What the hell is 989 studios thinking ?

Docpepper

n event held in San Diego over the weekend, 989 Sports, Sony's sports-game subbrand, announced two upcoming PlayStation 2 titles for release later this year. NBA 06, which will be developed internally by Sony Computer Entertainment America, is scheduled for release this fall. Road to Sunday, currently in production by Red Zone Interactive, is scheduled for release this winter.

Dochappy, don't take this personally, but shut the fuck up.

In an industry of clones and sequels and hardware tests they call game of the years, the LAST thing you should do is badmouth a game that has a WTF concept. Sure, their previous football games may suck... but they're trying something new, and even if it sucks, it should not be condemned before it's even released.

Damn kid.

As an aside, what kind of football are we talking about? I assume American, in which case... how the fuck did they get a license, or did they?

no offense taken Sean . I may be jumping the gun and such but their past football games imo are really bad. I don't think it will be license so they can use pro guys and such , so that might give them some artistic freedom.

An artistic idea to say the least but I won't get my hopes up on the game , thoughthee still plenty of time they might be able to pull off an awesome game

No they didn't get a license for the football game as it says you take a fictitious team and work your way from there. I don't remember the story of EA getting the licence of NFL. It might've been the NFL, if it is, then this shouldn't be too bad since this is the only thing they can do to get sales. When it comes to the NFL vs. Miscellaneous Football League, people will choose the NFL. However, if the Miscellaneous Football League has some interesting story twists to it, then some people might pick it up. And with the amount of money they're saving by not having a licence, then they might be able to actually pick up a profit out of this.

The NBA one sounds quite good, although it'd be better to have a choice of positions, and varying goals (e.g. centers would need to focus on blocks and rebounds rather than shots). The American Football one sounds a little out there, but I'll reserve judgement for now. At least someone's daring to be original.

Personally I think both are great concepts. I have always wanted to play a Sims-style sports game where you take a player through a season but also have to keep track of there personal life, these games(as well as Blitz: The League which IMO will probably be better then Road to Sunday) are getting closer and closer to that

They both sound great, first of all.

However, I am more interested in Road To Sunday. Football interests me more and concept seems much fresher. The only thing that turns me off is the fact that it's very possible the game will have the Gameday engine which I was never too much of a fan of.

Guest ch1ppy08

I just want to say that if this idea actually becomes a reality, then they better put some good graphics into that game.

I own MLB 2005 (by 989 Sports), and the graphics are just hideous. I know the graphics don't make the game, but they make about 50% of it, that's for sure.

Guest ch1ppy08

IMO, fighting should only be in fighting(duh), wrestling, RPG, and hockey games. Pick up an old copy of NFL Blitz, and that's close enough to football with fighting.

However, I am more interested in Road To Sunday. Football interests me more and concept seems much fresher. The only thing that turns me off is the fact that it's very possible the game will have the Gameday engine which I was never too much of a fan of.

thats my thinking to . the idea sounds good but I just have a feeling they'll use the gameday engine. also I have a feeling they'll focus one one gameplay mode more then the other , for example they could spend most of their time perfecting the football engine and leave the fighting engine being nothing but bare bones

again it could work out but we'll have to wait and see

They ARE using the Gameday engine. I read it over at IGN.com. Both games are confirmed for Fall and Winter. I think it's NBA 06 and Road To Sunday respectively.

I might check them out..there getting some interest from what I just read...

I hope the NBA 06 doesn't have a stupid thing where if you don't reach the goal in one game you have to play it again..it would be better if the coach just sat you or whatever.