The Comic Discussion Place

actionpad

Just a general question, are Graphic Novels basically comics in book-form? Or are they more, like..novels with illustrations?

Hmmm...uh...dunno how to answer that to be honest. I've alwas thought of graphic novels as being big comics essentially. They'll usually group together a 5-issue story into one book, and I call those graphic novels. I'm probably wrong, but that's what I call them.

Oh yeah, Young Avengers is awesome. As is New Avengers. And the Punisher. Garth Ennis is a legend among men.

Generally a graphic novel is considered, in my opinion, an extended comic. Whilst a comic book is your weekly/monthly/whatever release, the graphic novel tends to work as a standalone story, although they are often made up of a series of comics.

That's a godawful explanation, but basically it's a big comic.

100 Bullets

DC / Vertigo

A noir-ish thriller series written by Brian Azzarello and drawn by Edward Risso. Multi-award winning series that's up to issue 63 (of a total of 100).

I joined it on 50, bought most back-issues so far so my reading is a bit confused in order, but once I've got the full 1-63 I intend to read through over a couple of days.

Great series that's really kicking off right about now.

About a powerful family who control the US (undercover of course) and the "Minutemen" who are hired by the family for hundreds of years to protect the family and also to prvent the family taking eachother out or trying to fight for control.

The minutemen got "decommissioned" so their 'leader' has been putting them together again to stop the uprising from within the family.

On the surface, the leader guy also goes to people offering them an attache case with proof of who has done them wrong in the past along with a revolver and 100 rounds of untraceable ammo, which they acn use to kill this wrong-doer.

Coolios and un-cheesy.

So... did anyone read the Ultimate Spidey Annual? Or the Ultimate X-Men Annual? What did you think of the plot twists at the end? I really wasn't expecting

Spidey to start dating Kitty Pryde or Gambit being killed and Rogue absorbing his powers

So... did anyone read the Ultimate Spidey Annual? Or the Ultimate X-Men Annual? What did you think of the plot twists at the end? I really wasn't expecting

Spidey to start dating Kitty Pryde or Gambit being killed and Rogue absorbing his powers

Also, did anyone read the first issue of the new Ghost Rider mini-series by Garth Ennis? Beautiful art, and from the first issue, looks like a great story to boot. Can't wait for the next one to come in.

Ghost Rider mini-series!?! Written by Garth Ennis!?! Ok, I know jack about Ghost Rider, but the fact Ennis is writing it has it sold on me already. How many issues is it do you know?

Also, did anyone read the first issue of the new Ghost Rider mini-series by Garth Ennis? Beautiful art, and from the first issue, looks like a great story to boot. Can't wait for the next one to come in.

Edited by Y2Johnny

Damn, that is a pretty nice cover actually.

By the way, something I've never quite worked out regarding Marvel and it's Max/Marvel Knights comics, and what they actually are. Would I be right in assuming that the Max comics (like The Punisher) are the equivilent of an 18 rated film? So what exactly are the Marvel Knights range?

By the way, something I've never quite worked out regarding Marvel and it's Max/Marvel Knights comics, and what they actually are. Would I be right in assuming that the Max comics (like The Punisher) are the equivilent of an 18 rated film? So what exactly are the Marvel Knights range?

Actually, I believe the Marvel Knights are just comics that are set in a somewhat darker mood, but still fit continuity (yeah, I know, Marvel and continuity aren't the best of friends, but still). At least it's what I've read, I really don't see much of a difference anyway. And from what I've read, your description of the MAX comics fits the bill. Sorry I can't be more informative, though.

Tis funny when you've got Wolverine running around in New Avengers, Astonishing X-Men, his own title and sometimes the other two X-Men titles. It's like, huh? How the hell is he doing all this at once? Then you've got the whole House of M thing which is going on, but all the other comics are still going on and seemingly not taking any notice. Is this suppose to have all happened BEFORE the House of M or AFTER it? Makes my brain hurt...

Actually, I believe the Marvel Knights are just comics that are set in a somewhat darker mood, but still fit continuity (yeah, I know, Marvel and continuity aren't the best of friends, but still). At least it's what I've read, I really don't see much of a difference anyway. And from what I've read, your description of the MAX comics fits the bill. Sorry I can't be more informative, though.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd bring this back up and see what people's opinions are on the whole ending of the House of M arc. Personally, I thought up until the last two issues of the main title, it was a big let down. But the final page of issue 7 had me intrigued. I'll write about in below just incase people haven't read it yet.

When Wanda said "no more mutants" at the end of issue 7, I thought 'oh, that will be fixed by issue 8, but no quick fix, nothing, all mutants except for those protected by Emma Frost's mental 'bubble' are no longer mutants it seems. Marvel said it would be a big shake up, and I guess this is what they meant. Never saw it coming, and never expected it to have not been fixed in the next issue. I loved the twist personally, but I'm really curious to see how (if at all) they're going to rectify it. Although, I wanna know if the ending of House of M 8 where they see Hawkeye's costume pinned up against a wall in the old Avengers mansion means anything significant; like a return from the dead maybe?

Looking forward to the follow up to House of M, the House of Decimation, which looks interesting as well.

Both New and Young Avengers have been really really good, and I'm loving the whole Spider-Woman 'mystery' thing that's going on in New. I'm liking the gay relationship in Young, as well as the whole thing with the Patriot.

My only real joy when it comes to comic books anymore is reading Wizard magazine to find out what's new and what's hot. I base my choices on what's HOT, then hope and pray that it comes out in a trade-paperback so I can buy and read the whole arc at one time.

What I'm most interested in reading ... eventually... is, House of M, Infinite Crisis, The current Spider-Man arc "The Other", and Astonishing X-Men.

Unfortunately, my time limits me from collecting month-to-month, but I love reading the trades. When I was younger, I was all about flashy art and pretty covers, but as I've matured I've definitely become more interested in strong storytelling.

So, there you go.