Hatton beats Tszyu

Liam

Light welterweight Ricky Hatton pulled off one of the biggest upsets in British boxing history to beat legend Kostya Tszyu at Manchester's MEN Arena.

The 26-year-old employed trademark non-stop aggression to drive back the Australian champion, who failed to answer the bell for the 12th round.

Inspired Hatton blazed into action from the opening bell.

And, although he was troubled by big shots, it was Tszyu who faded badly to the delight of a screaming crowd.

The great and good of Manchester were on hand to see Hatton's moment of truth.

Current champions Joe Calzaghe, Diego Corrales and Winky Wright were at ringside as was former heavyweight icon Frank Bruno, who was on the verge of tears after being given a huge ovation.

And an assortment of Manchester footballers and Hollywood stars were also glued to the furious action, which started immediately in round one.

As promised, Hatton took the fight to Tszyu, muscling the champion around the ring and edging into a points lead.

Tszyu hit back, capitalising on every moment of carelessness from the onrushing challenger.

There were moments of worry for the Manchester crowd, but Hatton was never in serious trouble despite taking chilling shots to the chin and one trip to the canvas - on a slip.

When the Briton landed a low blow at the end of round nine, a flagging Tszyu suddenly looked like a beaten man.

And the 35-year-old was dominated in the following round, before staying on his stool three minutes later after one last valiant bid to retain the title.

Tszyu was the first to praise his conqueror, saying: "I have nothing to be ashamed of - I lost to the better fighter."

And Hatton, in turn, praised the dethroned champion.

"If I can be half the champion Tszyu is, I'll be doing very well," he told the crowd of 22,000.

"He's not a champion, he's a champion-and-a-half. I've become a champion and now I want to become a great one."

Considering the many detractors, Hatton winning has made my weekend. No-one deserved it more, and it's nice to see him finally getting some recognition. Hopefully, he can keep it going, and be a good champion.

Guest Red Devil

An awesome fight and the better man won on the night. Kosta was a great sport after the match and showed boxing can be a class act when it wants to be.

Great fight. Well worth buying on PPV. Well, the main event was ... the undercard was awful. Danny Williams is finished.

Hatton is just relentless. Even when Kostya seemed to be getting the better, he just kept coming, and Kostya had no answer at the end. Great to see the sportsmanship before and after the fight from both men. Hatton will get a few money-spinners out of this now. He deserves it.

ya gotta give it to Tsyzu though, he should never have had to defend his title in the fucking challenger's hometown, thats achampions priviledge, nice to see him take the challenge though.He's too old now though and hasn't fought enough, IMO this was an obvious fight that Hatton was gonna win.

He's gonna get manhandled and fucked up by all the other champs in his division though, because his whole style revolves around bullying people.Gatti and Maywheather will both put him away.

I swear Lanky, from comments you've said before, I swear you just don't like to see UK people do well, or love to detract from thier success in some way or other....maybe its just me.

ya gotta give it to Tsyzu though, he should never have had to defend his title in the fucking challenger's hometown, thats achampions priviledge, nice to see him take the challenge though.He's too old now though and hasn't fought enough, IMO this was an obvious fight that Hatton was gonna win.

He's gonna get manhandled and fucked up by all the other champs in his division though, because his whole style revolves around bullying people.Gatti and Maywheather will both put him away.

I love it when boxing gets discussed, because the UK boxers always get shit on. When Lewis was champion, everyone was like "blah blah blah, he's crap, blah blah blah". At the end of the day, Kostya took the challenge, and went and lost. He even said he preferred fighting in his opponents backyard, so thats not that much of a detraction for him.

Also, Hatton is easily pound for pound one of the best boxers going, personally. I don't get the whole bullying thing....even when he low-blowed Tszyu in this fight, it was after persistent warnings telling Tszyu to keep his hands up, as Kostya was just riling up Hatton, so Hatton showed that two could play that game. Hatton is no more of a bully then Tszyu, from what I see.

EDIT: And Karizma, everyone though Kostya would win pretty much, so saying it was "an obvious fight that Hatton was gonna win" is bullshit.

Edited by kevinnashwannabe

He's done well but like Lewis et al, he'd have to go at it abroad to be considered a legend. It's always easier in front of a home crowd since you have that extra lift. It'll show how good he really is. Look at Prince Naseem, a talented fighter but the minute he met up with a good fighter away from home he lost.

I think there is a lot more substance to Hatton than there was to a fighter like Hamed.

And Lewis did make it abroad, but he still got shat on by a lot of the boxing "fans" on EWB, even though he is one of the better heavyweights for years, and would have been better if only people hadn't dodged him back at his peak.

Well, last I heard he was in a car crash and totalled his car. Boxing wise, he got shown up to be the rubbish boxer he actually was the second he went to the US. He lost a couple of matches, and then quit. He probably made enough money already anyway from it.

Naseem only had one loss, then had one fight after that, and retired I guess with a record of 36-1.He may have less substance to Hatton as you think, but he fought noodies just like Hatton.

And please, Tsyzu is old, very inactive and was fighting Hatton in his backyard.I don't give a shit who the fuck you are, odds are your not going to win witht those odds.

Everyone thought that Hatton wouldn't win because he fought nobodies, he has talent, but he isn't THAT good.

And please, I was one of Lewis' biggest supporters, he's one of my favourite boxers, and he outsmarted Vitali when they fought.I am one of his biggwst fans around, especially on here, and I'm not even from Britain, or have any connection there.

I've been watching, and am a boxer/kickboxer for years.I know I for sure didn't pick Tyzsu to win, he's fought something like under 30 rounds in the last 2 years, and is 35 years old.Only reason B-Hop is still champ at his old age is because he is an extremely active fighter (esp. for his age).The only way you could put a negative on Hatton is the calibur of fighters he's fought, as far as I can see.He's young, hungry, very active, and willing to learn.Thats a hard combo to stop.

And sorry but he's nowhere near Pound-for-pound one of the best right now.Maywheather is on fire right now, and they're the same weight, let alone the whole of boxing.He's outside my top 10, maybe squeak into the top 20 or fall just outside, but thats from the lack of boxing I've seen lately more than anything.