Report: NHL, NHLPA agree on cap formula

sahyder1

Red Wings to shed veteran trio

Associated Press

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings placed defenseman Derian Hatcher and forwards Darren McCarty and Ray Whitney on waivers Monday, effectively cutting ties with the three high-profile veterans.

If the trio go unclaimed, the Red Wings have the option of buying out their contracts and making them unrestricted free agents.

Hatcher's contract calls for a salary of $4.94 million this season, Whitney is due $2.66 million and McCarty $1.71 million.

"They've been a big, big part of our franchise," Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill said. "This is just a part of doing business right now with the new CBA."

The NHL's new collective bargaining agreement features a $39 million salary cap, and teams were granted a six-day window on Saturday to shed cumbersome contracts.

The 33-year-old Hatcher, a former Dallas Stars captain, signed with Detroit as a free agent before the 2003-04 season. Considered at the time to be one of the best all-around defensemen in the league, the big, bruising Hatcher had little impact with his hometown team, tearing a knee ligament in the third game and missing the majority of that season.

Whitney, 33, also signed as a free agent with the Wings during 2003. He had 24 goals and 52 assists the season before with Columbus, and the Red Wings hoped he could fill the void created when Sergei Fedorov signed with Anaheim. With Detroit in 2003-04, Whitney managed 14 goals and 29 assists.

McCarty, who has spent his entire 11-year career with Detroit, is a fan favorite whose style of play embodies the blue-collar spirit of the city. The 33-year-old McCarty won three Stanley Cups with the Wings and scored the series-winning goal against Philadelphia in 1997.

"He's a hardworking, roll-up-your-sleeves kind of guy," Nill said. "He's really what the city's all about. He came every night to play hard. He was a big part of our success."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here have some hockey news :D

Ottawa awarded 2008 NHL Entry Draft

TSN.ca Staff

7/27/2005 1:53:58 PM

NEW YORK – The Ottawa Senators will host the 2008 NHL Entry Draft at Corel Centre, the National Hockey League announced today.

The 2005 NHL Entry Draft will be conducted Saturday in Ottawa. However, the late resolution of collective bargaining negotiations forced cancellation of arrangements for several activities that normally accompany the Entry Draft.

"Since this year's Entry Draft had to be restructured and streamlined, we want to return to Ottawa for a full version of the Entry Draft,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "We know the Senators and Hockey Country will do an outstanding job of hosting all the exciting activities that provide so much enjoyment for our fans, and, therefore, we will be back in 2008."

My problem with the whole rivalry is that it is pretty bitter. Like when Alfreddson pretended to throw his stick into the crowd after Sundin did everyone in Toronto just booed Alfreddson when it was clearly a joke. I guess that just goes to show that in the Ottawa/Toronto rivalry there are no room for jokes <_<

October 5th is going to rule.

My problem with the whole rivalry is that it is pretty bitter. Like when Alfreddson pretended to throw his stick into the crowd after Sundin did everyone in Toronto just booed Alfreddson when it was clearly a joke. I guess that just goes to show that in the Ottawa/Toronto rivalry there are no room for jokes <_<

Well if you can point to that, than I guess it's ok if I bring up the fact that the Corel Centre banned Leafs jerseys for one of the playoff games last season. But I'm sure THAT was just a joke, it wasn't bitter or anything...

I'm surprised ESPN hasn't jumped back on their bandwagon. Good luck to the NHL, regardless of who picks them up.

The reason is simple, ESPN is too obsessed with airing basketball to care about hockey. Without the Stanley Cup playoffs they can give us more NBA Playoffs. I knew as soon as they acquired the NBA that the NHL was going to move elsewhere eventually.

As for who gets it. USA will. NBC owns Universal which owns USA (Which, for anyone who has watched Conan, means they can air Walker, Texas Ranger) and NBC already has the rights to some NHL games.