2005 NBA Offseason Topic

Blitz

Heat acquire Walker, J-Will, Posey in five-team deal

Aug. 2, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports     

MIAMI -- In the largest trade in NBA history, Antoine Walker was dealt from Boston to Miami on Tuesday night in a transaction involving five teams and 13 players.

The Heat also acquired point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey from Memphis, while the Grizzlies received guard Eddie Jones from the Heat. The New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz were also involved in the deal.

The trade was larger than a 12-player, four-team deal in 2000 involving Patrick Ewing. That had been the biggest in league history.

Other specifics from Tuesday night's trade:

* Miami also received Andre Emmett from Memphis and the draft rights to Roberto Duenas of Spain from the Hornets;

* Utah received Greg Ostertag from Memphis;

* Boston picked up Curtis Borchardt from Utah and a package -- Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to Spanish center Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash -- from Miami;

* New Orleans acquired Rasual Butler from Miami and Kirk Snyder from Utah;

* The Grizzlies received guard Raul Lopez from the Jazz.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the deal works for the Heat because it gives them more offensive options than just Shaq and D-Wade for both the regular season and the playoffs. It seems like Damon Jones was planning to walk to any team that gave him an extra dollar, Posey's a definite upgrade on Eddie Jones, especially when you factor in age, and Walker can handle the ball as well against swarming defensive teams. I think they're better constituted to go deep into the playoffs with this team even though they sacrificed a little 'D' for better quality depth.

Since the Heat added Williams it would suprised me if they also went and resigned Damon Jones. That makes it a higher possiblity that Jones may be coming to Cleveland and giving them a much needed PG who could also hit well from downtown. Altough the high amount of shots was mostly due to double teams from Shaq and D-Wade, he will still probaly get a lot of outside shots if he came to Cleveland with slashers in Lebron and Hughes and a above average big man in Z. Defense may be a problem for them next year, on the ball atleast, but getting Jones would solidify this line up IMO.

James Posey is a much better defender than Eddie Jones, they still have some good D, shit, even fucking J Will is a better defender than Damon Jones.

Nets pulled outta the Reef trade dropping them outta my East Top 4, the only problem the Heat's gonna have this year is Walker taking too many shots.I could see J Will turning into Steve Nash/Jason Kidd this year and showing off his awesome playmaking abilities...Walker will be the fucking problem, but they have an awesome lineup, even there second lineup wouldn't be too bad...

Shaq/Zo

Haslem/Simien

Posey/Walker (most likely be the other way round but thats the way I like it)

Wade/Wright (if they ever fucking play him...I'm missing sombody here but I can't think of who it was)

J Will/Jones

Guest bukkake

The Nets pulling out of that SAR deal is completely ridiculous, in my opinion, as a Nets fan. Marc Jackson mostly came off the bench last year. Is he supposed to be our starting power forward?

Edited by bukkake

Nets pull out of Abdur-Rahim deal and the Kings pick him up. I don't what the Nets were thinking as Shareef is still a solid 3-4 combo. And the T'Wolves finally got rid of Sammy Cassell for two younger point guards in Marko Jaric and Lionel Chalmers. The Clippers also got a first round pick out of the deal. After last season the only role Sam Cassell should play in LA is a mentor to Shaun Livingston since Clipppers management is convinced he will be the point guard for a long time. Or in usual Clippers' style, until his contract runs out.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck this NBA season man....The Spurs ALREADY have it locked up..

Parker, NVE, Manu, Fins, Bowen, Barry, Horry, Mohammed, that rook, Udrih, Duncan, Nesteroivc, I just hope they don't still have Big Dog, otherwise this year is pointless, give them the fucking title...Duncan could be injured for 20-25-30 games and they'd still do well enough to lead/be second in their division.

I hate how players join teams they think are contenders...fucking coat tail riders...earn the title yourself instead of riding someone else's coat tail to a title, atleast thats the way I see it myself...be more fufilling I guess.

Well if your Michael Finley going to the Spurs is your best chance at a ring as you want it, also unaware if he lives in Texas or not I would suspose he lives in the southwest region and that would be close to his home and he doesn't have to do much with the Spurs come off the bench for maybe 10-15 a night I mean its a nice role for any veteran willing enough to want a championship ring.

Guest Bluesman

Sorry, I'm not handing the title to a team whose starting center is either Nazr or Rasho. Maybe I'd be impressed with the Finley and NVE moves if it was actually giving the Spurs something they need instead of cluttering up the roster.