Star Wars: Empire at War

TMM

I got it yesterday. Didn't spend much time on it though because I've just got back into Hearts Of Iron II. It seems pretty decent. The space battles are awesome.

I had a massive battle and it came down to me with one capital ship and a two squadrons of TIE fighters against the Rebels with two damaged capital ships and a squadron of X-Wings who were defending their space station. Luckily I'd managed to take out the Space stations cannons earlier. I sent my two squadrons of TIE fighters against the two capital ships and took out their engines whilst my capital ship hung back, fending off the many X-Wing attacks managing to survive by killing engine power and converting it to the guns.

With the two Rebel ships incapacitated the TIE fighters, down to around 4 or 5, were able to take out their guns and leave them pretty much worthless. The TIE fighters then rejoined my ship and finished off the remaining X-Wings before I moved my capital ship in to finish the two Rebel ships and the Space station.

It was pretty awesome.

I completed a full runthrough of the Galactic conquest mode and started a campaign for the rebels.

The game is pretty damn good but I can't help but keeping thinking about other games while playing. It reminds me of a combination of Rome: Total War, Battle for Middleearth and with some Dawn of War thrown in... But with a twist of Star Wars tossed in. I'm liking a lot of the foreshadowing and such during the campaign, like stealing x-wings and such. A good spin instead of rehashing the same old battles from games of old.

I also downloaded a realism mod that's out, and I have to say despite needed some ironing out it really adds to the experience (it is only version 0.2 afterall). It adjusts the damage done by units, increases population caps and also decreases the size of infantry units so they're to scale with the vehicles. It's a really awesome site seeing over a dozen rebel infantry units try to take on a massive AT-AT.

I downloaded the demo the other day. The game looks awesome, but the demo's a bit restrictive. You get to do the first five tutorials and one short two planet campaign, which is a bummer.

My brother and I are working on pooling our money to buy it ourselves, so that way I'll be able to conquer the galaxy! Mwahaha... :P

Guest clintcasey

Try playing on Hard. The Empire in campaign mode start out with way more planets which gives them a higher income. In short, taking planets and holding control of them becomes MUCH more difficult. On normal I successfully deffended a planet with a Neb-B and 4 Coreillian Corvettes (I had my resources strechted too thin) and a level 1 space station against repeated attacks from groups if 8 or more Cruisers and a couple of victory star destroyers and came out with no casualties and was successfull threw several battles. On hard they would have attacked with a much bigger force and not only that but they'd have strike more effencently which would have caused my ass to be thuraly kicked.

Also I don't suppose anybody could pass along a link to the realism mod.

http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/;57456

It's still obviously being worked on, but I like the changes.

Also since it is just XML files you place in your XML folder with the game, it doesn't alter anything permanently. You just delete the files if you don't want them.

Edited by Vilge Duin

I tried a rebel game on hard, and it's still far too easy. I've got pretty much the entire outer rim secured, with about 50, 000 credits in reserve. 5-6 fully combat ready fleets, usually a mixture of Mon Cal Cruisers, Marauders, Nebuleon B Frigates and whatever I randomly felt like producing at that point of time. So far, the only threats I've seen from the Empire is Piet. I'm still waiting for Victory Cruisers, let alone Imperial Star Destroyers.

I feel like bum rushing Coruscant and killing the Empire, because I certainly know I can.

Guest clintcasey

Wow, of course you know at some point there probably going to come out with an expansion for this game that'll give the empire and rebels stuff to actualy put in tech level 5 (the rebels can reach 5 but they don't get any new units once they get there) I predict an expansion at some point that'll include Super Star Destroyers, B-wings, Tie Interceptors, and probably hero upgrades such as Red Squadron becoming Rouge Squadron and Luke taking over Obi-wan's spot. After that I imagine they may come out with a third expansion for clone war units. After that they'd probably go into the expanded universe such thrawn trillogy or New Jedi Order and bring in the Yuuzhan Vong