Iron & Wine

tristy

Does anyone else besides Shibby & I like them? They're kinda like Nine Inch Nails (not really, just based on the fact that it's a one man band + contributors). It's really simple music, and I guess it's folk. It's beautiful music, to me atleast. Amazon.com says it's depressing (or something) but I don't think it is. Just somber songs.

If you've heard of Iron & Wine in the past few years, it's most likely because of the movie, Garden State (covered "Such Great Heights" by the Postal Service) or that M&Ms commerical which has the same song on it.

You know... I think Postal Service covered "Such Great Heights" but I may be wrong...

As for Iron & Wine, it's like the folk music all the emo kids at my school listen to (Because the subject matter is really depressing). I happen to enjoy Iron & Wine a lot. But definitely gets too depressed for me if I listen to too much at once.

I loves me some Iron & Wine. Prefer the stripped I&W stuff, compared with the tracks done with Calexico, but then again, I think the full band merely adds to Sam Beam's wholesomeness (if that's a word).

And are they touring anywhere else in the UK? I'd look myself, but it's early. :shifty:

Oh, and Iron & Wine's cover of Such Great Heights is now used in the ask.com adverts. :wub:

Guest Professor Kou

I've been an Iron and Wine-o (See what I did there, lol Kou you so funny.) for a couple of years now. Since I have a new wipe of my HD and Beatnik's Send-A-Thon didn't include any Iron & Wine I'm off to "purchase" some more music.

They play them often at my school's coffeehouse. I'd definitely say they're good, considering that I'll actually listen to them despite the fact that I REALLY hate folk music.