Report: NHL, NHLPA agree on cap formula

sahyder1

And does anyone know if they are keeping sudden death overtime in the playoffs because I would hate to see shootouts in the playoffs. Shootouts in the regular season are fine by me though.

Actually, for the playoffs, I'd suggest:

-One overtime period, as the "fourth period". It's not sudden death, you play the full 20 minutes unless somebody takes a 2-goal lead, in which case it ends there.

-If still tied, you go to a 20-minute sudden death overtime.

-After that, THEN go to a shootout. Hockey playoff overtime games rarely last past 2 overtimes, and if they do, they go into the early morning hours on the east coast, and is there anybody on the west coast watching hockey to start with?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grapehead

No shootouts in the playoffs, straight from Betmans mouth, and I couldn't be happier.

I didn't see a topic about the draft lottery, so I'll just say this, Pittsburgh gets the no. 1 pick, but more exciting to me is Ottawa gets no. 9.

Leafs with number 21 :(

I still have hope for my team, and all you sens fans better watch what your saying, you never know, you might have to lose to us again in the playoffs....if we get in the playoffs <_<

I was rooting for the Rangers to get Crosby just because it would give so much publicity to him (Which in turn would give publicity to the league and its other teams and benefit the league greatly). However, Pittsburgh showed in the early 90's it can draw well and be a popular team. Especially since many people in the area of Pittsburgh either don't have a hockey team, despise Philly, or are fair weather fans and when the Pens are good will fill the arena.

I don't know, but for some reason my newspaper is telling me that Bob Gainey thinks he can land Crosby in Montreal. While the idea is nice, unless Gainey was on some good crack when he said that or he has the second comming of jesus on skates hidden away somewhere, I don't think it's gonna happen.

Oct 5. Montreal v Boston.

Hockey is fucking back!

If they are tradeable, there are at least 10 teams with new salary cap issues that have good players to put on the market, maybe trade for the top pick and clear some cap room at the same time.

Not the Flyers though, they just bought out the contracts of Leclair and Amonte, ESPN reports.

I wouldn't be surprised to see teams like, for example, Columbus who I believe have major cap room try to bring in some vets from other teams in return for giving up a draft pick or two. They have a good young nucleus (Namely Nash) and if some veterans with considerable skill are brought you have a team with some potential.

When they buy out the contract, does the player become an unrestricted free agent?

EDIT: Wow, was just over at TSN.ca and Phoenix is doing well for themselves 21 players and only 28 million spent. And those who aren't signed by them yet aren't detremental to the teams sucess if they aren't picked up.

Edited by Orange Conditioner

Just so people know I am pretty sure teams can trade draft picks if they choose to and another bit of info is apparently Anaheim has Tampa Bay's second round pick so that would give them the first pick in the second round.

I think this year might be the year the newer teams (Atlanta, Columbus, Minnesota(maybe)) do very well in the season a make a good stand for a spot in the playoffs.

This should be an exciting year and the news that Carey Price might be drafted by Ottawa is pretty sweet.

EDIT: If a contract is bought out the player I believe will be a UFA... makes sense at least.

Edited by CKN

Guest Grapehead

I doubt Ottawa would buyout a guy like Spezza... but I haven't been keeping track of buyouts, not overly interested, I'll just catch up on them next weekend when the draft takes place. Buyouts do leave the player as a UFA for the record, if there was any dispute.

I sure hope you've enjoyed the first half of hockey, folks, we'll be back in March!

Good move to cancel the All-Star game. You're losing 2 weeks to the Olympics...which is like a two-week-long All-Star game.

Directed @ Jar Jar Beatnik's Senator/Leaf remark

Only a leafs fan would bring something like that up... only a leafs fan :P

As for Orange Conditioner thinking there won't be a lot of buyouts I would be prepared for how many we might see in fact the flyers made the first move today by buying out John LeClair and Tony Amonte's contracts. But I am not going to go out and say there will be tons.

Flyers buy out LeClair and Amonte

Associated Press

7/23/2005 8:22:10 PM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Philadelphia Flyers have decided to buy out the contracts of veteran forwards John LeClair and Tony Amonte.

LeClair, 36, spent 10 years with the Flyers, and was a member of the famed Legion of Doom line with Eric Lindros and Mikael Renberg in the mid-1990s.

LeClair, who entered the lockout due $9 million US in the final year of a five-year contract, was to make $6.84 million after the league-wide 24 per cent rollback.

"Obviously I'm disappointed," LeClair said. "But it was something I was prepared for.

"I knew it was a very realistic possibility for over a year now. My disappointment comes from knowing my years with the Flyers are over."

Amonte, who started the lockout at about $5.82 million, was due $4.26 million. In 14 seasons with New York, Chicago, Phoenix and Philadelphia, Amonte had 392 goals and 436 assists in the regular season; he added 20 goals and 31 assists in 86 playoff games.

By buying out LeClair's contract, the Flyers clear about $4.51 million in cap space. Philadelphia is looking to create payroll flexibility under the new $39-million salary cap mandated by the new collective bargaining agreement.

"The deal is not about me, it's about all 700 players," LeClair said. "You've got to do what's best for the union.

"Then you kind of have to sit back, take it all in and see how it affects your situation."

Amonte's deal will save the Flyers $2.96 million against the cap.

LeClair registered 382 goals and 379 assists overall in the regular season in his career with the Flyers and the Montreal Canadiens. He added 42 goals and 47 assists in the playoffs.

Despite having back surgery in May, LeClair plans to continue his NHL career.

"Right now I plan to sit back, see what comes about, and see how my health is," he said. "I just have to wait and see how it plays out."

Flyers captain Keith Primeau said LeClair will be missed but that everyone understands this sort of move will be common in the new hockey economic landscape.

"When you talk about Johnny, you talk about a name synonymous with the Flyers," Primeau said. "The only reason John LeClair doesn't return as a Philadelphia Flyer is because of the new economics.

"A guy like Tony Amonte gets caught in the crossfire as well because of the substantial dollars he earns."

Flyers general manager Bob Clarke called both players Saturday morning to deliver the news and said it was "not the best way to start off a day."

Coach Ken Hitchcock said both LeClair and Amonte epitomized class while with the Flyers.

"I understand the economics of the new game but it doesn't make it any easier for a coach," Hitchcock said. "They've been tremendous ambassadors not only for our team but the league."

Guest Grapehead

I'm pretty happy, but very worrited, and I have one question to ask......

Will the Leafs most likely suck this year?  :crying:

Yes... yes they will...

note: this is coming from an ottawa senators fan

I'm pretty happy, but very worrited, and I have one question to ask......

Will the Leafs most likely suck this year?  :crying:

Yes... yes they will...

note: this is coming from an ottawa senators fan

I can only hope that "note" means we should take that with the same grain of salt that we did when Senators fans actually thought you guys would beat us in the past, what, 5 times we've played you in the playoffs? :P