Graphic Questions

Alright, I just officially got Adobe Photshop. I used the trial version for a while so that I could cut and make my own kyky pictures for EWR/TEW. Now, I've decided that I want to try and learn a little more, so that I can begin to make signatures and graphics just like some of the top guys.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where to start. Are there any pointers getting started? Is it pretty easy to learn, and cut the hang of? Also, is there any place to kinda learn the ropes on how to use all the programs, so that soon I'll be able to make some sweet lookin' graphics?

Thanks

Guest Jules

I would say that it is quite easy to learn. It's definitely recommended that you check out the Resources list right here in this forum and hook up with some tutorials.

Download some cool brushes (deviantART is my choice), download lots of fonts, and burn away.

Image1.jpg

alright, I went to Jasc Paint Shop Pro, and I've been trying to learn a little...I haven't found that many good tutorials on how to make graphics for PSP.

This is my first graphic that I've made, let me know whatcha all think.

Ok, I worked on this for most of the afternoon, as the other graphic just took me a few minutes. I've been having a lot of trouble with editing, and using text. I've been trying to figure out a way to get it to turn out better looking on the graphic.

Backlash.jpg

I've had plenty of fun screwing around with my Paint Shop Pro, but find it dumb that there aren't many good tutorials out there. If someone could help me out with a couple of questions.

1.) Is one of my big problems, first, is it possible to get nice thin looking text, not kinda of bulky looking.

2.) How do you get your entire graphic to look glossy?

last

3.) When you've got a picture that you want to blend into your graphic, how do you go about doing this? Do you erase part of the picture, or is there a different way of going through this?

EDIT:

Here is a graphic I tried putting together, I tried a couple new things, and tried workin' on the text. I'm not sure, I was looking for a way to put a border around the text, but I'm not sure if your allowed to do that. Anyway, this is what I've come up with.

wwebanner.jpg

Edited by THIR13EN²

Backlash Graphic:

Pretty good. The top text could maybe be moved down a little, and I think the RAW logo should be more prominent, so maybe add a drop shadow.

WWE Graphic:

I'm not too keen on the effect Batista has on him. The background isn't too bad, nor is the text. I would move the WWE logo across maybe, because there's a big gap between it and Cena, yet a small gap between it and Batista. You could use the same sized cuts to sort this out, though.

1) Do you have anti-alias checked when you do your text? Any thin texts should look fine if it is.

2) If you mean to make it stand out more, try duplicating the layer and then setting the above layer's blending option to Overlay or Hard Light (I find these two work best).

3) If you mean blending a straight edge - select the edge of the picture you want to blend, go to Selections > Modify Selection > Feather. Choose a setting (depending on how big the picture is and how much you want to blend) and then keep hitting Delete until it looks the way you want it.

If you mean blending a picture into the background - try different layer properties and opacities on the picture.

422926543915141.jpg

My last question goes like this, I think I can get picture to just blend and that's it, but how do you get the effect say around Benoit's eye, where his body isn't there? do you have to erase his body so you can see the background eye? Does that make anymore sense?

Pretty much to begin with just take a soft brush and erase what you don't want. For big projects you will want to learn about layer masks, but for now erasing will be fine. And for what it's worth you're making excellent progress so far, keep it up.

You can put borders around the text quite easily. It's called a stroke. If you look at your layers pallete, right click on the text layer and select blending options. There will be a myriad of options in there, all of which you'll use at some point, but the one you want at the moment is 'Stroke' Click that box, and you'll see that the text gets a thick red line around it. That's your border, from there you can play with those settings. Usually a one pixel black border will be perfect, but you'll want to change this depending on what you want to achieve.

Any other photoshop questions, let em rip.

Also, if you post a picture of something you consider 'Glossy' I'll try and help you with that, I'm not sure what you mean at the moment.

Pretty much to begin with just take a soft brush and erase what you don't want. For big projects you will want to learn about layer masks, but for now erasing will be fine. And for what it's worth you're making excellent progress so far, keep it up.

You can put borders around the text quite easily. It's called a stroke. If you look at your layers pallete, right click on the text layer and select blending options. There will be a myriad of options in there, all of which you'll use at some point, but the one you want at the moment is 'Stroke' Click that box, and you'll see that the text gets a thick red line around it. That's your border, from there you can play with those settings. Usually a one pixel black border will be perfect, but you'll want to change this depending on what you want to achieve.

Any other photoshop questions, let em rip.

Also, if you post a picture of something you consider 'Glossy' I'll try and help you with that, I'm not sure what you mean at the moment.

Sorry, I was talking photoshop. I thought you were as well.

Ummm, I don't know what to suggest sorry, most of the tools are the same they're just in a different place.

Does AJ still use PSP? You could ask him.

Does anyone know where I can find Paint Shop Pro brushes, or any good paint shop pro brushes. When I look for any I only seem to find flowers, and bears, and crappy ones, I did find one however, but I'm not really sure how to get them installed.

EDIT: I figured out how to import...just lookin' for some good places to find brushes

Edited by THIR13EN²