Shadow President

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Type in SHADOW on the second title screen and the game should start

Mmmmm I nuked New Zealand.....for no reason whatsoever. Take that Sheepfuckers

• 6 months later...

Awesome. I just started playing this after ages and I'm having the best game ever. So I'm bringing this thread back.

At the very start I thought "screw it" and just started invading Iraq. I started the war when I had too few troops stationed in the bordering countries, meaning I got my ass kicked, and by the time my troop levels grew they'd already lost their will to fight, so they ended up surrendering. Well, I wasn't letting these bastards get away with being so ambitious, so I attacked them again and this time Turkey joined in. We were destroying the Iraqis until my troops surrendered AGAIN. So I tried to invade them again, but when my troops surrendered for a third time I gave up. Then when Iraq invaded Kuwait I couldn't be assed to go there again so I didn't do anything. I'm not sure how that was resolved, but I know Iraq didn't take Kuwait, and the war isn't still going on.

Somehow out of that conflict my popularity shot up to 99%, and I decided I could have some fun. I turned my attention to Canada for the sheer hell of it. They let me station all my troops there and then BOOM, I turned on them! My Secretary of Defense minister resigned over this, but whatever, I don't need him. The Canadians slaughtered me pretty bad. I killed 3,000 Canucks but lost 106,000 men to the bastards. However, everybody knows Canadians are weak and even though they were kicking my ass, they lost the will to fight. So Canada is now a property of the United States.

I decided Canada wasn't enough and invaded Mexico. That wasn't so hard, I beat the Mexicans pretty bad and they just gave up a few days in. Now I basically want all of Central and South America, so I worked my way downwards and Guatemala's now mine as well.

Meanwhile, the Soviets have built up their troops on China's borders and according to my CIA man, China's planning to do the same soon. Iraq just invaded Saudi Araba and I could've helped but I'm too busy.

My popularity shoots up to the late ninties whenever I win a war, so I should be able to take South America no problem. I'm hoping China and the Union end up nuking the fuck out of each other so I can have my way with a depleted USSR, but I'm not sure anything's even gonna come of it.

Oh yeah, and Egypt's leader was assassinated by the Iraqis.

EDIT: I took Belize, El Salvador and Honduras since, and it turns out China wasn't putting their troops on the USSR's borders, they were for no apparent reason putting them on India's borders. This AFTER the Soviets put a surgical strike on their asses. Turns out I was wrong about my popularity shooting up to the late ninties all the time... I'm holding steady at 45% at the moment. And I came in here to say "oh shit" more than anything else, because I just had my CIA guy check what the Soviets are up to and it turns out they're planning to assassinate me on January 3rd. It's now January 3rd. *Crosses fingers*

EDIT 2: Okay, the assassination attempt failed, but they still managed to kill my National Security Adviser in the attempt. FANTASTIC! They're getting all testy around me too, so it looks like they want a war.

EDIT 3: I decided I wasn't gonna have none of this, foo', so I hit them with a surgical strike. They didn't like that too much, so they nuked me. If I nuke them back, I'll only get myself into trouble with everybody, so I'm not going to. I'm hoping now that everybody else turns on them. Dicks. :(

Edited by Burninating Pesci

Well, nobody retaliated against the Soviet Union quite the way I wanted them to. Yeah, all these people were like "we condemn you!", but nothing else. Nothing of note like a counter-nuking. :(

My popularity sunk to like 19% which is DANGEROUSLY close to the impeachment level, but once I took Panama it went up to 27%. Along with Panama I took Costa Rica and Nicaragua, so I now control the entirety of North and Central America, well, except for the Caribbean.

Iraq successfully invaded Saudi Arabia and the Saudis surrendered, so Iraq now holds Saudi Arabia. China hit India with a surgical strike for whatever reason, and the Soviets have been bullying Romania. Well, it's something to do I guess. Germany's made a few coup attempts in the USSR but all of them failed.

I'm not even a Major Power any more. In fact, I'm "not rated", which means that countries like Iran are actually more of a global threat than I am! The Soviets are far and away the most infulential country now, but they wasted a lot of nukes on me so they don't have the nuclear capabilities I do.

Iraq and the Soviets are both planning major military build ups soon. Egypt made absolutely no retaliation against the Iraqis, which leads me to believe they're pussies.

I'll march on to South America once my popularity's bolstered a bit. Colombia's the next target and they've probably got a bigger military than the Central American nations. If their military doesn't get me, their drug barons will.

I've never understood how you're supposed to form alliances in Shadow President, so I've never played a game on it that hasn't just been nuking random countries.

One time I sent every last nuke I had to Iceland, to see if it would sink... it didn't :thumbsdown:

Well, my first experience was interesting.

Ordered Saddam's assasination, that didn't work too well.

Tried to overthrow the Soviet Union with a coup, that failed...

Then said fuck it, and nuked Iraq. France's coup in the US failed, China nukes me, the USSR nukes Iraq, I nuke China, China nukes me (again), France nukes me, I vaporize France. Eventually the US realizes I'm a bad leader and takes me out of office <_<

So I got bored of being a pussy and hoped that my 20% popularity rating wouldn't lower too much if I nuked the Soviets. The events happened as specified below:

- United States nuke USSR

- China nukes United States

- United Kingdom nukes China

- China nukes United Kingdom

- United Kingdom nukes China

- France nukes United Kingdom

- China try to assassinate the UK's leader. They fail

- China try to assassinate me. They fail

- China tries to do a coup in England. They fail

- United States nukes China

- China tries to assassinate me. They fail

All the while, Iraq is invading Jordan to put alongside their power hold in Saudi Arabia. With my popularity being 16% I should already be impeached.

But yeah, fuck it. I'm going in on those cunts.

I never did go in on China.

I just nuked France. They nuked me. I nuked them back. Then I attacked them with men but they managed to hold me off like three times.

Iraq took Jordan.

I got impeached a few days later. Man, that was awesome.

• 10 months later...

I'm bringing sexy back..... Or this thread.

After reading Potato Head's diary, I wanted to play this game badly. But, like some people, I can't get past the second title screen. I typed shadow quite a few times, but it didn't work. I downloaded DOSBox, but I have no fucking idea how to work it. So, could anybody help me?

I want to nuke South Africa.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Assuming DOSbox has been installed properly, open it up and type the following:

mount <unused drive letter>: <directory the game is in>

i.e. mount r: c:\mydocu~1\shadow

then press enter

then type:

<unused drive letter>:

i.e. r:

then type:

shadow

and the game should start normally!  Let me know if this doesn't work!

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

I've tried typing the location with no caps, with caps where they're supposed to be, in all caps, with spaces, with no spaces, and it still isn't working. Does it matter that it says "Z:/>". I had noticed something about that in the ReadMe, but I didn't understand most of it.

By the way, thanks for the quick reply.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Ah, that's the problem.

Type the location with no spaces. Also, any folder with a name over eight letters long gets shortened to the first six characters followed by ~1.

i.e. My Documents becomes mydocu~1

(Caps don't matter whatsoever)

Well, now it appears that in my screwing around with it, attempting to get it to start, I may have screwed it up. Damn. See, I put the part that you click to get it to go on my desktop, thinking that that would help, and it didn't. And now, I can't move it back, because it says that the program is being used, even though it isn't. So I restarted my computer, thinking it would help, and it didn't. I'm going to try downloading the game again.

Ok, I redownloaded it. The location of it is: C:\Documents and Settings\David\Desktop\Shadow President. So, I would type in "mount r: c:\docume~1\david\deskto~1\shadow~1" right.

If you're about to go to bed, don't bother with it right now. I don't mind waiting until tomorrow.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That is what you would type in, yes. Then you would move to r: as you would in DOS (assuming you've been around computers long enough to remember DOS) and type 'shadow', which should start the game problem-free. At least, it does for me.

Edited by Mr. Potato Head