2005 NBA Offseason Topic

Blitz

Ginobili’s Soccer-Style Flops Have No Place In The NBA

Authored by Hunter Johannason - 1st June, 2005 - 11:27 pm

I’d like to start this column off with a few disclaimers.

1. I enjoy watching Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs . He is Sarunas Marciulionis Version 2.0, except new and improved and a higher skiled player. He is one of the toughest players I have ever seen…on the offensive end (well not entirely, I just now watched a play in which he drove the hole, incurred a touch foul, and flailed his arms in the air as if the world was ending.

2. I love the sport of Soccer, or as the rest of the world calls it, football (for the sake of continuity, I will refer to the sport as Soccer throughout the remainder of this piece). Being that I grew to 6’6” I was more suited for Basketball, however, I enjoy the sport of Soccer and was even part of the bandwagon of US fans who awoke early to see the United States team lose to Germany in the year 2002 World Cup. A very enjoyable match I must say.

With those disclaimers on the record, this column can officially begin.

There has been an anger building up inside of me, a great frustration and annoyance that should not be.

As I write this, there is a disease spreading throughout the NBA and while it has been going on since the league’s conception, it is more prevalent now than ever. I am talking about the infliction known as excessive flopping. Big NBA bodies flying across the hardwood after incidental touches and strong gusts of air. The site of an elbow or any kind of tough grinding play is now sending players sprawling before contact is even made. At the top of my list sits Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs , my public enemy #1.

My frustration with flopping finally came out in a subdued-quasi-Pabst-filled rage that took place at the end of Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals. The last two minutes of the Phoenix Suns fight for survival saw Manu Ginobili make extremely difficult plays on the offensive end, each drive displaying a toughness that does not seem to fit his smaller body. But on the defensive end it was another story as I was forced to watch Ginobili violently twist his head at weird angles, his hair whipping to and fro, while his body would launch several feet in the air. And this is before the contact.

Anyone watching Game 4 remembers the Amare Stoudemire rebound at the end of the game, a crucial board that was immediately followed by a bear hug from Ginobili which resulted in the well-built youngster clearing the ball, and Ginobili with him. For a regular person with Manu’s build and toughness this act would have launched them back a bit. For this Argentian actor, it sent him sprawling across the key in a flop very reminiscent of the flops seen so frequently in any given soccer match. The only thing Ginobili neglected to do was to hold his knee in agony as if he were about to die. This knee-clutch would then be followed by a quick pop back up to his and a sprint down the court as if nothing ever happened. At least we were spared that.

During the next possession, a loose ball, Ginobili dives for it in a great display of hustle and heart, however in the dive, he manages to commit a foul which was never called, contort his neck awkwardly and wince in pain, as if somehow, the Suns player in front of him had miraculously caused him to fall that way.

Now, in this particular case, I must give credit to the referees. They made the right calls and did not let Ginobili’s acting influence the game…too much. But, the fact remains, Ginobili does get a lot of calls his way after flailing in the air like a dove with broken wings. And this is spreading, because winning is everything, and if flopping helps a player win, he will inevitably do it because if he doesn’t, his opponents will.

To combat this plague, I propose a rule similar to an amendment that was added for the 2002 World Cup making it official that if a player flagrantly flops in an attempt to cause a foul and as a result, land a free-kick, they are given a yellow-card instead.

This new rule wasn’t entirely effective, but it did make the players think a bit. So, the next time Ginobili thinks about contorting his body into a mangled heap to draw a foul, he will have to be pretty sure there will be contact, lest he be given a technical.

This rule would not end flopping in the NBA; however, it would make players aware that if they are too blatant, too often, they will start getting technical’s on a regular basis.

Nice players who often flop would find themselves with more T’s at the end of the year than Rasheed Wallace in his Portland days. Seriously! The most prominent floppers would be on every referee’s hit list and would have to eventually clean up their act.

Just so it does not look like I am picking on Manu Ginobili only, here are just a few others on my NBA’s most wanted list, Floppers Division.

- Seattle Supersonics center Danny Fortson – How is it that the thickest/strongest guy on the court manages to fall down so easily so often?

- San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker – His flops are no doubt a result from watching numerous soccer matches while living in France.

- Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson – This is a tough one, while I do recognize that he plays harder than anybody in the league while also being one of the most undersized players, there are many times when I see him hit the ground on a drive when there was very minimal contact, if any at all.

- Former Utah Jazz forward Karl Malone – See Danny Fortson.

Edited by Jester of Death

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonics Close To A Deal With McMillan

- 06/04 - 9:02 AM EST

Sonics coach Nate McMillan is likely going to stay put in Seattle.

The two sides are said to be close to an agreement on a new multi-year deal.

"The terms of a deal are not yet known, but a source indicated that negotiations that began less than a week ago have gone well enough that McMillan could come to terms by Sunday night."

In other Sonics news, the team is also working on a new contract for GM Rick Sund.

The Sonics have made an offer but talks have been placed on hold while a deal is worked out with McMillan.

Both McMillan and Sund's contracts expire on June 30.

Buyout Might Force Splitter To Pull Out Of Draft

7th June, 2005 - 11:00 am

SI.com - Tiago Splitter appears to be leaning towards pulling out of the June 28 NBA Draft because of a large contract buyout he has in this contract with his current team Tau Ceramica.

Splitter's agent, Herb Rudoy, said the buyout clause would likely force his client to pull out of the draft.

"We have a big problem [with the buyout]," Rudoy said. "We're working on it, but very likely he's not going to get out.

• 2 weeks later...

Curry optimistic that sides close to tentative proposal

ESPN.com news services

With a July 1 NBA lockout date looming, the president of the NBA Players' Association said Friday he's hopeful that owners and players will have a framework for a new six-year collective bargaining agreement in place by the weekend.

With talks resuming at an undisclosed location in New York, Michael Curry told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that he is optimistic that the sides might reach a tentative proposal that each side could present to its constituents next week for approval.

Curry did not provide details on what the framework would include, but he described the tenor of the talks as "good."

"Having been through this before, I was optimistic that we could get a deal done in time," said Curry, who was part of the negotiations that resulted in the last collective bargaining deal in 1999, which followed a lockout.

The collective bargaining agreement is set to expire June 30, after which, a lockout would begin.

Curry told Bucher that he knew "it would simply take getting to the 11th hour. We're now at the 11th hour."

According to Curry, the players attending Friday's meeting included himself, Antonio Davis and Pat Garrity. Curry said the team executives at the meeting were Wyc Grousbeck, managing partner of the Boston Celtics; Steve Mills, president and CEO of MSG Sports (representing the New York Knicks); Les Alexander, owner of the Houston Rockets; and Lewis Katz, owner of the New Jersey Nets.

Friday's meeting, which included NBA commissioner David Stern and players' association director Billy Hunter, was the first since June 1, when the sides met for 2½ hours at the union's offices in New York.

"We made significant progress today and tonight," NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said in a statement. "We will convene again in small groups over the course of the weekend and will reconvene the larger group on Tuesday morning."

The past two weeks have been marked by public posturing from both sides, with the latest salvo coming Wednesday when Hunter traveled to the NBA Finals in Detroit to explain his side of the story as to why talks have been stalled.

Hunter said he would call Stern before the current labor agreement expires, and that call apparently was made Thursday. The sides have engaged in on-and-off talks throughout the late winter and spring.

On Wednesday, Hunter said he surmised from Stern's public comments last Sunday that only three issues remain in dispute -- an age limit for rookies, a tougher drug-testing program and the maximum length of long-term contracts, but deputy commissioner Russ Granik said Hunter's assumption was incorrect.

Owners are known to be seeking several other changes to current rules, including a new luxury tax (dubbed a "supertax") for the highest spending teams, reductions in the size of annual salary increases in long-term contracts, a shortened rookie wage scale and adjustments to the so-called trigger percentages that activate the escrow and luxury taxes designed to curtail spending on player salaries.

Stern did not reference those items when he addressed the media before Game 2 of the Finals, though he did go into detail about where the owners stand on the other items. He said the league wants the minimum age raised to 19, the maximum contract length reduced from seven years to six, and an anti-drug agreement that would call for veterans to be tested year-round. Currently, veterans are tested only once per year, during training camp.

Credit to espn.com for this bit of news.

This is good news for NBA fans. I shudder to think of a sports world without the NBA. I really hope these guys aren't just blowing smoke up our asses, and that they actually can work something out by July 1st. The idea of the NBA being locked out (again) would be quite depressing for me.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Curry optimistic that sides close to tentative proposal

ESPN.com news services

With a July 1 NBA lockout date looming, the president of the NBA Players' Association said Friday he's hopeful that owners and players will have a framework for a new six-year collective bargaining agreement in place by the weekend.

With talks resuming at an undisclosed location in New York, Michael Curry told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that he is optimistic that the sides might reach a tentative proposal that each side could present to its constituents next week for approval.

Curry did not provide details on what the framework would include, but he described the tenor of the talks as "good."

"Having been through this before, I was optimistic that we could get a deal done in time," said Curry, who was part of the negotiations that resulted in the last collective bargaining deal in 1999, which followed a lockout.

The collective bargaining agreement is set to expire June 30, after which, a lockout would begin.

Curry told Bucher that he knew "it would simply take getting to the 11th hour. We're now at the 11th hour."

According to Curry, the players attending Friday's meeting included himself, Antonio Davis and Pat Garrity. Curry said the team executives at the meeting were Wyc Grousbeck, managing partner of the Boston Celtics; Steve Mills, president and CEO of MSG Sports (representing the New York Knicks); Les Alexander, owner of the Houston Rockets; and Lewis Katz, owner of the New Jersey Nets.

Friday's meeting, which included NBA commissioner David Stern and players' association director Billy Hunter, was the first since June 1, when the sides met for 2½ hours at the union's offices in New York.

"We made significant progress today and tonight," NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said in a statement. "We will convene again in small groups over the course of the weekend and will reconvene the larger group on Tuesday morning."

The past two weeks have been marked by public posturing from both sides, with the latest salvo coming Wednesday when Hunter traveled to the NBA Finals in Detroit to explain his side of the story as to why talks have been stalled.

Hunter said he would call Stern before the current labor agreement expires, and that call apparently was made Thursday. The sides have engaged in on-and-off talks throughout the late winter and spring.

On Wednesday, Hunter said he surmised from Stern's public comments last Sunday that only three issues remain in dispute -- an age limit for rookies, a tougher drug-testing program and the maximum length of long-term contracts, but deputy commissioner Russ Granik said Hunter's assumption was incorrect.

Owners are known to be seeking several other changes to current rules, including a new luxury tax (dubbed a "supertax") for the highest spending teams, reductions in the size of annual salary increases in long-term contracts, a shortened rookie wage scale and adjustments to the so-called trigger percentages that activate the escrow and luxury taxes designed to curtail spending on player salaries.

Stern did not reference those items when he addressed the media before Game 2 of the Finals, though he did go into detail about where the owners stand on the other items. He said the league wants the minimum age raised to 19, the maximum contract length reduced from seven years to six, and an anti-drug agreement that would call for veterans to be tested year-round. Currently, veterans are tested only once per year, during training camp.

Credit to espn.com for this bit of news.

This is good news for NBA fans. I shudder to think of a sports world without the NBA. I really hope these guys aren't just blowing smoke up our asses, and that they actually can work something out by July 1st. The idea of the NBA being locked out (again) would be quite depressing for me.

Nah, I don't blame you for being a pessimist. These talks could be blowing smoke up every NBA fans ass. The last three issues that they are stalled on seem ludicrous to me. I don't see a problem with lowering the max contracts, or making veteran players take drug tests throughout the season. I think Stern is a fool for wanting to up the age limit for potential draftee's to 19, as I don't see much difference in one year.

I'm really crossing my fingers that they can get something resolved before July 1st. It seems that everybody involved should just compromise with each other, as the issues really are not that extravagant. The NBA is really starting to pick up alot of steam throughout the last couple of seasons, with so many new stars emerging within the NBA. It would be a terrible shame if they locked out over silly issues, just when the league is on the verge of a new "golden era" in my view.

Guest Bluesman

How about a bunch of good stuff?

Realgm.com is reporting that Quentin Richardson is being dealt for Kurt Thomas, with a first round pick involved somewhere.

Supposedly the Wolves are shopping the 14th pick alongsizde Wally Sczerbiack in an effort to get rid of his large contract. That's right, using our first lottery pick in a decade (or so) to get rid of our second best player. No wonder McHale fucked this team into the ground.

It's rumored that the Grizz are so desperate to get rid of Jason Williams that they'll package him with the 19th pick. Lorenzen Wright also has said that while he would like to stay with the Grizz, he wants to be traded.

It was reported by Ric Bucher yesterday that Porter's firing is due in large part to the Bucks wanting to move forward and get their hands on Flip Saunders, with there possibly even being a deal in place already.

In a possible move to force a team to move up, the Blazers have said that they would select Chris Paul if available. While this does seem quite foolish, remember that this is the Blazers, and that they paired Telfair with NBA midget Damon Stoudamire. No word yet on a possible move to SF for "mighty mouse".

DeRon Williams stock has shot up, even to the point of talk of him being drafted ahead of Paul. Evidently Williams tested very well in athletic tests administered to draft prospects, helping to alleviate concerns of him being too slow and unathletic.

nbadraft.net reported that Yaroslav Korolev has received a promise from the L.A. Clippers to take him at #12

For those interested in information on the draft and updated mock drafts, check out nbadraft.net, draftexpress.com and realgm.com.

Why trade Kurt Thomas? Seriously. So they can put another guy on the floor who can only shoot and do nothing else. Kurt Thomas though playing against people bigger than him night in and night out is the only person on the Knicks that gets boards consistently. If this goes down I'm calling for Zeke's resignation!

Why trade Kurt Thomas?  Seriously.  So they can put another guy on the floor who can only shoot and do nothing else.  Kurt Thomas though playing against people bigger than him night in and night out is the only person on the Knicks that gets boards consistently.  If this goes down I'm calling for Zeke's resignation!

It's too free up space to resign JJ apparently, and to let Amare move back to PF as he was unhappy about being a C.

Nash, JJ, Marion, Amare and Thomas is a nasty team....Thomas is underrated, he has a nice jumper (one of the better mid-range games) and will complement Amare well in drawing a defender away from the basket.

Why trade Kurt Thomas?  Seriously.  So they can put another guy on the floor who can only shoot and do nothing else.  Kurt Thomas though playing against people bigger than him night in and night out is the only person on the Knicks that gets boards consistently.  If this goes down I'm calling for Zeke's resignation!

Wow, this trade was much worse for the Suns. Thomas doesn't even fit in their package, not to mention that he is past whatever talent he had.

Guest Bluesman

Crawford can't shoot for shit, and is a chucker. Don't even put his name near Allen Houston's unless it is something like "Crawford wishes he could shoot like Allen Houston".

Crawford could do lots of things well (probably including shooting), but chooses not to and instead be a worthless pile of shit, hence why he appealed so strongly to Isiah. Marbury and him deserve each other, and now Q can join them.

Isiah is a fucking moron.

Crawford can shoot, just has terrible selection.

Heard rumours of Lakers trading for the 17th and Jon Bender with Pacers, Trading Butler, Divac and the 10th for Ratliff, 3rd, and Ruben Patterson and picking GERALD GREEN OVER PAUL/WILLIAMS!! and having Kobe move to the Point...

Guest Bluesman

No, he can't.

To begin with, part of being a good shooter is having a good shot selection. Knowing your limitations, your strengths, and being able to tell what is a good shot for you to take. Obviously what makes this so important is because it allows you to hit a higher percentage of your shots, thus making you a better shooter.

Let's put it another way. Have you ever played a game with/against a chucker, and afterwards you would overhear someone say "Yea, he tossed up a bunch of shots, missed most of them, but he really is a good shooter"? Unless it's a relative or girlfriend, no. Most likely what you hear is "Dickhead can't shoot and he cost us the damn game".

Of course, if that isn't enough, there is the fact that the last two years he shot 39.8% and 38.6%, and his career shooting percentage is 39.7%. The guy can't shoot, it's as simple as that.

EDIT-News and Rumors...

Unfortunately, Fred Hoiberg is going to have heart surgery. It isn't life threatening, but possibly career threatening if he doesn't think it's safe to play...as he's said he isn't willing to jeopardize anything. Hopefully he makes a sound recovery.

Supposedly there is talk of a NO/TOR deal where Toronto deals the number 7 and 16 picks for Jamal Malgoire. Yikes.

If the Lakers deal up to number 3, they are going to look at taking DeRon Williams, even though earlier they were in love with Gerald Green. Even women don't doublespeak as much as NBA teams at draft time.

The Grizz are looking at dealing Williams, Wells, and the 19th pick, with Cleveland and Detroit said to be interested in Wells. Just what LeBron needs, ANOTHER swingman. Hey, I have an idea GET A FUCKING POINT GUARD.

Denver is said to try and get into the lottery with the 20th and 22nd picks. I'd have to think Martell Webster would be a good fit, given his shooting ability and the fact he appears to be able to get some minutes right away.

Realgm is reporting that a deal is place for Atlanta to receive the number 5 and 13 pick in exchange for Marvin Williams at number 2, which of course means Bogut would have to be taken number 1. An interesting sidenote is that it's said also that number 5 would be Raymond Felton, which sounds like ATL thinks Deron and Paul are going at numbers 3 and 4.

Edited by Bluesman

The draft is tomorrow and no one is talking in here?!?!?!

I'll start the chatter!

I've got Bogut going #1. No way the Bucks pass on a legit center who can score, rebound and pass. I don't care how good Marvin WIlliams is, take Bogut!

Rumors suggest Portland wants to trade down from the #3 spot. Utah seems the most interested, trrading a perimiter player and the 6th pick for 3 to take a point guard.

Jamal McGlore (SP?) to Toronto? According to the Raps beat writer the deal is "70% likely to happen" for Mo Pete and the 7th overall pick. I love the deal as a Raptors fan. I mean aside from Miami what team can compete with a McGlore/Bosh front court in the east?!?!?! They still will have the 16th overall pick and two second rounders. T.O may come out of Tuesday with an All-Star center, a backcourt scorer, Saleen Stademire(sp?) and another player.

Edited by Miami Vice

Jamal McGlore (SP?) to Toronto? According to the Raps beat writer the deal is "70% likely to happen" for Mo Pete and the 7th overall pick. I love the deal as a Raptors fan. I mean aside from Miami what team can compete with a McGlore/Bosh front court in the east?!?!?! They still will have the 16th overall pick and two second rounders. T.O may come out of Tuesday with an All-Star center, a backcourt scorer, Saleen Stademire(sp?) and another player.