UEFA Champions League First Knockout Stage - The Draw

Lineker

• Admin

The draw for the next stage of the Champions' League can be a confusing process. 4thegame battles the minefield to explain how the draw works and which clubs could be awaiting Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Rangers.

The Rules

Teams from the same nation cannot play one another.

Winners and runners-up from the same group cannot be drawn together.

Group winners are to be kept apart in the draw.

Group-runners up will play the first leg of the two legged ties at home.

What Does This Mean?

As the likes of AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter, Villarreal and Lyon won their groups, Arsenal and Liverpool will avoid them and enjoy a better draw than runners-up Rangers and Chelsea. However, some curveballs could well be thrown their way as Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and PSV Eindhoven finished as runners-up in their respective groups.

In full, Arsenal could face Munich, Benfica, PSV, Rangers, Real Madrid or Werder Bremen, with Ajax being added to that list for Liverpool.

Meanwhile, Chelsea will face the tricky tasks of one of AC Milan, Inter, Barcelona, Juventus, Lyon or Villareal, with Rangers possibly facing a Battle of Britain with all the above teams along with Arsenal and Liverpool among their possible opponents.

Draw 1

Chelsea v Barcelona

Draw 2

Real v Arsenal

Draw 3

Werder Bremen v Juventus

Draw 4

Bayern Munchen v AC Milan

Draw 5

PSV Eindhoven v Lyon

Draw 6

Ajax v Inter

Draw 7

Benfica v Liverpool

Draw 8

Rangers v Villareal

I said I'd love to see Madrid/Arsenal and Chelsea/Barcelona, bloody awesome. If Madrid can get back to top form, that will be a stunning game. Cant wait to see that one. Barcelona/Chelsea? Ha, looks like time for revenge, time for the Ronaldinho show to begin :P

We got a fine draw, maybe even the easiest we could have got. Bremen wont be a push over, but I'll be shocked if we don't go through. Bayern/Milan sounds like a brilliant tie too, one of them has to go, I reckon Milan will over come them. Rangers got a fine draw, and I believe they can actually get through. Inter/Ajax will be okay, Inter should slaughter them though. Lyon/PSV would be a very good game, although I still expect Lyon to fly passed them after the form they've been in. Liverpool got a decent draw, maybe Benfica can upset another English team, doubt it though.

As an Arsenal fan I'm really glad we've drawn Real Madrid. Obviously it's a tougher couple of ties but it's a game I think everyone has wanted to see at one point or another over the last few years. Good attacking football.

Not a bad draw for the Brits, I think if they've all got a fairly decent chance. I don't think Rangers will get through in the end, Liverpool probably will, I can't really comment unbiased on Arsenal and Chelsea...probably going to be in the next round too.