NHL Draft 2005

CKN

draft2005_wide.gif

Okay I figured we could get a discussion/topic going on about the NHL Draft which is tomorrow at 12:00pm. It is airing on TSN but I think it is only the first round. You can stream it off NHL.com (excluding Canadian users).

Anyways it is obvious Pittsburgh will be picking Sidney Crosby but after that it is uncertain who could go number two. There is a long list of second pick choices like Jack Johnson, Benoit Pouliot, Gilbert Brule, Bobby Ryan, Anze Kopitar or if you need a goalie Carey Price. So yeah it could go many ways.

For those of you who don't know this is the draft order and it will be done serpentine which means in the second round the 30th pick team will pick 31st and then go up the list and then go down and up and so on and so on until the end of the draft.

# - Team

1 - Pittsburgh

2 - Anaheim

3 - Carolina

4 - Minnesota

5 - Montreal

6 - Columbus

7 - Chicago

8 - Atlanta

9 - Ottawa

10 - Vancouver

11 - Los Angeles

12 - San Jose

13 - Buffalo

14 - Washington

15 - NY Islanders

16 - NY Rangers

17 - Phoenix

18 - Nashville

19 - Detroit

20 - Philadelphia

21 - Toronto

22 - Boston

23 - New Jersey

24 - St. Louis

25 - Edmonton

26 - Calgary

27 - Colorado

28 - Dallas

29 - Florida

30 - Tampa Bay

So let the discussion begin. Wether it be on who you want your favorite team to pick, who will be picked second, who will go where etc.

The draft starts in just under 13 hours.

Guest Grapehead

I'm interested in Brian Lee, considering I haven't heard anything really about him, so I was surprised that Ottawa went with him. I wasn't suprised Ottawa took a defenseman though, for a team that has been a reputation for good defensive hockey, they are going to be in some trouble not too far down the road.

The Flyers better take Ryan Parent instead of Durand because we just signed Carter and Richards.

Edit: Didn't see Parent was taken by Nashville and now Clarke's talking with Florida? This can't be good.

Edited by CM Punk

oh well... I got Crosby and Johnson right, and Pouliot and Ryan reversed. Also, i think the blackhawks would have gotten Brule if he was still available, or maybe not because i always thought they were picking O'Marra in case he wasn't. I'm happy the islanders got O'Marrabut i was expecting them to get a winger.. someone like Jack Skille, although he was drafted really early considering i was expecting him to still be available by the time of the Islanders pick. LA and Phoenix were lucky in my opinion to still have Kopitar and Hanzal available when it was their pick. It seems like in this draft in case of indecision they never went with the European player. I also don't understand the Caps pick. And that is all i have to say so far.

Well I watched the first round on TSN then listened to the rest of it on the radio so I have some things to say.

- What were the Canadiens thinking about when they drafted Carey Price... They could have had Brule a great player to any team. Sure Price is good but the Canadiens have Theodore.

- The Senators had a good draft I think although some of there last few picks I have never heard about or the radio station hockey panalists didn't know anything about. But midway through the draft the Sens were "stealing" some great prospects like Cody Bass of Mississauga Ice Dogs and Ilya Zubov of Russia. Although to get Bass they traded Todd White away to Minnesota which is kind of disapointing since it is his hometown. I don't really know anything about Brian Lee other then what I have read... but if the scouting staff had him at number 4 on there list I won't say anything negative until I see him play since Ottawa has had good drafts in the past.

- Cool that Darryl Sutter got to pick his son Brett in the draft and what is weird though is they were bother picked 179th overall 27 years apart.

- I could really see some fruststration in John Ferguson when talking after the pick mostly because of the Owen Nolan situation. But anyways I hope the cap shows the Maple Leafs that you can no longer build a team of high paid veterns and there will be more young players on the team then maybe I can like them more. Also cool that Jeff O' Neill gets to go to Toronto to be with his family too because of their current situation.

- Cool to see Danny Syvret go to Edmonton so he can play with London teamate Robbie Schremp.

- And last but not least no doubt the first 6 players will be excellent help to their teams except for Carey Price who won't make an immediate impact while Theodore is around.

Guest Bluesman

Good pick for the Wild getting Pouliet. We are in desperate need of a high scoring winger, and our system is stocked with playmaking centers. Too bad Thelen won't be playing this year, sounds like the rule changes would really help him a great deal.

Crosby appears on The Tonight Show

Canadian Press

8/4/2005 10:46:27 PM

LOS ANGELES (CP) - Sidney Crosby shot pucks at a clothes dryer, just like he did as a boy in Cole Harbour, N.S., during his U.S. network TV talk show debut.

The NHL's No. 1 draft pick was on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno for six minutes late in the hour-long recorded broadcast Thursday night.

Viewers missed the introduction of the 17-year-old hockey star at the beginning of his segment because commercials ran into the opening seconds of his time.

Leno began the interview by asking Crosby about his hockey background, prompting a photo being shown on camera of his mother's dryer dented and marked by the impact of pucks.

''After a while she didn't care,'' Crosby told Leno. ''But it took a bad beating.''

His mother finally got a new dryer last month, Crosby said. Leno couldn't resist teasing him about the purchase.

''Oh, Mom, I'm making millions now. I got you a new dryer,'' Leno said in mimicking Crosby.

Video of Crosby playing hockey as a boy was then shown, and Crosby mentioned that his father was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in 1984. His dad never made it to the NHL.

''He was a goalie so I wanted to be a goalie growing up,'' said Crosby.

But his dad felt he'd have more fun skating as a forward and talked him out of being a goalie. It turned out to be a brilliant move.

Leno asked Crosby if, at his age, he could grow a playoff beard, and Crosby said he settled for a slight moustache.

Leno wanted to know who Crosby's boyhood hockey idols were, and Crosby replied that they were Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux - the Penguins owner and Crosby's future linemate in Pittsburgh. Crosby gushed about getting the chance to skate on the same ice as Gretzky when he was 14 in Los Angeles.

Crosby will make his first trip to Pittsburgh next week. When the NHL season begins, he expects to be living with Lemieux's family although those details have yet to be worked out. There are four children.

''I'm going to be doing some babysitting, I think, from what I hear,'' Crosby said.

Actor Rob Schneider, the previous guest who stayed on the set after his interview and during Crosby's time, interjected: ''What's his dryer like?''

A clip from a dated film promoting Pittsburgh, described in the clip as the Renaissance City of America, was shown.

Leno then congratulated the two-time Canadian major junior player of the year, and told him he just happened to have a clothes dryer backstage. It was wheeled out and the door opened so Crosby, using a hockey stick and pucks, could aim for the opening.

The first two shots struck the left side of the dryer. Then he missed left. The next two shots went in. A video replay of a puck going into the dryer preceded the commercial break that ended Crosby's segment.

Crosby looked relaxed and comfortable on the set. As often as has been said about him, he came across, in terms of poise and attitude, as older than his actually age. He turns 18 on Sunday.

If there were any jitters, he kept them well hid. He wore a shirt, open at the neck, and a dark suit. He showed all the makings of a great ambassador for the sport.