Getting good at fighting games.

apsham

Alright, this is hard, and it takes a bit of time. The key is though, to find a character you really like, and try to master there fighting style. If you have a friend, or a second controller, just plug it up and put it on 2 P and then just beat the shit out of the opponet who isn't moving, if you have a friend have them react a bit.

Have them defend themselves faster, and faster. You need to do combos, and about everything on the move list you can think of. Start slow, work your way up to the bigger stuff. You'll get it once you've practiced it enough. That's about it, it requires more timing than anything, having to get the timing between buttons. Once you get that down(Which is different in each fighting game somewhat).

Read strategy guides on the character form gamefaqs.com and see how they did it, sometimes they'll offer a bit of strategy.

Good luck, you'll get better with practice, I"m sure. Just hang in there. :thumbsup:

My friend is the sort that stays up all night for a week learning Tekken combos that he never stes the opportunity to pull off anyway. I advise against this technique. :shifty:

I find that it's not so much the remembering of the patterns, but building a feel for what your chosen character can do - i.e. the range of their attacks, style of their moves etc. Just playing around on Practice/Training mode can achieve this. Not wild button mashing though - know what you're pressing when you're experimenting with it. From there you can usually pick up three or four simple moves (like a direction and a kick, into another kick). After playing for a bit longer you'll no doubt come across more, and so on.

At least, I find that works better than staring at character guides or their movelists in the pause menu, mumbling "left, triangle, square, down etc." uselessly to yourself, then completely failing to achieve it two seconds later. Helps you learn more organically, as it were.

And pick Xiao. Xiao is Queen.

Edit: I spotted a typo of the there/their nature. My pride could not let it pass.

Edited by stokeriño

I always hate having to go through combos in the Mortal Kombat games, especially since I almost never use them or only utilize one combo or one "big" move the entire match.

Yeah, I'm an ass like that when it comes to fighting games. I suck at them too.

Guest Future Shock

Firstly, tournament wise, nobody plays T4. They play T5.

Find actual human competition to play against. Playing against the computer can become way too easy, even on the hardest difficulty when you're playing at casual level (if you're good).

Yes, learn the ten hitters. All of them. Why? Because they're usually thrown out at the end of a match as desperation, hoping that they can catch a luck shot and get the win, or to stall.

Learn the mixup game. I ain't going to fucking block low unless you hit me there a couple times. Learn the throws. If you use a multithrow character (someone with a link throw), learn it, and use it like the goddamn gospel.

I'd explain it more, but I'd get kicked in the balls for being a doofus. I'm sure you could probably Google up a couple sites to help you out. Tekkenzaibatsu.com is a good one.

Firstly, tournament wise, nobody plays T4.  They play T5.

Find actual human competition to play against.  Playing against the computer can become way too easy, even on the hardest difficulty when you're playing at casual level (if you're good).

Yes, learn the ten hitters.  All of them.  Why?  Because they're usually thrown out at the end of a match as desperation, hoping that they can catch a luck shot and get the win, or to stall.

Learn the mixup game.  I ain't going to fucking block low unless you hit me there a couple times.  Learn the throws.  If you use a multithrow character (someone with a link throw), learn it, and use it like the goddamn gospel.

I'd explain it more, but I'd get kicked in the balls for being a doofus.  I'm sure you could probably Google up a couple sites to help you out.  Tekkenzaibatsu.com is a good one.

Guest Future Shock

I haven't really been hit with King's multithrows, but Nina's are a bitch. And damnit, I said ten strings were rare~! LISSEN TO ME ROAR~! :P

The top tiers in T5 (if you could call them that) are Nina, Steve, and MAYBE Bryan. If you get stunned on a wall against Steve, you die. and if you get launched, expect at least a 50% combo. That's in the center.

With Virtual fighter 4 it took months to memorize all of Vanessa's moves then it took a few more months of practicing to find the best times to unleash said combos in a fight , I'm undefeated using Vanessa against friends , but with the other characters I stink

I haven't really been hit with King's multithrows, but Nina's are a bitch.  And damnit, I said ten strings were rare~! LISSEN TO ME ROAR~! :P

The top tiers in T5 (if you could call them that) are Nina, Steve, and MAYBE Bryan.  If you get stunned on a wall against Steve, you die.  and if you get launched, expect at least a 50% combo.  That's in the center.

Edited by kale

thats what I love about the game Soul Calibur and VF4 are without a doubt the best fighters imo .

in virtua fighter I like that you could train an ai character and then have it fight against your friend or your friends ai.

in Tekken 5 King's moves are so hard to do , he's always been my favorite character but I get by ass kicked when I choose him so I started practicing with Christy and I've gotten pretty good.

I'm going to get VF4 Evolution soon only $19 and it has new characters and such

Guest Future Shock

Anyways Bryan IS top tier. He does so much damage and he's extremely safe. Also he has a great new low d/b+3 and a brand new 1+2 break throw (f,f+1+2). Not to mention b+1 gives him several frames advantage and if you try and stop his follow ups with a d+1, he can just u/f+4 and crush the d+1 for major damage (the u/f+4 is completely safe too).

I'm pretty good with Hwoarang, but I honestly doubt there's any 'technique' to it. It's not button mashing, but it probably wouldn't stand up to kale or any of these 'professional' tournament types. I could whip Future Shocks ass though. >_>

Considering I'm flying cross countryfor a Tekken 5 tournament...

No.

Geek <_<

I've yet to play Tekken 5, it's not out for aaaaaaages yet. As soon as I get a copy, you and me are having ourselves a little duel, you hear me? >_>

Guest Future Shock

It's not online, otherwise I'd juggle you to all hell with THE STEVINATOR~!

And it's not geeky when first place basically pays for all my travel costs! :P

Anyways Bryan IS top tier. He does so much damage and he's extremely safe. Also he has a great new low d/b+3 and a brand new 1+2 break throw (f,f+1+2). Not to mention b+1 gives him several frames advantage and if you try and stop his follow ups with a d+1, he can just u/f+4 and crush the d+1 for major damage (the u/f+4 is completely safe too).

But is he on the level of Steve and Nina? I'd say Bryan's in upper-mid tier all by himself. Steve can juggle you all the way to Mexico, his wall game is absolutely ridiculous, and if he counter hits you, you are in -deep- shit. Nina, well, Nina's just a bitch. That automatically makes her top tier. Look at Chun Li. :D