The Comic Discussion Place

actionpad

So thoguth us comic fans should gather and have a thread so we can discuss the latest comic news and titles.

I am currently reading:

Young Avengers - This title is quality and is refreshing and was not what i was expecting dispite me having bad thoughts at first and being only 5 issues in its ace.

Ultimate Spiderman - Now this title takes alot of stick but i think its quality especially with the recent return of Hammerhead its starting to pick up. Yes i no the Hobgoblin Arc was bad with Harry Osborn being the Hobgoblin but with the Kingpin "gone" from the crime scene and the Hammerhead back i think Ultimate Spidey is on the way up again.

So What Are You Reading?

BASTARD!! I made a comic discussion thread...:(

But yeah, I'm reading:

Astonishing X-Men

Young Avengers

Punisher

House of M

Rogue (just finished)

Gambit (just finished as well)

Star Wars: Empire

Star Wars: Tales

Occasionally I'll pick something random up as well; might start following Star Wars: Republic as well, but that means I'll have to find 75 back issues :P

Whats your Take On Young Avengers Then?

Well, I've only managed to get my hands on issue 4 (might be 3, can't remember) and I really liked it. Once I get paid I'm gonna try and find the previous ones.

My one problem with it is that everyone is a mini-clone of the real (past and present) Avengers, which is just weird. They could've made some effort and make totally new characters.

Oh, and the gay kids are interesting.

Whats your Take On Young Avengers Then?

Well, I've only managed to get my hands on issue 4 (might be 3, can't remember) and I really liked it. Once I get paid I'm gonna try and find the previous ones.

My one problem with it is that everyone is a mini-clone of the real (past and present) Avengers, which is just weird. They could've made some effort and make totally new characters.

Oh, and the gay kids are interesting.

i just started reading Bone again today, amazing comic.

the only other thing i read each month is ultimate spider-man, i hate that book so bad but for reasons that i cannot explain i just keep on going on ("it´s just 2 euro, it´s just 15 minutes, just one more time becaus it´s a good time killer to drive 20 minutes to the comic shop and back" - i need help...)

i just started reading Bone again today, amazing comic.

the only other thing i read each month is ultimate spider-man, i hate that book so bad but for reasons that i cannot explain i just keep on going on ("it´s just 2 euro, it´s just 15 minutes, just one more time becaus it´s a good time killer to drive 20 minutes to the comic shop and back" - i need help...)

i just dislike how it focuses on so few characters (basicly only MJ, Peter, May and Gwen before she died) on a constand basis. Every time they start a new arc they wast tons of time on getting the characters that they need for that story in that you have some books were Spidy dossent even apear (sometimes not even peter). - The other thing that this creates is that you don´t realy care about most of thes "guests" becaus you only get them throwen at you hardcore wen the villan they are related to is around. (Harry is a prime example here, seriusly, if the orignal spider-man series(es) and the movie haddent created well knowen character we asosiate with him no one would have given a shit about him in USM, if you look at the 79 Issues they have put out now, how much do we know about this ULTIMATE Harry Osborn ? It´s almost nothing)

Dunno, i just dislike their time management overall, one issue you got aunt may crying her heart out the compleed book in what could have been don just as efectiv in 2 pages tops...

it´s hard to find the right english words, i just think the orignal series did a lot better in introducing the characters (i do own german reprints of the frist 150 or so issues of amazing), i don´t mind having a soap only bassed book every now and than (for example, after Gwen died in the orignal amazing it felled kinda stupid that the next issues were action domnated like usual besides the few pannels of soap) but wen i look at how USM dos that and how much better (IMO) the orignal series did that with a ton of characters in much less pages (take Harry again for example, they build his turn to the goblin forever, but no matter what he alwas was around every now and than, even if it was just in a few side notes, so you realy got someone you know wen the story finaly took focus on the goblin stuff again - unlike USM were you hear nothing of him and than have to see him make out with MJ one full issue, russo swerve~!)

i did like what i read in the ultimate x-men hardcover books, they were lots of fun~!

i just dislike how it focuses on so few characters (basicly only MJ, Peter, May and Gwen before she died) on a constand basis. Every time they start a new arc they wast tons of time on getting the characters that they need for that story in that you have some books were Spidy dossent even apear (sometimes not even peter). - The other thing that this creates is that you don´t realy care about most of thes "guests" becaus you only get them throwen at you hardcore wen the villan they are related to is around. (Harry is a prime example here, seriusly, if the orignal spider-man series(es) and the movie haddent created well knowen character we asosiate with him no one would have given a shit about him in USM, if you look at the 79 Issues they have put out now, how much do we know about this ULTIMATE Harry Osborn ? It´s almost nothing)

Dunno, i just dislike their time management overall, one issue you got aunt may crying her heart out the compleed book in what could have been don just as efectiv in 2 pages tops...

it´s hard to find the right english words, i just think the orignal series did a lot better in introducing the characters (i do own german reprints of the frist 150 or so issues of amazing), i don´t mind having a soap only bassed book every now and than (for example, after Gwen died in the orignal amazing it felled kinda stupid that the next issues were action domnated like usual besides the few pannels of soap) but wen i look at how USM dos that and how much better (IMO) the orignal series did that with a ton of characters in much less pages (take Harry again for example, they build his turn to the goblin forever, but no matter what he alwas was around every now and than, even if it was just in a few side notes, so you realy got someone you know wen the story finaly took focus on the goblin stuff again - unlike USM were you hear nothing of him and than have to see him make out with MJ one full issue, russo swerve~!)

i did like what i read in the ultimate x-men hardcover books, they were lots of fun~!

As much as I like Marvel I am slowly converting to DC Comics. I just find the stories better at DC. Here is what I have been reading/did read.

Marvel

Marvel Knights Spider-Man

Marvel Knights Punisher

Marvel Knights 4

Supreme Power

Powers (now with marvel but I have only read the ones from when it was with Image)

Venom

Fantastic Four

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimate Spiderman

Ultimate Fantastic Four

The Ultimates

Secret War

DC

Superman/Batman

Superman

Y: The Last Man

Adventures of Superman

Action Comic

Batman

Birds of Prey

Detective Comics

Identity Crisis

Green Lantern

Mr. Majestic

Dark Horse

Sin City

Note: I don't buy all of these monthly but I do have lots of each of them.

As much as I like Marvel I am slowly converting to DC Comics. I just find the stories better at DC. Here is what I have been reading/did read.

Marvel

Marvel Knights Spider-Man

Marvel Knights Punisher

Marvel Knights 4

Supreme Power

Powers (now with marvel but I have only read the ones from when it was with Image)

Venom

Fantastic Four

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimate Spiderman

Ultimate Fantastic Four

The Ultimates

Secret War

DC

Superman/Batman

Superman

Y: The Last Man

Adventures of Superman

Action Comic

Batman

Birds of Prey

Detective Comics

Identity Crisis

Green Lantern

Mr. Majestic

Dark Horse

Sin City

Note: I don't buy all of these monthly but I do have lots of each of them.

Edited by actionpad

I don´t know how far i should compare to the orignal amazing series - i basicly just did it to show the differenc in the character buildup, i just dislike how flat everthing is deliverd on USM. It´s very chopy, take UXM for example, you got the story about Beast leaking information build for month in a side story, or the first time Jean turns into Phoenix, it´s build month in advance without ever taking focus of whats the main arc at the moment, i like it wen stuff is don like that. In USM it´s kinda like they write stuff in a way that you can read the paperback stand alone without being confused what did happen before it starts or will happen after it ends.

And than you get stuff like the wolverin bodyswitch story, good lord, whoever alowed that to be printed needs to be publicly executed ASAP.

Oh yeah, a cupple of month ago i picked up the ultimates hardcover number one in what can only be discriped as a wirred combination of bordome and to much monney (i had no interest in them at all) and i was supriesed how good it was. I guss i´ll get me their next hardcover aswell.

and lets bnot forget to remind all of you to read Bone, best comic evarrrrrrr~!

Edited by Michael Matzat

Currently, I'm reading:

X-Factor

- The first comic I ever really got into. Catching up on old times right now. Started at #122 and am working my way both up and down.

Mutant X

- I am in love with the Havok character...so I followed him to Mutant X, and I have issues 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 right now.

Uncanny X-Men

- Just started collecting this with issues 424, 425 and 426 (I believe).

OK so i went to Forbiddon Planet and picked up a few new titles.

House Of M Series: This Series is very good from the 2 issues that i have read. My only downfall was the fact that Gambit appeared on the cover of Issue 1 yet only appeareed in Issue 2 getting his ass handed to him.

Ultimate X-Men: Picked up the last 2 issues involving Wolverine, Storm and Lady Deathstrike very good story and Wolverine has got to get with Storm sonner or later.

• 4 weeks later...

I´ed like to note that i like the current Ultimate Spider-Man story, the "gangster" part of the comic clearly is the best thing about the series, before i liked the run with blackcat and kingpin the best out of all runs and this one at least dos not make me cry in pain like a lot of other runs this comic had.

And don´t you guys forget to read Bone, there is nothing ebtter on this planet than Bone by Jeff Smith.

frontpagemarque.gif

http://www.boneville.com/

Edited by Michael Matzat

Just got the latest batch of comics yesterday, and I've got one or two to go, but just finished reading issue 3 of Spider-Man: House of M, and the twist at the end was awesome. For some reason I didn't see it coming. I don't usually get susprise by things in comics (or TV/films for that matter), so it's kinda odd that this caught me by surprise. Although in my defence, there weren't many (see: any) hints.

Also just read through Sabretooth 1-4: Open Season, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sabretooth is there (duh) as is Sasquatch (sp?) and people are being killed, and we're led to believe it's Sabretooth, but we find out it isn't and it turns out being the Wendigo, the creature Sabretooth is using all these people as bait so he can hunt it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned that 20th Century Boys will be released in English. Get it as soon as posible ! - It is the most awsome Manga ever published, no childish crap, drawings that actualy look thrilling, awsome awsome story that showes you that the artist planed the story he has been releasing for years and years now ahead very deteiled.

http://www.animecastle.com/catalog/books/g..._acct-cb01.html

GO AND GET IT, there is no way you will regret it, awsome awsome thriller.

Currently released outside of asia in Italy, France (won several pirces there for being the best comic ever or something like that) and Germany (we are currently at issue 12) - the japanes edition is at book 19 and the "smal issues" that get published every day or week or however it is don in japan are still running so there will be more tankbones (or what ever they are called)

Seriusly, if you never read a manga becaus of "enter the usual anty manga reasons here" - get this one, it is the exact oposid of all the other bullshit that the majorety of manga is that gets published over here.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...nga.php?id=3424

ok, projected releas 2007 >_>, i receomend you to learn one of the languages it is released in, it is worth it !

Edited by Michael Matzat