2005 NBA Offseason Topic

Blitz

From Espn.com

The Utah Jazz and Portland Trail Blazers traded picks Tuesday.

Portland traded the rights to the No. 3 pick to Utah for the rights to the No. 6 and No. 27 picks and the rights to a 2006 first-round pick that the Jazz got from the Detroit Pistons, a league source said.

All trades had to be in by 2 p.m. ET.

A source said the Jazz would look to draft a point guard at No. 3, deciding between Illinois junior Deron Williams and Wake Forest sophomore Chris Paul.

The Blazers would then possibly draft one of two high school players -- Gerald Green or Martell Webster -- at No. 6.

Kinda surprised that they would give up three picks just to move up 3 spots even if the pick they are giving next year isnt thier pick.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft is tomorrow and no one is talking in here?!?!?!

I'll start the chatter!

I've got Bogut going #1. No way the Bucks pass on a legit center who can score, rebound and pass. I don't care how good Marvin WIlliams is, take Bogut!

Rumors suggest Portland wants to trade down from the #3 spot. Utah seems the most interested, trrading a perimiter player and the 6th pick for 3 to take a point guard.

Jamal McGlore (SP?) to Toronto? According to the Raps beat writer the deal is "70% likely to happen" for Mo Pete and the 7th overall pick. I love the deal as a Raptors fan. I mean aside from Miami what team can compete with a McGlore/Bosh front court in the east?!?!?! They still will have the 16th overall pick and two second rounders. T.O may come out of Tuesday with an All-Star center, a backcourt scorer, Saleen Stademire(sp?) and another player.

The Detroit Pistons front court of Wallace and Wallace say hello. Couple them with McDyess coming off the bench, and I'd say that there are atleast two teams that could compete with the Raptors potentially new front court. In fact, that the Pistons front court would match up much better than Miami's, as Miami doesn't have much of a front court outside of Shaq.

Even though the Pistons have a low pick in the first round, I'm still extremely excited to see what kind of player we can come out of the draft with. Dumars has gone on record saying that he wants a guy that would fit the Pistons character traits. I'm personally hoping for a guy that can come off the bench and shoot the lights out, but I'm confident Dumars will make a smart choice.

As long as Atlanta adds a swingman and a decent center, they could be good in 2-3 years. They already had Josh Smith & Josh Childress and after tonight, they've got Marvin Williams and Salim Stoudamire who can stop right in. Stoudamire is gonna be one of the 'steals' of this draft.

Well I thought the Cavs already had alot of money to spend on free agents but now that they traded Jiri Welsh who was sucking while here anyways for a secound rounder next year, they now have close to 30 million to spend on free agents since they have no rookies to sign. I just hope they are able to get one of the many shooters out there and now they may have enough to do that and get Ilguakuas along with an ok PG. I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of this Free Agent period, atleast for the Cavs it will show what kind of team they are going to be next year.

Guest Bluesman

Fire McHale

Toronto, aside from taking Villaneuava, may have had the best draft. They got the Roko Leni-Ukic, who they were thinking of taking at 16, in the 2nd round at 41. A lot of guys fell, in fact the Wolves were in a great position to get a great player, instead taking Prison McCants.

Fire McHale

Why the FUCK did the Sixers draft Louis Williams? From all accounts this kid can't shoot for shit, is undersized as a two guard and can't handle the ball to be at the point.

Jawad Williams is still on the board and they take this kid? Ugh.

I really hate Billy King.

Honestly, I'm quite surprized the Lakers didn't pick Gerald Green.I'm surprized Green dropped that far, period, looks like Boston's got another safety net for when they trade away Pierce.

The Wolves are stocking by taking McCants for when Spree leaves, I'm guessing.Also surprized that Gomes went so late, May went so early, and the lack of trades.Nice to see Bogut go number 1 though...likewise for Deron going 3, and Luther Head sneaking into the first round.

And Cavs fans, the only Shooter thats a FA your going to have a shot at is Larry Hughes and Joe Johnson.Allen, Redd, etc don't want to be 2nd to LeBron...and Joe Johnson wants to go to the Bobcats, anyway....Cav's should go for Antonio Daniels and Radmanovic or someone else from the Seattle team thats a FA.

The Knicks draft wasn't too bad for me. They picked the guy that most Knicks fans thought was going to be the pick at 8 in Channing Frye but David Lee at 30. I never thought of him to be above pick 50. And Dijon Thompson in the 2nd round I think he'll open some eyes the way another UCLA product Trevor Ariza did last year.

Biggest Steals: IND- Danny Granger, New Mexico (#17), BOS- Gerald Green, Gulf Shores Academy TX (#18), MEM- Hakim Warrick, Syracuse (#19), TOR- Roko Ukic, KK Split (#41), ORL- Martynas Andriuskevicius, Zalgiris Kaunas (#44)

Biggest Reaches/Wastes of a Pick: TOR- Charlie Villanueva, UCONN (#7), GS- Ike Diogu, Arizona State (#9), DET- Jason Maxiell, Cincinatti (#26), NY- David Lee, Florida (#30), LAC- Daniel Ewing, Duke (#32)

Good Luck finding work: Kelenna Azubuike (Kentucky), Randolph Morris (Kentucky), Anthony Roberson (Florida), Matt Walsh (Florida), Daryl Dorsey (Brevard County CC), Sean Banks (Memphis)

Azubuike and Morris could be STEALS if the right team snaps them up and they have the patience to develop them.

And I'm gonna say it right now, whatever team signs Jawad Williams will have gotten away with grand larsony. Jawad is gonna be a great player.

Again, what the FUCK were the Sixers thinking? At least they made their offers to Dalembert, Green and Korver but fuck.

Edited by CM Punk

I know that the chances of Redd going back to the Bucks are pretty good but there are a few factors that could make him want to go to Cleveland. One the obviuous one is that he grew up/lived in Cleveland so he has got alot of family in the area and that always helps not that it is really basketball related. The other reason is that even with Bogut, the Bucks dont have enough right now to really compete in a few years they will but right now they dont, so if Redd wants to compete sooner then he may go to the Cavs. Also one other reason he may come is the Cavs can offer him alot of money since they got so much cap room. On the other side of things if they were to get Larry Hughes that wouldnt that bad at all. Like I said before it will be intresting to see where some of the FA's end up.

Jason Maxiell, I don't know much about the kid, but Dumars is in love with his character, work ethic, and toughness. Yeah, he's the perfect guy to fit on our team, but did we really need another big man who can play defense? Especially when we need to be developing Darko this year. I'm not unhappy with the pick, but I would have preferred a SF/SG that could score.

I really don't know anything about the two second rounders we picked up, only that one is a high school kid, which is intriguing to me. I think it might mark the first high schooler ever drafted by the Pistons. He'll probably play in the developmental league for a bit, and perhaps develop into a good player.

Villanueva went a little early. He could be a good player, but he's not #7 caliber.

The Wizards 2nd Rounder, a prep school kid from CT, might be a ok player a few years down the road. I was reading some of the pre-draft reports and some said he might have been a late 1st rounder, so it was a bit of a surprise to see him get picked at 49th.

The reason I think so many high schoolers went in the second round was because of the whole developmental league setup. The teams in the first round wanted impact instead of projects and that allowed players that were projected as first rounders to fall behind some proven college players.

With Andray Blatche specifically, if I heard the telecast correctly, he pissed off alot of teams by refusing workouts and only having a 30 minute timed interview. That caused him to drop from where I saw him going (Seattle at #25) all the way to Wizards at #49.

Well I just found out that the Cavs traded the away the pick and cash they got yesterday for Orlando's 2nd rounder. I know his name and stuff but it is incredibly long and I dont remeber the spelling so I am not going to post it. The player though was supposed to be a mid to late first rounder that dropped like many other players. He comes from the same country as Z and also was trained by Sabonis too. He has got Z height and everything, altough he likely wont play alot if any the first few years he could be a good replacement for Z if he can improve like they say he can.

Well I just found out that the Cavs traded the away the pick and cash they got yesterday for Orlando's 2nd rounder.  I know his name and stuff but it is incredibly long and I dont remeber the spelling so I am not going to post it.  The player though was supposed to be a mid to late first rounder that dropped like many other players.  He comes from the same country as Z and also was trained by Sabonis too.  He has got Z height and everything, altough he likely wont play alot if any the first few years he could be a good replacement for Z if he can improve like they say he can.