Greatest line up of all time?

Never seen this posted before, if it has been it must have been sometime back. Simple question and all too, what line up do you believe to be the greatest to ever grace football?

Personally for me it's the 98/99 line up that won United the treble. I've never seen anything like it, they just seemed unstoppable at the time. Giggs was probably at his best years of his life with runs that scared nearly any single defender in the world. Beckham was at his highest point in his career nearly too, or certainly getting to it. The strike force was just amazing too, it wasn't as if they were all major names either, yet at the time they were putting goals galore in the back of the net. You had possibly the greatest keeper of all time too and so on. It just seems like a line up that could have beaten any team I've ever really witnessed.

Andy Cole and Yorke were just an amazing strike force too, I still think they're one of the greatest partnerships of all time. Add Sheringham and Ole (Cant spell his second name :P ) and they had one heck of a strike force. The midfield was mighty too with Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and Keane being able to hold off nearly any other midfield at the time. How amazing was good old Schmeichel too? Good god was he the most amazing keeper I have seen in my life and I'll never forget that downright superb save against Arsenal in that FA Cup match, which I personally think is one of the best match's I've seen. After that night, with the penalty save and the amazing run in extra time, you just knew it was going to be something special.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

I would say without a doubt the '70 Brazil sqaud. Just unstoppable, really. I have seen videos of the tourney and it was just beautiful.

And I would agree that the 98/99 Man U sqaud was pretty damn awesome, it's hard to see the United sqaud of today match up to that one.

Andy Cole and Yorke were just an amazing strike force too, I still think they're one of the greatest partnerships of all time.

The SAS > Cole and Yorke

Guest LucaIII

98/99 Team was good but i think the early 90's Man Utd team was just as good although never won the european cup:

GK: Schmeichel

DR: Paul Parker

DC: Steve Bruce (Best English Man Never to be capped)

DC: Gary Pallister

DL: Denis Irwin

MR: Andrei Kanchelkis

MC: Paul Ince

MC: Bryan Robson

ML: Ryan Giggs

FC: Eric Cantona

FC: Mark Hughes

The Dutch team of the late 70s. A crime they never won anything really, they're definately the most innovative and interesting line up of all time. I also have a soft spot for the Ajax team of 1995, who beat Milan in the final of the Champions League - Kluivert, Seedorf, Litmanen, Davids, the De Boers etc etc.

Brazil 70 without a doubt in my mind. Other great national teams in my opinion were the 50's Hungary, 58 Brazil, 70's Holland and Germany. Recently France's team from around 98 until around 2001. If i had to pick an year it would be 2000.

As for club football, my favourite team ever was the early 90's Barcelona. Other clubs i love to watch playing were late 80's Milan and the first 5 time European Champions Cup champions Real Madrid. Also 70's Bayern Munich and Ajax as they were pretty much the basis of their respective national teams and played the same style of football.

The Liverpool team of 87/88 is generally regarded as our greatest side ever. The peak of that team was the 5-0 win over Forest at Anfield when Forest were still one of the top sides in the country. Sir Tom Finney described that match as the greatest performance he had ever seen, and the Liverpool side as the best he had ever seen. They won the league, and lost to Wimbledon in the cup final, in possibly the biggest upset in FA cup final history. Deffo the best team not to win the double.

That was around the time I started watching football, and watching that team, and especially John Barnes, there was no way I could ever be a blue.

I don't know if they were the best side ever, as it's too hard to judge different eras, and there were a lot of great sides around before my time, but they're the best I've seen. The Milan team of the early nineties was close to getting my vote though.

Guest LucaIII

The Liverpool team of 87/88 is generally regarded as our greatest side ever.  The peak of that team was the 5-0 win over Forest at Anfield when Forest were still one of the top sides in the country.  Sir Tom Finney described that match as the greatest performance he had ever seen, and the Liverpool side as the best he had ever seen.  They won the league, and lost to Wimbledon in the cup final, in possibly the biggest upset in FA cup final history.  Deffo the best team not to win the double.