Major League Baseball

Toe

Guest Giraffe

I suppose that is my entire feeling around baseball right now. I think that the market this offseason has been ridiculous, and I believe that Scott Boras is my goat right now. Sure you could point to the owners, sure you could point to the players, sure you could just say that it is what it is and the market does as it will, but I truly believe it is men like Boras who are creating this absolutely ridiculous money burning fiasco that is going on. Does it ruin my excitement for baseball this coming season? No. Does it make me not want to watch baseball? No. I'm sure it does for some people, and I'm sure a lot of it is a bad message for kids of my age and younger (high school down). I suppose that although I don't like what has happened with the terrible inflation in prices of players, I suppose it won't get any better now and it really is not hurting my love of the game.

Still, fuck Scott Boras.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Toronto Blue Jays have reportedly made a big pitch to lock up centre-fielder Vernon Wells, floating the idea of a whopping US$126-million, seven-year contract extension.

The proposed deal would be among the richest in baseball history, slotting Wells in behind Alex Rodriguez ($252 million for 10 years), Derek Jeter ($189 million for 10 years), Manny Ramirez ($160 million for eight years), Todd Helton ($141.5 million for 11 years) and Alfonso Soriano ($136 million, eight years).

The Toronto Blue Jays have reportedly made a big pitch to lock up centre-fielder Vernon Wells, floating the idea of a whopping US$126-million, seven-year contract extension.

The proposed deal would be among the richest in baseball history, slotting Wells in behind Alex Rodriguez ($252 million for 10 years), Derek Jeter ($189 million for 10 years), Manny Ramirez ($160 million for eight years), Todd Helton ($141.5 million for 11 years) and Alfonso Soriano ($136 million, eight years).

Source - Canada.com

Sounds good to me. Gotta keep the team player, and if they're gonna overpay for anybody it might as well be Wells.

Guest Giraffe

Dice-K signed with the Red Sox for six years, $52 million. Could be up to $60 million with incentives like Cy Young and MVP Awards. He also will have his own private entourage with him as well to take care of him in America. That's a good deal considering Boras wanted $14 million-per-year. The Red Sox rotation now looks like this:

Schilling, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Papelbon, Wakefield

Lester could possibly be returning in the second half of the season and according to the Houston Chronicle the Red Sox are currently the leader in Roger Clemens talks. If all goes well, I give the nod to the Sox to take the AL East for the first time since 1995. That's if Schilling is Schilling (15-17 wins, 3.50 ERA), Beckett improves (15-17 wins, 3.75 ERA), Matsuzaka plays well (15 wins, 3.75 ERA), Papelbon adjusts (13-15 wins, 3.75 ERA), and Wakefield holds steady (10-12 wins, 4.00 ERA). Now the Sox just need a closer (if they sign Clemens, why not move Papelbon back?) and hope that Drew stays healthy in that five spot.

Source - Canada.com

Sounds good to me. Gotta keep the team player, and if they're gonna overpay for anybody it might as well be Wells.

Huge offer. But after reading Wells comments he didn't seem impressed. Yikes.

The Jays are nuts if they think Wells will resign with them for anything less than 170 mil. In 365 days Vernon Wells will be the most overpayed player in the history of baseball. End of story.

Source - Canada.com

Edited by GoodGodWhatABeatnik

So Vernon Wells remains a Blue Jay for a long time. I like the signing, it is like a mission statement from the Blue Jays that they are no longer willing to let their big players leave town.

What I don't like is that Wells is making more then Mats Sundin.....

Apparently Rogers is willing to spend now on the Jays, since maybe he can't overfund his side of the Leafs anymore.

As for the Sox, I don't like the signing of Drew at all. They made a nice trade to get Donnelly, and I think Romero was a nice pick up too. Resigning Doug Mirabelli was a smart move too, not sure why they let him go... especially since Wakefield is still here, Shoppach is gone, and Kottaras isn't ready just yet.

Matsuzaka, it should be interesting to see how it plays out. We may have a steal on our hands, we may get a flop. However, the investment alone taps into a huge Japanese market which has already shown to be lucrative for Boston. He's getting as much frenzy with the Japanese natives as Matsui and Ichiro, which will help pay back the insanely bogus bid price.

Source - Canada.com

The Jays are nuts if they think Wells will resign with them for anything less than 170 mil. In 365 days Vernon Wells will be the most overpayed player in the history of baseball. End of story.

Your story is a pack of lies. >_>

Vernon Wells just passed up on an incredibly inflated contract. But in any case, congrats to the Jays for showing they are willing to pay a lot of money for cornerstones to their franchise.

On the other hand, he could have gone out this year and tanked/got hurt, and end up deflating his value. This was a safe move, and to be honest, a guy coming from a working class family might not see a great amount of difference between $126 million and $200 million. Either way he, his kids, his kids kids and his kids kids kids are set up for life.

The appeals court said federal investigators can now use the names and urine samples of about 100 players who tested positive for performance enhancing drugs 3 years ago. The players' union tried to say that it violated the players' constitutional rights.

http://sports.myway.com/news/12272006/v2774.html

I doubt it'll happen, but if one of those names turns out to be Barry Bonds, there should be major hell to pay, and every single home run he's ever hit as a Giant should be tossed out on principle.