Star Wars: Empire at War

TMM

FEATURES

AVAILABILITY: SPRING 2006

GENRE: STRATEGY

PLATFORM: PC

ESRB: RATING PENDING

• Wage war on ground and in space - battle it out in space and then send down your remaining forces to invade the planet.

• All action is persistent - every decision affects the next battle and, ultimately, the fate of the galaxy. Play out your own personal version of Episode IV: A New Hope.

• Real-time strategy (RTS) 3D gameplay set in more than 40 ground and space locations including Yavin IV, Tatooine and Dagobah - each has its own specific advantage and/or resource.

• Construct ground and space structures, including space stations, factories and ion cannons.

• Deploy ground and space vehicles from giant Star Destroyers and AT-ATs to swift speeder bikes and X-wings.

• Access a variety of ground troops including stormtroopers and Rebel soldiers. Hero characters like Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader can be brought into key battles.

• Unique mission objectives such as rescues, sabotage, blockades and destruction.

• Begins several years before the events of Episode IV: A New Hope, including vehicles and locations from both the classic timeframe and Episode III.

• Play as the Rebels as they amass their forces and work to thwart the plans of the Empire, or serve the Empire and crush the Rebellion at its roots.

• Destroy the Death Star or use it as the ultimate power in the universe.

• Innovative multiplayer campaign mode lets two players battle for the galaxy and save games in progress. Up to eight players can compete in online skirmish modes.

• All-new game engine created by Las Vegas-based developer Petroglyph, composed of industry veterans responsible for classic RTS titles, including the Command & Conquer series.

Empire at War - Homepage

Didn't see it posted anywhere.

Finally a space-battle Star Wars game for the PC. Thankfully it looked 100 times better than Force Commander which had so much potential but turned out pretty awful.

It looks amazing so far; there are screenshots on the site for those interested.

I saw the video they showed at E3 and wasn't really impressed, just interested. If its basically Homeworld: Star Wars Edition but with a few added extras, im sold already.

But Lucasarts have been knocking out a lot of shitty games recently. I don't have high hopes, but it looks nice I guess.

The newest SW games have been pretty good actually. KOTOR2 was awesome, Republic Commando was apparently ok and Lego Star Wars got tons of love from reviewers, despite it being a kiddy game. The actual Episode III game was supposed to suck major balls though.

And I've been to the site before, it just doesn't look like fun. There's only so many times I can watch the Battle Of Hoth unfold on screen, in the films, the Rogue Squadron games and Battlefront. I'll be watching for any video updates of a near-complete game.

KOTOR was designed by Obsidian Entertainment, Lego Star Wars was developed by Traveller's Tales and Giant Interactive.

Lucasarts occasionally let other companies use their license. In the case of those few games, it actually worked. As to bring up the other game you mentioned, Republic Commando is just your average FPS with a Star Wars license.

Also, I just found out that Empire At War is being developed by a different company too. Who knows? Maybe it won't suck.

And im totally with you on the Battle of Hoth front though. I've played a lot of Star Wars games in my time and its the only thing that keeps cropping up that irritates me. Im so fed up of playing that level.

I just assume anything that's on the website is LucasArts made, or part made. I hope they make a KOTORIII for the 360, we need a trilogy~! And I want to find out what the hell happened to Revan after I saved the galaxy as him.

But yeah, Hoth sucks. Bring on Kashyyyk anytime. I also can't wait for Battlefront II, it looks awesome, with battles from Episode III, as well as from other films, like the very first scene in A New Hope with the attack on Leia's ship. The screenshots had me excited, but the videos look just like Battlefront with a few new maps.

They better improve the actual gameplay, because mines and lag ruin the multiplayer experience on Xbox Live almost. And the fact massive vehicular bases respawn.

I just assume anything that's on the website is LucasArts made, or part made. I hope they make a KOTORIII for the 360, we need a trilogy~! And I want to find out what the hell happened to Revan after I saved the galaxy as him.

It's true. I was kinda pissed that, according to Kreia in KOTORII Revan just left the known galaxy or something. I seem to recall her saying that.

They need to make games for the Original Trilogy; I'm talking about games like KOTOR. It would be awesome for a game like that. After I completed KOTORII I felt a little empty, and wanted so much more and the idea for an Original Trilogy came to mind.

Besides, there was no sexing in KOTORII ¬_¬

Guest _sTe_

I want a game thats goes through all six episodes. KOTOR style, though not entirely, playing through the whole series. I dunno, I just think it'd be great

Apparently Revan is in some massive war somewher outside the Outer Rim. I thought that was kind of cool, but I wanted to be Revan, instead of the guy I made up.

Was I the only one that never saw the Revan plot twist in KOTOR? I was literally sitting there like ''OH. MY. GOD.''. Because the clues were all there, I listened to them, I understood them, but I just thought it was the regular old Jedi gibberish. The video package they made up was just awesome.

And Malachor V in KOTORII kicks so much ass in terms of look. The surface was boring as fuck though. Same with Manaan in KOTOR. The Selkath annoyed the hell out of me, and the fact I couldn't just run around killing all the baddies was awful.

I just need more KOTOR RPG action. Now.

Sexoring was in the KOTOR games. Ah, I remember that time me and Juhani got locked in that little srotage room and she...oh wait. Not in front of the kiddies. (¬_¬)

Apparently Revan is in some massive war somewher outside the Outer Rim. I thought that was kind of cool, but I wanted to be Revan, instead of the guy I made up.

Was I the only one that never saw the Revan plot twist in KOTOR? I was literally sitting there like ''OH. MY. GOD.''. Because the clues were all there, I listened to them, I understood them, but I just thought it was the regular old Jedi gibberish. The video package they made up was just awesome.

And Malachor V in KOTORII kicks so much ass in terms of look. The surface was boring as fuck though. Same with Manaan in KOTOR. The Selkath annoyed the hell out of me, and the fact I couldn't just run around killing all the baddies was awful.

I just need more KOTOR RPG action. Now.

Sexoring was in the KOTOR games. Ah, I remember that time me and Juhani got locked in that little srotage room and she...oh wait. Not in front of the kiddies. (¬_¬)

Inter-species sex with Juhani...rocking. Best thing is that she swung both ways, she want to sex me when I was a lady Jedi. :P

The Revan plot twist was awesome. I was more shocked with that than I was with the majority of plot twists on TV or in films. You're right though, all the clues were there and after you're told of the twist you think 'damn, how did I not notice?' It's worse when you play it again afterwards because they pretty much spell it out for you at times. But it was awesome.

I'm gonna play KOTORII again now, but I'm gonna go all dark-side and see what happens. I really want a different ending, because the ending was fucking anti-climatic don't ya think?

I'd like to know how I ended up on the Ebon Hawk though to begin with. I can't remmeber if that was ever fully explained.

I don't think he's fighting a war on the Outer Rim because the back of the game states you're the last Jedi and I don't remember any mention of him fighting a war. Could be wrong, I'll find out soon though I guess.

• 6 months later...

Okay, so has anyone played the demo for this yet? I'm downloading it right now, 81%.

I'll let you know what I think of it soon, but I'd still like to get other's opinions on it. Looks promising.

*EDIT: Dissapointing. Essentially, it's an expanded version of 'Galactic Battlegrounds' - a C&C, Star Wars, knock off-style strategy game. I suck at it, too! So, thumbs down from me.

Edited by alternateyou

Guest clintcasey

Well first of all the play mechanics are a whole lot closer to feel of star wras the galatic battle grounds could ever hope to be.

Essentily what they've done for this game is they've taken the squad baised game engion from Warhammer 40K and put some new skins on it. Also the single player demo is UNBEATABLE not because its hard, but because there is an actual bug in the demo. There a space station you have to destroy and the last two hard points which is a hanger bay and a command center can't be hit but must be taken out to destroy the station. Other than that demo runs fine though.

Thumbs up for me.

I can't help it theres a blantant error though, the tutorial still runs fine.

There are 50 planets all together and space terains for all of them. All together this game stands head and shoulders above Galatatic Battlegrounds.

The game should be great. I acctualy haven't played the demo but from what I have read at various sites Empire at War is quite enjoyable and realy copes with the expectations... Can't wait for the full to be out!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone's done the battle of Hoth as well as Shadows Of The Empire.

Rogue Leader was decent.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked the game up yesterday and have gone through a couple skirmishes. So far its exactly what I hoped it be. The battles can be frenzied and the gameplay is pretty fast (which can be adjusted). I've grown sick of strategy games that chug along at a snails pace requiring resource gathering.

I was confused how everything worked and wound up sending a platoon of troops across the Tatooine map straight into a rancor. Twas not the wisest. It's pretty damn fun so far with the hour I've spen

Just picked the game up yesterday and have gone through a couple skirmishes. So far its exactly what I hoped it be. The battles can be frenzied and the gameplay is pretty fast (which can be adjusted). I've grown sick of strategy games that chug along at a snails pace requiring resource gathering.

I was confused how everything worked and wound up sending a platoon of troops across the Tatooine map straight into a rancor. Twas not the wisest. It's pretty damn fun so far with the hour I've spent with it. Have yet to try the campaign, galactic conquest or even touch a space battle but I shall see.

Anyone else pick it up or at least try the demo?