EAST WING: ALTERNATEYOU VS LIVID

alternateyou versus Livid

Story: A record company has been searching for freelance designers to submit their ideas for the jewel case cover to one of their top bands latest CD releases. This does not include the back or spine-- only the front. Based on the design of the front, they will pick the top designs and ask the artists to submit the full design to them for the decision.

Basic Rules: Design the front jewel case cover for an upcoming album from a band, or if you can't find any that you like, your favorite album from a band. Only the front, though... we'll take baby steps for the first round.

Restrictions: Has to include the name of the band and the name of the album somewhere. Including the logo of the recording company is optional.

Size: 550x550

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

Here's my entry. I don't expect to win with it, I don't expect to come anywhere near beating Livid or winning any battle/tournament/contest here in the battleground. Especially against a person who does win.

thekinison7tm.jpg

The Kinison are now broken up, so this is a wee bit out there. But I just think that it would be cool for a new album. Also, I got the title (A Whole New World) from their website (www.geocities.com/kinisonband) talking about how they broke up, but it seemed a good title for a broke up band. May be against the rules (while not technically, I don't think), but I like it and I had fun doing it.

Yeah, I didn't give a time frame, which pretty much means you have until 11:59 PM before it's no longer Sunday and you can't submit your graphic :P

And I had better see alot of last-day graphics submitted, otherwise I'll see about replacements.

I'd rather not have winners by default =\

Edited by The Mask of Norro

ALTERNATEYOU

-------------

Pros: Really comes off great as a jewel case cover... loving the placement, the background style, the font selections. Just a pretty damn nice, simple idea.

Cons: The picture quality is a bit off, and I *HATE* the effect you used on that primary logo. Man, you had a perfect font selection and placement, but that deep blue with a bright blue stroke and that ugly hard shadow really made it look too rough and of poor quality. Also, with teh "A Whole New World" font, I'd have maybe gone with a more *blue* blue, but not a deep one. Keep it faded, but maybe just a bit more of a tint of blue to it, make it match the cover more.

LIVID

-------------

Pros: The grimy, grungy feeling to the whole thing really works well here... logo placement and font selection is nice, colors work well together, and it really is a design that would stand out on it's own.

Cons: Here's the proble [ Tyler ] encountered... it seems more like a graphic then a jewel case cover. That said, however, you did a better job then [ Tyler ] in making it at least look like a jewel case cover at the same time. "THE VICE" font could really use a light drop shadow to make it pop out from the cover a bit more, as it blends in a bit too much for the casual eye to catch what the name is, and normally you want the name to be apparent to the casual eye. That outer glow you've used for "Lamb of God" really isn't all that great either... I'd have just stuck with what you did with "THE VICE" font, only added a drop shadow there as well.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

alternateyou's cover works nicely as a front cover and all, but the quality brings it down. That logo really brought down the front, just because compaired to the rest of the cover it just looks way too rough. You've got such a great smooth feeling going on despite the poor picture quality, and then the logo just pops out in such a bad way because of the different color and the rougher appearence.

Livid's cover would work better as a graphic to tell you the truth, yet it still works as a jewel case cover. The colors used really work well together, and the grungy style came off really well for this thing... really makes the whole thing more eye-catching, not many would pass that one by. However, the hard-to-read text for the logo brings it down, considering most people would like to casually look at the cover and know what band it is. Always great to have an attention-grabbing cover... but not if people don't know who the hell it's by.

In the end, Livid takes this one by an edge. Although his works better as a graphic then a jewel case cover, the fact remains that it worked as a jewel case cover as well, and there were less factors bringing down the quality of it then there were for alternateyou. Alternate really cut it close though in the fact that his worked great as a jewel case cover... it's just that the execution really could have been better.

However, it was a great showing by the both of you, and I thank you both very much for participating. Livid, congrats on your round-advancement... and alternateyou, I really do hope to see you again next time :)