Dan Brown, The Author Question

paidelr

My point being it's easy to take an isolated section from a book and say "I've seen better".

The problem being that that's a 3 line or so snippet from a 600 page book. It's easy to do quality in small doses, but not as easy consistently.

Basically, it's like judging a film on its worst scene.

To Zan: I think you can take any book and look at the exact logistics of what has been said at parts and pick holes, seems a bit pointless though. Unless the holes are gaping, then they are generally ignoreable.

Edited by HGwannabe

Yeah, well, that excerpt was just plain badly written, that's like the shit I wrote when I was 14. What's your point? I was saying the excerpt was bad, it's not like I was basing the entire book off a single excerpt.

Quality of writing isn't everything. Reading Shadows of the Empire now that I actually write myself, the writing is amatuerish, the metaphors non-existent, it's too repetitive, and character development is nothing revolutionary.

But, as a book, it's not bad. I can't speak to the DaVinci Code, but just because the writing isn't absolutely amazing doesn't make it a bad book.

Quality of writing isn't everything. Reading Shadows of the Empire now that I actually write myself, the writing is amatuerish, the metaphors non-existent, it's too repetitive, and character development is nothing revolutionary.

But, as a book, it's not bad. I can't speak to the DaVinci Code, but just because the writing isn't absolutely amazing doesn't make it a bad book.

I think a great example of that is the Harry Potter novels. Not revolutionary writing by any means, but it comes together and has spawned a huge franchise.

My point being it's easy to take an isolated section from a book and say "I've seen better".

The problem being that that's a 3 line or so snippet from a 600 page book. It's easy to do quality in small doses, but not as easy consistently.

Basically, it's like judging a film on its worst scene.

To Zan: I think you can take any book and look at the exact logistics of what has been said at parts and pick holes, seems a bit pointless though. Unless the holes are gaping, then they are generally ignoreable.

Dan Brown is a terrible writer. As a story-teller, however, he's one of the best. The action and the mystery is what keeps his books going, and makes them fun to read. I just wish he'd write down the bare bones of his story, then.... you know, give it to someone who could write.