2005 NBA Offseason Topic

Blitz

The reason I think so many high schoolers went in the second round was because of the whole developmental league setup.  The teams in the first round wanted impact instead of projects and that allowed players that were projected as first rounders to fall behind some proven college players.

With Andray Blatche specifically, if I heard the telecast correctly, he pissed off alot of teams by refusing workouts and only having a 30 minute timed interview.  That caused him to drop from where I saw him going (Seattle at #25) all the way to Wizards at #49.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, Pistons should have got Gomes.He's a fucking steal for the draft, the Celtics dominated the draft second year running.An All-American a year ago and had nice stats this year he should have went ahead of Maxiell.Maxiell's got a huge wingspan though, thats why he was picked.

The Bucks will be in the playoffs, if Bogut busts or not.With Ford coming back, Redd, Mason, Gadzuric/Pachiula etc backing up Bogut and Smith, they have all the tools to be in the playoffs.

Redd is not going to Cleveland.He's already said he doesn't want to be the second option (which he will be with Bron), don't be surprized if Bogut plays well, the Bucks will cruise to the playoffs.

Getting Andriev whatever was a great pickup though, he was up as high as to be picked number 3 last year.

Kwame Brown needs to get out of Washington.MJ fucked his career.WAY too much pressure for a HIGH SCHOOL number 1 pick to be a star and play with MJ.He could blossom in Atlanta, or Portland or something.

Luther Head's gonna make some noise on that Houston squad, too.Same with Jarrett Jack going to outplay Seb Telfair.

Free Agent Period has officially started there are obvousily lots of good SG on the market along with some big men. I am looking forward to seeing what happens to some of the bigger name guys like Ray Allen. The Cavs have alot of money and space to work with and I hope that they actually use some of it to get some help for LJ. I am on the fence about signing back Z he is one of the better offensive centers in the East but doesnt play defense 90% of the time. Also I dont think the Bucks will make it this year, I think they will need a year to develop and next year they could compete.

IMO, Pistons should have got Gomes.He's a fucking steal for the draft, the Celtics dominated the draft second year running.An All-American a year ago and had nice stats this year he should have went ahead of Maxiell.Maxiell's got a huge wingspan though, thats why he was picked.

The Bucks will be in the playoffs, if Bogut busts or not.With Ford coming back, Redd, Mason, Gadzuric/Pachiula etc backing up Bogut and Smith, they have all the tools to be in the playoffs.

Redd is not going to Cleveland.He's already said he doesn't want to be the second option (which he will be with Bron), don't be surprized if Bogut plays well, the Bucks will cruise to the playoffs.

Getting Andriev whatever was a great pickup though, he was up as high as to be picked number 3 last year.

Kwame Brown needs to get out of Washington.MJ fucked his career.WAY too much pressure for a HIGH SCHOOL number 1 pick to be a star and play with MJ.He could blossom in Atlanta, or Portland or something.

Luther Head's gonna make some noise on that Houston squad, too.Same with Jarrett Jack going to outplay Seb Telfair.

I only say that about Jack because IMO Telfair ain't gone be shit....And PP is gonna be gone from Beantown....damn, look at that core, Perkins/Jefferson/West/Allen/Banks/Green/Gomes thats without adding in Ricky Davis, and PP right now....If only Ainge didn't fuck up by giving Blount that contract, they don't even NEED to get equal value for Pierce, could package him and Blount to keep their cap alright...That shits on the Baby Bulls core, which looks shaky as fuck if Curry leaves.

I could see Cuttino Mobley as a great pickup for the Cavs, thats who they should take, IMO.They'll have alot extra if they get Mobley, and resign Z., they should be able to get a decent PG like Watson or Jackson or someone like that.

Raja Bell has a verbal commitment to the Suns, who are also looking at picking up Michael Finley when he gets cut from Dallas, trying to get him to come back to Phoenix and trade out Jim Jackson and Jake Voskuhl for Gadzuric from the Bucks (or something like this, anyway) to make the room for him.Suns are making SERIOUS moves and could be in the finals with all the smart choices they've made, getting Thomas, agreement with Bell...possibly Fins...damn, they're squad is gonna be good...

Personally, I think Mobley should head to Charlotte. He's a great leader and roleplayer who could greatly help their youthfulness.

Bronnie wants Curry in Cleveland and you know there are teams who will throw the World at Tyson Chandler, so that Bulls core could definately be in trouble.

I'd like to see Antonio Daniels head to Cleveland just because he has the capabilities to play the one and two. Him and Bronnie in the backcourt would have a level of versatility that could be interesting.

Does anyone know what the Salary Cap is scheduled to be at this upcoming season.

Shaq is owed 30 million dollars.

And that would leave approximatly 15 million left for the rest of the team.

Now I know he wouldn't use his ETO, but how can Miami stay competitve with Shaq eating all the cap room.

Guest Bluesman

A Suns deal for Gadzuric could be huge, as IIRC he is the fastest C in the league. You don't have to be terribly skilled offensively when no one is around to guard you...

Again, not happy with the Wolves picks. This FA class is loaded with SG's, which means that such a saturated market will likely lead to guys taking less money, or choosing to go places they normally wouldn't. They essentially drafted the same player twice. Kudos to McHale and Company for once again demonstrating why it took years and years for KG to get out of the first round...

The Bucks have already offered the max to Redd. With Ford coming healthy (as it sounds) and adding Bogut (who is instantly made better by the lack of quality C's) the Bucks quite likely make a push for the playoffs...contrary to what dipships Anthony and Smith claimed. 2 Seasons ago they got to the playoffs with almost the same team, and now you're adding Bogut and Redd is a better player and they don't have a shot at the playoffs in THE EAST? Bullshit.

I've heard differing things about Allen. Some have said that the Sonics have a set amount they will pay (it isn't the max) and he may leave. Others have said he will stay because they are keeping McMillian and the core of the team intact. Maybe he'd like to finally play for the Wolves after being drafted by them...

As far as Curry and Chandler go, one interesting suggestion I read had a team with oodles of cap space (Atlanta?) tossing huge deals to both of them, almost certain that Chicago can only pay one. They then get the one the Bulls decide not to pay.

The first high schooler drafted by the Pistons was Korleone Young, IIRC.

Miami could make some noise. If Finley is cut (as it sounds) he would fit in nicely at SF as the #3 guy. They resign Damon Jones and Haslem, as well as having Simien, and they could be much better next year.

The Celts could be major players as well. As someone mentioned, they have alot of options with what to do with Pierce. Maybe the 2nd year in a row of failing to get a high pick (evidently they tried moving him this year, too) will push Ainge to make the move. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wolves uniform...

Earlier I read that Payton is heading to the Western Conference, which surprised the hell out of me (I heard he wanted to say with the Celts?). Can anyone shed a little light on this?

I heard Seattle's gonna throw some dollars at Payton for him to go home.

Ray Allen to the Clippers is another rumour going well, which would put them very high IMO, with a lineup of Kaman/Brand/Maggette/Allen/Livingston with Jaric and Wilcox off the bench... they could make some noise in the West...

Willie Green has been contacted by the Jazz, since Raja Bell is all but gone to the Suns...and Portland also contacted the Celtics to try and get Green just before they picked him for the two later picks which turned out to be Klieza and Jarret Jack.

Knicks are targeting Swift and Kwame Brown, Nets want Keyon Dooling as a combo guard, Magic want Rahim to pair with Howard, Antoine Walker has been contacted to play for Houston, and Mobley by the Nuggets.

Well Allen signed back with the Sonics which isnt a total surprise since they were offering him more money and a extra year. Nothing else is really happening yet on the market. Redd is expected to come to Cleveland within the week and as early as tommorrow to talk with the team. The fact that he didnt sign with the Bucks right away does give some hope although it just may be false hope right now. If they arent able to get one of the upper tier SG's(Redd, Johnson, Hughes) they should just get some cheaper guys and save money till next year although I am not sure who will be avalibale next year.

Guest Bluesman

Horry to stay with Spurs

Johnson receives offer from Suns, and is considering it

Rockets are going to have discussions with Swift

SAR is going to continue looking at his options after his NJ visit.

Well Michael Redd is in town today and the Cavs are going to make their pitch to him. Whomever he choses I hope he choses soon so that if the Cavs dont pick him up they have enough time to look at one of teh other guys on the SG market. Also the summer league in Las Vegas starts today and runs through July 15, nothing big just may get to see how some of the guys play.

I went to the SLC Rocky Mountain Revue back in 2003 when I lived in Colorado.

I thought they were fun, but I am a basketball diehard, so the average fan might not enjoy the summer camps.

I got Carmelo Anthony's autograph there, but the day we went, LeBron "had the day off"

Yeah I am pretty surprised that Mcmillan went to Portland, one he been there his whole carrer player/coach and also he would have just got back his star player in Allen. I do understand though he really didnt want to work for an owner like the one they had in Seattle that sometimes may not be willing to spend the kinda of money he would want so he would have a good team to coach. And what happens to Allen is up in the air cause he did agree to terms but it is all verbal so he can still back out saying he was hoping to be on a team coached my McMillan.

Espn.com is reporting that Redd is going back to the Bucks so that shoots down the Cavs #1 option but they still have a few guys that they can turn to. Johnson who is unlikely since the Suns said they would match any offer, Hughes a little better possibilty since he is unrestricted and his talks with the Wiz havent gone that great yet and the last guy that is being talked about is the Clippers Simmions who is probaly the best possibilty right now but the Cavs willl try and go after the other two first I am guessing. If they somehow dont get any of these three, I would hope they dont throw money at lower tier FA and rather just save some of the money to spend next summer.