"Les Miserables" Bound for the Big Screen

Ananas

Les Misérables bound for big screen

By Chris Hastings, Arts Correspondent

(Filed: 02/10/2005)

It has been named as Britain's favourite musical and even the Queen has enjoyed a private showing. Now Les Misérables, the theatrical phenomenon of the age, is heading for the big screen.

Cameron Mackintosh, the show's producer, confirmed last night that talks were under way for a film adaptation of the musical, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this week.

Any big-screen adaptation of the show, which is based on Victor Hugo's classic tale of struggle and redemption in post-Napoleonic France, is likely to be a huge box office success. More than 53 million people around the world have bought tickets for the stage version, which will next year overtake Cats as the longest-running musical in British history.

Industry insiders believe that a Hollywood version of the show, which has won nine Tony awards, will easily top the takings of recent film musicals such as Evita and Phantom of the Opera.

Mackintosh declined last night to give specific details about the project. He said: "In the last six to nine months there has been renewed interest in the idea of a film adaptation and several big players now want to be involved.

"That doesn't necessarily mean we are going to hand the project over to a big name auteur director. We want someone who has a vision for the show that will put the show's original team, including me, back to work.

"We don't just want a straight adaptation. We want a film that audiences will find as fresh as the actual show."

Mackintosh last night described Les Misérables, written by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil, as the greatest story ever adapted for the musical stage. Its success is, however, a far cry from its opening at the Barbican Theatre in October 1985. "I never thought we would make it out of the Barbican and into the West End," he said.

Finally! This is the first "must-see movie" for me in a hell of a long time...now I just need to find anyone I can drag to go and see it with me when it finally comes out.

Finally! This is the first "must-see movie" for me in a hell of a long time...now I just need to find anyone I can drag to go and see it with me when it finally comes out.