American Wrestling Association

Boulder

But... Tenay's stats... they were so good :(

I have no plans on ending this diary, but between the longer match write-ups I've decided to use and the way my computer's been acting up lately, updates might not come as frequently as they did in Metamorphosis. In any event, keep the feedback coming!

Here's hoping for a nice, long, Stan Hansen run.

Dear God that would be lovely ... of course, in my mind I've already built up a Hansen/Hennig fued as a clash of "progression" in the business, but that's just me.

You can make Tenay work as long as YOU develop him and don't use him as "today" ... Now that I think about it, this could be a challenge for you that isn't present in MANY of the diaries that are attempted. You now have the challenge of developing a NON wrestler, and making him believable despite our present knowledge of him.

:lol: Good luck with that .... *wub*

January 16, 1986

ALL STAR WRESTLING

Mike Tenay: Welcome to AWA’s All Star Wrestling! I’m Mike Tenay, and beside me is Eric Bischoff. We’ve got a hot night of action, plus more information on our big St. Paul show a week from this Sunday!

Eric Bischoff: That’s right, Mike, and the only way to see the action is to be there in St. Paul… but we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Tonight- Saito versus Windham!

Mike Tenay: A big match as the situation escalates between Saito and Stan Hansen! Speaking of tense situations, though, we’ve got Shawn Michaels and Scott Hall starting this show off! This match is sure to display some of the bad blood brewing between Hall and Hennig and The Rockers since last week.

Eric Bischoff: And don’t forget, the AWA Board has officially banned all interference from ringside! No Curt Hennig, no Marty Jannetty!

Shawn Michaels versus Scott Hall

Scott Hall got down on his knees and put his fists in the air, mocking his opponent’s stature. However, Michaels quickly sent the overconfident Hall to the mat with a flying forearm and stomped away on him. Hall got to his feet, but Michaels backed him into the corner and started hammering away as the fans went crazy. Their joy was short-lived, though, as Hall blocked a punch and rammed his knee into the gut of Michaels. As Shawn was doubled over, Hall smashed his elbow on the back of the Rocker’s neck. Michaels went down, and Hall stepped on the back of his neck as the referee counted to five. Hall broke the count, lifted Michaels to his feet, and slammed him on the mat with a side suplex. Hall made the cover, but only got two. He got up and pulled Michaels by the hair, then crushed him with a short-arm clothesline. Hall went for Michaels again, but Michaels rolled him up for a two count. Both men popped to their feet, and Michaels gave Hall a drop toe hold, sending him chest-first onto the second rope. Michaels ran across the ring and came back, smashing his leg on Hall. Michaels immediately took Hall over with a back suplex and covered him, but only scored a two. Michaels got up, grabbed Hall’s legs, and rolled over on him, but once again, only scored a two. Both men bridged up and spun around until Hall had Michaels in Piledriver position. Michaels attempted to backdrop Hall, but Hall kept his footing, lifted Michaels up, and connected with the Piledriver. Hall seemed to have the match won, but Michaels managed to get his foot under the ropes right before the referee made the three count. Hall pulled Michaels into the center of the ring and covered him, but this time, he kicked out. Hall got up, and Michaels slowly pulled himself up on the ropes. Hall charged at him with a big boot, but Michaels dodged, and Hall hooked his leg over the top rope. While he struggled, Michaels nailed him with a dropkick, sending Hall to the mat. Michaels scurried up to the top rope and jumped off with a flying clothesline as Hall got to his feet. He connected with Hall and then covered him, scoring the pinfall.

Overall: 66

Crowd: 63

Match: 86

Rating: ***

Match Time: 10:28

Refusal!

Joe Blanchard is standing backstage with an irate Curt Hennig.

Joe Blanchard: Curt Hennig, after what we’ve just seen, this seems like the most appropriate time to ask- what is your response to the challenge Shawn Mich-

Curt Hennig: No! There’s no way! I don’t know who Jannetty and Michaels think they are, but they have no right to stand in the way of the future of the AWA! Michaels got lucky just now! Big deal! Listen to me, Shawn Michaels… be smart. Just turn around, pretend this never happened, and pick a feud with someone else. You boys keep messing with Curt Hennig and Scott Hall, and you’re gonna find that you’re in way over your heads! No dice, Blanchard! I’m doing The Rockers a personal favor, I’m shutting them down!

Overall: 90%

Mike Tenay: And I thought I’d heard everything! Curt Hennig refusing a match with The Rockers for The Rockers’ own good? Give me a break!

Eric Bischoff: I wonder what Hennig’s answer would’ve been if Michaels hadn’t just beaten Hall fair and square in the middle of the ring.

Mike Tenay: Who can tell? On another note, fans, up next we have a new wrestler debuting. Some viewers may be familiar with him, as not only is he a well-traveled professional wrestler, but he also competed in Judo on the Olympic level- he is “Bad News” Allen Coage.

Allen Coage versus The Masked Superstar

The Masked Superstar advanced on Allen Coage, but Coage immediately staggered him with a palm thrust to the chest. Coage followed up with a roundhouse kick to the side of the Superstar’s head, sending him to the canvas. Coage made the cover, but Superstar kicked out with authority. Both men got up, and The Masked Superstar smashed “Bad News” with a double axe handle. Coage stumbled back over to the Superstar, who nailed a back elbow and then slammed him. The Masked Superstar dropped an elbow on Coage and followed up with a cover, but only scored two. Coage got up in time to take a stiff chop from the Superstar, but it seemed to have little effect. Coage nailed Superstar with a powerful chop to the shoulder, then tackled him to the mat and started punching him. The referee managed to break up the brawling, which angered “Bad News,” as he got up and started arguing with him. The Masked Superstar got to his feet and seemed to have a clear shot at the distracted Coage, but “Bad News” spun around and nailed an Enziguri Kick right to the side of Superstar’s head. The three count followed.

Overall: 65%

Crowd: 66%

Match: 80%

Rating: **1/2

Match Time: 6:22

Mike Tenay: Wow, great presence of mind from “Bad News” Allen Coage!

Eric Bischoff: Trust me, Mike, that awareness comes from martials arts experience. “Bad News” has it, and he does a great job of parlaying it into his wrestling.

Revenge

Sensational Sherri walks out into the arena as the fans boo. She takes the AWA Women’s Title off of her waist and holds it up proudly as she gets into the ring.

Mike Tenay: Last time we saw AWA Women’s Champion Sensational Sherri, she had assaulted Magnificent Mimi.

Eric Bischoff: The depravity… it really knows no gender in the AWA!

Sherri takes a microphone out of her belt, and begins to address the crowd.

Sensational Sherri: Shut up! If you don’t start showing your Women’s Champion some respect, I’ll have to do to each and every one of you what I did to Mimi two weeks ago! That bimbo got what was coming to her, and I’d do it again!

While Sherri talks, the crowd starts getting chaotic. Magnificent Mimi is among the audience, and she’s making her way towards the ring!

Mike Tenay: That’s Mimi! She’s heading towards the ring!

Mimi hops the guardrail and gets in the ring as Sherri continues talking.

Sensational Sherri: I said SHUT UP! I’m the champion, and that means I-

Sherri is cut off in mid-sentence as Mimi nails her in the back with a dropkick. Sherri is knocked forward and flies out of the ring between the second and third ropes. The fans go nuts as Mimi triumphantly raises her arms. Sherri gets to her feet and scowls at Mimi from ringside.

Eric Bischoff: A little payback for Sherri’s attack two weeks ago!

Mike Tenay: No way was Mimi just going to let that go!

Overall: 65%

AWA World Tag Team Championship Match: Steve Regal and Jimmy Garvin © versus The Olympians (Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans)

Steve Regal and Ken Patera started things out in this title match. Regal ran at Patera, but he took Regal down with an armdrag. Patera followed up with a bodyslam, then slapped a powerful armlock on the champion. Regal cartwheeled out of it and took Patera down with a drop toe hold. He applied a side headlock, but Patera’s power allowed him to easily get to his feet and suplex Regal. Patera followed up with an elbow drop and covered Regal for two. Patera lifted Regal up, but Regal slid between Patera’s legs, ran to his corner, and tagged Jimmy Garvin in. Jimmy Jam strutted a bit as the fans booed, and then locked up with Patera. Patera got a headlock and took Garvin over, then gave him a legdrop. He tagged out to Rheingans, who came in, lifted Garvin up, and snapmared him over. Rheingans tried to apply a chinlock, but Garvin punched him in the head, got to his feet, and kicked Rheingans in the stomach. Garvin then ran back to the ropes and came back with a kick to the side of Rheingans’s head, laying him out. Garvin tagged Regal, who climbed to the top rope and leveled Rheingans with a double axe handle when he got to his feet. Regal stalked Rheingans until he got to his feet, then took him down with a spinning heel kick. Regal lifted Rheingans up, but Rheingans fired back with lefts and rights, then hit a belly to belly suplex out of desperation. Both men were down, but far closer to the heel corner. Regal managed to tag Garvin, who ran in and dropped a knee on Rheingans before he could reach Patera. Garvin lifted Rheingans to his feet, and while Patera watched, Garvin nailed him with the Jammer. The three count followed, scoring the win for the champions.

Overall: 53%

Crowd: 51%

Match: 67%

Rating: ¾*

Match Time: 11:12

Mike Tenay: An impressive showing by The Olympians, but the champions retain!

Eric Bischoff: Who will the next challengers to these titles be?

Preparation

Masa Saito is shown in his locker room doing push-ups.

Mike Tenay: With only minutes until he meets Stan Hansen’s partner, Barry Windham, Masa Saito is getting himself psyched up.

Eric Bischoff: Saito’s got his mind on the match, that’s for sure.

Saito gets to his feet, slaps his chest a few times, and leaves the room.

Overall: 45%

Determination

Joe Blanchard is standing backstage with Barry Windham.

Joe Blanchard: Barry Windham, your arrival in AWA and your partnership with World Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen make for one of the most surprising developments in wrestling in recent memory. What is on your mind?

Barry Windham: Blanchard, ain’t no need be worried about what I got planned. Fact is, I’m here because Stan Hansen told me that the two of us could run this place, and he’s right. But like I said, you don’t have to worry about that. It’s the AWA wrestlers who have to worry, and the first one is Masa Saito. I wouldn’t dream of robbing Stan Hansen of the pleasure of taking Saito apart, but I will soften him up tonight. And “The Sweetwater Psycho” will take great joy in doing it.

Overall: 71%

Masa Saito versus Barry Windham

Saito and Windham circled each other for a bit, each man aware of the other’s toughness and neither wanting to make the first move. They locked up at the thirty second mark, with Windham’s reach advantage allowing him to get an easy headlock. Saito fired off with a back suplex, and Windham sprung back up to his feet, surprised. They locked up again, but this time, Saito took the upper hand with a fireman’s carry takeover, then fired a hard forearm right between Windham’s shoulder blades. Barry Windham, to his credit, shook off the pain and got to his feet. Saito attempted a whip, but Windham reversed, then caught Saito with a big boot as he returned. Windham covered, but only got two. He then got to his feet and nailed Saito in the forehead with a fistdrop. When Masa Saito got to his feet, blood was pouring from his forehead. Windham rushed at Saito, but Saito backdropped him. He then lifted Windham up, and showing his amazing strength, gave his nearly 300-pound opponent a hanging vertical suplex. Windham had barely hit the ground when Saito scooped him up and gave him a fallaway slam. Saito lifted Windham up again, but Windham gave him a knee to the gut and DDTed him, sending the bloody Saito head first to the canvas. Windham got to his feet and lifted up Saito, then sent him back to the mat with a bulldog. Windham lifted Saito up again, and set him up for another bulldog, but Saito quickly pushed Windham off, grabbed him from behind, and gave him a Saito Suplex. Saito mustered up all his strength and rolled onto Windham, pinning him. As the bell rang, Stan Hansen ran out into the arena and entered the ring. He stalked Saito until he got up, and when he did, Stan Hansen hit a huge Lariat on him. As Saito lay on the mat, Hansen once again spit tobacco juice on him.

Overall: 56%

Crowd: 60%

Match: 67%

Rating: *

Match Time: 9:36

Mike Tenay: A huge win for Saito, but Stan Hansen strikes again!

Eric Bischoff: How long will this continue?

Mike Tenay: There needs to be some order restored to the AWA!

Overall- 63%

Edited by Boulder

January 19, 1986

I pressed the "play" button on my answering machine yet again. Verne Gagne's voice drifted in and out of my head.

"-no recourse-"

"-effective immediately-"

I guess patience wasn't one of the old man's virtues. I slammed my fist down on my counter. There was so much more I would've done. I spent a lot of money over these three weeks, but I was prepared to make it back. I guess I pissed off a lot of people, too, but it was all going to be worth it. Now, though, there would be no redemption.

Verne would turn around one day and realize he made a mistake. I was sure of it. And I promised to myself that my days in the wrestling industry weren't over. This was a bitter pill to swallow, though. My only comfort was that I got to get the hell out of Minnesota.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Yep, I got fired. Pretty damned embarassing to happen after such a short time. My shows had low ratings, and the NWA was whipping us. It was interesting while it lasted, though. Thanks for reading.

**Mopes back into the shadows**

Edited by Boulder

thegodcomplex 

Saved warn logs: thegodcomplex

Warned by Notes

thegodcomplex Warned on Today, 05:09 PM

Added to warn level:

Postwhoring in Boulder's Now DEAD Diary...BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

TGC

PDTGC

Edited by thegodcomplex

Bastard .... that was just the general thought.

Can't wait to see how you get back at Verne for firing you and .... :shifty: this isn't a work ?

Seriously though .... I REALLY wish this wasn't dying. I'd have loved to see the AWA war between you and TP.

• 1 year later...