LEMAR - "IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE"

GWEN STEFANI - "WHAT YOU WAITING FOR?"

DANIEL POWTER - "BAD DAY"

WESTLIFE - "YOU RAISE ME UP"

KELLY CLARKSON - "SINCE U BEEN GONE"

MCFLY - "ALL ABOUT YOU"

JAMES BLUNT - "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL"

KATIE MELUA - "NINE MILLION BYCYCLES"

Has this year really been that bad for music? BEP, Lemar, Daniel Powter, Westlife, Kelly Clarkson and Katie Melua should not be up with a chance of winning this. While James Blunt was only half decent (and is the favorite), Gorillaz song was quite good and I can see the appeal with the McFly one (definately their best by a mile) and the Gwen Stefani tune but the other 6 are shockers.

Where's Coldplay, Oasis, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand. I'd at least expect artists like Sugababes, Robbie Williams, Madonna or even Girls Aloud to show up on the list as they've at some success this year, unlike half of the top ten.

The top ten songs to choose from for record of the year are:

BLACK EYED PEAS - "MY HUMPS"

GORILLAZ - "FEEL GOOD INC."

LEMAR - "IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE"

GWEN STEFANI - "WHAT YOU WAITING FOR?"

DANIEL POWTER - "BAD DAY"

WESTLIFE - "YOU RAISE ME UP"

KELLY CLARKSON - "SINCE U BEEN GONE"

MCFLY - "ALL ABOUT YOU"

JAMES BLUNT - "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL"

KATIE MELUA - "NINE MILLION BYCYCLES"

Has this year really been that bad for music? BEP, Lemar, Daniel Powter, Westlife, Kelly Clarkson and Katie Melua should not be up with a chance of winning this. While James Blunt was only half decent (and is the favorite), Gorillaz song was quite good and I can see the appeal with the McFly one (definately their best by a mile) and the Gwen Stefani tune but the other 6 are shockers.

Where's Coldplay, Oasis, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand. I'd at least expect artists like Sugababes, Robbie Williams, Madonna or even Girls Aloud to show up on the list as they've at some success this year, unlike half of the top ten.

Go away :angry: Seriously though, do you honestly believe this is anything more than the pop industry giving itself a good ol' masturbation for the night?

Guest *Doink*

I believe the top ten was voted for by ITV viewers, so while the awards are certainly just an excuse fort record bosses to stroke each others cocks for a night, the general TV viewing public are to blame for the lacklustre shortlist.

Oasis are exactly where they belong: Not on the list.

I hope McFly win.

Agreed, even though The Importance of Being Idol was the best thing they've done for many years, Oasis' new album was all kinds of shite.

McFly are a nice little throwback to the 60's, they're not what I'd call good, but they're not bad in my books either.

Wouldn't mind to see Gorillaz win, I preffered Dare, as it really had a dancey beat, but Feel Good was good too.

BEP are shite.

I respect Lemar somewhat. He (along with Will Young) has actually been able to break out of the pop idol stereotype and made himself somewhat legit.

Gwen Stefani... Still on the fence about her. Although I liked most of No Doubt's stuff, I've not really got into her solo stuff yet.

Powter, Westlife, Clarkson & Blunt can all go to hell. Cunts.

Melua... I don't like her new album, her debut wasn't too bad though.

So yeah, Gorillaz or McFly, preferably Gorillaz.

I hope McFly win.

Agreed, even though The Importance of Being Idol was the best thing they've done for many years, Oasis' new album was all kinds of shite.

McFly are a nice little throwback to the 60's, they're not what I'd call good, but they're not bad in my books either.

Wouldn't mind to see Gorillaz win, I preffered Dare, as it really had a dancey beat, but Feel Good was good too.

BEP are shite.

I respect Lemar somewhat. He (along with Will Young) has actually been able to break out of the pop idol stereotype and made himself somewhat legit.

Gwen Stefani... Still on the fence about her. Although I liked most of No Doubt's stuff, I've not really got into her solo stuff yet.

You don't see pop fans moaning that people like Steps never win NME awards.

Precisely. ITV's nothing more than lowest common demoninator programming, and this reflects that. It's mostly tripe, yes, but it's tripe that's sold well, so theoretically could draw big ratings. Nowhere near as many people would tune in to see who ITV prefers out of Architecture In Helsinki and Psapp, would they?

That said, if James Blunt wins this, Skumfrog's going on a killing spree.

I hope McFly win.

BEP are shite.

I love you more with every post :wub:

Oh, and on a second note, Coldplay should only be on there if it's for Fix You. <_<

Although it's blatantly a pop list anyway, otherwise where's the quality rock/metal singles for the year? The average evening/primetime ITV viewer isn't interested in any of that.

({)

I'm not gonna start shouting off about "Holy shit! Where's Million Dead & Mars Volta, this list is shit!!!!1!", because it's pop music, yet they seem to have completely scraped the barrell of pop music, and there is much, much, much better pop music that the casual prime time fan can be interested in.

Stuff like the Go! Team, Robbie, Madonna, hell, even some of the more 'indie' bands like Arctic Monkeys & Kaiser Chiefs have released pop music that anyone can enjoy; but instead ITV seem to have released the shortlist from a seven year old girls wetdream, and included Gorillaz & Melua to make it look like a proper list.

Precisely. ITV's nothing more than lowest common demoninator programming, and this reflects that. It's mostly tripe, yes, but it's tripe that's sold well, so theoretically could draw big ratings. Nowhere near as many people would tune in to see who ITV prefers out of Architecture In Helsinki and Psapp, would they?

I fucking LOVE Architecture in Hellsinki. That band is the greatest pop band EVER!

Guest chatterbox

BLACK EYED PEAS - "MY HUMPS" Most Annoying Song EVA!

GORILLAZ - "FEEL GOOD INC." Should Win, Best Song This Year.

LEMAR - "IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE" Not Annoying, And Not Catchy, Bah, It Has No Chance In Hell.

GWEN STEFANI - "WHAT YOU WAITING FOR?" Not Annoying, But Catchy, It Has A Chance.

DANIEL POWTER - "BAD DAY" I Predict The Minimum Of Third Place, Great Song I Think, And Very Popular.

WESTLIFE - "YOU RAISE ME UP" Song Sucks! But Why Does My Whole Family Like It?

KELLY CLARKSON - "SINCE U BEEN GONE" Fuck Off!

MCFLY - "ALL ABOUT YOU" Busted Didnt Win It, Neither Will They, I Dislike Them.

JAMES BLUNT - "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL" Annoying, But It Is Easy To Listen To, It Will Win Because Most People I Know Love The Song.

KATIE MELUA - "NINE MILLION BYCYCLES" Random Song. I Hate The Lyrics. Nine Million Bycycles In Beijing ... Thats A Fact ... WTF?

oKay, so here is my predicted order from popularity of the song in England.

10. BLACK EYED PEAS - "MY HUMPS"

9. LEMAR - "IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE"

8. GWEN STEFANI - "WHAT YOU WAITING FOR?"

7. KELLY CLARKSON - "SINCE U BEEN GONE"

6. KATIE MELUA - "NINE MILLION BYCYCLES"

5. GORILLAZ - "FEEL GOOD INC."

4. MCFLY - "ALL ABOUT YOU"

3. WESTLIFE - "YOU RAISE ME UP"

2. DANIEL POWTER - "BAD DAY"

1. JAMES BLUNT - "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL"

And this is the ored in which I WANT it to turn out.

10. WESTLIFE - "YOU RAISE ME UP"

9. BLACK EYED PEAS - "MY HUMPS"

8. KATIE MELUA - "NINE MILLION BYCYCLES"

7. MCFLY - "ALL ABOUT YOU"

6. KELLY CLARKSON - "SINCE U BEEN GONE"

5. GWEN STEFANI - "WHAT YOU WAITING FOR?"

4. LEMAR - "IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE"

3. DANIEL POWTER - "BAD DAY"

2. JAMES BLUNT - "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL"

1. GORILLAZ - "FEEL GOOD INC."

Guest Small Red

In the case of the Monkeys, Radio 1 played them a hell of alot the week they released.

My order of what i predict it will be:

10)DANIEL POWTER : Bad Day

9)BLACK EYED PEAS : My Humps

8)KATIE MELUA : The Bicycles Song

7)GORRILAZ : Feel Good Inc

6)KELLY CLARKSON: Since You Been Gone

5)LEMAR: If theres Any Justice

4)GWEN STEFANI: What You waiting for?

3)JAMES BLUNT: You're Beautiful

2)McFly: All About You

1)Westlife: Raise Me Up

I agree that it's a mainstream award, so it should be pretty mainstream songs that are in it, but the system for getting down to this final ten was totally shite. It was 5 groups of 6 songs and the top 2 with the most votes from each group went through. Fair enough - nominate 30 pop songs that have done well over the year and get that whittled down to 10, but who decides what song goes in what group? IIRC, Westlife and McFly were in the same group as Robbie and Sugababes, so that's why they're absent.

And the voting system on the night is so badly flawed it's unbelievable! They do it "Eurovision" style, by going round the different ITV regions and give them points on who's got the most votes. They whittle it down to 5 before they even get that far. So... technically a song could win the competition without actually getting the most votes from the UK as a whole if, say, they get 10 points from a smaller region with less people, but lose out on the regions with more people, but could still get more votes in the latter because of the larger population. Wank system. Not to mention they said charity records weren't allowed (hence no Amarillo), but how does that let the official Comic Relief song by McFly through?

And anyway, surely the record of the year (in a pop sense, not on artistic merit) is the record that sells the most copies?

Meh, maybe I'm getting too worked up about what, as Benji said, is nothing more than the pop industry and ITV getting off on themselves for the night.

Here were the groups BTW:

Group A:

James Blunt - You're Beautiful

Audio Bullys featuring Nancy Sinatra - Shot You Down

Amerie - 1 Thing

2 Pac featuring Elton John - Ghetto Gospel

Coldplay - Speed Of Sound

Lemar - If There's Any Justice

Group B:

Daniel Powter - Bad Day

Sean Paul - We Be Burnin'

Charlotte Church - Crazy Chick

Bodyrockers - I Like The Way

Will Smith - Switch

Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For?

Group C:

Sugababes - Push The Button

Robbie Williams - Tripping

Jennifer Lopez - Get Right

Westlife - You Raise Me Up

Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha

McFly - All About You

Group D:

Katie Melua - Nine Million Bicycles

Snoop Dogg featuring Charlie Wilson and Justin Timberlake - Signs

Rhianna - Pon De Replay

Akon - Lonely

Oasis - Lyla

Black Eyed Peas - My Humps

Group E:

Mario - Let Me Love You

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

Mariah Carey - We Belong Together

50 Cent - Candy Shop

Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

Stereophonics - Dakota

If I was to pick 2 songs from each of those pots, my nominees would be:

James Blunt - You're Beautiful

Coldplay - Speed Of Sound

Daniel Powter - Bad Day

Bodyrockers - I Like The Way

Robbie Williams - Tripping

McFly - All About You

Snoop Dogg featuring Charlie Wilson and Justin Timberlake - Signs

Oasis - Lyla

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

Stereophonics - Dakota

But looking at what happened, the fact that Lemar, who I don't even think reached number one beat 3 songs that were number one and one of the biggest dance tunes of the year is a shocker. The fact that the Westlife song out about 2 weeks ago which was number 1 for about a week beat two of the longest runners at the top spot this year shows this is flawed. Katie Melua and BEP were two of the three worse songs in that pot, and out of the 6 in that group they are the ones that will be forgotten in a year or so, then the fact that Kelly Clarkson got through is bad.

The ten records should either be in terms of record sales or airplay. The fact Arctic Monkeys didn't even make the 30 is poor. Most of the top ten chosen won't be heard after January. On second thoughts, looking at the list I would say they are all acts that ITV can get to perform live on the night (Gorillaz on a screen or something) whereas the majority of others (Snoop Dogg, Coldplay, Oasis, Robbie, 50 Cent, J'Lo etc) probably wouldn't show up