they think this is the greatest of there albums. Because there works shows a progression and caps off beautifully at not only The Shape of Punk To Come, but the shape of Music.

Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come.

Too me personally. The albums speaks volumes and influenced my life more than any other CD out there. Refused came out and said, "we dance to all the wrong songs" and got us ready for the new noise. They were a punk band who could experiment with techno, jazz and could throw in 8 minute songs. The band stayed together, on the brink of destruction, for the sole purpose of this record. They realized they had to make the greatest record of all time or else. They are everything truly aspiring about a band... confident and not shallow.

When people discuss albums by bands, it leads to fights. Even with with the biggest and baddest. But when people like Refused, they think this is the greatest of there albums. Because there works shows a progression and caps off beautifully at not only The Shape of Punk To Come, but the shape of Music.

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans

This was just the seminole piano jazz album, and one that transcends sub-genres. Although it has infinite mainstream appeal, the music maintains it's technical integrity, as any album by the greatest pianist of the 20th century should. His stuff with Stan Getz was phenomenal, and the last album You Must Believe In Spring was tragically brilliant, but with tracks like "Minority", "Peace Piece" and "Night and Day", "Everybody Digs" ranks as my personal favorite.

Guest Wrestling_Man

Damn, so many good albums on my list.

Highway to Hell by AC/DC. In my opinion, this album is BETTER then Back in Black but that album is remembered more then HTH because of the songs on there, but if your a die hard AC/DC fan like me, this album is either at or near the top of the list. So many great songs, just excellent.

Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses. Maybe the greatest debuting album by anybody in the history of music. It's got 12 songs that are there for the people who like the nice songs like "Sweet Child O' Mine" or the songs that are dirty and metal like "Mr. Brownstone."

Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest. Maybe there best album, just great songs, great writing with songs like "Electric Eye" and "You've Got Another Thing Coming" and some underrated songs like "Fever", "Pain and Pleasure" and more.

Powerslave by Iron Maiden. They did so many great albums, but this one could be the best of them all. Two great songs to start off in "Aces High" and "2 Minutes to Midnight" and then end it with "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", you've got a musical experience.

I'll come up with more later.

For me, it's one of these three:

Led Zeppelin - IV - Has already been spoken about. Fantastic album and can't really add more to what's been said.

The Beatles - Seargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - So many things we take for granted today in records were established on this album. Every single song on the album is a classic. Highlights would be Getting Better which just showcases Lennon and McCartney's differences both in songwriting and life. She's Leaving Home is beautiful. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite is just a strange contrast of simplicity and complexity at the same time. With A Little Help From My Friends is tailor made for Ringo's voice. The greatest Beatles song of all time imo finishes it up with A Day In The Life. Just a total masterpiece in every single way.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass - Some of the most beautiful music ever recorded. I'd Have You Anytime, My Sweet Lord, Isn't It A Pity, Beware of Darkness, All Things Must Pass, I Dig Love... for a double album of 23 songs to all be quality is a feat, but of this quality is insane.

Also have to give an honourable mention to Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy.

Edited by Underage Politician

Guest 12characters

For me, it's one of these three:

Led Zeppelin - IV - Has already been spoken about. Fantastic album and can't really add more to what's been said.

The Beatles - Seargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - So many things we take for granted today in records were established on this album. Every single song on the album is a classic. Highlights would be Getting Better which just showcases Lennon and McCartney's differences both in songwriting and life. She's Leaving Home is beautiful. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite is just a strange contrast of simplicity and complexity at the same time. With A Little Help From My Friends is tailor made for Ringo's voice. The greatest Beatles song of all time imo finishes it up with A Day In The Life. Just a total masterpiece in every single way.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass - Some of the most beautiful music ever recorded. I'd Have You Anytime, My Sweet Lord, Isn't It A Pity, Beware of Darkness, All Things Must Pass, I Dig Love... for a double album of 23 songs to all be quality is a feat, but of this quality is insane.

Also have to give an honourable mention to Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy.

Edited by 12characters

Guest Bluesman

My support for IV rests not just on the quality of the music (which is important), but also the amazing diversity you have with those tracks. I'll come up with more tomorrow when it's not 3 AM and I'm trying to stave off brain frying from reading/studying too much.

Guest Lucifer

Magnificently stated, sir.

Now tell us why this brilliant piece of aural artwork is so deserving of such grand an honor as your undying praise and loyalty, sir.

Translation:  Content, please.

Edited by Lucifer

Yes there is. For people who have not heard the album, and don't have a good reason to go out and either download it or buy it. I don't think many people are going to take your word for it.

Besides, Midget is gay and will stretch you.

Magnificently stated, sir.

Now tell us why this brilliant piece of aural artwork is so deserving of such grand an honor as your undying praise and loyalty, sir.

Translation:  Content, please.

Well there's no need to explain why All Eyez On Me is the greatest album....wait let me re phrase that I should of said it's one of the greatest albums ever. There is no such thing as a greatest album cause no ones perfect. Besides the album explains it self.

So, essentially...the album's existance justifies is place in the pantheon of Greatest Albums Ever, and needs no introduction for those who are unaware of the content of said disc? In the time it takes to state that, you could have just as easily praised the production value, any innovative ideas, any excellent lyrics...anything about the album. Instead, you said that it is one of the greatest albums ever just because it is All Eyez On Me.

That logic is flawed, sir, and I won't have it.

And since there is no such thing as a "greatest album"..."cause no ones perfect"...this topic is just a bit...un-necessary? Fortunately, in the interest of nit-picking and attempting to avoid it, these fine folks have described albums that -- while they may or may not particularly enjoy or care for -- they feel are among the greatest ever. I ask you, for the third time, to please explain your choice, partially because I am curious and partially because anything less constitutes as postwhoring or generally flawed arguments.

Edit: And ignore Tristy. Ever since the Hottest Women 2005 thread, he's got this strange desire for Midgets and Monks whom are into the Blues.

Edited by The